[Drawing] Gusto's Drawings and Paintings

You and Amy are gonna make me cry.

;)

Either pay me to paint something for you or accept that work comes first.
What's your talent worth?[/QUOTE]

I've sold two of the paintings on here and their value has only risen since:

48x24", $250CAD

16x20", $180CAD.

Nowadays, for something 16x20" I'd ballpark something approaching $300CAD, or more depending on the subject matter involved.

Of course, all things are negotiable. ;)

E

Element 117

So gusto. How much is your talent worth? Enough to let it wither for a day job and beers with the buds?

Drink alone, and paint more!

PROGRESS SHOTS:

Nothing really impressive but here are a couple candid shots of the drawing I did on the background after finding a couple of markers tat actually STICK to oil-based paints. I hope to paint it in tonight.

Also keep in mind that I intend to re-ink everything in a slightly thicker line after painting it.

E

Element 117

Dear Gutso: are you drawing/painting every day? Even if only sketches?

Well most of them are throwaway, really. Just garbage I scribble on temp logs at work when I have a few seconds.

Actually, I was just downstairs doing some of my glazes, came up, answered your question, went back down, and continued.

Results are... mixed. The glazes turned out pretty well but I used too pink a skin tone. Which means I'll need to wait for it to dry and glaze over it with something a bit more white/brown.

Pics to come.

E

Element 117

Doesnt matter if they are throaw away. Think of it as the little chit from your parole officer proving that you arent letting your muse die a wasted death. :)

Well in the case of my work example above, I can't really take them home. :p

But thanks for keeping me honest. :)

Painting done! Skin looks like the appropriate colour now! Pics when it's less shiny and wet.

All that's left now is to re-outline it so that the lines can be seen further than 2 feet away.

Since this work is basically done, I'm trying to decide what to work on next.

If no one's interested in comissioning anything, I might try to remake this image now that I've broken the foreground veil.

I originally intended this to be a painting ANYWAY so maybe I'll come back to it.

E

Element 117

In contrast with the middle and background, the foreground feels out of place

Well it's from years ago, I'm not gonna try to defend it. ;)

I mean that I might make a similar piece with similar colours and hopefully.... do better. :p

E

Element 117

Enh. Whitewash it. Start over. Unless of course, you sell it. Somehow it reminds me of the mood I have when I hear the latter bits of

Put the final coat on the painting today. Allow a few days to dry, ink over with Sharpie, affix price tag. ;)

Starting to think of what to paint next, any suggestions? I've got a handful of smaller 8x10" canvasses that I might wanna start workin' on.

E

Element 117

Here's an idea. How about readying 15 pieces for a gallery showing? Get into the local scene, and be seen, etc.

I have seen very little proof so far to suggest that my painting is anything beyond a hobby that occasionally nets me a sale. I dunno if a gallery showing is really in my [near] future.

E

Element 117

I have seen very little proof so far to suggest that my painting is anything beyond a hobby that occasionally nets me a sale. I dunno if a gallery showing is really in my [near] future.
Honestly, you have talent, but if you don't believe in your talent, then you're ripping off the people who buy your work already. Maybe you should just man up and try to get into a gallery by Spring 2011, sans excuses. :p

Cajungal

Staff member
I figured that showing your work would interest you more since you were so determined to put out more work this summer. Do you not want to show at a gallery because you're not interested in doing that, or because you don't think it will lead to anything?

It's not that I don't think that my work is good enough to potentially be shown in a gallery, it's that I don't think a gallery that sees dozens of really great pieces every year would be interested in a whole showing from a guy like me.

E

Element 117

So what exactly is the gallery rejection process in Canada? They shoot the artist in the street? There is no harm in readying work for a show, and hitting the streets, finding galleries, and answering calls for entry. Except effort, maybe. The worst they can do is shoot you in the stre- I mean, say no. Even if you only show at a local java shoppe, at least your artwork is in front of more eyes.

Truth.

I dunno if I like the idea of putting on a whole exhibit, but maybe getting a couple pieces into one of the local youth shows is a better step to take at my stage. Work my way up.

Cajungal

Staff member
I think you should definitely keep it in mind. That coffee shop idea was a very good one. Some coffee shops in town show local art. It's one of my favorite things about visiting. It's too bad that CC's Coffee Houses pretty much show the same photography prints at each location... it was more interesting when they showed more local art.

E

Element 117

Maybe we should all campaign to have one painting of Gusto's shown in a local town gallery. All over the world where ever we are?

I'm actually pretty down with that idea...

Bearing in mind that Savannah is an Art School town... step your game up, son!

I definitely dig your work, though