http://www.wesh.com/news/21311793/detail.html

I'd like to shake this man's hand.

Hylian

Hylian

The Dad should have aimed for the guys family jewels

:4:

Shakey

Shakey

The shooter then fired four times, hitting him four times, two in the femur and two in his hips
Sounds like he did, just a bad shot.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

so he couldn't hold the guy?

off-topic: what the hell is your avatar?

Steven Soderburgin

This doesn't sound very good at all and beyond the injury done to the man he shot, he's probably ruined his life and severely traumatized his daughter!

Deschain

I don't understand, I don't see rape being mentioned anywhere. Did the guy just burst into his daughter's boyfriend and shoot him? Cause that's what I'm seeing here. The guy's not armed, it doesn't look non-consensual, and he even raised his hands up (which would make it probably look worse, but still).

Hylian

Hylian

In reality no the dad should not have shot the guy. It is going to do more harm than good especially in the long term. But still he did what every father who has ever had a daughter has wanted/threatened to do.

lafftaff

It was a crime of passion. If anything, his daughter has learned to never have sex at home.

Jay

Jay

It looked consensual.

Wasabi Poptart

He's not a great dad. He just shot a kid for no real reason. Maybe he should rein in his daughter so she isn't having sex in his house.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Like I've always said, you only have to kill the first one.

(Seriously, this seems like a dick move to me.)

Iaculus

Like I've always said, you only have to kill the first one.

(Seriously, this seems like a dick shot to me.)
Fix't.

Yeah, sounds a bit iffy. Nowhere in the article is rape brought up.

Armadillo

The gun was over the top, but as a father to a little girl, I COMPLETELY get where he's coming from here.

(And as a former boyfriend, those fathers terrified me.)

Morgoth

I don't understand, I don't see rape being mentioned anywhere. Did the guy just burst into his daughter's boyfriend and shoot him? Cause that's what I'm seeing here. The guy's not armed, it doesn't look non-consensual, and he even raised his hands up (which would make it probably look worse, but still).

This is the worst response ever from someone using the handle of Deschain! :nono:

Come on guys, obviously it's not the right thing to do! Man oh man, some people are just so literal around here, it's stifling sometimes!

ThatNickGuy

That kid's going to have nightmares the rest of his life and will never have sex again.

If it was rape, I'd say he deserved it. But it was just two teenagers going at it. The father overreacted big time.

Armadillo

This is the worst response ever from someone using the handle of Deschain! :nono:

Come on guys, obviously it's not the right thing to do! Man oh man, some people are just so literal around here, it's stifling sometimes![/QUOTE]

What do you mean, literal? Ass.

Jake

Jake

The gun was over the top
"Over the top"? That's all four bullet wounds rates? Really?

Armadillo

If it was rape, I'd say he deserved it. But it was just two teenagers going at it. The father overreacted big time.
Yeah, we do that.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

The gun was over the top
"Over the top"? That's all four bullet wounds rates? Really?[/QUOTE]

Well, the kid WAS fucking his daughter.

SeraRelm

:facepalm:

Morgoth

That kid's going to have nightmares the rest of his life and will never have sex again.

Ha! Tell me that when you come home after a long day of work, drudge upstairs, and open your bedroom door only to find some hoodlum, punk hammering away while your daughter is sprawled out spread eagle on your side of the bed.

I don't believe I'd have it in me to actually shoot the guy, but I do believe I'd slam him into the door-jam a few times before branding him on the ass with the embossed Nike logo on the bottom of my shoe. That would at the least make him think twice about pulling that kind of crap in my house.

SeraRelm

Ha! Tell me that when you come home after a long day of work, drudge upstairs, and open your bedroom door only to find some hoodlum, punk hammering away while your daughter is sprawled out spread eagle on your side of the bed.

I don't believe I'd have it in me to actually shoot the guy, but I do believe I'd slam him into the door-jam a few times before branding him on the ass with the embossed Nike logo on the bottom of my shoe. That would at the least make him think twice about pulling that kind of crap in my house.[/quote]

the 16-year-old girl's stepfather walked into the girl's bedroom and saw her having sex with Julian Harp.

Did you get some imaginary unabridged version of the report?

Morgoth

I don't believe I'd have it in me to actually shoot the guy, but I do believe I'd slam him into the door-jam a few times before branding him on the ass with the embossed Nike logo on the bottom of my shoe. That would at the least make him think twice about pulling that kind of crap in my house.[/quote]

the 16-year-old girl's stepfather walked into the girl's bedroom and saw her having sex with Julian Harp. [/qoute]

Did you get some imaginary unabridged version of the report?
No, I was just painting a vivid picture of a similar event. I guess this just isn't something people without kids would understand...

Armadillo

the 16-year-old girl's stepfather walked into the girl's bedroom and saw her having sex with Julian Harp.

Did you get some imaginary unabridged version of the report?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I heard "daughter having sex," and started sharpening my knives. Did you say something?

Morgoth

Did you get some imaginary unabridged version of the report?[/quote]

I'm sorry, I heard "daughter having sex," and started sharpening my knives. Did you say something?[/QUOTE]

Ha!

Steven Soderburgin

Why are fathers so protective of their daughters' sexuality? Many seem to act as if their daughters' sexuality belongs to the father and not the daughter. It's sort of creepy!

elph

I think he was more pissed that someone got to it before him.

ThatNickGuy

elph

[/QUOTE]

That last panel looks like he's just going to eat her, and I don't mean that as an innuendo.

Morgoth

Why are fathers so protective of their daughters' sexuality? Many seem to act as if their daughters' sexuality belongs to the father and not the daughter. It's sort of creepy!
Because no one wants to be the dad with the sexually promiscuous daughter...

Armadillo

Cliffs Notes version: your daughter is your little angel, the light of your life, the sole reason you get up in the morning and do whatever it is you do with your day. You can't wait to get home and see her angelic little face light up as she yells out, "Daddy!" and runs to give you a big hug. The years go by, you buy her teddy bears, take her to movies, drive her and her friends to concerts by some crappy boy band that sounds more like Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber" than anything you know as "music," all because you love her more than life itself, and would do anything to make her happy. SHE IS YOUR EVERYTHING.

Then one day, you walk in to see her getting beatboxed by some little shit in your own house.

You know, I think Morgoth's right: you just don't understand unless you're the father of a girl.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I have terrible news for all the men who have daughters on this forum: your daughters are going to grow up and have sex. Acting like they won't or telling them not to means they'll have more sex.

As a man with a daughter on this forum, I have come to accept this. You should too.

Armadillo

I have terrible news for all the men who have daughters on this forum: your daughters are going to grow up and have sex. Acting like they won't or telling them not to means they'll have more sex.

As a man with a daughter on this forum, I have come to accept this. You should too.
Fuck you. Never. Fuck you.

Fuck you.

elph

Fuck you. Never. Fuck you.

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what all this is about?

Armadillo

I probably should mention that I'm not some nutcase who's going to try to keep his daughter "pure" all her life. I know she's going to have sex someday; I hope it's with the right guy, i hope it's fulfilling and that she's safe about it.

That doesn't mean I have to fucking like the idea.

Morgoth

I probably should mention that I'm not some nutcase who's going to try to keep his daughter "pure" all her life. I know she's going to have sex someday; I hope it's with the right guy, i hope it's fulfilling and that she's safe about it.

That doesn't mean I have to fucking like the idea.

What he said.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Latest news update:

A man came home from work one day, entered his son's bedroom, and discovered him having sex with a girl. In a fit of passion, the man immediately charged into the room... to give his son props and fist-bumps.

Oh double standards of society, you so crazy.

Alternative:

Man finds his son (or daughter) having sex with another man (or woman). He promptly closes the door, vows to never acknowledge it again, and proclaims that the family is going to start going to church again.

Deschain

If it were my kid, that would be a totally different story sir.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

What in the hell of shit?

Fucking AWFUL Dad.

Jake

Jake

You know, I think Morgoth's right: you just don't understand unless you're the father of a girl.
I have a daughter that I would kill (as in kill other people, not her so much) to protect from harm. BUT, I would never think to shoot a guy she's having consensual sex with. Chances are I'd toss the guy across the room a little and boot his ass out the door naked (since I find it more than a little disrespectful to pork a guys 16-year-old daughter in his house when there's a chance of getting caught).

But put 4 bullets in the guy? Sorry, you guys are either psychopaths or internet wannabe superheroes. Guess which I find more likely.

Iaculus

I have a daughter that I would kill to protect from harm. BUT, I would never think to shoot a guy she's having consensual sex with. Chances are I'd toss the guy across the room a little and boot his ass out the door naked (since I find it more than a little disrespectful to pork a guys 16-year-old daughter in his house when there's a chance of getting caught).

But put 4 bullets in the guy? Sorry, you guys are either psychopaths or internet wannabe superheroes. Guess which I find more likely.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I think Morgoth's subtly extracting the Michael here. Some of his comments seem just a little too OTT.

Jake

Jake

I have a daughter that I would kill to protect from harm. BUT, I would never think to shoot a guy she's having consensual sex with. Chances are I'd toss the guy across the room a little and boot his ass out the door naked (since I find it more than a little disrespectful to pork a guys 16-year-old daughter in his house when there's a chance of getting caught).

But put 4 bullets in the guy? Sorry, you guys are either psychopaths or internet wannabe superheroes. Guess which I find more likely.[/quote]

To be honest, I think Morgoth's subtly extracting the Michael here. Some of his comments seem just a little too OTT.[/quote]
Hey, we know how you view sex with teenage girls.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

No wonder Icarus stopped posting.

Iaculus

But put 4 bullets in the guy? Sorry, you guys are either psychopaths or internet wannabe superheroes. Guess which I find more likely.[/quote]

To be honest, I think Morgoth's subtly extracting the Michael here. Some of his comments seem just a little too OTT.[/quote]
Hey, we know how you view sex with teenage girls.[/QUOTE]

... As something that creepy Icarus guy favours?

Gusto

Gusto

WHAT in the FUCK.

No, terrible dad. You do not SHOOT people.

Mr_Chaz

I don't believe I'd have it in me to actually shoot the guy, but I do believe I'd slam him into the door-jam a few times before branding him on the ass with the embossed Nike logo on the bottom of my shoe. That would at the least make him think twice about pulling that kind of crap in my house.[/QUOTE]

Yeah dammit, how can you have your post work nap when they're doing it on your side of the bed? Tell 'em to scoot over and keep the noise down.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Also, shooting people is bad.

Jake

Jake

Hey, we know how you view sex with teenage girls.[/quote]

... As something that creepy Icarus guy favours?[/QUOTE]

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey, we know how you view sex with teenage girls.[/QUOTE]

Winner!

Heavan

Good lord, you guys don't own your daughters for the love of god try and act like you're old enough to be a dad.

Or else have fun with assault charges because beating up the guy will still land you in prison.

Steven Soderburgin

IN MY HOUSE MY DAUGHTER WILL NOT BONE SOME IDIOT KID NOT IN MY AMERICA

If my son wants to bone some chick, that's no problem, though.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There are not too many dads out there that will fist bump his 16 yo son for having sex.

Heavan

There are not too many dads out there that will fist bump his 16 yo son for having sex.[/QUOTE]

Where are the rabid calls for the girl the son is having sex with to be brutally beaten? Oh, right, women are the pristine little angels who never have sex consensually unless it's with a boy you've approved of and they're over 30 and been married for six years. And even then you won't be okay with it. Sons having sex, well, mild discomfort (but good job son).

