Halforums Academy 2 Story Commentary Thread

"MAH TIME TO SHINE!" -Cletus :D

Celt Z is here to try and stop the millions on fights that break out when you have school on Saturday. (Answer: don't have school on Saturdays.) And feeling cocky, because WHY WOULD YOU TRY TO TALK TO THE TEACHER?!? Just lay low, stupid!

By the way, nice music in the beginning, Gas. I feel like my uniform needs a plaid skirt option.

This felt an awful lot like one of my actual days in high school if you included quickies with my boyfriend in the music room more activities.

GasBandit

Staff member
By the way, nice music in the beginning, Gas. I feel like my uniform needs a plaid skirt option.
Well, coincidentally, there IS a plaid skirt option.

celtz plaid.png

It's just not much of a *uniform* unless everybody wears it ;)

This felt an awful lot like one of my actual days in high school if you included quickies with my boyfriend in the music room more activities.
Well, perhaps one of these days you'll get a boyfriend, and the simulation can be complete. Thing is, right now the only one who has caught your eye is Rendar...

fade

Staff member
I find it interesting how well some characters mimic their counterparts. It's kind of interesting that we can be reduced to just a few traits.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find it interesting how well some characters mimic their counterparts. It's kind of interesting that we can be reduced to just a few traits.
It seems about half and half. I've heard as much "wow that's totally not how high school went for me" doing this as I have "yep that's totally how it went," and that's not even counting the people who deliberately rolled characters that depart from their actual selves. One also has to keep in mind that this is actually a very simplistic simulation that gets a lot of narrative embellishment from yours truly.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was actually also surprised about Gregory and Eriol - they've been very discreet. It's kind of a relief, after how Raven carried on - I was worried that public sex might turn out a lot more rampant it did, but apparently some kids are using the options for privacy available to them.

(There are several rooms around the map that can only be entered as pairs, and attempting to do so counts as a sexual proposition - bathroom stalls, locker room shower stalls, the gym storage room, the machine room by the athletic field, the counselor's office, and there's a love hotel - the pink sign just up the street from the city plaza. Also, in the "evening" time of day, people can invite other people to come study with them at home, and if they're horny enough, it invokes the trope)

GasBandit

Staff member
Oops. I think I forgot to uncheck "Notify subscribers" when I uploaded day 6. So some of the people who subscribed to me for Space Engineers videos might be wondering "what the hell is this" right about now. Especially since, as unlisted videos, the Halforums Academy videos don't link to one another on youtube (only via the blog).

Oops. I think I forgot to uncheck "Notify subscribers" when I uploaded day 6. So some of the people who subscribed to me for Space Engineers videos might be wondering "what the hell is this" right about now. Especially since, as unlisted videos, the Halforums Academy videos don't link to one another on youtube (only via the blog).
I can only imagine some of the thoughts going through people's heads.

God Damn. Is suicide an option in this game? Cause I'm pretty sure if I don't get killed soon and this keeps up that's the only option for me.

Hey Gas, can you provide a screenshot of what everyone thinks of Ms. Dieb, like you did with other students at the end of this last video? I'd be curious to see how close this class is to civil unrest.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey Gas, can you provide a screenshot of what everyone thinks of Ms. Dieb, like you did with other students at the end of this last video? I'd be curious to see how close this class is to civil unrest.
Amazingly enough, there are several students (even besides Rendar) who like the teacher, for whatever bizarre reason. I had to make a gif of several instances of the chart (all taken within a second of each other) because the chart randomly alternates between their personal opinions and professional appraisals. So even though the chart below is "changing" they all represent multiple thoughts or opinions held about the teacher at almost the same instant in time.

petra day 6.gif

GasBandit

Staff member
I see Rendar is now on the "waifu" boat. Null can double-date!
Difference is, Rendar's waifu is 3d.

Well, as 3D as one can get in this situation anyway.

