HalFitness

Necronic

Staff member
So I forgot about this thread and I started to get serious about weight loss/exercise the beginning of this summer, so I'm going to post from then.

Height : 6'2"

Starting Weight: 240 lbs
Current Weight: 224
Goal: ~200-210 lbs

Starting run: <1 mile (~0.5 miles, hard to tell)
Current Run: 1 mile @ 9 min
Goal: 3 mile @ 30 min

Starting Chest Press: 100 lbs
Goal: 150 lbs

I should probably start doing deadlifts and squats as well, but I have some nerve damage in my left palm so its really hard to do certain exercises (I can only do the chest press because the sitting machines don't hurt my hands for some reason).

Also I quit smoking. On week four right now. Hitting the gym ~3x/week. I was never really fat, I'm just a big dude, but @ 240...I guess I was fat. Anyways, really I want to get that "muscle" look. I've never had it before, I really want it. My upper chest and arms have been hurting like a bastard for the last month or so, but I'm already starting to see some definition coming in that I never saw before.

I also made it through a Bikram yoga class and was able to attempt each form once. That's a new personal best. I don't think I'll be going back though, I'm not sure there's much benefit from it. It's just an endurance test.

Alright, here we go again.

Goals:

- 20 chinups/pullups in one set (personal best was achieved about 3 weeks ago at 16 reps)
- 100 pushups in one set
- Max bench press of 200 lbs (personal best was 185 lbs, currently around 150-160)
- 10 widegrip pullups in one set (current personal best is 4)
- Improve overhead press (currently extremely weak)
- Aerobic workouts to improve cardiovascular health
- Be able to touch toes (damn you flexibility!)

I'll take a before picture and some progress pictures every 2-3 weeks. I was doing so good for a while and then fell off the wagon. Time to get back on track!

As for weight... I don't really care as long as I notice slimming around the midsection and size increase in the muscles I'm working (I tend to actually gain weight while working towards the goals I've listed).

I do not have a "before" pic sadly, mostly due to feeling too gross, but this is what I look like after 3 and a half months of doing derby. I am still considered "overweight" by BMI, but I have a hard time giving a shit at this point. I just need to work on toning my arms and tummy outside of derby, legs and butt are basically covered already.

image-1722715042.jpg

Gonna try the 200 situp challenge again. Maybe 100 pushup as well but let's not get crazy. I actually just started again like 3 days ago so this is serendipitous!
I've generally heard that situps should be avoided. Partially due to relatively poor abdominal activation, but mostly because the repeated flexion is supposed to be bad for your back. Planks seem to be a popular alternative, if you're inclined to try something different.

Cajungal

Staff member
I do not have a "before" pic sadly, mostly due to feeling too gross, but this is what I look like after 3 and a half months of doing derby. I am still considered "overweight" by BMI, but I have a hard time giving a shit at this point. I just need to work on toning my arms and tummy outside of derby, legs and butt are basically covered already.

View attachment 11703
You're looking awesome. :) I bet derby's a really fun way to get fit.

I've got some big changes coming, activity-wise, that could get me through this huge plateau. A new teacher is going to offer us yoga classes at 8$ per lesson. I've been stagnating there, and I welcome a challenge from an accomplished instructor. Almost the entire faculty is going to come, so it should be fun, too! I've also started running up and down the hill on the kids' playground after school. It really gets my heart rate up, and I can do that for much longer than I can run.

Still eating well. Steamed up some bok choy, carrots, and snap peas to eat with brown rice and tofu for lunch tomorrow. Also enjoying a great dish with quinoa and sweet potato hash with roasted kale. I've gotten really good at slicing vegetables and keeping them in the fridge so I always have healthy snacks ready. Really enjoying dipping carrots, peppers, and snap peas in a little hummus. :)

Even if I'm not doing any better, looks-wise, I feel well. Will post more if anything changes (fingers crossed)!

Cut beer out of diet. Took 2 hours to spread 3 tons of gravel today, but it was mostly cheating. I had it delivered at the top of the hill and all the wheelbarrowing was downhill.

Went back to the gym and got my baseline.

Current weight: 255 ?!
Squat: 200 (no problems, will increase)
OHP: 135 (straining for it, but form was good - think this is a good weight)
Deadlift: 265 (Could go higher with no issues)
Also squeezed in a little run

I had NO IDEA that I had gained weight to this extent while I wasn't going to the gym. This shit WILL NOT fly.

Also, the Pacific Rim soundtrack makes for some epic-level motivation.

Necronic

Staff member
I ran for 2.6 miles on monday without a break. Surprisingly it wasn't cardio thta finished me, it was my left knee starting to give out. I'm a little worried about the knee, so I'm going to keep an eye on it. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased by this, almost got my 5k ready.

Necronic

Staff member
I tried doing deadlifts for the first time yesterday. This is one time I really wish I had a personal trainer to show me proper form. Its such a form dependant exercise. I was only using 40-60 pounds while practicing form and even then I think my form was so bad that I got close to hurting my back.

That said I'm going to keep trying to do them. I can tell that they are an amazing exercise. My gym really isn't set up for that kind of weightlifting, but still, gonna keep at it.

Hey @Azurephoenix I remember you saying something about touching your toes; came across this hamstring stretch, thought it might be useful.

Thanks for that. I will have to try it out after my runs and weightlifting workouts (I've always hated stretching my hamstrings because like he was saying... the back of my knee feels like it's on fire).

