Export thread

Gas Bandit's Surgery Recovery Comedy Extravaganza

GasBandit

GasBandit

So as to free up the random crap thread.

Anyway, starting tomorrow, here's what's on the menu for the next couple weeks.

IMG_20180117_153215.jpg

Gared

Gared

Well, on the plus-ish side it looks like most of Gerber's veggie lineup is acceptable.

Dei

Dei

You could put peanut butter in oatmeal. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1516225109,1516225069][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, on the plus-ish side it looks like most of Gerber's veggie lineup is acceptable.
Oh god. :puke:
Baby food meat and veggies are so gross.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I gotta figure out how to make extra small portions of stuff.

Y'know, without kitchencraft.

Dei

Dei

Puree a bunch of fruit/veggies and freeze it in an ice cube tray for later use.[DOUBLEPOST=1516225393,1516225344][/DOUBLEPOST]Alternatively, just google how to make meals at those restaurants that charge you $200 a plate for the tiniest portions ever.

Denbrought

Denbrought

My Kroger sells these egg-drop-soup-in-a-cup things that are pretty good, maybe try that out. Portion isn't huge either.

Ditto with miso soups. The dried packets are usually meant to make 1-cup portions.

Dei

Dei

I also think you're better off learning how to make food that keeps and reheats well than trying to make tiny portions of everything.

Denbrought

Denbrought

If you don't get bored with repetitive meals, you could use recipes and techniques from the MealPrepSunday guides, but cut down the numbers so each meal is the correct size. You might end up preparing 1.5x a meal (to split in 7) instead of the normal 7, but that'll at least be more manageable on the stove.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I gotta figure out how to make extra small portions of stuff.
Y'know, without kitchencraft.
It's not that hard.
Also, kitchencraft is a useful skill to start learning if you're a) going to be stuck at home more often than average and b) are going to have to prepare your own GasBandit-sized portions of everything from now on anyway. Restaurants aren't going to have a GasBandit section, office parties aren't going to have a GasBandit table, etc. Gonna have to fend for yourself.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Kitchen craft is hard though. Endless grinding, and you can’t grind frequently unless you’re willing to buy and throw away a lot of food.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm starting to come to that conclusion myself. I don't like it, but I guess Imma have to.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Kitchen craft is hard though. Endless grinding, and you can’t grind frequently unless you’re willing to buy and throw away a lot of food.
I'm starting to come to that conclusion myself. I don't like it, but I guess Imma have to.
Practice. Make something that "serves 4." Divide out and save your portion. Take the rest of it to work, it'll surely get eaten before it gets bad. Repeat.
Eventually you might end up bringing people over to your place to get social, where you cook for you but then fob off the extra on them and they're none the wiser. Ultimately your skills might help convince a certain someone to come visit more often and...well...

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Practice. Make something that "serves 4." Divide out and save your portion. Take the rest of it to work, it'll surely get eaten before it gets bad. Repeat.
Eventually you might end up bringing people over to your place to get social, where you cook for you but then fob off the extra on them and they're none the wiser. Ultimately your skills might help convince a certain someone to come visit more often and...well...

--Patrick
Heh, it's gonna be quite a while before anyone's coming over to Chateau d'GeeBee that I care about impressing. It needs a looooot of work.[DOUBLEPOST=1516227671,1516227508][/DOUBLEPOST]The engineer just brought his daughter into my office, her carrying a girl scout cookie order form.

I just shot him a look that said "Biiiiiiiiiiiitch... you know betta."

"Oh yeah," and they turned around and left.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It needs a looooot of work.
Again, if you're going to be stuck @ home a lot more, might as well practice some nesting behavior.
The engineer just brought his daughter into my office, her carrying a girl scout cookie order form.
That's cruel.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Again, if you're going to be stuck @ home a lot more, might as well practice some nesting behavior.

--Patrick
My husband thought that once we had a house, I might also practice that nesting behavior. :wololo:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I missed all the Random Crap posts. What's the surgery for? Are you finally getting that lobotomy I suggested to improve your IQ? *ducks!*

GasBandit

GasBandit

I missed all the Random Crap posts. What's the surgery for? Are you finally getting that lobotomy I suggested to improve your IQ? *ducks!*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

To answer your question, though, I got a Sleeve Gastrectomy, to aid in permanent weight loss.

Dave

Dave

This looks a lot like the keto diet. Well, a pureed keto diet. A good snack is actually jello cups with whipped cream. You'd be surprised how few carbs/sugars are in whipped cream.

