Export thread

Got my new toy!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

So we had a little left over from our income tax so I went out and got my first official rifle, up until now I've only owned handguns! So I went and bought a bigger safe, my new AR-15 in 5.56 a fore-grip (and combat sights), and just to give it a try to see how fun it is I bought a slide fire stock to replace the adjustable stock that came with it, when I get out to the range (this weekend probably) I'll give a holler to say how well it work.
It's a River Rock Arms AR with Troy combat sights on it and a Magpul foregrip and the ugly slidefire on the back that I hope is incredibly fun to shoot.

Dave

Dave

How much is ammo for that bad boy and how many rounds does it fire?

Shakey

Shakey

I hope you can reload your own ammo. Copper is expensive as fuck, so if you don't have a reloader invest in one soon.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OOOOoooohhhh slidefire.....

It is hard to believe that those are legal.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ammo for winchester is about 9.90 for a box of 20 and it can dump a mag of 30 in under 2 seconds
Added at: 00:12
OOOOoooohhhh slidefire.....

It is hard to believe that those are legal.
IKR!
Added at: 00:14
Here is a 100 round mag dump, Dave

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Perhaps I'm being naive, but why the hell would anyone want a weapon like that?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

For fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

More dakka.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Nice!

But seriously unless you have the money to invest in ammo you might want to start reloading. I myself in January bought my second firearm ever, a Taurus PT111 pistol. It doesn't sound like a lot, but $20 for a box of 50 rounds...well...that goes quick, especially during the break-in period of a semi automatic.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but why the hell would anyone want a weapon like that?
To give a real answer, speaking as an American from the South East US, firearm ownership/proficiency is as much a cultural thing as a hobby here. The 2nd Amendment to our constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms. This means different things to different people and causes no end of legal headache among various interest groups and whatnot. To me at least it means if I wanted a rifle like that I could own it, however living in a small house in a crowded neighborhood my 9mm pistol and 12gauge shotgun are sufficient home defense for me.

TLDR: You aren't being naive, it's just a cultural thing.

Extra: Click the spoiler box for stock photos of what I own. I'll be glad to answer any questions about them via PM as to not hijack the thread.

fade

fade

I'm an American from the southeast, and I still can't figure out the desire to own a weapon like that.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I have 3 firearms from the late 1800s early 1900s that have been passed through family

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It makes my skin crawl whenever someone refers to guns as toys. I hope it never kills anything.

Chippy

Chippy

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It makes my skin crawl whenever someone refers to guns as toys. I hope it never kills anything.

I own several guns, and a few marksman awards/trophies.

I've never fired at anything living, nor would I want to. Even in the event of a home invasion, I'd rather fire into the ground and hope they run away than fire at the invader, minus the 'you've got a gun pointed at you and it's you or him' nightmare scenario.

But I'll agree with your first point. I'd never refer to a gun as a toy. In fact, when I first learned about guns (I was around 8, though I wasn't allowed to fire one on my own until I was a teenager) I'm pretty sure the first sentence was "This is not a toy."

Covar

Covar

Civilian M-16. I'm jealous. I used to love range weekends.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Buddy of mine just got one of those for xmas from his wife. Same stock and everything. Very nice. Right now all I keep is a mossberg 12 gauge, at the moment, but I've long been toying (heh heh heh) with the idea of getting a revolver. But I don't get out to go shooting as much as I used to, and it mostly just sits in the corner in case I have another break-in.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I GET IT! HAHA!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Got me a new toy this week too....
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...-heart-vanishes-from-cathedral/?iref=obinsite
It's mostly decorative though.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

no you didn't

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

no you didn't
Oh get over yourself

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

no you didn't

Probably the most accurate:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I agree with this wholeheartedly, except I'd change thing to one.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

As an ex-serviceman I was familiar with rifles, lmg's etc, and qualified as a marksman, but there is no way that would wish to own a weapon least of all one such as that, even if it was legal here.

Covar. The M16 is not as rugged as the AK47.

Covar

Covar

Well no of course not, but who is talking about AK47s? If you want to open that can of worms up though, I liked actually being able to hit my targets with my M-16.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range...

fade

fade

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The 88 magnum. Made special. It shoots through schools.