This is sexism, guys. No getting around it.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

My mom fist-bumped me (metaphorically) for having sex when I was 17...

Steven Soderburgin

This is sexism, guys. No getting around it.
Yep.

Wasabi Poptart

I guess this just isn't something people without kids would understand...
I have kids, a boy and a girl, and I don't understand this ridiculous attitude. I was once a teenage girl and got caught screwing my boyfriend in our living room by my dad. He didn't shoot my boyfriend, beat him up, or do anything other than to calmly tell us to get dressed. Later that night he pulled me aside and said that if he ever caught us again he would tell my mom.
If I was being raped, I'm sure my dad would have made the guy disappear.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Luckly, I'm still a virgin in my twenties. I skipped the possibility of having [STRIKE]angry psycho dad[/STRIKE] GREAT OR GREATEST DAD shoot me for screwing with his teenage girl.

Heavan

Luckly, I'm still a virgin in my twenties. I skipped the possibility of having [STRIKE]angry psycho dad[/STRIKE] GREAT OR GREATEST DAD shoot me for screwing with his teenage girl.
You think being over 20 will stop these guys? They'll probably shoot you double the amount because adults are harder to kill.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You think being over 20 will stop these guys? They'll probably shoot you double the amount because adults are harder to kill.[/QUOTE]

Well, I WON'T SCREW 16 YEAR OLD GIRLS, MAN!

Also, I think I wouldn't be shot. I'd be terribly pathetic, wetting myself and all that.

Morgoth

I have a daughter that I would kill (as in kill other people, not her so much) to protect from harm. BUT, I would never think to shoot a guy she's having consensual sex with. Chances are I'd toss the guy across the room a little and boot his ass out the door naked (since I find it more than a little disrespectful to pork a guys 16-year-old daughter in his house when there's a chance of getting caught).

I don't believe I'd have it in me to actually shoot the guy, but I do believe I'd slam him into the door-jam a few times before branding him on the ass with the embossed Nike logo on the bottom of my shoe. That would at the least make him think twice about pulling that kind of crap in my house.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

What? If you're implying what I think you're implying, you can go straight to hell in a hand-basket.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

I guess this just isn't something people without kids would understand...
I have kids, a boy and a girl, and I don't understand this ridiculous attitude. I was once a teenage girl and got caught screwing my boyfriend in our living room by my dad. He didn't shoot my boyfriend, beat him up, or do anything other than to calmly tell us to get dressed. Later that night he pulled me aside and said that if he ever caught us again he would tell my mom.
If I was being raped, I'm sure my dad would have made the guy disappear.[/quote]

Okay, I mean this in the nicest way, but do some of you understand the concept of exaggeration? My first comment, "I'd like to shake his hand" was a joke. It's a play on the gag that many American fathers say they'll shoot their daughter's boyfriends and bury them in the backyard. Sigh...

I can see myself doing what your father did to picking him up and throwing the kid out of my house, but I would never shoot someone. I don't seem to know where these allegations are coming from? I don't understand why I'm being made a bad guy here because I can sympathize with a father wanting to protect his daughter?

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I don't seem to know where these allegations are coming from? I don't understand why I'm being made a bad guy here because I can sympathize with a father wanting to protect his daughter?
My take: Because the guy didn't just "want to protect his daughter," he shot an 18-year-old kid who wasn't raping her, and you wrote a post calling him either a great, or THE greatest dad. Which implied pretty strongly you were in favor of the shooting.

Morgoth

I don't seem to know where these allegations are coming from? I don't understand why I'm being made a bad guy here because I can sympathize with a father wanting to protect his daughter?
My take: Because the guy didn't just "want to protect his daughter," he shot an 18-year-old kid who wasn't raping her, and you wrote a post calling him either a great, or THE greatest dad. Which implied pretty strongly you were in favor of the shooting.[/quote]

Sarcasm: great whoosh over one's head, or greatest whoosh? Who could honestly take sides with shooting someone over that?!? Come on now, use some common sense!

Adam

Adammon

Sarcasm, the great equalizer of the Internet.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Sarcasm: great whoosh over one's head, or greatest whoosh? Who could honestly take sides with shooting someone over that?!? Come on now, use some common sense!
You asked, I answered. And this forum has proved itself in favor of far stranger things than that.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

My take: Because the guy didn't just "want to protect his daughter," he shot an 18-year-old kid who wasn't raping her, and you wrote a post calling him either a great, or THE greatest dad. Which implied pretty strongly you were in favor of the shooting.[/quote]

Sarcasm: great whoosh over one's head, or greatest whoosh? Who could honestly take sides with shooting someone over that?!? Come on now, use some common sense![/QUOTE]

OR I'LL SHOOT YOU!

Morgoth

You asked, I answered. And this forum has proved itself in favor of far stranger things than that.[/QUOTE]

My bloody second post explains that I'm not being at all serious about the subject! Should I use 72pt font and rainbow letters next time?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

ZenMonkey;276332 said:
My take: Because the guy didn't just "want to protect his daughter," he shot an 18-year-old kid who wasn't raping her, and you wrote a post calling him either a great, or THE greatest dad. Which implied pretty strongly you were in favor of the shooting.

OR I'LL SHOOT YOU![/QUOTE]

Touche good sir, touche!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You asked, I answered. And this forum has proved itself in favor of far stranger things than that.[/QUOTE]

My bloody second post explains that I'm not being at all serious about the subject! Should I use 72pt font and rainbow letters next time?[/QUOTE]

Only if it is an animated gif.

Morgoth

You asked, I answered. And this forum has proved itself in favor of far stranger things than that.[/quote]

My bloody second post explains that I'm not being at all serious about the subject! Should I use 72pt font and rainbow letters next time?[/quote]

Only if it is an animated gif.[/QUOTE]

Will a demotivational poster do?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You asked, I answered. And this forum has proved itself in favor of far stranger things than that.[/quote]

My bloody second post explains that I'm not being at all serious about the subject! Should I use 72pt font and rainbow letters next time?[/quote]

Only if it is an animated gif.[/QUOTE]

Will a demotivational poster do?

[/QUOTE]

Only because you liked my "or I'll shoot you" joke.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

My bloody second post explains that I'm not being at all serious about the subject! Should I use 72pt font and rainbow letters next time?
If you like, or you could bitch at the people actually accusing you of stuff and not at the person trying to spell it out for you.

Morgoth

If you like, or you could bitch at the people actually accusing you of stuff and not at the person trying to spell it out for you.[/QUOTE]

What fun is there in not shooting the messenger?

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Well, too bad the helpful messenger is now dead. The only one left is kind of a bitch.

Skinny Santa

More people need to get Stephen Colbert references (he used to ask liberals the same thing about Bush)

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I don't have kids, in fact I'm not even married. But I can guarantee that if I have a teenaged daughter 20 years from now, her boyfriends will be TERRIFIED of me. I think one of the reasons there are so many teen pregnancies nowadays is because the father isn't around enough (or is just too "understanding") to give the pissant a bone-crushing handshake and whisper into his ear, "I'll hunt you down like a dog if you hurt my little girl."

If I caught them having sex IN MY OWN HOUSE I'd beat the hell out of him. Shooting him for consensual sex is a bit too much, but there's nothing wrong with kicking his ass. As for the girl, I suppose I'd let the missus deal with her. Btw, the kid needs to stop being such a baby. It's not like those wounds were life-threatening.

My friends and I also have a pact about "baby daddies." First, we'll raise our daughters with enough self-respect so they won't have unprotected sex with scumbags. In the event of that worst-case scenario actually happening, we'll get the limesucker to marry her. If he doesn't, we'll blow his fucking head off. If he ends up not being a good husband, we'll blow his head off too. If we blow his head off, we'll help bury the body someplace hidden.

Denbrought

Denbrought

If I caught them having sex IN MY OWN HOUSE I'd beat the hell out of him. Shooting him for consensual sex is a bit too much, but there's nothing wrong with kicking his ass. As for the girl, I suppose I'd let the missus deal with her. Btw, the kid needs to stop being such a baby. It's not like those wounds were life-threatening.
Obviously, nothing wrong with assault and battery. And kids these days, making a big fuss out of being shot, jeez.

Iaculus

Btw, the kid needs to stop being such a baby. It's not like those wounds were life-threatening.
Gwuh?

He got shot in the hips and thighs. Quite apart from the major blood vessels occupying that region (which it is quite possible to bleed out from if they're ruptured), do you have any idea how agonisingly painful a busted pelvis can be? There is no safe, non-threatening place to shoot someone. Period.

Yay for Internet tough guys, I says.

Kitty Sinatra

:confused:

Denbrought

Denbrought

:confused:[/QUOTE]
Iron's saying that getting shot like the kid got is no big deal, thus appearing to be a so called Internet Tough Guy.

For further information, ITG encyclopaedia article.

Kitty Sinatra

That's not actually what I'm "confused" about. It's Iaculus talking about internet tough guys while sporting a tough guy avatar.

Let's file this joke under "bad" . . . and having explained it, I'm also tagging its toe.

Iaculus

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Ah, but the avatar is a metacomment on my own inadequacy. Also, rule of cool.

[size=-2]Fun fact - by applying the prefix 'meta' to a sentence, you can get away with abso-freakin'-lutely anything.[/size]

Kitty Sinatra

I'll remember that.

er, I'll metaremember that.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Kamina is not a tough guy, he's KAMINA :<

Edit: rule of cool

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I have a 20 year old daughter.

You know, I can't picture myself shooting anyone over sex.

I have a 17 year old soon-to-be stepson. He has a girlfriend, and they're sexually active. I'll tell y'all like I told him: I was 16 once. I had sex. I know he's going to have sex. I don't really *care* if they're having sex. That said, I'm not about to condone sex in the house.

Every time they have sex they risk pregnancy. Especially when they're only using condoms. So, my job is to make sure that instead of having sex every day like bunnies (which I'm sure they would if they could), they get few opportunities when they can sneak around and find a private place. Because less sex means statistically less chance of pregnancy and therefore less chance of fucking your 17 year old life up.

Kitty Sinatra

Why are they only using condoms? Don't doctors prescribe birth control pills for sexually active 16/17 year old girls down there?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Why are they only using condoms? Don't doctors prescribe birth control pills for sexually active 16/17 year old girls down there?
Nope..generally a parent has to take their kid and get them a prescription. And, of course, most parents around here act insane about their girls having sex, as you've already seen in this thread.

It's freaking retarded. I think there should be much easier access to birth control pills for teens, personally. If I were to go to the girls parents and tell them "hey, you should probably put your daughter on the pill" they'd probably shoot me and/or my soon-to-be stepson.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The sheer disrespect involved with having sex with my daughter under my very roof warrants an ass-kicking.

And yes, I'll admit using a gun went a bit too far.

fade

fade

Dear people whining about readers not getting your sarcasm:

The forum software doesn't record the inflection you hear in your head when you write your post.

Thanks,
Fade.

Kitty Sinatra

That's why I bought the sarcasm detector.

Unfortunately it broke under the strain.

Steven Soderburgin

I don't really understand why it's disrespectful. They're gonna have sex somewhere. Might as well be in my house where it's safe.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I forget who said it first but:

Daughters are God's revenge on you for being a man; you live in fear that she'll meet someone like you were at 17.