Also, look for muscle milks. High protein, low carb. Pretty tasty, too. Too bad nobody around here stocks the cookies & creme flavor. That was my favorite.

One more thing, I just watched a report that details that it's just as important WHEN you eat as WHAT. They suggest only eating during an 8 hour window that ends at 4 pm at the LATEST.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This looks a lot like the keto diet. Well, a pureed keto diet. A good snack is actually jello cups with whipped cream. You'd be surprised how few carbs/sugars are in whipped cream.

Also, look for muscle milks. High protein, low carb. Pretty tasty, too.
Actually, because I can eat so very little of anything, I'm trying to find high calorie stuff at the moment. I mean, I've got these protein shakes that are 30g of protein and 160 calories, but they're so "fluffy" that I have to struggle just to drink half of one. It's rare that I can get just one down over the course of the whole day.

And let me tell you, trying to do stuff on 160 calories a day feels like dying.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Actually, because I can eat so very little of anything, I'm trying to find high calorie stuff at the moment. I mean, I've got these protein shakes that are 30g of protein and 160 calories, but they're so "fluffy" that I have to struggle just to drink half of one. It's rare that I can get just one down over the course of the whole day.

And let me tell you, trying to do stuff on 160 calories a day feels like dying.
Once you can have fats, rendered bacon fat is a useful (and tasty) way to add calories to dishes. You can get it by microwaving bacon that's hanging off a bowl within a bowl (or similar microwave-safe suspension-over-a-container).

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

The gifs & videos of how to make different dishes can be helpful for someone just starting to learn "kitchencraft". Also there are a lot of different kinds of protein shakes out there, both premade and powdered. Maybe you can find one that's less fluffy.[DOUBLEPOST=1516240271,1516240181][/DOUBLEPOST]
I used to love eating my kids' leftover baby food fruits.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Actually, because I can eat so very little of anything, I'm trying to find high calorie stuff at the moment.
Does it matter what kind? That is, does it matter whether the calories come from fats, proteins, carbs, etc? If so, one of your densest source of calories is going to be butter.
...though I doubt you will want to shove straight-up pats of butter into your face all day. If you're good for dairy, maybe you can drink those little creamer cups?

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Also, this green smoothie is delicious. Use skim milk instead of soymilk. If you don't have a blender, I recommend getting a Ninja. It works well. Mine is a blender with a food processor bowl. People swear by Vitamix and the other high priced/high end blenders, but our Ninja has been going strong for close to 5 years now. It's about $160 for the model I have.[DOUBLEPOST=1516241292,1516241231][/DOUBLEPOST]
...though I doubt you will want to shove straight-up pats of butter into your face all day.
--Patrick
:sohappy:

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think you'd like greek yogurt. :devil:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Does it matter what kind? That is, does it matter whether the calories come from fats, proteins, carbs, etc? If so, one of your densest source of calories is going to be butter.
...though I doubt you will want to shove straight-up pats of butter into your face all day. If you're good for dairy, maybe you can drink those little creamer cups?

--Patrick
Protein is my priority. I've got to retain as much muscle mass as possible while I literally waste away.

I think you'd like greek yogurt. :devil:
I've found it's ok, as long as it's mixed with raspberries or strawberries or something.

As I've said before, plain greek yogurt is just rancid milk pretending to be pudding. It is demon semen.

drifter

drifter

Quark is pretty good if you can find it, even plain.

Dave

Dave

Are you able to eat rat toes?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are you able to eat rat toes?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I hope you're taking progress pictures, too. Hell, share them with us on here!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unfortunately my most "before" before picture died with my old phone. I'm trying to get a copy back from the doctor because they took one at one of the seminars I had to attend as part of this.

But I did take a before picture the day of surgery, and I do plan to take progress pictures, though I may hold off on posting them a bit until I have several for maximum effect.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Protein is my priority. I've got to retain as much muscle mass as possible while I literally waste away.
So how do you prevent yourself from starving to death once you've lost all the weight you want to?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So how do you prevent yourself from starving to death once you've lost all the weight you want to?
Smaller meals more frequently. multivitamins. Foods with higher calorie content. The main issue right now is in addition to being smaller my stomach is also swollen while it recovers from surgery so passing stuff through it can be a little difficult. Once that heals up it'll be less of a chore to not starve.

