HalFitness

Has anyone here ever used any of those fitness bands that are all over now (like the Nike Fuelband and the like), and does anyone recommend them?

I am mostly trying to artificially motivate myself to walking/running more often as I'm often stuck in the office at night working on reports.
I'm sorry this is so late, but my friends have the Fuel bands and they love them! They help keep them motivated. And it is more specifically made for people who...move? Like if you're a weightlifter, it won't do much because it generally only keeps track of distance. From what I understand. But yeah! They enjoy them.

Also, I just want to throw out some encouragement to everyone. With the changing seasons, changing weather (for me anyway) it's easy to let things slide. But don't. Don't you do it! I know, for me, I've worked way to hard this summer to give up now! I may have slipped a bit here and there, but you know what, I'm never ashamed to fall. I can always get back up and try again.

So, I hope you guys feel similar! No matter if you've slacked off,or been having some struggles, you can always get back on the horse. Keep up all of the hard work guys! :heart:

Had a health screening at work today (sponsored by our insurance company). While my blood pressure was a touch above the "low-risk" range (duh... I was at work), I have lost 20 pounds since my last weigh-in at my gym... which admittedly was at least a year and a half ago. I'm trying to convince my brother-in-law to buy a gym near our new company, because it's too far of a drive to get to the one near Microsoft.

I've been thinking lately of becoming a yoga instructor. Given my total love for yoga, it seems like the next logical step. I'm just...not in fantastic shape these days. Not like I was about two or three years ago. And honestly, in a lot of ways, I'm still at a late beginner level of yoga poses. I can do some intermediate stuff, like Crow (link is a pic of me doing it) or Wheel, but overall, I'm still around the beginner level.

But when I think about wanting to be an instructor, I look at videos of the most advanced stuff and think, "Jesus, there's no way I can do that."

For example, here's a preview of the DDP Yoga Extreme workouts:
http://www.ddpyoga.com/ddp-extreme.html

I just can't imagine ever being in good enough shape to do that stuff. :(

Last edited:

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh, I bet you could get there! Your pics a few years back were very impressive. It might not be easy, but if you love it, it's worth it. And the perks are many:

1. Exercise is supposed to be good for depression.
2. Yoga is an invitation to self-awareness and peace.
3. You'd be helping people. I know for a while you wanted to be a teacher--this is another chance for that!
4. You could take more awesome backbend/pretzel pics!

I say if you really want it, go for it. Maybe post your progress here to keep yourself honest! :)

I've been thinking lately of becoming a yoga instructor. Given my total love for yoga, it seems like the next logical step. I'm just...not in fantastic shape these days. Not like I was about two or three years ago. And honestly, in a lot of ways, I'm still at a late beginner level of yoga poses. I can do some intermediate stuff, like Crow (link is a pic of me doing it) or Wheel, but overall, I'm still around the beginner level.

But when I think about wanting to be an instructor, I look at videos of the most advanced stuff and think, "Jesus, there's no way I can do that."

Surely, you know more than most folks. Maybe you could teach beginners. That would force you to up your game a bit.

At first I was rolling my eyes at the DDP stuff (the tough guy thing), but after watching those videos, I want to give it a try. Looks ridiculously tough without killing my knees and ankles.

I don't think that I have posted in this thread, but I am impressed with y'all! I have been trying to do 30 min of cardio 5x a week. BMI states that I am overweight, but my waist is about 35 inches. What I am concerned about is my blood pressure, which is consistently at the near hypertension area. I am hoping the cardio will help. I probably need to cut some salt here and there too.

I think BMI is a terrible indicator, unless you are a total couch potato. I'm 10 pounds past "normal", but I have gained so much leg and ass muscle in the last 6 months that I no longer give a shit. (Really, my weight has stayed consistent, but you can see visible muscles in my legs and I have fantastic derby butt. So clearly I have gained physical fitness, even if my weight has gone no where.)

I don't have the wherewithal at the moment to dig for the reports, but BMI has a narrow range of usefulness and shouldn't be considered definitive

At first I was rolling my eyes at the DDP stuff (the tough guy thing), but after watching those videos, I want to give it a try. Looks ridiculously tough without killing my knees and ankles.
That's one of the things I love about yoga: it's incredibly low impact but with a lot of great health returns. A friend of mine - who plays a lot of basketball - used to exclusively run and weight lift. His knees and his back were starting to kill him. He started doing DDP yoga and both of those pains went away. Plus, it's surprisingly aerobic. Even after a 25-minute workout, I've broken a sweat.

I wasn't too concerned about it. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. I've got a little bit of a gut, but that's about it. My job has either long periods of sitting or standing, but not much activity so I feel weak and slow most of the time.

Last year, I used EA's Wii Fit and had pretty great results with it. It was fairly well-rounded. However, I got sick of working out in the apt and sweating all over the carpet (which is gross as hell). I put down a yoga mat, but I sweat through that too. I like running outside, but I am too lazy to drag myself to the nearest park (only 1.5 miles away !).