Gared

Gared

Don't we already have enough problems with guns and schools, man? You gotta invent a gun that will shoot right through one? Nah, give me my good old-fashioned double-barrel 8 gauge. I hear that if you're in a canoe when you fire both barrels simultaneously, it'll spin the canoe around like a stick in a whirlpool.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Don't we already have enough problems with guns and schools, man? You gotta invent a gun that will shoot right through one? Nah, give me my good old-fashioned double-barrel 8 gauge. I hear that if you're in a canoe when you fire both barrels simultaneously, it'll spin the canoe around like a stick in a whirlpool.
You are right, Gared, they really should outlaw guns and bullets in school so this kind of thing never happens instead of educating children in proper firearms handling and safety rules.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

You are right, Gared, they really should outlaw guns and bullets in school so this kind of thing never happens instead of educating children in proper firearms handling and safety rules.
lol

Gared

Gared

Uhh... Ok... completely not even remotely what I was talking about, but sure, you be that guy. For the record, I'm all for gun safety and hunter safety courses, gun safes and separate ammo safes, and responsible gun ownership. I've never once had an issue with anyone with children owning guns and I've certainly never had an issue with children being taught proper gun safety procedures. I was, on the other hand, responding to GB's comment about an 88 Magnum that shoots straight through schools with an equally idiotic comment about a gun that's so powerful it would spin a canoe when fired. Dumb ass.

Edit: You know what? No, I'm not done bitching about this yet. You do realize, I hope, that in most - if not all - public schools in the K - 12 range it's already illegal to have a gun on campus, loaded or not. It doesn't fucking work. Kids still bring guns to school even though it's against the law, whether it's with the intent of shooting people, like the kid in Ohio, or whether it's because they plan on running away and want a gun for protection, like the 9 year old from Washington. Why the fuck would I advocate continuing a policy that doesn't work, instead of educating people so that at least the accidental shootings would happen far less often?

SeraRelm

The 88 magnum. Made special. It shoots through schools.
Through a tree outside...

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Uhh... Ok... completely not even remotely what I was talking about, but sure, you be that guy. For the record, I'm all for gun safety and hunter safety courses, gun safes and separate ammo safes, and responsible gun ownership. I've never once had an issue with anyone with children owning guns and I've certainly never had an issue with children being taught proper gun safety procedures. I was, on the other hand, responding to GB's comment about an 88 Magnum that shoots straight through schools with an equally idiotic comment about a gun that's so powerful it would spin a canoe when fired. Dumb ass.

Edit: You know what? No, I'm not done bitching about this yet. You do realize, I hope, that in most - if not all - public schools in the K - 12 range it's already illegal to have a gun on campus, loaded or not. It doesn't fucking work. Kids still bring guns to school even though it's against the law, whether it's with the intent of shooting people, like the kid in Ohio, or whether it's because they plan on running away and want a gun for protection, like the 9 year old from Washington. Why the fuck would I advocate continuing a policy that doesn't work, instead of educating people so that at least the accidental shootings would happen far less often?
Because I thought you were "that guy" Also, hear about the guy that got arrested and had his house searched (in Canada) because he daughter drew a picture of a gun

bhamv3

bhamv3

The only gun I've ever fired was the T65K2 assault rifle. Standard issue for the Republic of China army.

My first immediate thought at the time: Guns are louder than games, movies, online videos etc make them sound. A lot louder.

Gared

Gared

Because I thought you were "that guy" Also, hear about the guy that got arrested and had his house searched (in Canada) because he daughter drew a picture of a gun
Not to mention the woman who TSA refused to allow to board her flight because her purse had a gun pattern embossed into the leather? Yeah, I hear ya. Sorry for the dumb ass comment.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Not to mention the woman who TSA refused to allow to board her flight because her purse had a gun pattern embossed into the leather? Yeah, I hear ya. Sorry for the dumb ass comment.
Bro hug! *hug*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've never even held a gun. Though I wouldn't mind trying at a shooting range or something, just for the experience of it.

That said, I'd be more impressed if hunters were able to take down their prey with just their bare hands.

