[Drawing] Gusto's Drawings and Paintings

My goal was to use a smaller canvas (9x12") and see how quickly I could finish a less intricate painting. The subject matter ended up being a bit more concrete/complex than my original vision, but not counting setup/cleanup, I was able to finish this painting in 2.5 hours, over the course of 4 sessions.

Here's the first, a 45 minute sketch, with no time spent on warm-ups or practice sketches. Almost half that 45 minutes was spent with the eraser, which is why the sketch looks relatively clean and parts of it already look shaded (pencil on canvas smudges a lot!).

Stay tuned for the rest!

These three photos represent about an hour of work, and are the result of @WasabiPoptart 's stormy palette from the other day. :)

The goal was to add some tone but to keep things relatively flat-looking with not much detail. THAT will come in the next step. ;)

The penultimate step in the process. Spot blacks and outlines that help give the previous steps the form they were too flat to give themselves. I contemplated stopping here and calling it done, but I'm glad I didn't. One more to go. :)

This step, adding the black, took about half an hour.

Sneak preview! I'm posting this on my Facebook Paintings page later tonight, and I encourage you to check it out there anyway. :)

The finished piece, Noise:

I did a couple touch-ups here, following three layers of washes that I didn't give the proper time to dry - you can actually see a couple spots where they "erase" each other. I blotted out most of the wash from the foreground but it's effects are still there - the skin is tinged blue throughout and purple in a few places.

This whole stage took me less than 15 minutes, bringing the entirety of the piece up to 2.5 hours.

Here are a few shots of the painting I'm working on next. I've posted some planning sketches of it earlier, I think:

This one's not on commission for the first time since 2011, so who knows how quickly I'll get it done. I just had my New Years's resolution to do three paintings this year, but it's unlikely I'll finish this in the next 6 weeks.
@Cajungal and @Chad Sexington expressed an interest in this one, so paging them. :)

I've had some more time to work on this recently so get ready for a few progress updates!

First off, let's add some atmosphere! And since I had to do it in stages, do it in various lighting conditions!

Her right shoulder/clavicle looks pretty jacked. Is she supposed to be rolling it forward? Also, the sternocleidomastoid attaches to the top of the sternum.

I'm not terribly worried about it. I used a couple reference images and it's looking pretty good now, in its further stage.

Starting on the foreground, with a bit of shading, knowing that I'm going to touch it up a bit and ultimately want it to look kinda flat.

Guys this post should show off just how much more I prefer drawing things cartoony than realistic.

This time I shaded the skin a bit more and added a bit more “life” to it. Most notable is the return of the outlines, which I think is a striking look. I can’t help it, I just wanna paint cartoons! :D

It looks great, Gusto! And my stuff, even the realistic, tends to look a bit cartoony as well, so enjoy it as your style. :)

I somehow have missed checking this thread for awhile and I apologize for that. I must say I really love and admire your work and I just wanted to let you know that. :)

Ohh I love that green! There is something superheroish about it now somehow.
That's sorta kinda the vibe I was going for! Glad it sorta kinda came through. :D

I somehow have missed checking this thread for awhile and I apologize for that. I must say I really love and admire your work and I just wanted to let you know that. :)
No problem bro! Thanks for the kind words, and glad to have you back! Watch my thread, never miss an update! :)

I actually do have your thread watched I just have been super busy with work and somehow I didn't get around to checking it out :oops:

Notepad sketches. I've been doing these often enough lately that I think I would finally be able to justify buying a sketchbook.

fade

Staff member
You're getting much better. I never was a huge fan of the upper-lip-only style, though. It always looked like the Kim Possible women had moustaches to me.