PatrThom

PatrThom

He goes back under the knife, they pull the part of his stomach they removed out of the vat of formaldehyde where it’s been waiting and sew it back on and he resumes a normal, healthy lifestyle.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

He goes back under the knife, they pull the part of his stomach they removed out of the vat of formaldehyde where it’s been waiting and sew it back on and he resumes a normal, healthy lifestyle.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Woke up super dehydrated this morning, so I decided to allocate all stomach space to water instead of cracking open the peanut butter. It was a disappointment, but I'm told the main thing that gets people in my situation back in the hospital is becoming dangerously dehydrated, and I don't want that.

So the PB might have to wait for tonight.

But tomorrow is breakfast taco day at work, a ritual I have not partaken in since november. I told them to get me one with just eggs, nothing else. That'll probably last me all weekend.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

—Patrick
Actually the cannibals and zombies on staff use them and other collected bits to make Human Haggis.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I walk into the break room to grab a swig of protein shake, and sitting on the table I see the iconic white paperboard box.

Oh no. Donuts again?!

I peek in the box.

Oh thank god.

It's just fruit kolaches.

I don't like fruit kolaches.

AND ONCE AGAIN, THE DAY IS SAVED....

Dei

Dei

So I walk into the break room to grab a swig of protein shake, and sitting on the table I see the iconic white paperboard box.

Oh no. Donuts again?!

I peek in the box.

Oh thank god.

Stop looking. You didn't even need to open the box. I know that's hard to believe.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Oh no. Donuts again?!

I peek in the box.

Oh thank god.

Could you install a mini-fridge in your office and just not brave the break room for a while?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Could you install a mini-fridge in your office and just not brave the break room for a while?
Hrm, you know, for a while I was actually perusing pawn shops on my break looking for an ultra cheap minifridge for just this purpose. It kind of tailed off when I stopped going to lunch a couple months ago. Maybe I should have another look. Problem is, all the ones under 70 bucks smell funny. But I was confident I'd find a good one someday.

Also stuff in the break room, while not exactly rare, usually isn't THIS common.

I mean, donuts are usually a "once every month or two" thing.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Oh no. Donuts again?!

I peek in the box.

Oh thank god.

Stop looking. You didn't even need to open the box. I know that's hard to believe.
You should just not go to work, since they keep displaying food there.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Hrm, you know, for a while I was actually perusing pawn shops on my break looking for an ultra cheap minifridge for just this purpose. It kind of tailed off when I stopped going to lunch a couple months ago. Maybe I should have another look. Problem is, all the ones under 70 bucks smell funny. But I was confident I'd find a good one someday.
Go to Amazon, type in "mini fridge", order by low-to-high price, behold what looks like over a dozen small fridges in the $30-$70 range without worrying about the second-hand funk. Not like you need a lot of space--enough for the day's lunchbox, a shake, and a water should be plenty for your new lifestyle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Go to Amazon, type in "mini fridge", order by low-to-high price, behold what looks like over a dozen small fridges in the $30-$70 range without worrying about the second-hand funk. Not like you need a lot of space--enough for the day's lunchbox, a shake, and a water should be plenty for your new lifestyle.
Trust me, the ones under $70 have a miniscule capacity (not like that's important though, as you say), and as often as not just straight-up don't work.

Still, maybe it'sworth trying.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well you spent 15k on surgery. What's another $100 to get a nice mini fridge that will help make it not a waste of time, money, and effort?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

@GasBandit right now

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've noticed something odd ever since I've gotten home. Every time I drink some of the protein shakes I have, I am almost immediately beset by a short but violent sneezing fit. It happens at work, too. I go take a drink, put it back, walk away... ACHOO-ACHOO. Two sneezes with no break between them even for a breath... then I'm fine.

I've tried wiping off the part of the drink carton that goes under my nose, etc, no dice. It seems to be something in the shake itself that, after I drink, and I exhale through my nose, sets me off. It seems to be harmless, but annoying.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Get a Hydro Flask for your water. Then it doesn't have to stay in the fridge. Everyone has them here in HI because they really do keep your drinks cold. Aussie has a 64 oz bottle from a company called Fifty/Fifty that works really well, too. We take that one to the beach for refills.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Get a Hydro Flask for your water. Then it doesn't have to stay in the fridge. Everyone has them here in HI because they really do keep your drinks cold. Aussie has a 64 oz bottle from a company called Fifty/Fifty that works really well, too. We take that one to the beach for refills.
I have yeti mugs for the water, and the fridge has an ice dispenser (though it's usually jammed and nobody but me gives enough of a SHIT TO FUCKING UNJAM IT WHICH REQUIRES TAKING IT ALL THE FUCKING WAY APART). The protein shakes come in their own little carton things that are meant to be what you drink directly from, and it would be kinda a duplication of effort to transfer them to a flask.