Chippy

Chippy

Did ya hear about the times some peeps went crazy and murdered a bunch of students?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I wish all the NRA's paranoid fantasies about Obama were 100% true.

fade

fade

Clay targets and an "eyes wide shut" style masked orgy?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Clay targets and an "eyes wide shut" style masked orgy?
/sigh, Just like Nick's Prom Night....

fade

fade

The problem with that is that you can only fire at the clay targets 3 times, and reloading takes about 12 hours. Maybe four times when you're a teenager.

Jay

Jay

As a Canadian, I think it's dumb as shit to be legally able to own anything more than a standard handgun.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Did ya hear about the times some peeps went crazy and murdered a bunch of students?
yes but that was July 26th 1764

Covar

Covar

As a Canadian, I think it's dumb as shit to be legally able to own anything more than a standard handgun.
Then don't, but your desire to not own a handgun should have no bearing on my desire to own one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, and when I was 12 and living with my parents, I thought you'd have to be an insane masochist to have a full time job. :smug:

Jay

Jay

How I feel when having gun control conversations with most Americans

xkTVP.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

How I feel when having gun control conversations with most Americans

How you actually look:
dumbass.jpg

Jay

Jay

LOL!

Soooooo defensive. Including the little boys who press the little icons to passive aggressive support. And you wonder why my original picture still stands tall.

Anyways, got better things than to do.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Like an idiot in a classroom of more mature people?

GasBandit

GasBandit

LOL!

Soooooo defensive. Including the little boys who press the little icons to passive aggressive support. And you wonder why my original picture still stands tall.

Anyways, got better things than to do.
Sure you do.

Anyway, I do have to actually admit that the vast majority of Americans don't understand the real point of the second amendment of the US Constitution. But that doesn't support a scared canuckistanian's gun phobia ;)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I can't say, as a Canuckistanian, that I have a gun phobia (other than the wholly rationally response to one being fired at me). I don't think I'd ever want to own one like the OP though. But that's just because everyone knows all the cool villains only use handguns.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm from Canada and I love target shooting. I've fired lots of different guns and I plan on owning a few myself when I have the disposable income for them. I don't fear guns but I also have a very healthy respect for them and strongly believe in proper training, regular practice and proper storage.

The rules on handguns here are pretty draconian so I likely won't be getting one those... just long guns and shotguns.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As someone who has never touched a gun in his life, it's something I've always considered learning for the following reasons:
  • It is far, far, far from the stupidest thing to be basically competent at
  • I've been told it's quite fun once you know how to not be an immediate danger to people around you
I'm probably never going to own one, but I'd still like to learn.
Any general suggestions from the more experienced here?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Sure you do.

Anyway, I do have to actually admit that the vast majority of Americans don't understand the real point of the second amendment of the US Constitution. But that doesn't support a scared canuckistanian's gun phobia ;)
I bet it's in the constitution to give we the people the people the power to fight the government in the event that they become corrupt and begin to oppress us, basically.

grub

grub

I can understand how shooting would be fun. I just don't have time to get my license or shoot. For now this is the only gun I have time to shoot:
wirewrap gun.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

I bet it's in the constitution to give we the people the people the power to fight the government in the event that they become corrupt and begin to oppress us, basically.

Quite so. It has jack to do with hunting, or burglars, or anything like that. It's about making the government hesitant to attempt to oppress an armed populace (or fend off invasion if things get really bad).

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hate being on Jay's side of this argument, but here we are

and the 2nd Amendment stopped being relevant sometime after we spent our first billion on killing other people and should have been repealed sometime around when we developed the atom bomb

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

"Halforums Way of Knowing You're Hilariously Wrong:

You're on the same opinion side as Charlie.
Someone get a meme picture working on that hmm?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...and they should have removed our right to free speech too... and remove the separation of church and state...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I hate being on Jay's side of this argument, but here we are

and the 2nd Amendment stopped being relevant sometime after we spent our first billion on killing other people and should have been repealed sometime around when we developed the atom bomb
Because a nuclear scorched earth campaign against your own country is a reasonable expectation? There's such thing as an oppressive government that isn't necessarily run by a supervillain who wants a self destruct button.

fade

fade

I don't have a problem with gun ownership per se, but I do have a problem with most of the dumb reasons people come up with for justifying ownership. Hell, I'd find "because it's cool" more compelling that most of the drawn out rationalization I hear.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

(or fend off invasion if things get really bad).
Aye, because according to the Constitution every male between the ages of 18 and 45 (or there abouts) is the militia of the United States

Chippy

Chippy

"i have to protect myself from the corrupt government. they will have my cheeto-stained army-surplus gear over my dead, cheeto-stained body."

