[News] Great. 500 million government loan for electric car create job in Finland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875

I have nothing against Finland personally (Love ya NR!) but our tax money to create jobs for the U.S. (that was the plan) and loan was made, but decides to produce in another country?

What do y'all think? Is it fair? should the U.S. use the money to retool and create these cars? or is it more important to be successful in this venture and the U.S. get payback (since it is a loan) with interest even if the money is spent elsewhere.

I'm kinda conflicted with this.

The long term plan was to produce a non-luxury version of the car in Delaware. But for some reason this company could not find a location with the workers to start on this $95,000 Prius.

C

Chibibar

The long term plan was to produce a non-luxury version of the car in Delaware. But for some reason this company could not find a location with the workers to start on this $95,000 Prius.
So you think the plants in the U.S. are incapable of retooling? or the worker cost too high? is it union related?

(I read 1st page for now but I realized there are 5 more pages after I unblock some scripts so gotta read the other 5 )

C

Chibibar

Ok. It seems that the 500 billion are to be spend only on the U.S. side (but right now at the staff of 100) the major production is in Finland with private investment. So I guess it isn't as bad. It seems that all design and such are done on the U.S. side and about 300 million was put into that. So I guess we'll see where this is going.

GasBandit

Staff member
You really think that 500 million is funding a paltry staff of 100? Those guys making 5 million each or something?

*it's million not billion

C

Chibibar

You really think that 500 million is funding a paltry staff of 100? Those guys making 5 million each or something?

*it's million not billion
Nope. I don't think so. That is why I wonder where they spend 300 million on Stateside so far (that is what the article stated) Technically the whole loan of 500 billion can only be spend on stateside and not in Finland.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nope. I don't think so. That is why I wonder where they spend 300 million on Stateside so far (that is what the article stated) Technically the whole loan of 500 billion can only be spend on stateside and not in Finland.
MILLION.

C

Chibibar

million billions ;) my bad. 500 millions

so I still wondering where the 300 million went so far.

Necronic

Staff member
The difference between a million and a billion is me drinking a glass of wine with your daughter and hanging out for 15 minutes or splitting a bottle of vodka and spending the night.

On topic though I am really really curious how a 100 man staff spent 300 trillion dollars.

Edit:
god damnit the other half of that went to Tesla motors. The guys that have been around for like a decade and still only make sports cars.

Why exactly is the government subsidising luxury cars at the tune of quadrillions of dollars?

C

Chibibar

lol. This is what happen when I read too many "budget" stuff online. The government debt is in the Trillions! and most government projects are spending in the BILLIONS (like defense, medicate and SS)
sorry to cause so much confusion, but I am still wondering where did 300 million go in the U.S. (that is where the money suppose to be spent) 100 people is not much (directly linked to the company) maybe the money went to subcontract research facility in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.