Steven Soderburgin

When I was 17, I was reading Sight & Sound and drooling over Brad Pitt.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

you know, I really hope ironbrig isn't being serious, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong

Gusto

Gusto

Some people in this thread need to l2sarcasm.

And I don't mean detect.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

you know, I really hope ironbrig isn't being serious, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong
I already said that using a gun would be going too far. But an ass-kicking is entirely justified. What's that saying? "Under my roof, you live by my rules."

I understand that I can't stop them from having sex if really want to. In fact, forbidding it will just make them want to do it more. I used to be a 17-year-old boy so I know. But I can still not allow it in my home, where I am the master of the house. The problem these days is American men have forgotten to act like men and the art of an old-fashioned ass-kicking has been lost. You shouldn't shoot somebody for that, but neither should you stand idly by while some punk disrespects your authoritah.

Hell, an offense like this used to result in a group of armed men dragging the miscreant off into the woods and making him disappear.

Steven Soderburgin

oh jesus fucking christ, ironbrig

Kitty Sinatra

"Under my roof, you live by my rules."
Perhaps you should reconsider letting your daughter's boyfriend move in with you if you don't want him schtoinking her.

Gusto

Gusto

:eek:hwell:

I look forward to what this thread will bring with each new post.

Nile

Nile

I already said that using a gun would be going too far. But an ass-kicking is entirely justified. What's that saying? "Under my roof, you live by my rules."
That doesn't give you permission to kick the crap out of someone who does something you don't like... Throw them out of your house? Yes. Assault and battery? Not so much.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Ironbrig, I'm saying this with all due respect, but you sound like a neanderthal

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You don't necessarily have to be a legal resident of the premises in order to be compelled to live by my rules. But while he is under my roof, there will be certain rules he has to follow:

1. Wash your hands after using the bathroom.
2. If you're hungry, help yourself to anything in the fridge unless it's marked for a party or something (I put post-it notes on that stuff).
3. You can drink as long as an adult is present.
4. Don't touch my guns (I want a shotgun, an M1 Garand, and a SMLE).
5. Don't have sex with my daughter in the house, or you will be calling down the thunder.

Again, I WOULD NOT SHOOT HIM.

Kitty Sinatra

But you know what you need to do if you do want to shoot him, though, right?

"He's coming right on her!"

Wasabi Poptart

Ironbrig, I'm saying this with all due respect, but you sound like a neanderthal
I was thinking naive. Neanderthal works though.

Gusto

Gusto

Would you "bring down the thunder" on someone who didn't wash their hands?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

A neanderthal who is working on a PhD and who can also quote Shakespeare?

And no, I'm not a heartless ogre. In fact, I helped take care of a litter of stray kittens last month.

Kitty Sinatra

In fact, I helped take care of a litter of stray kittens last month.
Oh my god! He killed the kittens! You bastard.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Would you "bring down the thunder" on someone who didn't wash their hands?
No, of course not. I was just using that as a sample rule. I'll be very easygoing except when it comes to that one sticking point.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

knowing to stop digging your own grave is so easy a caveman can do it

Denbrought

Denbrought

What you don't seem to grasp is that it's not okay to shoot OR to kick the shit out of someone because they pissed you off while in your property. Y'see, the law of the land supercedes the law of your house. You can't put a punishment system in place that breaks any laws that are above you in level, or you risk getting your ass judged.

elph

So, would it be okay if 'he' brought her into the back woods where the bums hang out? How about a friends apartment where the friend may likely take advantage of her as well?

Really, if I'm 'okay' with it happening with my child (son or daughter, the risks are somewhat the same), I'd be okay with it in my house. At least I'd know they're in a safe place. Personally, I'd certainly prefer to not be around or really know it's going on, but those are the details. I don't want to be sitting watching something on TV when the wife comes in "Where's our child?", "(S)he's in their room having sex.", "Oh, okay, that's nice..."

I hope I teach my children the value of sharing that kind of intimacy and how to be safe about it. It's like anything else really. I think of all the hazards that they'll have to face to make the right choices. Drugs, alcohol, crazy driving, smoking, sex, etc... I don't want my children to have any fear of talking to me about any of them.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Although I am loathe to post anything related to Michael Bay, I agree with the sentiment here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Y9SQhcIjw[/ame]

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

you take your parenting cues from michael bay movies

I just want to let that sentence rattle around

Kitty Sinatra

booze, guns, and sex with teen girls. I actually rather like that sentiment myself.

I will also refer to black guys as ******s from now on.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

Also, holy shit we're being assholes to Mr. Brig . . . although I just want to point out that I'm trying play along with him and get him to start posting more comedically on this subject.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

"In my day we'd just grab him and say, 'Hey don't do that no more.' Then we'd crack him over the skull so he'd remember it!" ~ Archie Bunker

I think we have a failure to communicate somewhere. I wouldn't shoot the guy. Furthermore, I think it was wrong of that step-dad to shoot him four times. He also shouldn't be able to own a gun for the rest of his life.

As for the ass-kicking, perhaps I exaggerated a tad. I wouldn't necessarily beat the hell out of him, but I'd definitely give him some hard knocks and then throw him out, with or without his clothes on. Good God, we're talking about a major offense to any parent here. This isn't something like not putting the cap back on the toothpaste.

And the best way to prevent this, of course, is to raise the daughter with enough self-respect so she won't fall for a smooth-talking sleaze artist. If I succeed in doing that I won't ever have to worry about this situation ever happening to me.

Troll

Troll

I still don't see anyone saying that if they caught their son having sex, they would beat up the girl. I'm not going to be obtuse and claim that all double standards are bad, but in this case it seems unfair. I'm on board for yelling at the dude, throwing them out of the house (figuratively), grounding the daughter, etc. Violence is a big no no, though. It just shouldn't happen.

By the way, when I was 17 I had a steady girlfriend of almost 2 years. We messed around, but we never had sex. We understood that it was too risky for us at that stage of life. So, I don't agree with the other side of the argument who say they would be laid back and don't understand what the fuss is about. It IS possible to reign in the hormones and act responsibly as a teenager, so there's no excuse to just let it go.

EDIT: Haha IronBrig4, I don't think quoting Archie Bunker is going to make your argument look any more enlightened. :rofl:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmJHrmtCcU[/ame]

From the words of Biff himself. Buttheads.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I lack the ability to make a coherent argument but I think this suits well.

And really? Michale Bay movies are your guide? are you a retarded elementary school student? If you have a diagnosable problem I will let it slide, but really? really?!

I hope you never have to face the situation of walking on your daughter, even if it's just walking in on her doing her nails..
Maybe I should start with the facepalms soon. I think you're all taking what I'm saying a little too literally. Agreeing with the sentiment in a movie clip does not mean I'm using it as a parenting tool. And I'm actually a graduate student trying for a PhD right now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yes, of course it was acceptable to shoot him... especially that one that hit him on the back part of his body while he was most likely trying to escape. Perfectly fine. Not creepy and hillbilly at all.

This seems like exactly the kind of dude who doesn't even want his daughter to know about sex until she's 18 while high-fiving 13 year old boys who get blowjobs from a high school girl. No proof of that... so that's just me venting.

Bottom line for me: They shouldn't have. It's not easy, but you have to respect your parent's home (not to mention the legal age of consent). Was it a fair response to shoot him? FOUR times? One in the back of his leg (if I remember right)? Absolutely not... not even for the hillbillyest of hillbillies. He LEFT to get the gun, which means he had time he could have used to calm himself down. Instead he chose to load his gun and shoot a young man. And it's even nastier that he landed a bullet while the guy's back was to him.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

He LEFT to get the gun, which means he had time he could have used to calm himself down. Instead he chose to load his gun and shoot a young man. And it's even nastier that he landed a bullet while the guy's back was to him.
Yeah, he clearly made a conscious decision to do it.

The most effed-up part of the article for me was this:

On the 911 call, Edwards can be heard saying he shot someone who was with his daughter. He is crying and the 911 dispatcher can be heard trying to calm him down, at one point telling him she knows it had to be scary.
Now, I know that the dispatcher was doing exactly the right thing, but dude, scary for him?!!

Wasabi Poptart

And the best way to prevent this, of course, is to raise the daughter with enough self-respect so she won't fall for a smooth-talking sleaze artist. If I succeed in doing that I won't ever have to worry about this situation ever happening to me.
Why does the guy have to be a "smooth talking sleaze artist"? I dated my high school boyfriend for close to a year before we had sex. I did it because I loved him and wanted to do it, not because he wormed his way into my pants. Let's not paint girls as innocent little angels here.

And "ever" is a pretty strong word. You never know what is going to happen even if you think you have done everything right.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Cliffs Notes version: your daughter is your little angel, the light of your life, the sole reason you get up in the morning and do whatever it is you do with your day. You can't wait to get home and see her angelic little face light up as she yells out, "Daddy!" and runs to give you a big hug. The years go by, you buy her teddy bears, take her to movies, drive her and her friends to concerts by some crappy boy band that sounds more like Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber" than anything you know as "music," all because you love her more than life itself, and would do anything to make her happy. SHE IS YOUR EVERYTHING.

Then one day, you walk in to see her getting beatboxed by some little shit in your own house.

You know, I think Morgoth's right: you just don't understand unless you're the father of a girl.[/QUOTE]

I am not a father and I can relate, I am super protective of my niece and my little sister. My niece I still have a good 10 years before I worry about this shit my sister is 16 but still she is my little sister, she is innocent and I am supposed to protect her from asshole douchebags who just want to fuck her.

Like I honestly want to beat the hell out of the asshole shes dating now, hes controlling, hes a little gangbanger wannabie white boy, I am 99% sure he is a pot head (Basically good friends have seen him smoking and smelled it on him but I haven't caught him myself), he has no job, he goes to the "alternative" school for BD kids and says its because he has ADD, he broke his hand over the summer because while my sister was in Europe for a school trip she posted a picture where a boy on the trip had his head on her shoulder and he freaked out... Her grades are suffering because all she does is talk to him on the phone all day long and doesn't do her homework, she went like 1500 minutes over the other month on her cell... We are all pretty sure when she goes to stay at her moms on the weekend that she is letting him stay the night. hes bad news bears... the whole family hates him. We are all trying to find a way to get her out of this relationship without her resenting and hating all of us forever.

She got into this whole thing because her first like real boyfriend had broke up with her after like 10 months together and she was oh so in "love" with him and this douche is the rebound she has been dating for 6-8 months now.

Chippy

Chippy

Cajungal

Cajungal

I can understand wanting to hurt someone who messes with your family...

But every father here had to bang someone's daughter. And even if most of you probably won't admit it, I bet many of you here did it in her parents' house. Y'all wouldn't have wanted to get shot at, I assume? I understand a healthy little whap on the head or something... I can even understand scaring him a little by cocking a shotgun. Hell... one of my uncles did it to one of my cousin's more disgusting boyfriends. But actually shooting... and more than once? No excuse except maybe some serious mental issues

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

What you don't seem to grasp is that it's not okay to shoot OR to kick the shit out of someone because they pissed you off while in your property. Y'see, the law of the land supercedes the law of your house. You can't put a punishment system in place that breaks any laws that are above you in level, or you risk getting your ass judged.

Well it all depends, on if he knew the kid was in the house to begin with and the state. Because the Dad could potentially slap trespassing/breaking and entering and statutory rape on the guy, and if the state allows he could be justified in some ass beating for the trespassing/b&e.