Also you would be astonished at the lengths I go to not to have to wash things.

But thanks for the tip all the same!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Also you would be astonished at the lengths I go to not to have to wash things.
After the way you described your kitchen, I promise I won't.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Peanut Butter for dinner, a play in three acts.

Act 1: Afternoon
"I can't wait to get home and eat peanut butter."

Act 2: Evening
"PEANUT BUTTER FOR DINNAAAAAAR IS THE BEST EVER!"

Act 3: Quietus
"Ooog... I kinda... I don't feel so good."

Celt Z

Celt Z

Somewhere, Dei is just shaking her head.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's cool, everything's cool, I already feel better. I just needed more water, but first I needed more room for the water.

And Dei ain't got shit to say, PB is on the list :p And I only ate like 3 spoons of it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I only ate like 3 spoons of it.
If the sleeve gastrectomy reduces your total capacity to 150ml, and one tablespoon is 15ml, then that's enough room for 10 tablespoons of peanut butter, or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter and 3oz water.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

If the sleeve gastrectomy reduces your total capacity to 150ml, and one tablespoon is 15ml, then that's enough room for 10 tablespoons of peanut butter, or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter and 3oz water.

--Patrick
The inflammation during healing reduces the capacity even further. It will eventually be whatever the target size was, but for the first several weeks it'll be quite a bit smaller.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Woke up this morning feeling pretty good. Looking forward to trying eggs for breakfast! ... and having leftover eggs to last an indeterminate amount of time. Still got plenty of protein shake on backup just in case.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I want you guys to know there is nothing on this entire earth better than scrambled eggs

GasBandit's Stomach

GasBandit's Stomach

Omae wa mo shindeiru.

GasBandit

GasBandit

NANI?!

Dave

Dave

Google translate is just so helpful!

Omae wa mo shindeiru = "Grandma wa mo shindeiru."

Then I just googled it and saw the meme.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright.. I ... I think I got it tamped down.

Boy, that kinda hurt a little. I barely ate any, but there was some kind of little rebellion going on in there or something. I managed to keep it all down, and water seems to be helping. Oh man the burping.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I want you guys to know there is nothing on this entire earth better than scrambled eggs
Hunger is the best sauce.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Hunger is the best sauce.

--Patrick
But abodo honey sauce is close.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, gastric distress aside, real food is doing WONDERS for my energy level.

Dirona

Dirona

Ya, it sure is amazing how no longer (completely) starving your brain and body turn things around!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Managed to drink an entire 11oz protein shake in one sitting. That's a major milestone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Managed to drink an entire 11oz protein shake in one sitting. That's a major milestone.
Whey to go!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

THis weekend has been an interesting exercise in relearning how it feels to be hungry and full. I'm not sure I've got them nailed down exactly yet, but the good news is If I overdo it, losing my proverbial and literal lunch isn't particularly violent or straining. It's more like clearing phlegm from deep in my throat, or the way a baby spits up. So at least it's not painful, and the good news is it only voids the portion that is over the limit and the stuff in my stomach stays safely there. Still, I wouldn't want it to happen anywhere where I'm not near a bathroom.

drifter

drifter

Keep a spit cup with you. Just don't tell people what kind of spit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Keep a spit cup with you. Just don't tell people what kind of spit.
I don't want people to think I dip!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Those super high protein shakes can leave you feeling surprisingly full. I was sceptical until I relied on them for a while. I was so glad to have them though. How long do you think your diet will be this restrictive?

I’m really hoping that your recovery goes well :)

drifter

drifter

I don't want people to think I dip!
A spit towel, then. It’ll be worth it just for the confused stares.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I do believe it's called a burp cloth. Did not really expect to have a conversation where it was needed for an adult.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I do believe it's called a burp cloth. Did not really expect to have a conversation where it was needed for an adult.
Oh hey, I didn't think about that.
Gas may never belch a proper manly belch again.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Did not really expect to have a conversation where it was needed for an adult.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's too much... Ejected material for that to work.

I'll just have to be extra careful about portions when I'm not at home.

Oh hey, I didn't think about that.
Gas may never belch a proper manly belch again.

--Patrick
That is... distressing. Still, if it works out like I hope it will, I guess it will be worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1516601358,1516601289][/DOUBLEPOST]
Those super high protein shakes can leave you feeling surprisingly full. I was sceptical until I relied on them for a while. I was so glad to have them though. How long do you think your diet will be this restrictive?