Like I said, the UI translations in this game were done by horny weeaboos. "Mai Waifu" is an Azumanga Daioh reference, but what it really indicates in game is a strong amount of love for someone with whom he is in a relationship. The scale of "pink" statuses goes -

(Not in a relationship):
I Think I Like Them...: Moderate Love
Like, But Can't Say It: Moderate Love but some past physical contact interactions failed
One-Sided Love...: High love for a target that doesn't feel the same.
Hate But Love: Moderate Love and Hate; Love is greater than Hate
No Doubt It's Love!: High love
Wanna get back together: High love held for an ex.
OVERFLOWING LOVE!: Maximum love rating but not in official relationship.

(Within a relationship):
I want to break up: Love is over.
Lover, for now: Love is low.
Mai Waifu: Love is high, relationship healthy
Shameless!: High love, but caught their lover in a gender-restricted area (wrong bathroom, locker room, etc)
Let's Get Married!: Maximum love.

Meanwhile I'm so terrified of girls that I don't even know the teacher exists. SAFE FROM STABBING?!

GasBandit

Staff member
Since I'm listing them off, I might as well cover the others:

Don't Know: Hasn't had enough interactions to form an opinion yet
Who?: Moderate dislike
No interest.: High dislike

I'm Curious! This character holds both a few Like and Love points
Classmate Some Like points
Friend Moderate Like
Good Buddies High Like
Closer Than Friends, Not Quite Lovers Moderate Like and Love
Sex Friend Sex has occurred and there is moderate Like
Normalfags Go Die another bad weeaboo/4channer translation. Should read "Get a room," Person likes the target but has seen them getting lovey-dovey in public
Love Rivals You are involved with the same romantic interest as this person, and there's still more Like than Dislike toward you
Former BF/GF Moderate Like with a former lover
Best Friend: Maximum Like

Not Good With These Types Moderate Hate
Don't Want To Get Involved Moderate hate and failed physical interactions
Physically Impossible Moderate Hate, previously had successful physical interactions.
Love But Hate Moderate Love and Hate; Hate is greater than Love
10000 Deaths Not Enough Appears if this character caught target inside an opposite gender-restricted room
You Should Die... An evil character will hold this status toward someone they hate.
Fated Enemies Appears after a fight if Hate is high
Slut A special status independent of Hate score; it appears toward characters with chemistry compatibility with 4 or more others including the one holding the opinion
Piece Of Shit... Max Hate

Unforgivable! Specially offended status - someone picked someone else over them, or admitted cheating to them, etc. All social interaction fails until there is an apology.
Cheater! Subject has witnessed target physically interacting with someone else while in a relationship with subject.
I'll Get You Evil character has witnessed target physically interacting with their lover, target is in danger of being murdered.
TOGETHER FOREVER Evil character has either witnessed target (their lover) cheating on them, or has lost too much consideration for their lover - target is in danger of being murdered.[DOUBLEPOST=1417018114,1417018004][/DOUBLEPOST]
Meanwhile I'm so terrified of girls that I don't even know the teacher exists. SAFE FROM STABBING?!
Just because you don't have an opinion of someone doesn't mean they don't have an opinion of you...

I know the origin since AD is a favorite of mine, I just felt bad for Null and his awkward Otaku translations. Plus, I'd watch an episode dedicated to that double-date. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
I know the origin since AD is a favorite of mine, I just felt bad for Null and his awkward Otaku translations. Plus, I'd watch an episode dedicated to that double-date. ;)
Here's a funny thing, I noticed when Bones got in a relationship with Ash, the "talk about love" Otaku dialog changes from "My 2D waifus will never let me down!" to "You know, maybe 3D isn't so bad after all..."

GasBandit

Staff member
So Day 7 is Monday, right? Like you're skipping no-school Sunday?
No, it's sunday. There's no way for me to elegantly skip sunday without penalizing couples who have made dates for sunday, the askee will treat the asker as if they stood them up.

GasBandit

Staff member
It'll be done today, I'm most of the way through the evening.

On a surf break, I saw this, it amused me because a little of this sort of thing happens on day 7.