As for the Bad Boys clip, I understand where he is coming from. I myself would probably not actually beat the shit out of the dude if I caught him with my sister or some day my daughter if I have one but it's about fear. You put out this persona of bad ass to try and keep the kid in line, come on a lot of the forum is older you had to have that stereotypical Dad that just by "happenstance" was cleaning his shotgun when the new boyfriend first comes to the house?

As for a double standard, I would say to some extent yes there is one. I am far more protective of my little sister compared to my little step-brother but at the same time when I have kids I am going to try and instill that sex isn't just something you should go out and do randomly with anyone. I actually believe sex should be with someone special, which seems to be a minority view these days. I will teach my kids that when they truly think they are mature enough and ready and with someone they really care about and have been dating more than a damn week that should come talk to me and get my input. If they are not ready I will try to talk some sense into them but provide the tools for safe sex just in case. If my kid needs condoms or birth control then I will get it for them, I would rather they not have to use them but if they are going to have sex then they might as well be as safe as possible. Oh and no damn way are they fucking in my house, shit I am 20 and going to college and that's still the rule here. No sex in my Dad's house, he doesn't want to hear it, he doesn't want to know about it, and he doesn't want to run the risk of my younger step-siblings walking in on it, and he doesn't want me knocking someone up in his house heh, he seems to think you should wait till you get a nice stable job that you can support a family on before you risk having kids, which ideally would be great but yeah most people aren't going to wait till they are like 25 and out of college with a $60k a year job to fuck.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Here's the main thing that bugs me with all this: Parents who justify their stupid, irrational behavior just because of a genetic link (or a marital link, in the case of this man in the story) to someone.

We wouldn't let other people get away with doing such terrible things out of "love." But it's ok, because it's family, and we love our family enough to... not think about how our actions might affect them?

Caring a lot for someone can make you think and want to do stupid things, but he'd been thinking about his stepdaughter the slightest bit, he could have stepped away and thought, "You know, I can't really be a father to this girl from jail." He could have also protected his stepdaughter by sparing his family this horribly negative experience and exposure.

Instead, he took the, "She's family so I can do this and fuck the consequences" route, which is great, because having a parent in jail does great things for a kid's mental and emotional state.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

As for the Bad Boys clip, I understand where he is coming from. I myself would probably not actually beat the shit out of the dude if I caught him with my sister or some day my daughter if I have one but it's about fear. You put out this persona of bad ass to try and keep the kid in line, come on a lot of the forum is older you had to have that stereotypical Dad that just by "happenstance" was cleaning his shotgun when the new boyfriend first comes to the house?
Exactly. I wouldn't actually shoot him or even kick his ass, but as long as he THINKS I would it's good enough for me. I remember when I was 17 and checked out this one girl at the airport. There was a man sitting next to her reading a newspaper that was covering his face. I was doing my appraisal when the top half of the paper suddenly folded over and I saw her Dad's face. Holy God that was terrifying. I didn't think a human face could get that purple and do an inaudible snarl at the same time. I stayed away from her until the flight left.

However, the "baby daddy" is a whole different ball game. I probably really would threaten to shoot him.

Iaculus

A neanderthal who is working on a PhD and who can also quote Shakespeare?

And no, I'm not a heartless ogre. In fact, I helped take care of a litter of stray kittens last month.[/QUOTE]

Which character? Lord Capulet? 'Get thee to a nunnery' indeed.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Nah, more like Egeus from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

This man hath bewitch'd the bosom of my child;
Thou, thou, Lysander, thou hast given her rhymes,
And interchanged love-tokens with my child:
Thou hast by moonlight at her window sung,
With feigning voice verses of feigning love,
And stolen the impression of her fantasy
With bracelets of thy hair, rings, gawds, conceits,
Knacks, trifles, nosegays, sweetmeats, messengers
Of strong prevailment in unharden'd youth:
With cunning hast thou filch'd my daughter's heart,
Turn'd her obedience, which is due to me,
To stubborn harshness...

Iaculus

I beg the ancient privilege of Athens,
As she is mine, I may dispose of her:
Which shall either be to this gentleman
Or to her death, according to our law
Immediately provided in that case.

All together now:

Yeeee...

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Or maybe Laertes. EDIT: Thanks for the tip. Now I can do italics.

Then weigh what loss your honour may sustain,
If with too credent ear you list his songs,
Or lose your heart, or your chaste treasure open
To his unmaster'd importunity.
Fear it, Ophelia, fear it, my dear sister...

PS: It's Hamlet who says "get thee to a nunnery" when Ophelia tries to break up with him.

Iaculus

Or maybe Laertes. How do I make italics, btw? I don't see an option for them.

Then weigh what loss your honour may sustain,
If with too credent ear you list his songs,
Or lose your heart, or your chaste treasure open
To his unmaster'd importunity.
Fear it, Ophelia, fear it, my dear sister...

PS: It's Hamlet who says "get thee to a nunnery" when Ophelia tries to break up with him.
Ah, yes, couldn't quite recall the particulars of Papa Capulet's charming speech. Was pretty sure there was a whorehouse reference in there somewhere, though. He just said:

An you be mine, I'll give you to my friend;
An you be not, hang, beg, starve, die in the streets,
For, by my soul, I'll ne'er acknowledge thee,
Nor what is mine shall never do thee good.

Incidentally, I somehow don't quite feel that having sex under your roof is exactly comparable with extensive emotional abuse leading to sort-of-suicidal insanity. Maybe that's just me, though.

Regarding the coding, try quoting my post with the appropriate button. You'll see it that way.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

With all due respect, Ironbrig, I gather from this conversation that you have neither a daughter, nor guns...or even a house for that matter.

So, basically your opinion on how you're going to 'rule the roost' is akin to hearing a virgin talk about what his love life 'will be like'--16 to 17 years from now. Dude, you have no clue what your home situation is going to be like until you get slapped in the face with the reality of it.

Dave

Dave

As a father with a 15 year old daughter (soon to be 16) I can say that I would immediately close the door (although I doubt I would have just opened it without knocking first), then I would inform the young man that they were done now regardless of whether or not they were done now, I would follow that up with opening the front door to let him out with a promise of a talk in the near future. Then I would inform my daughter that she was confined to her room until mom had a chance to talk with her about safe sex & STDs.

When I talked to the kid I would inform him that what he was doing was disrespectful and that if he ever did it again in my house they would have a very hard time ever seeing each other again. I would then go on to tell him that while I can't be around them 24/7 if I ever heard they sneaked around and had unsafe sex I would be very, very upset and angry at him. I would be sure to emphasize the word unsafe to get through to his thick skull that while I don't approve, if they are going to it had better be safe or he would pay the piper. I probably wouldn't do anything to him, but the inherent threat would certainly be there.

It's HER fault, too so he won't get all the fun talks/pressures/thinly veiled threats.

Steven Soderburgin

No, seriously, can someone please explain why it is totally acceptable and okay for a father to threaten or commit violence against another person, particularly someone likely about 20 years their junior, for having consensual and safe sex with the man's daughter? Why is it "disrespectful" to do it in your home? Why is it your place to take offense at your daughter's healthy sexual exploration? Would you have the same reaction if it was your son having sex with a girl in your house?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Plus, all that extra bloodshed spreads STDs JUST as well as any stray spunk.

Morgoth

No, seriously, can someone please explain why it is totally acceptable and okay for a father to threaten or commit violence against another person, particularly someone likely about 20 years their junior, for having consensual and safe sex with the man's daughter? Why is it "disrespectful" to do it in your home? Why is it your place to take offense at your daughter's healthy sexual exploration? Would you have the same reaction if it was your son having sex with a girl in your house?
I don't know anything about you or your lifestyle and you can throw as much p.c. bullcrap as you want, but I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of my children having sex in their teen years, safe or not. Walking in on it would be icing on the cake of that concern.

Moreover, it's disrespectful to 'do it' in your home (in my home anyway) because I have set guidelines that I wish my children to live under, and while they're under my roof (i.e. I pay the bills, pay for their things etc..) I expect some appreciation and respect for those things. I honestly don't think raising your kids with these values is the household dictatorship you're making it out to be. If by healthy exploration of sexuality, you're suggesting that parents let their kids go upstairs and shag with your consent and blessings while you and the Mrs. settle down in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn, amidst the moans and thumping, then buddy you've got some screws loose. I wouldn't allow that regardless of my kid's gender, and I don't believe anyone who's worth their grain of salt as a parent would either.

As for threatening violence towards someone to get your way... Well that is usually the quickest and easiest way to get one's point across. Our job as parents is to protect our kids the best we can; even it's against things they think they're ready for. Would I follow through with roughing someone up? I'll let you know in about 14 years... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't shake his hand and give him cudos for nailing my daughter though.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

As a father with a 15 year old daughter (soon to be 16) I can say that I would immediately close the door (although I doubt I would have just opened it without knocking first), then I would inform the young man that they were done now regardless of whether or not they were done now, I would follow that up with opening the front door to let him out with a promise of a talk in the near future. Then I would inform my daughter that she was confined to her room until mom had a chance to talk with her about safe sex & STDs.

When I talked to the kid I would inform him that what he was doing was disrespectful and that if he ever did it again in my house they would have a very hard time ever seeing each other again. I would then go on to tell him that while I can't be around them 24/7 if I ever heard they sneaked around and had unsafe sex I would be very, very upset and angry at him. I would be sure to emphasize the word unsafe to get through to his thick skull that while I don't approve, if they are going to it had better be safe or he would pay the piper. I probably wouldn't do anything to him, but the inherent threat would certainly be there.

It's HER fault, too so he won't get all the fun talks/pressures/thinly veiled threats.

I'd probably do the same thing, abide with a little more grabbing at the scruff of the neck. :-D

Dave

Dave

As this follows my post I assume that I'm a part of these questions, so I'll answer.

1) Threatening and doing violence are 2 different things. I know that you are still going to be down on me for it, but threats are sometimes the way to go. If they fear you they'll think twice about the consequences of their actions - something kids their age tend not to do. It's MY job to make sure they think about shit before they do it.

2) It's disrespectful by BOTH of them because we as parents set down rules and regulations and sneaking around doing this as a minor flies in the face of these rules.

3) Again, it's my place to ensure that my daughter has a future and does not fuck it up by succumbing to the ranging hormones that are a logic-diffusing part of "healthy" sexual exploration.

4) Would I have the same reaction to my son? Probably not now because he's 18, but when he was a minor you damned right. His life could be ruined by not practicing safe sex, too.

Again, I know it's cliche, but raising the kids of others is much easier than raising kids of your own. Sideline parenting is an easy, easy job.

fade

fade

Yeaaah. You're going to lose that argument, buddy. This thread is about a daughter explicitly. Go start another thread on sons, and I guarantee you'll get the same reaction. You dumped a HUGE load of assumption into that post.

As for "why is it your place"? Really? Do I have to answer that? You're right. I also will stop teaching my kids how to read and write. It's healthier and more correct for me to allow them to explore those chunky paper things on their own. If you find that too "straw mannish", then let's use a more age equivalent one. Why bother teaching her to drive. Let her discover the keys and the car on her own.

Steven Soderburgin

I don't know anything about you or your lifestyle and you can throw as much p.c. bullcrap as you want, but I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of my children having sex in their teen years, safe or not. Walking in on it would be icing on the cake of that concern.