My buddy is big into Cross-fit, but I'm cheap and not that dedicated. :D

This is just a random thought I had after reading your post a while ago this morning: Have you thought about making a few videos of you teaching yoga? I have no idea what's required to be a yoga instructor (I'm sure it varies from province to province anyway), but you could make a few videos which you could then a) watch yourself, make decisions about how you can better teach, etc, and b) retain power of edit so if you do flub something, you can scratch it from the finished product :p

Anyway, it might be a way of seeing if teaching yoga is something you can get comfortable with, essentially practicing without the 'live' audience.

Also, you may know your limitations as a 'beginner' but that still means you can teach those who are not even there yet. I'm not perfectly fluent in French but damn if I don't make for a great Beginner/Intermediate French tutor.

Tendinosis sucks. Rehabbing sucks.
Tarsal tunnel syndrome here. My doctor has told me that running will mean constant re-injury. I have to do the strengthening exercises he gave me for the rest of my life (not an exaggeration, it is what I was told). I've been convinced to swim. I haven't started yet.

Fianlly have an exercising partner! And I coudln't be happier! I find it so much easier to not slack off, if I know I have someone to rely on and who rely's on me.

We've only been doing it for a week, but I think it's safe to say, we're going to stick with it.

Just want to send out love to you all and encouragement. If something isn't working for you, change it up! I love to go running, but it's dipping below zero here now, so that is off the table. But, that doesn't mean I give up. Find something new you like to do! As long as you're keeping active, you can't beat yourself up about it.

Go forth! Exercise!

Necronic

Staff member
Went back to the gym after an almost 2 month hiatus. Really mad I let it go that long, but I'm glad that I did get back in there. I was surprised how well I did even after all that time, my cardio was down a bit, but I could still do my deadlifts. I'm also really glad that I didn't put on any real weight in those 2 months. I think I went from like 216 to 219. Sadly that was probably some muscle decay as well, but v0v.

Coming into this a little late it would seem:
Max Bench :275
Squat: 205 as to ground
2 rep Max Deadlift: 335
3 rep Max Strict Press: 120
2k Row for time: 8:50
Weight: 217 after eating
Goals: Overall increase in strength, and I would like to weigh 200 solid

Wednesdays work out was Annie: warm up, 50,40,30,20,10 Double under jump rope and situps for time
Thursday: Warm up, 5 rounds for max meters: 10 Goblet Squats, 15 Kettle Bell Swings, 1 minute row: 257m, 280m, 297m, 307m, 281m!

Pics to come soon!

PR'd my front squat today with 205lbs

Todays workout: 5/5/5/5/5 front squats increasing weight each time for a 5 rep max
5rounds for time 10 pull ups, 15 American Kettle Bell Swings at 55lbs
20 hand release push ups.
Enjoy!

Necronic

Staff member
Banged out 3 sets of 5 reps 150 lb deadlift the other day. I've yet to really test my max (due to the weights not really being appropriate for dead lifting, they are octagonal so you can't roll them), but this was a 50 point increase from my last. Definitely felt the burn. I'm pretty sure I could handle a couple reps at 200, but I'm worried about hurting myself.

I've been challenged to run a quarter mile for time. It's been a while since I've done any running... hopefully I'll clock in around 75 seconds. If I can't break 90 I'm going to cry.

Cajungal

Staff member
Gained some muscle, no weight loss, but my clothes fit. Still exercising every day, and I got some resistance bands for Christmas that I am really enjoying. I feel a lot stronger. I am not taking any more pictures of my chunky butt until there are noticeable results, though.

Weighed in at the gym the other day. 250.

Not as bad as I was worried about, but not great.

Going back in to work more on a stamina program, rather than a strength one - modifying Starting Strength for lower weights with higher reps.

Ran at this little park, ended up being about 3/8 of a mile. Prorated, my time came in around 79 seconds. Considering I was dying the last seventy meters or so, my actual quarter time was likely lower still. Can't be too mad about that, all things considered.

As to overall fitness: gained a pound or two, but I'm not really worried about it. Mostly been treading water, but I think I've turned the corner on the tendinitis, so I've got that going for me.

Last edited:
What's wrooooong
I've just been completely lax about regular exercise, or keeping track of what I'm doing, eating etc. (though I am eating fairly well, I'm just not making any sort of record). I plan to get into the pool tomorrow, but I say that all the time, so it's basically a meaningless statement until I, you know, get into the freaking pool. And then continue to get into the pool on subsequent days.

One thing I wonder about is that because my employment situation comes with the perk of free gym/pool access, I don't feel any personal obligation (i.e. I haven't paid for it, so it's no loss) to go. Maybe I should buy a locker & towel service. I don't need it, but the $90 might create some sense of commitment.

Anyway.

Mostly I'm just whiny.

Bounced up to 210 over the Christmas holidays. Back on the proper eating path and I'm finding some motivation to lean out again.

I learned how to do an elbow lever!

It's considered to be an easy skill, but I couldn't do one before, so hey.