I tried doing deadlifts for the first time yesterday. This is one time I really wish I had a personal trainer to show me proper form. Its such a form dependant exercise. I was only using 40-60 pounds while practicing form and even then I think my form was so bad that I got close to hurting my back.

That said I'm going to keep trying to do them. I can tell that they are an amazing exercise. My gym really isn't set up for that kind of weightlifting, but still, gonna keep at it.
I know I've seen a video about dead lifts somewhere. I'm at work, but I'll look for it when I get off. Or I'll just make one for you if I can't find it.

Deadlifts should NOT be hurting your back at such a low weight... if you're going to start doing squats and DLs, I STRONGLY urge you to pick up a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, if you haven't already.

Don't be afraid to ask gym staff to at least hold a camera of you doing your lifts, and see how they match up with the graphics:

The book breaks down each stage of each exercise, letting you know stuff to keep in mind: even minor stuff like where you're looking at can make a major difference in your technique.

Remember, with the deadlift, to pop 'dat ass!

Since I started school, I've had more time and energy for yoga at home. At minimum, I've been doing 20 minutes in the morning, which includes the 10-minute YRG Wake Up (some very light stretching) and the 12-minute YRG Red Hot Core. I'm also going to start hitting the gym again for their yoga classes. But here's the tally that I've done so far. Most of my exercising will be with the YRG (aka: DDP Yoga), which I've talked about before.

Last Week (Sept 2-6)
Monday: Nothing. Sad face.
Tuesday: 25-minute Fat Burner
Wednesday: 25 minute Energy + 15 minute Red Hot Core
Thursday: Wake Up (it was a REALLY busy day with a lot of biking)
Friday: Wake Up, Energy, Red Hot Core
Saturday: Wake Up + Fat Burner

This Week
Monday: Wake Up + Red Hot Core. In the afternoon, Fat Burner + Red Hot Core again.
Tuesday: Wake Up + Red Hot Core.
Wednesday: Wake Up + Red Hot Core, then Fat Burner + Red Hot Core after school.
Thursday: Wake Up + Red Hot Core
Friday: Wake Up + Red Hot Core, then 30-minute Stand Up (LOTS of balancing) + Red Hot Core.
Saturday: Wake Up, then 60-minute class at Goodlife gym.

I'm really enjoying the Wake Up. It's a great, quick way to stretch out my muscles after sleeping for around 8 hours. I find my neck is especially sore when I wake up, but by the end of the Wake Up, it feels great. Here's hoping I can keep up with this on a weekly basis. Already, with all that daily core work, my gut feels a lot smaller.

Last edited:
Went running today. Was rushed because I lazed around in bed a bit before going, and I had to hurry up and get showered for work.

Still, for the first time back in a while, I'm ok with a 14.5 1.5 mile.

You know, as a STARTER. But my pace was excellent, could breath at the end of it, and I felt like I could sustain a conversation if I needed to, which is what my marathon-running buddy tells me is important. *chuckles*

Eep, sorry, I forot to update yesterday!

But, STOMACH PIC'SSSS!

I seem to be back on track with my exercising - going running regularly again and beginning to exercise at home. My diet is what really needs work right now. It's not terrible, but could use some improvement.

Keep it up guys!

PR'd my Overhead Press today.

Kinda happy with that. My upper body has always been my weak point.

Squat form was a bit iffy - fixed it for the second and third set.

Deadlifts were mighty, if lower than my best. This song is my go-to motivation song for those last few reps.

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
I strained my rotator cuff on Tuesday doing chest presses. Kind of sucks, because it means I need to take it easy for a couple days, and because I screwed up to get there. But also I'm vaguely proud for having pushed it that hard. I get the impression that when you are doing 1 RM you will do this from time to time.

Still trying to get my deadlifts right. Same with squats. I have a good feel for it without weights, but when you add the weights in it gets a little harder to do right/it doesn't feel exactly right. Especially with the deadlifts because my gym has these octoganal weights, so I can't really roll the bar back into my shin. Kind of lame.

Roller derby assessments tomorrow, already feel like I'm going to throw up, plus I hurt my ankle on Monday and don't know if it will fuck with my ability to get shit done. I need to distract myself so I don't have a panic attack.

BananaHands

Staff member
Sorry about the delay, friends. Hong Kong and a weird week. Anyway:

Starting Weight: 189
Current Weight: 185.3
Goal Weight: 180
Height: 6'1
Starting BMI: 24.9
Current BMI: 24.41
Starting BF%: 18.7
Current BF%: 17.3

I'm surprised I managed to lose weight while on vacation. But I did manage to run along the Shin Yun river which was real cool because they were setting up for the moon festival.

My diet has been going great. Cheated with some jalapeno chips when I got back to the states.

I'm actually doing alright flexibility-wise too!

It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I would update again:

I feel like comparing a few weeks ago and now I'm seeing some improvement, it's not drastic, but I do think good things are happening. The side view is where I see the most change.

I'm exercising a lot and now that I have a running partner, there's no slacking off for me. My diet could still use a kick in the pants, but it's not as bad as it could be. I'm going to really get my diet in gear in the coming months though. I'm determined to not give up this winter link I did last yaer. Hoo-rah!

I ran a 5K on Saturday (kind of spur of the moment) and got a time of 29.19. It's minutes behind where I used to be. I'm proud that I finished though and that I never stopped to walk. I've got another 5K in a month, so I'm starting prep for that. Woot!

Has anyone here ever used any of those fitness bands that are all over now (like the Nike Fuelband and the like), and does anyone recommend them?

I am mostly trying to artificially motivate myself to walking/running more often as I'm often stuck in the office at night working on reports.