Moreover, it's disrespectful to 'do it' in your home (in my home anyway) because I have set guidelines that I wish my children to live under, and while they're under my roof (i.e. I pay the bills, pay for their things etc..) I expect some appreciation and respect for those things. I honestly don't think raising your kids with these values is the household dictatorship you're making it out to be. If by healthy exploration of sexuality, you're suggesting that parents let their kids go upstairs and shag with your consent and blessings while you and the Mrs. settle down in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn, amidst the moans and thumping, then buddy you've got some screws loose. I wouldn't allow that regardless of my kid's gender, and I don't believe anyone who's worth their grain of salt as a parent would either.

As for threatening violence towards someone to get your way... Well that is usually the quickest and easiest way to get one's point across. Our job as parents is to protect our kids the best we can; even it's against things they think they're ready for. Would I follow through with roughing someone up? I'll let you know in about 14 years... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't shake his hand and give him cudos for nailing my daughter though.
I'll get to the rest of your post in a minute, but I do want to assure you that I am not at all suggesting that you happily let your daughter (or son) do whatever he or she wants while you listen to the bed creaking downstairs, nor I am suggesting you to fist bump the guy or gal when they're on their way out the door.
As this follows my post I assume that I'm a part of these questions, so I'll answer.

1) Threatening and doing violence are 2 different things. I know that you are still going to be down on me for it, but threats are sometimes the way to go. If they fear you they'll think twice about the consequences of their actions - something kids their age tend not to do. It's MY job to make sure they think about shit before they do it.

2) It's disrespectful by BOTH of them because we as parents set down rules and regulations and sneaking around doing this as a minor flies in the face of these rules.

3) Again, it's my place to ensure that my daughter has a future and does not fuck it up by succumbing to the ranging hormones that are a logic-diffusing part of "healthy" sexual exploration.

4) Would I have the same reaction to my son? Probably not now because he's 18, but when he was a minor you damned right. His life could be ruined by not practicing safe sex, too.

Again, I know it's cliche, but raising the kids of others is much easier than raising kids of your own. Sideline parenting is an easy, easy job.
These are exactly the kinds of answers I was hoping to get. Thank you, gentlemen. You're right, of course, that they both would likely be disrespecting the implied rules of your house. I wasn't trying to do any sideline parenting, nor was I trying to imply that it was a simple issue with an easy answer. It never is. I hope that I would be able to handle this sort of thing with patience, but I don't know that I would be able to. I would hope that if this ever happened to one of my kids, I would've talked to them about safe sex, about making smart decisions, about having self-respect and not letting anyone pressure them into something they didn't want to do. And if I caught my kid, I would hope that I could talk to them about it without shaming them because they were curious about sex or anything like that. But who knows what I would do when faced with it? But I like to think that I wouldn't threaten or commit violence against anyone. I'd probably threaten to call the dude's parents, though. But yeah, who knows. I think you guys seem to have a pretty damn decent way of going about it, even if I personally would go a different way.

Thanks again for your honest answers.
Yeaaah. You're going to lose that argument, buddy. This thread is about a daughter explicitly. Go start another thread on sons, and I guarantee you'll get the same reaction. You dumped a HUGE load of assumption into that post.

As for "why is it your place"? Really? Do I have to answer that? You're right. I also will stop teaching my kids how to read and write. It's healthier and more correct for me to allow them to explore those chunky paper things on their own. If you find that too "straw mannish", then let's use a more age equivalent one. Why bother teaching her to drive. Let her discover the keys and the car on her own.
That's absolutely still a strawman argument. I never said that parents shouldn't be involved in teaching their children about sex and how to go about exploring sex safely and be completely hands off, letting them figure it out for themselves. My personal stance, and what I hope to be able to do if I ever raise children, is that kids should be taught that sex is normal and healthy, but that they need to be very smart about it. As for the assumption, I don't think it's too great of a stretch considering some of the other posts in the thread to assume that dads similar to IronBrig would not have nearly the same reaction if they caught their sons having sex, and to be completely fair, I felt it was obvious that it was those sorts of posts I was mainly responding to.

fade

fade

As you can see from my post, I was well aware I was making a straw man. But the kernel remains--I was exaggerating for effect. It it is my every right as a parent to be offended by sex in my house because it's my right to protect my own offspring. It is, in your own words, normal and healthy for me to do so. It's still part of my teaching process.

Also, it wasn't at all clear who you were talking to, which ought to be obvious from the amount of posts you got in reply.

Morgoth

I never said that parents shouldn't be involved in teaching their children about sex and how to go about exploring sex safely and be completely hands off, letting them figure it out for themselves.

Alright, dear, you put the handcuffs on like so... No no no, that'll chafe if you arch over in that direction. Do you need help putting that leather mask on? Always remember the safety word.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D

Steven Soderburgin

As you can see from my post, I was well aware I was making a straw man. But the kernel remains--I was exaggerating for effect.
Yes, this is what a strawman is: turning an argument into something it's not to weaken it
It it is my every right as a parent to be offended by sex in my house because it's my right to protect my own offspring. It is, in your own words, normal and healthy for me to do so. It's still part of my teaching process.
Yep, and I agree with this. I honestly hadn't thought of the whole "my daughter and her guy are breaking implied rules of the home that we, her parents, provide for her," since I don't own my home or have a family, so I didn't get the whole "disrespecting" thing. As I said, I like to think I wouldn't be offended so much as I'd be concerned about the decisions he or she was making.
Also, it wasn't at all clear who you were talking to, which ought to be obvious from the amount of posts you got in reply.
Yeah, I got that. I thought it was pretty clear when I was making that post, though. Ah well. The internet is a great communication tool, but can be confusing sometimes.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

What the hell, Kissinger? :angry:

Steven Soderburgin

whoa what did i do

Dave

Dave

I think that was someone not reading the whole thread.

Steven Soderburgin

i uh

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

whoa what did i do
You're displaying generous amounts of wisdom, tolerance, patience, and humility. Where did this side of you come from? What happened to the indignant, self-righteous prick who mercilesly condemned those who disagreed with him? I don't like this change of heart, sir, I don't like it one bit.

:D

Gusto

Gusto

:eek:hwell:

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Heh.

I was expecting Kissinger to act all high and mighty, or to troll people on such a topic of abortion and the over-aggressive father. Instead I was surprised - pleasantly I might add - by the decorum and understanding he's shown in this discussion.

:)

Steven Soderburgin

Look I'll still be hell of indignant and self-righteous if some backward ass father wanna treat his daughter and by extension her sexuality as his property instead of as her own person with her own thoughts, ideas, feelings, and desires.

Kitty Sinatra

okay, who messed up what's currently the first tag. It should read "a groin's a hard target"

SeraRelm

Well first I'd impale them with a claymore, mid-coupling, effectively pinning them to the bed like a butterfly in a collection, then I'd tow the bed out to an abandoned field where I'd douse the entirety in gasoline before setting it aflame. After the fire died down, I'd gather the ashes and remains, pass them through a wood chipper, burn them again, then sprinkle them over the ocean.

That'd teach them to deepen their relationship.

Dave

Dave

Well first I'd impale them with a claymore, mid-coupling, effectively pinning them to the bed like a butterfly in a collection, then I'd tow the bed out to an abandoned field where I'd douse the entirety in gasoline before setting it aflame. After the fire died down, I'd gather the ashes and remains, pass them through a wood chipper, burn them again, then sprinkle them over the ocean.

99% of teenage sex is only deepening the relationship for 1/2 of the couple.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Great Mum or Greatest Mum?

Fun Size

Fun Size

99% of teenage sex is only deepening the relationship five and a half inches.[/QUOTE]

FTFY

Morgoth

99% of teenage sex is only deepening the relationship for 1/2 of the couple.[/QUOTE]

"Aww come on baby, you know I love you right?" "Don't you love me?" "I want to express our love more physically."

Yes sir, I've been around block enough when I was a youngin to know what's pulsating through young men's heads (both top and bottom).

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

99% of teenage sex is only deepening the relationship five and a half inches.[/quote]

FTFY[/QUOTE]

HAHA!

And then brags about the relationship being about 7-8!

SeraRelm

What's with the assumption that girls are helpless and can't say no?

fade

fade

As you can see from my post, I was well aware I was making a straw man. But the kernel remains--I was exaggerating for effect.
Yes, this is what a strawman is: turning an argument into something it's not to weaken it[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know. I was pointing out that the argument wasn't to be taken entirely at face value.

Gusto

Gusto

This.

Or that guys are scheming tricksters with sinister aims?

Morgoth

Yes, they can say no. How long ago were you a teenager? Have you forgotten how hard it is to resist peer pressure, let alone pressure from a boyfriend/girlfriend?

"Just touch it once." "You'll like it." "Please, baby, you mean so much to me."

Do I need to go on, or do you need further reminders that teenagers are probably the worst decision makers on Earth?

SeraRelm

1: I joined the soccer team to enjoy the view, I remember well how raging hormones worked so very long ago in the ancient days of yore.
2: Why are you still assuming it's always the girl who is the victim/target?
3: Assuming your child will always make mistakes and is always wrong will only push them into it. Maybe if you tried guiding a child rather than expecting the worst every single time, you'd have less problems.
4: Sex is by far not the worst thing in which a teenager can get involved. Looking at Dave's post, I'm thinking he's probably one of the most level headed about this and he has a daughter the same age as that fellow's.

Piotyr

Piotyr

2: Why are you still assuming it's always the girl who is the victim/target?
I assume it has to do with the fact that 90% of the forum is populated with males that either (a) remember sexual encounters in which they were not the victim, or (b) yearn for sexual encounters in such a way that they would never be a victim. Doesn't make it right, just a certain perspective one would expect from a forum such as this (i.e. based around comics and games).

4: Sex is by far not the worst thing in which a teenager can get involved. Looking at Dave's post, I'm thinking he's probably one of the most level headed about this and he has a daughter the same age as that fellow's.
It's not the worst thing, sure, but unsafe hetero sex carries with it a lot of risks and thus responsibilities that can affect an individual for the rest of his or her life, and thinking about the consequences of an action isn't the strong point for many an adolescent.

Steven Soderburgin

I assume it has to do with the fact that 90% of the forum is populated with males that either (a) remember sexual encounters in which they were not the victim, or (b) yearn for sexual encounters in such a way that they would never be a victim. Doesn't make it right, just a certain perspective one would expect from a forum such as this (i.e. based around comics and games).
Or really anywhere in society. Furthermore, *100 page post about male gaze, sexism, male privilege, etc, etc*
It's not the worst thing, sure, but unsafe hetero sex carries with it a lot of risks and thus responsibilities that can affect an individual for the rest of his or her life, and thinking about the consequences of an action isn't the strong point for many an adolescent.
That's why it's the parent's responsibility to make sure their children are aware of these risks and know how to avoid them.

SeraRelm

The first might hold true for some of them, but I doubt it's so for all. It's more than likely due to personal experiences for those few, but it's still a general stereotype that I don't see holding true given the way teenagers act these days.

As for the second, I agree, but guiding them to do so safely is a more reasonable and responsible approach which is why I mentioned Dave's post. You can't really guide a child to steal responsibly or do cocaine safely.

Armadillo

The first might hold true for some of them, but I doubt it's so for all. It's more than likely due to personal experiences for those few, but it's still a general stereotype that I don't see holding true given the way teenagers act these days.

