Got my new toy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had a little left over from our income tax so I went out and got my first official rifle, up until now I've only owned handguns! So I went and bought a bigger safe, my new AR-15 in 5.56 a fore-grip (and combat sights), and just to give it a try to see how fun it is I bought a slide fire stock to replace the adjustable stock that came with it, when I get out to the range (this weekend probably) I'll give a holler to say how well it work.
It's a River Rock Arms AR with Troy combat sights on it and a Magpul foregrip and the ugly slidefire on the back that I hope is incredibly fun to shoot.

I hope you can reload your own ammo. Copper is expensive as fuck, so if you don't have a reloader invest in one soon.

Nice!

But seriously unless you have the money to invest in ammo you might want to start reloading. I myself in January bought my second firearm ever, a Taurus PT111 pistol. It doesn't sound like a lot, but $20 for a box of 50 rounds...well...that goes quick, especially during the break-in period of a semi automatic.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but why the hell would anyone want a weapon like that?
To give a real answer, speaking as an American from the South East US, firearm ownership/proficiency is as much a cultural thing as a hobby here. The 2nd Amendment to our constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms. This means different things to different people and causes no end of legal headache among various interest groups and whatnot. To me at least it means if I wanted a rifle like that I could own it, however living in a small house in a crowded neighborhood my 9mm pistol and 12gauge shotgun are sufficient home defense for me.

TLDR: You aren't being naive, it's just a cultural thing.

Extra: Click the spoiler box for stock photos of what I own. I'll be glad to answer any questions about them via PM as to not hijack the thread.

fade

Staff member
I'm an American from the southeast, and I still can't figure out the desire to own a weapon like that.

It makes my skin crawl whenever someone refers to guns as toys. I hope it never kills anything.

I own several guns, and a few marksman awards/trophies.

I've never fired at anything living, nor would I want to. Even in the event of a home invasion, I'd rather fire into the ground and hope they run away than fire at the invader, minus the 'you've got a gun pointed at you and it's you or him' nightmare scenario.

But I'll agree with your first point. I'd never refer to a gun as a toy. In fact, when I first learned about guns (I was around 8, though I wasn't allowed to fire one on my own until I was a teenager) I'm pretty sure the first sentence was "This is not a toy."

GasBandit

Staff member
Buddy of mine just got one of those for xmas from his wife. Same stock and everything. Very nice. Right now all I keep is a mossberg 12 gauge, at the moment, but I've long been toying (heh heh heh) with the idea of getting a revolver. But I don't get out to go shooting as much as I used to, and it mostly just sits in the corner in case I have another break-in.

As an ex-serviceman I was familiar with rifles, lmg's etc, and qualified as a marksman, but there is no way that would wish to own a weapon least of all one such as that, even if it was legal here.

Covar. The M16 is not as rugged as the AK47.

Well no of course not, but who is talking about AK47s? If you want to open that can of worms up though, I liked actually being able to hit my targets with my M-16.

fade

Staff member
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side.

Don't we already have enough problems with guns and schools, man? You gotta invent a gun that will shoot right through one? Nah, give me my good old-fashioned double-barrel 8 gauge. I hear that if you're in a canoe when you fire both barrels simultaneously, it'll spin the canoe around like a stick in a whirlpool.

Don't we already have enough problems with guns and schools, man? You gotta invent a gun that will shoot right through one? Nah, give me my good old-fashioned double-barrel 8 gauge. I hear that if you're in a canoe when you fire both barrels simultaneously, it'll spin the canoe around like a stick in a whirlpool.
You are right, Gared, they really should outlaw guns and bullets in school so this kind of thing never happens instead of educating children in proper firearms handling and safety rules.

You are right, Gared, they really should outlaw guns and bullets in school so this kind of thing never happens instead of educating children in proper firearms handling and safety rules.
Uhh... Ok... completely not even remotely what I was talking about, but sure, you be that guy. For the record, I'm all for gun safety and hunter safety courses, gun safes and separate ammo safes, and responsible gun ownership. I've never once had an issue with anyone with children owning guns and I've certainly never had an issue with children being taught proper gun safety procedures. I was, on the other hand, responding to GB's comment about an 88 Magnum that shoots straight through schools with an equally idiotic comment about a gun that's so powerful it would spin a canoe when fired. Dumb ass.

Edit: You know what? No, I'm not done bitching about this yet. You do realize, I hope, that in most - if not all - public schools in the K - 12 range it's already illegal to have a gun on campus, loaded or not. It doesn't fucking work. Kids still bring guns to school even though it's against the law, whether it's with the intent of shooting people, like the kid in Ohio, or whether it's because they plan on running away and want a gun for protection, like the 9 year old from Washington. Why the fuck would I advocate continuing a policy that doesn't work, instead of educating people so that at least the accidental shootings would happen far less often?

Uhh... Ok... completely not even remotely what I was talking about, but sure, you be that guy. For the record, I'm all for gun safety and hunter safety courses, gun safes and separate ammo safes, and responsible gun ownership. I've never once had an issue with anyone with children owning guns and I've certainly never had an issue with children being taught proper gun safety procedures. I was, on the other hand, responding to GB's comment about an 88 Magnum that shoots straight through schools with an equally idiotic comment about a gun that's so powerful it would spin a canoe when fired. Dumb ass.

Edit: You know what? No, I'm not done bitching about this yet. You do realize, I hope, that in most - if not all - public schools in the K - 12 range it's already illegal to have a gun on campus, loaded or not. It doesn't fucking work. Kids still bring guns to school even though it's against the law, whether it's with the intent of shooting people, like the kid in Ohio, or whether it's because they plan on running away and want a gun for protection, like the 9 year old from Washington. Why the fuck would I advocate continuing a policy that doesn't work, instead of educating people so that at least the accidental shootings would happen far less often?
Because I thought you were "that guy" Also, hear about the guy that got arrested and had his house searched (in Canada) because he daughter drew a picture of a gun

The only gun I've ever fired was the T65K2 assault rifle. Standard issue for the Republic of China army.

My first immediate thought at the time: Guns are louder than games, movies, online videos etc make them sound. A lot louder.

Because I thought you were "that guy" Also, hear about the guy that got arrested and had his house searched (in Canada) because he daughter drew a picture of a gun
Not to mention the woman who TSA refused to allow to board her flight because her purse had a gun pattern embossed into the leather? Yeah, I hear ya. Sorry for the dumb ass comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.