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I don't have a problem with gun ownership per se, but I do have a problem with most of the dumb reasons people come up with for justifying ownership. Hell, I'd find "because it's cool" more compelling that most of the drawn out rationalization I hear.
I love to shoot, it's fun, but I do have my CHL and carry a .45 or .40 (depending on my mood) regularly in the one in a million chance I do ever get robbed and have the opportunity to defend myself or my family, because on the slight chance (because crime falling in the US) that we do get robbed I won't leave my family's well being in the hands of someone other than me or my wife.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"i have to protect myself from the corrupt government. they will have my cheeto-stained army-surplus gear over my dead, cheeto-stained body."
Actually, we've fought two wars about 110 years apart over more or less that. Which means we're rather overdue for the next one.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I bet the Libya and Syrian people were thinking the same thing when they overthrew their corrupt government.... Well the Syrians are still fighting, but I hope you get my point.

Chippy

Chippy

I bet the Libya and Syrian people were thinking the same thing when they overthrew their corrupt government....

Jay

Jay

Actually, we've fought two wars about 110 years apart over more or less that. Which means we're rather overdue for the next one.
So ugh, what about Korean, Vietnam, the Golf War and whatever the fuck's being going on in the middle east the last 10 years or so?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

So ugh, what about Korean, Vietnam, the Golf War and whatever the fuck's being going on in the middle east the last 10 years or so?
Those technically aren't wars. The last war that was declared by congress was WWII

GasBandit

GasBandit

Those were not wars between Americans and their own government. And seriously, "Golf war?"

Didn't you "have better" to do? ;)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't think gun ownership had much of anything to do with causing the Revolutionary or Civil War

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I don't think gun ownership had much of anything to do with causing the Revolutionary or Civil War
But it was the reason that The Colonies and the CSA were able to defend themselves.

Soliloquy

Guns make it easier to kill. That is both a pro and a con. They are yin and yang, intertwined like a rope, forever inseparable, both complimenting and opposing each other. To have a rational argument on the matter requires seeing the tao of gun ownership, the whole of the matter. Unfortunately, this will never happen, because as Confucius once said* "People are fucking idiots."

*and if he didn't, he should have.

This is something that not enough people hit on, I'd say.

Guns have the advantage of being the great equalizer: if you know what you're doing, it's easier to defend yourself with a gun than it is with other weapons that often give a major advantage to larger individuals. It's also easier to murder someone with a gun, though whether or not that has any effect on crime rates is pretty much a crapshoot -- there are plenty of knife-related crimes in countries where citizens don't have access to firearms, and there aren't any clear trends that link gun laws (or the repeal of said laws) with an increase or decrease in crime rates that I'm aware of.

Guns are also extremely dangerous, and if you don't know what you're doing you're more likely to end up harming yourself of someone innocent by owning a gun than you are to stop a criminal. If I remember correctly, lax gun laws have been shown to lead to an increase in gun-related injuries, though that's just common sense -- if sharp knives were outlawed, there would be a drastic decrease in knife-related injuries.

If the U.S. is invaded sometime in the future, and the U.S. military does fall, I doubt that a bunch of people with handguns and rifles would be able to take on the invading army. However, I don't doubt that invaders would have a harder time occupying Texas than they would California.

So, yeah... Tao.

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The gun law that can be enacted is not the eternal gun law

Chippy

Chippy

I bet the Libya and Syrian people were thinking the same thing when they overthrew their corrupt government.... Well the Syrians are still fighting, but I hope you get my point.
Just pointing out that you actually said this again. Because lol.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

God made man, but Samuel Colt made man equal.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Despite California having a rep as liberal utopia, the mountains are filled with a lot of crazy conservative militia fuckers. Also maybe all the Los Angeles gangs would unite against an invading force.