Gave in and got Windows 8.1

So, I've been having serious issues with my PC for the last month or two. Doing anything, be it a download, an install, anything, brought my computer to such a crawl that it didn't even respond to ctrl alt del. I figured, it's probably the 10 year old 500 gig hard drive that I've been using since I first built my own rig. Cool, I mean, that hard drive has had a damn good run and it's literally the only piece of that original PC that I still have (even the case has been replaced). Problem is I don't have a legit Windows key anymore and I wanted to make sure I have everything in order for when they do that whole free Win 10 thing (in case I do want to upgrade).

Deciding this, I go over to my local amazing computer part store (Memory Express, seriously incredible store) and I pick up a new SSD and a big ass storage just cause, and a new copy of Windows 8.1.

You know what, it's pretty great. Boots up in like 6 seconds.

I'd almost forgotten what a fast computer feels like.

I've been running Win 8.1 for a while - if you don't have a touch screen interface and are really used to the actual Start Menu, I'd highly recommend a start menu application - I use www.classicshell.net for it - makes it the "best" of both worlds - fast times of Win 8 but the normal feel of what we've been using since they brought in the Start Menu.

Yeah, I had grabbed that. I use the start button WAY too often to want to get used to PCing without it.

Wasn't sure - it's been my go-to app with Win 8 and I recommend it to everyone. :)

Also, a place I found very useful for getting the latest versions of some software http://ninite.com - You can select a bunch of applications and then from one place always get the latest versions of them with no extra crap. Keep the installer around to keep things up to date..

Green_Lantern

Staff member
@Green_Lantern We don't hear from you nearly enough.
What up, G_L?!? How you been, man?
Any specifics of what you mean? Are you coming from 7 or XP?
*blinks* Oh, thanks, I assumed people had forgotten that I existed.

I gave my soul to tumblr and rationalist fiction, and sort of just didn't have time to post here anymore.

I am coming from Windows vista, I generally concerned with not re-learning everything and privacy... and aparently you need an account and a password to acess the damn thing? I dont want to share my account's password with people. I really hate that the apps hide the toolbar and the general new start button.

They kind of hide the option, but you don't need to attach a Microsoft account to a user, I never do.
If you don't like how the apps work, I don't either, just install programs the old way. Don't go through the app store. Just about every application has a normal desktop version.

Yes...In 8.1 they pretty much caved and gave everyone back the desktop and easily installing programs instead of apps. I don't think I've ever used an app except by mistake through some auto-launch functions (like opening a pdf in an adobe app instead of acrobat reader etc). I hate it hiding my toolbar. I have a desktop pc, I have plenty of screen real estate to have a bar on the bottom. For a game I want it hidden for immersion, for work I want it visible for easy access and switching around. This is not rocket science, MS :p

Green_Lantern

Staff member
They kind of hide the option, but you don't need to attach a Microsoft account to a user, I never do.
If you don't like how the apps work, I don't either, just install programs the old way. Don't go through the app store. Just about every application has a normal desktop version.
How do I search for this feature?

How do I search for this feature?
To remove the microsoft sign in:
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
  2. Tap or click Accounts, and then tap or click Your account.
  3. Tap or click Disconnect, and then follow the instructions.