As for the second, I agree, but guiding them to do so safely is a more reasonable and responsible approach which is why I mentioned Dave's post. You can't really guide a child to steal responsibly or do cocaine safely.
Sera, I respect what you're saying, but you're coming at this from a completely different viewpoint than I am. Let me explain where I'm coming from:

I'm all for equal rights for all. My wife is the breadwinner, I want my daughter to be able to do whatever she wants in life, and to be subservient to nobody. So that takes care of my "I'm not a Neanderthal" defense.

My job as a father is to protect my children from harm, while also preparing them for their life as adults. Teaching safe sex is part of the preparation part, as is instilling enough self-respect in her that she won't cave in to peer pressure or any other kind of pressure that could compromise her life and/or goals. (Note: this goes for any hypothetical sons as well, but since I only have a girl, I'll be using "she" and "her" for this.)

As for the "protection," I remember what it was like being a teenaged boy with raging hormones, and how much of a factor sex was in my decision-making process. I don't like the idea of some teenaged horned-up punk looking at my little angel as a potential hookup or whatever else he thinks; it's purely emotional, so asking me or anyone else to defend this viewpoint in a rational way is an exercise in futility. It's part of the hardwired "defend the family" thing we have going on.

I was there when she was born, I watched her take her first breath, I've held her through fevers, colds, flus, anger, sadness, and I'll continue to do so as long as I live. I'd willingly lay my life down for her, and I refuse to apologize or be made to feel guilty for being protective of her.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

With all due respect, Ironbrig, I gather from this conversation that you have neither a daughter, nor guns...or even a house for that matter.

So, basically your opinion on how you're going to 'rule the roost' is akin to hearing a virgin talk about what his love life 'will be like'--16 to 17 years from now. Dude, you have no clue what your home situation is going to be like until you get slapped in the face with the reality of it.
Nope, I already said I don't have kids or guns. The majority of my cash goes towards school and paying rent in Hawaii. And I know I won't have a clue about what my home life will be like until it actually happens. The missus would probably make me soften my reaction somewhat anyways.

But I do remember being 17, and one of the lessons I learned was the threat of getting my ass kicked was more than enough to make me bring her home by 11. There was the usual respect towards girls too, but the mental imagery of her angry dad scared the crap out of me. Of course now I know he wouldn't actually have done it, but that definitely leaves an impression on a teenaged boy's mind. And teenagers love to talk, so word gets out around school that so-and-so's dad has a shotgun.

And teenagers are NOT adults. Physically yes, but certainly not mentally. Think about what you were like at 16 or 17. You weren't smart back then and you did a lot of stupid stuff due to raging hormones. In fact, you were a goddamned idiot. Not "you" personally, but "you" in general. Most of those escapades were learning experiences that you couldn't have learned any other way, but I'm sure there were some things you did that you regret. Perhaps a girl's intimidating father might have prevented some of that?

@ Armadillo: YES! That's what I've been trying to say all along.

Morgoth

That's why it's the parent's responsibility to make sure their children are aware of these risks and know how to avoid them.

I'd say it's my responsibility to promote the "keep it in your pants" philosophy first and foremost.

Steven Soderburgin

I'd say it's my responsibility to promote the "keep it in your pants" philosophy first and foremost.
Yes, but considering that abstinence-only sex education has been proven to be ineffective and actually contributes to increases in teen pregnancy and the spread of STD's, letting them know how to be smart and safe if they choose to have sex is equally important.

Morgoth

Yes, but considering that abstinence-only sex education has been proven to be ineffective and actually contributes to increases in teen pregnancy and the spread of STD's, letting them know how to be smart and safe if they choose to have sex is equally important.[/QUOTE]

Buddy, you're preaching to the choir. Do you know how many teen girls I set up with birth control every week; how many of the ol' 'wrap it up' speeches I give to my sexually active patients? I see the same look on those parent's faces as I would have on my own. It's a last resort, last ditch effort to keep them safe. Frankly, I get angry when I'm the first one to teach these kids these sorts of things instead of their parents explaining the birds and bees.

I still will refuse to condone my kids having sex while their under my roof to the fullest extent that I can.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Nope, I already said I don't have kids or guns. The majority of my cash goes towards school and paying rent in Hawaii. And I know I won't have a clue about what my home life will be like until it actually happens. The missus would probably make me soften my reaction somewhat anyways.

But I do remember being 17, and one of the lessons I learned was the threat of getting my ass kicked was more than enough to make me bring her home by 11. There was the usual respect towards girls too, but the mental imagery of her angry dad scared the crap out of me. Of course now I know he wouldn't actually have done it, but that definitely leaves an impression on a teenaged boy's mind. And teenagers love to talk, so word gets out around school that so-and-so's dad has a shotgun.

And teenagers are NOT adults. Physically yes, but certainly not mentally. Think about what you were like at 16 or 17. You weren't smart back then and you did a lot of stupid stuff due to raging hormones. In fact, you were a goddamned idiot. Not "you" personally, but "you" in general. Most of those escapades were learning experiences that you couldn't have learned any other way, but I'm sure there were some things you did that you regret. Perhaps a girl's intimidating father might have prevented some of that?

@ Armadillo: YES! That's what I've been trying to say all along.[/quote]

You don't gotta tell me what being 17 was like. I remember it vividly.I mention it in a previous post, also.

I was a black belt in kung fu by the time I was in high school. That, and cocky high school hormones meant that I wasn't really afraid of anyone's father, regardless of whether I should have been or not.

I just don't think you have to threaten grevious bodily harm to teens in order to get them to follow your rules, or to think twice about their actions, even though it may be the easier course of action. I certainly don't believe that sexual experimentation among teens who have reached the age of consent is worth aggravated assault, battery, or attempted murder.

Heavan

I don't see what other options you guys are giving your daughters if you forbid sex in your home and/or threaten to hurt the guy if they do it. I mean, where else is there? You admit that you know they'll have sex, but you'll be damned if it'll be your house they do it in! Where, then? A back alley? Public restroom? 300 dollar hotel room?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yes, they can say no. How long ago were you a teenager? Have you forgotten how hard it is to resist peer pressure, let alone pressure from a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Do I need to go on, or do you need further reminders that teenagers are probably the worst decision makers on Earth?[/QUOTE]

Do men... sorry.... boys really say those things and expect a positive reaction?

Suddenly I'm ecstatic that I haven't dated much.

Biardo

Do I need to go on, or do you need further reminders that teenagers are probably the worst decision makers on Earth?[/QUOTE]

Do men... sorry.... boys really say those things and expect a positive reaction?

Suddenly I'm ecstatic that I haven't dated much.[/QUOTE]

who says anything about dating, I, as a boy, use those lines every change I've got :cool:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yes, but considering that abstinence-only sex education has been proven to be ineffective and actually contributes to increases in teen pregnancy and the spread of STD's, letting them know how to be smart and safe if they choose to have sex is equally important.
Proven? Depends on what kind of education you're talking about, and how you define ineffective. Programs where students were told "don't have sex" have not worked. Programs where students were not only told to abstain, but were also given support in how to resist peer pressure, etc, have been proven to actually be effective.

It's like saying "diets don't work", and then citing crash diets and chronic yo-yo dieters as examples. Not that I support abstinence-only education, but I also don't believe that promoting abstinence is useless. It is possible to reduce the number of teens having sex, by supporting them in not just choosing what decision is best, but how to actually follow through on such a decision.

Steven Soderburgin

Proven? Depends on what kind of education you're talking about, and how you define ineffective. Programs where students were told \"don't have sex\" have not worked. Programs where students were not only told to abstain, but were also given support in how to resist peer pressure, etc, have been proven to actually be effective.

It's like saying \"diets don't work\", and then citing crash diets and chronic yo-yo dieters as examples. Not that I support abstinence-only education, but I also don't believe that promoting abstinence is useless. It is possible to reduce the number of teens having sex, by supporting them in not just choosing what decision is best, but how to actually follow through on such a decision.
Uh what.

i'm talking about the actual abstinence-only programs that have been put to use in schools, and have received massive criticism from organizations like the AMA, APA, APHA and several other health organizations for being ineffective. Comprehensive sex education programs, i.e. programs which discuss abstinence as well as educating on contraceptives and their proper use, have been shown to be far more effective.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Uh what.

i'm talking about the actual abstinence-only programs that have been put to use in schools, and have received massive criticism from organizations like the AMA, APA, APHA and several other health organizations for being ineffective. Comprehensive sex education programs, i.e. programs which discuss abstinence as well as educating on contraceptives and their proper use, have been shown to be far more effective.
And there are also programs that are are abstinence-only, but provide students with mentoring and other resources that have been shown to be effective.

Steven Soderburgin

And there are also programs that are are abstinence-only, but provide students with mentoring and other resources that have been shown to be effective.
link to those please, and any statements or studies from reputable organizations that do show them to be effective.

figmentPez

figmentPez

link to those please, and any statements or studies from reputable organizations that do show them to be effective.
Sorry, don't have links. I didn't think to bookmark them when I read them, and I don't care enough to spend however long it takes to re-find them. You can either believe me or not.

Steven Soderburgin

If you can't provide sources, then I'll continue believing what has been shown over and over by multiple studies from reputable sources, which is that comprehensive sex education is far and away the most effective way to prevent teen pregnancies and the spread of STIs among teens.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I don't see what other options you guys are giving your daughters if you forbid sex in your home and/or threaten to hurt the guy if they do it. I mean, where else is there? You admit that you know they'll have sex, but you'll be damned if it'll be your house they do it in! Where, then? A back alley? Public restroom? 300 dollar hotel room?
It's called decorum. You don't have to allow something you don't like under your very roof. Particularly not when you're master of the house. Perhaps they can wait until they reach the age of consent? I did that. It's hard but do-able. Heh, that's what she said. After all, having sex does not make a boy a man. The ability to face the consequences and take responsibility for one's actions does. To be honest, I don't think modern teenagers can do that. I certainly couldn't have at 17. Those proposition lines that you saw a few posts back? Those are real, and they WORK because teens are dumb. I'll admit I was dumb when I was a teenager, and so were the rest of you. Don't kid yourselves.

Until not too long ago, the father would have been well within his rights to kill the guy if he got her pregnant. Honor would have decreed that he either married her or died. Greek and Roman fathers could have strangled him or taken a dagger to his throat. Renaissance and Enlightenment-era brothers or cousins could have challenged him to swords or pistols at dawn. The family's reputation was everything and decided if the children could marry well. Of course I'm glad we've moved on from that because honor killings can quickly spiral out of control and turn into feuds.

But what authority can the father have now? Of course I'm not suggesting murder or challenging him to a duel. I'm not even suggesting kicking the sleazeball's ass. But is he supposed to be completely powerless? Is he supposed to just sit back and think, "Oh well, they're just fucking?"

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Ad I am getting by viewing this thread....

Gusto

Gusto

Even in my Catholic school upbringing we weren't given abstinence-only sex ed. We were given all the various contraception methods, told which ones were unsafe (ie. pulling out) and THEN told tat abstinence was the only 100% method.

In Catholic school.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Even in my Catholic school upbringing we weren't given abstinence-only sex ed. We were given all the various contraception methods, told which ones were unsafe (ie. pulling out) and THEN told tat abstinence was the only 100% method.

In Catholic school.
I'd have preferred your Catholic school. We didn't learn about any type of birth control in "Family Life" class. We learned about deodorant, pregnancy, NFP/motherhood, and why you shouldn't douche. :eek:rly:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

In public school we were told about safe and unsafe sex. Condoms, pills, foam, all that stuff. There was also a bit about how to resist pressure (and yes, those same cheesy pickup lines were used). At the beginning and end of the sex-ed week, though, we were told that the only 100% sure way to avoid STD's or pregnancy was to abstain.

Teenagers' pickup line: "I just want to show you how much I love you."
Adults' pickup line: "Are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you've got fine written all over you."

You wouldn't believe some of the tags this thread has now.

Gusto

Gusto

In Catholic school.
I'd have preferred your Catholic school. We didn't learn about any type of birth control in "Family Life" class. We learned about deodorant, pregnancy, NFP/motherhood, and why you shouldn't douche. :eek:rly:[/QUOTE]

Not to turn this political, but this may be a difference that socialized healthcare has something to do with...

Armadillo

I think a lot of people here are still in the "teenage" or "pre-kids" mindset as it regards sex. TRUST ME, when you look into your newborn son or daughter's eyes for the first time, everything changes.

SeraRelm

*points at Dave again*

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

In Catholic school.
We more or less got that too. A pity almost everybody was sleeping around for some years when we had the "experts" come and talk about that.

EDIT: And that the second "expert" was not an expert in anything, just an ass that, in very "I'm modern and straightforward" way told us homosexuality was wrong, anal sex was wrong, masturbation was wrong... EVERYTHING was wrong. Except straight basic sexual intercourse.

I still remember when we got back at the classroom and our teacher, who was this old kind lady who I would have never though I would hear talk about sex decided she was so outraged about all that talk that she decided we would not have our class of catalan literature and talk about lesbians instead.

Chazwozel

It's called decorum. You don't have to allow something you don't like under your very roof. Particularly not when you're master of the house. Perhaps they can wait until they reach the age of consent? I did that. It's hard but do-able. Heh, that's what she said. After all, having sex does not make a boy a man. The ability to face the consequences and take responsibility for one's actions does. To be honest, I don't think modern teenagers can do that. I certainly couldn't have at 17. Those proposition lines that you saw a few posts back? Those are real, and they WORK because teens are dumb. I'll admit I was dumb when I was a teenager, and so were the rest of you. Don't kid yourselves.

Until not too long ago, the father would have been well within his rights to kill the guy if he got her pregnant. Honor would have decreed that he either married her or died. Greek and Roman fathers could have strangled him or taken a dagger to his throat. Renaissance and Enlightenment-era brothers or cousins could have challenged him to swords or pistols at dawn. The family's reputation was everything and decided if the children could marry well. Of course I'm glad we've moved on from that because honor killings can quickly spiral out of control and turn into feuds.

But what authority can the father have now? Of course I'm not suggesting murder or challenging him to a duel. I'm not even suggesting kicking the sleazeball's ass. But is he supposed to be completely powerless? Is he supposed to just sit back and think, "Oh well, they're just fucking?"[/QUOTE]

I just had to come in and say you fucking rule Iron Brig. No sarcasm. No underlying jab. You just fucking rule. Don't let these weenies tell you otherwise. Let me tell you something about the community here. Most of them pee sitting down. That's the kind of men you're talking to. I'm sure that they'd rage to the max if they caught their daughter as in the OP article. They just wouldn't have the balls to follow through with ruffing the asshole up. I mean according to Kissenger, you're supposed to serve the boyfriend tea and crumpets before sending him off with a stern lecture and a pat on the head.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

I think a lot of people here are still in the "teenage" or "pre-kids" mindset as it regards sex. TRUST ME, when you look into your newborn son or daughter's eyes for the first time, everything changes.

No, you're evil. Sideline parents always know what's best for your kid, especially if they have no kids of their own. Yup. You should do what Kissybear suggests and allow them to fuck in the next room. At least they're safe right?

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

If you can't provide sources, then I'll continue believing what has been shown over and over by multiple studies from reputable sources, which is that comprehensive sex education is far and away the most effective way to prevent teen pregnancies and the spread of STIs among teens.
Yes, it's better and effective when parents are dipshits and feel it's the school system's responsibility to teach their kids about sex. Some education is better than no education about it at all. If you raise your kid with self respect and the understanding that they're too young for it, at least they'll think twice before going through with it.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

In Catholic school.
I'd have preferred your Catholic school. We didn't learn about any type of birth control in "Family Life" class. We learned about deodorant, pregnancy, NFP/motherhood, and why you shouldn't douche. :eek:rly:[/QUOTE]

o.o?

o.ô??

o.Ô??

Morgoth

But what authority can the father have now? Of course I'm not suggesting murder or challenging him to a duel. I'm not even suggesting kicking the sleazeball's ass. But is he supposed to be completely powerless? Is he supposed to just sit back and think, "Oh well, they're just fucking?"[/quote]

I just had to come in and say you fucking rule Iron Brig. No sarcasm. No underlying jab. You just fucking rule. Don't let these weenies tell you otherwise. Let me tell you something about the community here. Most of them pee sitting down. That's the kind of men you're talking to. I'm sure that they'd rage to the max if they caught their daughter as in the OP article. They just wouldn't have the balls to follow through with ruffing the asshole up. I mean according to Kissenger, you're supposed to serve the boyfriend tea and crumpets before sending him off with a stern lecture and a pat on the head.

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

No, you're evil. Sideline parents always know what's best for your kid, especially if they have no kids of their own. Yup. You should do what Kissybear suggests and allow them to fuck in the next room. At least they're safe right?

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

Yes, it's better and effective when parents are dipshits and feel it's the school system's responsibility to teach their kids about sex. Some education is better than no education about it at all. If you raise your kid with self respect and the understanding that they're too young for it, at least they'll think twice before going through with it.[/quote]

Dude, I know for a fact I didn't pee in your morning coffee; did the dog take a dump on the carpet again? Relax. I know Kissinger means well. I wouldn't take advice from him about child rearing, if he has no kids of his own, but it appears he means well. Just smile and nod and move on.

Chippy

Chippy

Oh hey look it's Chaz. What a surprise

Morgoth

To be fair, I pointed my thread out to him.

Chippy

Chippy

To be fair, I pointed my thread out to him.[/QUOTE]

Ah.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Do men... sorry.... boys really say those things and expect a positive reaction?[/QUOTE]

Well yes, but boys talk to themselves a lot, so you can't be too surprised.

Steven Soderburgin

But what authority can the father have now? Of course I'm not suggesting murder or challenging him to a duel. I'm not even suggesting kicking the sleazeball's ass. But is he supposed to be completely powerless? Is he supposed to just sit back and think, "Oh well, they're just fucking?"
Hmm, it's almost as if there could be a... what's the word.... balance? Medium? Between those two options?

Nah, that's crazy.
What point are you trying to make? That because I don't have kids, I don't understand that it's actually okay to want to shoot or at least violently beat someone who is having consensual sex with my 16 year old child?

Look, I get the protective instinct. Even people without kids have that. I understand that. But your child does not belong to you. Is it a bad choice for them to be having sex at a young age? Probably, but if they've been prepared, then they'll likely be somewhat smart about it to minimize risks. Then you can call the parents of whoever they were with and let them know, then sit down with your child and talk to them about the choices they are making and why they should reconsider their choices. There's no reason to go into a blind rage. Kids make mistakes. Teenagers, doubly so.

I'm not trying to sideline parent. This is just my perspective on the matter. Plus, I find violence abhorrent and parents who treat their children as property extremely creepy and likely damaging.
Yes, it's better and effective when parents are dipshits and feel it's the school system's responsibility to teach their kids about sex. Some education is better than no education about it at all. If you raise your kid with self respect and the understanding that they're too young for it, at least they'll think twice before going through with it.
It's also better and effective when the parents aren't dipshits and teach the kids about responsibility and self respect as well. When the school REINFORCES these things, then it's incredibly effective.

Also, many parents are not perfect. The school giving the kids a comprehensive education is still very effective even when the parents don't do shit with regard to teaching their kids about sex.

Basically, I'm not sure what your point is or if you're even arguing against my points.

As for the rest of your post, you're kind of a pathetic loser who has to resort to strawman arguments and emasculating language to try to make it seem like you actually have anything to say. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

In Catholic school.

o.o?

o.ô??

o.Ô??[/QUOTE]

Yeah... well the deodorant because we were getting to be adolescents. We watched a video about it. :facepalm:

The beautiful thing is.. when my mom found out, she had dad bring home some Mayo Clinic software from work so she could teach me about sex herself. Mom's awesome.

Morgoth

Hmm, it's almost as if there could be a... what's the word.... balance? Medium? Between those two options?

Nah, that's crazy.
What point are you trying to make? That because I don't have kids, I don't understand that it's actually okay to want to shoot or at least violently beat someone who is having consensual sex with my 16 year old child?

Look, I get the protective instinct. Even people without kids have that. I understand that. But your child does not belong to you. Is it a bad choice for them to be having sex at a young age? Probably, but if they've been prepared, then they'll likely be somewhat smart about it to minimize risks. Then you can call the parents of whoever they were with and let them know, then sit down with your child and talk to them about the choices they are making and why they should reconsider their choices. There's no reason to go into a blind rage. Kids make mistakes. Teenagers, doubly so.

I'm not trying to sideline parent. This is just my perspective on the matter. Plus, I find violence abhorrent and parents who treat their children as property extremely creepy and likely damaging.
It's also better and effective when the parents aren't dipshits and teach the kids about responsibility and self respect as well. When the school REINFORCES these things, then it's incredibly effective.

Also, many parents are not perfect. The school giving the kids a comprehensive education is still very effective even when the parents don't do shit with regard to teaching their kids about sex.

Basically, I'm not sure what your point is or if you're even arguing against my points.

As for the rest of your post, you're kind of a pathetic loser who has to resort to strawman arguments and emasculating language to try to make it seem like you actually have anything to say. :)[/QUOTE]

You pee sitting down?

Steven Soderburgin

Only when shitting.

Dave

Dave

I sometimes pee sitting down when I'm tired or want to be quiet because everyone else is asleep. Besides, if I sit I can read in relative privacy. Not much something I worry about any more now that the kids are older, but at one point in time it was my sole refuge.

Cajungal

Cajungal

If I recall, some really cool and interesting person made a poll about it.

Morgoth

Only when shitting.

Touche'

I guess my big beef with your argument is the part about owning your kids. No they're not property, but you do own them. They're yours. You made them. From age 0-coming of age, it's your job to train and guide them to be their own person; they're your responsibility. Why do you think if a kid commits an illegal crime that kid's parents are the one's who are fined or punished? A person's child under the law is registered as their dependent. That is to say they still have their own rights from abuse etc..

Let me ask you something. Do you believe a 13 or 16 year old has the same rights as an adult? By that I mean, do they have the right to sue their parents for things like giving them a curfew to abide by, rules to follow, chores to do. You're basing your whole argument as if kids and teenagers are little mini-adults and that they can handle the responsibilities of adults. More often than not, parents know what's best for their tennager, more so than the teenager themselves. That whole spiel of yours about sexual exploration is kinda of bullcrap. You're certainly entitled to believe what you want to believe about how to raise a kid, but that sort of teenage mentality (all knowledge and no experience) really isn't worth the time for actual parents to muster over.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I sometimes pee sitting down when I'm tired or want to be quiet because everyone else is asleep. Besides, if I sit I can read in relative privacy. Not much something I worry about any more now that the kids are older, but at one point in time it was my sole refuge.

Man, I have to deadbolt the door and turn the fan on if I want some peace and quiet, lest I want to be walked in on by a 3 and 6 year old, or hear banging on the door. "Daddy, what you doin' in there!" They somehow always know when dad's in the John.

Zonker

Got a call from the school counselor yesterday, my 10 year old daughter has broken out crying three times the past few weeks because she misses me so much, I had promised to call but didn't. I called her yesterday and we told each other "I love you" ten times and she started crying again. Counselor has offered to put together a group for children of divorced parents.

You really, really, really would not understand until you have your own daughter.

I will probably always think of my daughter as the six year old cuddle bear who loves nothing more than to be tucked in at night with her stuffed animals and a hug and a kiss from her daddy.

So I don't know how I would react in a similar situation, but I know I would be extremely upset and irrational. Who knows what I would do? Don't have any guns and if I did I wouldn't shoot, certainly wouldn't aim at his crotch, I'm still grieving over Sean Taylor who was shot in the femoral artery and bled to death, wouldn't inflict that on anybody for anything. But I can see myself beating the crap out of him, easily.

If I caught my son doing it in my bed I would beat the crap out of him too, where's the double standard?

Steven Soderburgin

Let me ask you something. Do you believe a 13 or 16 year old has the same rights as an adult? By that I mean, do they have the right to sue their parents for things like giving them a curfew to abide by, rules to follow, chores to do. You're basing your whole argument as if kids and teenagers are little mini-adults and that they can handle the responsibilities of adults. More often than not, parents know what's best for their tennager, more so than the teenager themselves. That whole spiel of yours about sexual exploration is kinda of bullcrap. You're certainly entitled to believe what you want to believe about how to raise a kid, but that sort of teenage mentality (all knowledge and no experience) really isn't worth the time for actual parents to muster over.
If that's what you think my argument is, then you are seriously misreading me, or I'm not being clear.

I don't think of teenagers as mini-adults who can handle every responsibility or situation. I think teenagers definitely need guidance, but as they grow older, they're going to become more and more independent and no matter what rules you place on them or what guidance you give them, they are going to go out there and make their own decisions and mistakes. That's part of becoming an adult, and sexual growth is part of that as well.

Teenagers are going to have sex. They've always had sex, they always will. I did not ever say that you should be willing to sit downstairs listening to your son or daughter's bed bang against the wall. But I do feel that you shouldn't shame them or tell them that exploring their sexuality is bad or something they should hide, because it's perfectly natural and healthy as long as it's done in a smart and safe way. That's where parents come in. Answer questions they have openly and honestly, teach them they need to respect themselves, that sort of thing. Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't be happy if my son or daughter were having sex at 16, but I couldn't really say too much about it because that's when I first had sex. I'd still talk to them about it and let them know that they should probably wait to have sex until they're a little older and a little wiser, that they could ask me questions if they had them, and that it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm 26 years old and I don't have kids. I'm probably never going to have kids of my own (being half-gay and in a gay relationship but who knows), but I may adopt (if I can, woo). So yeah, this is coming from a no experience standpoint, and in time my position may change. But who knows.

My main objections to some of the attitudes shown in the thread are the violent overreactions (not all of the reactions expressed were violent in nature, but they were still pretty overblown, imo) and the virginal woman ideal combined with the attitude of owning your daughter and her sexuality (though that was pretty limited and mostly earlier in the thread, and there was some slight double-standard talk but once again that was pretty limited).

Morgoth

My main objections to some of the attitudes shown in the thread are the violent overreactions (not all of the reactions expressed were violent in nature, but they were still pretty overblown, imo) and the virginal woman ideal combined with the attitude of owning your daughter and her sexuality (though that was pretty limited and mostly earlier in the thread, and there was some slight double-standard talk but once again that was pretty limited).
I guess my counter to that is that some people can be violent and it's a very default setting for handling situations for a lot of people. Anger is usually the first knee-jerk response to certain kinds of stress. That's just the way people are. I'm just trying to be honest in saying that if I were in the situation of the OP, my initial reaction would be to break up the encounter, asap, probably using force. I understand that you seem to be very pacifist by nature, but you have to realize that not everyone is, and you can't deny that violence is as much a part of being human as breathing no matter how civilized we like to pretend to be.

Steven Soderburgin

I don't deny that, but I still find it abhorrent.

SeraRelm

...But I can see myself beating the crap out of him, easily.

If I caught my son doing it in my bed I would beat the crap out of him too, where's the double standard?
You wouldn't beat the crap out of the girl?
You still seem to be assuming it's the male who pushed for it?
:noidea:

Zonker

You expect me to hit a girl? What kind of monster are you?

Steven Soderburgin

What if you caught your son doing it in his bed?

Dave

Dave

What if your daughter is with another girl or your son is with another dude?

Or if your son is with a she-male, cockapoo and a Lebanese hooker?

Kitty Sinatra

Or if your son is with a she-male, cockapoo and a Lebanese hooker?
You just described my last Saturday night.

Minus the cockapoo (I don't do anal)

And it was the she-male who was Lebanase

The hooker was Ukrainian

Zonker

Anyway I don't think it's a "he pushed for it" thing, it's more a "the beatings will continue until moral improves" thing. I didn't say it would be a rational reaction.

Morgoth

I don't deny that, but I still find it abhorrent.
(queue in Elle Fitzgerald)

Birds do it, bees do it
Even educated fleas do it
Let's do it, let's crush our enemies; see them driven before us, and here the lamentation of their women.
Let's kick some ass!

SeraRelm

"Teens are having sex."
"Kill the male!"

Why am I (insert stereotype joke here) the one pointing out how flawed this is?

Morgoth

"Teens are having sex."
"Kill the male!"

Because it's not nice to hit girls. DUH!

Kitty Sinatra

"Teens are having sex."
"Kill the male!"

Why am I, Glorious Soviet woman unaccustomed to American pig-dog freedom, the one pointing out how flawed this is?
As you wish.

SeraRelm

Grue, go troll someone else.

Steven Soderburgin

(queue in Elle
Ella
Fitzgerald)

Birds do it, bees do it
Let's do it, let's crush our enemies; see them driven before us, and here
hear
the lamentation of their women.
Let's kick some ass!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

"Teens are having sex."
"Kill the male!"

I was pointing it out, too, to be fair.

Jake

Jake

being half-gay
Just out of curiosity, is that on your mother's or father's side?

fade

fade

Really? Typo corrections? If we resort to that, we'll be here all day. Especially since 8 out of 10 times it's a genuine typographical error, and not a reflection of the poster's spelling ability.

Adam

Adammon

(queue in Elle
Ella
Fitzgerald)

Birds do it, bees do it
Let's do it, let's crush our enemies; see them driven before us, and here
hear
the lamentation of their women.
Let's kick some ass!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

"Teens are having sex."
"Kill the male!"

I was pointing it out, too, to be fair.[/QUOTE]

Remember how in the Flame Wars section I posited that you post a lot of stupid shit. And you asked me for an example.

This is a good example.

Steven Soderburgin

It was a joking response to a joking post, fuck. It's not like Morgoth was actually trying to make a point with that post.

Dave

Dave

I still sit when I pee sometimes.

Kitty Sinatra

I pee sitting down. It's cleaner.

Jake

Jake

Only sometimes? Only half-gay, then.

Adam

Adammon

That's quality reading time for me.

Steven Soderburgin

I'm going to not give Jake the benefit of the doubt and guess that he didn't realize that I said I am half-gay as a silly way to say that I'm bisexual.

Jake

Jake

I said I am half-gay as a silly way to say that I'm bisexual.
Pushing the needle a bit farther into the pink with that one.

Steven Soderburgin

I don't even know what you mean by that.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I don't even know what you mean by that.
I think he's calling you a faggot

Jake

Jake

The last thing I want is to be is bigoted or homophobic or to stereotype someone in any way. I'm just saying you talk like a homo.

Steven Soderburgin

The last thing I want is to be is bigoted or homophobic or to stereotype someone in any way. I'm just saying you talk like a homo.
Fuck you.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

I bet you would like to :p

strawman

strawman

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, he thinks that about half the forum.

-Adam

GasBandit

GasBandit

The great things about having such obvious, unrepentant, unsophisticated trolls around here is it makes me look less outrageous by comparison. The down side is I feel like somebody else is hogging all the acrimony.

Jake

Jake

Who are you calling unsophisticated?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

I bet you would like to :p[/QUOTE]

The great things about having such obvious, unrepentant, unsophisticated trolls around here is it makes me look less outrageous by comparison. The down side is I feel like somebody else is hogging all the acrimony.
what the fuck is wrong with you people

Chippy

Chippy

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

You sure, are a comedic genius. Such wit. How long did it take you to come up with that one?

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

About 3 seconds, I know, I know... I am the next George Carlin right?

I was just screwing around CDS, come on like it just begged to be said...

Gusto

Gusto

Chippy

Chippy

Hahahaha no seriously you're a douche

Steven Soderburgin

JUST HAD TO POST

no but seriously go fuck yourself

Gusto

Gusto

And this thread had such promi- OH WAIT :Leyla:

Adam

Adammon

And this thread had such promi- OH WAIT :Leyla:
Halforums' Law strikes again!

strawman

strawman

This thread needs more cowbell.

-Adam

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

what the fuck is wrong with you people
We're not good or original. ;)

Shannow

Shannow

HAI GUYZ!!!1!! WUTS HAPPENIN IN DIS THRED!!!???

fade

fade

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

what the fuck is wrong with you people[/QUOTE]

[Wonder Years VO]

And that was about the time my head exploded.

[/Wonder Years VO]

Shannow

Shannow

[Wonder Years VO]

And that was about the time my head exploded.

[/Wonder Years VO]

Jake

Jake

I humbly request that everyone scrub from their minds any and all association between my post and HomoNinja's.

I mean, really, I can make fun of any number of Kissingher's character flaws before touching on the homosexuality.

Shannow

Shannow

But really, the homo flaw is the worst one. Even God agrees with that. :cryflag:

Steven Soderburgin

I humbly request that everyone scrub from their minds any and all association between my post and HomoNinja's.

I mean, really, I can make fun of any number of Kissingher's character flaws before touching on the homosexuality.
I am seriously floored by this shit.

I guess congratulations on stepping up your trolling and finally finding a way to get under my skin.

Dave

Dave

What is the shit of fuck?

This thread is like a sine wave. The highs are high and the lows are very low. Somewhere in the middle is sanity.

Shannow

Shannow

Hi Dave.

Fun Size

Fun Size

What is the shit of fuck?
I think the only thing I will safely take from the forum today is that Dave has a fascinating way with words when he is perplexed.

phil

phil

But you didn't. You just went right to calling him a homo.

So basically there are a great number of things you can make fun of kissinger for, but fuck it, we only live once, let's go with the most bigoted one.

Steven Soderburgin

I guess congratulations on stepping up your trolling and finally finding a way to get under my skin.
I mean, it's just too bad that you had to resort to bigotry in order to do it, but way to stick with it until the end, there.

Shannow

Shannow

Gusto

Gusto

:(

:lock:

Dave

Dave

If mods don't I probably will.

What gets me is that we have gays, straights, everything. But once Kissinger feels comfortable enough to express himself he gets attacked for it? Bullshit. Fucking bullshit.