I’m really hoping that your recovery goes well :)
They are filling, but low calorie. They're useful but I need something solid too.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I hope you find something soon :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

You know, I wake up, and I feel pretty good. Almost like my old self.

Then I take a shower, and it's the most exhausting thing I've ever done, and all I want to do afterwards is just lie back down and sleep.

But I gotta go to work.

Anyway, today I start taking the multivitamins. Lesse how well I tolerate them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Are they prescription multivitamins?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are they prescription multivitamins?

--Patrick
Well, not exactly. Anybody can get them, but they're specifically formulated for people who've had bariatric surgery (and thus they're a little more expensive, too).

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know that absorption of vitamins/minerals can be boosted/cut based on what they’re taken with, or even what they’re combined with, so since your opportunity is reduced, I wondered if they were formulated with this in mind OR came with instructions (take with/without food, avoid taking with iron/calcium supplements, etc).

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Somebody brought donuts again.

I resisted.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Somebody brought donuts again.
I resisted.
Your recent discomfort probably helped reinforce your aversion.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Your recent discomfort probably helped reinforce your aversion.

—Patrick
Mehhh, more like the fact that now that I'm actually getting something of substance eat, I don't turn into a wereglutton at the first sniff of food.

My previous lapse, if you recall, was coming down off of 2 weeks of literally nothing.

Though, the fact that eating stuff sometimes hurts probably did reinforce my resolve a little.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The big guessing game these days is "Why does my stomach hurt a little?

Did I eat too much?
Did I not eat recently enough?
Did I eat something that is now disagreeing with me?
Is it just gas?
Did I not drink enough water?
Did I drink too much water too fast?
Is it just regular old "healing from surgery" pain?

It's very hard to tell which, they all pretty much feel the same right now. And guessing wrong can have inconvenient consequences. If the cause is I'm actually really hungry (and can't tell, yes, that's a thing) and I misinterpret it as "I need water," well, an hour later I'll wonder why I'm about to collapse from exhaustion. If the problem is "I am too full" and I misinterpret that as "I need water," well, see sunday's post.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Doctor's appointment today for followup. He's really pleased with how things are going. He wants me to start exercising (which I've intended to, it's just my energy level has been so freaking low). Also he says as I start to be able to tolerate food more, to lower my protein shake input to 1 per day. Which kinda confuses me, given that I was easily going on 2-3 per day before surgery, but hey, he's the doctor. Next appointment in 4 more weeks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I got a fridge.

IMG_20180124_140711.jpg

Dei

Dei

That's such a cute little baby fridge!

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's such a cute little baby fridge!
I need to start buying the shorter bottles of bottled water, a full height one doesn't quite fit without going in diagonal.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OMG! you still have a CRT!

Dei

Dei

Not too surprising considering how cheap the owner is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's my workbench. Yeah. That CRT wasn't even new when I started here. It's a MAG InnoVision DJ700, circa 1998. Still works, though. Good enough for a workbench, anyway.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's my workbench. Yeah. That CRT wasn't even new when I started here. It's a MAG InnoVision DJ700, circa 1998. Still works, though. Good enough for a workbench, anyway.
My home work bench still has a monitor that came with my pc I bought in 1995. But my office is awash in flat panel monitors, hell I am running 3 monitors on my pc now. Each time we do product replacement every 4-6 years nobody turns in the old monitor.

drifter

drifter

Post it to Imgur with Netflix pulled up on your screen.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The button's on backorder.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Who doesn't? It's the only good way to do 3D content.
The button's on backorder.
I like how they just repurposed an "Easy" button, as if that would've really meant anything different.

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

People at work know that you've had the procedure right?

Couldn't they simmer down on the donuts for a bit? Rude.

GasBandit

GasBandit

People at work know that you've had the procedure right?

Couldn't they simmer down on the donuts for a bit? Rude.
You'd think, wouldn't you?

Denbrought

Denbrought

You'd think, wouldn't you?
Someone needs to commission a new Ewok picture, but as a Ghostbusters-type sign emblazoned "DON'T DONUTS // OPEN INSIDE", to hang on the breakroom's door.

Dei

Dei

Someone needs to commission a new Ewok picture, but as a Ghostbusters-type sign emblazoned "DON'T DONUTS // OPEN INSIDE", to hang on the breakroom's door.
Wouldn't that be more Walking Dead?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Wouldn't that be more Walking Dead?

An Ewok pushing out of a No Entry sign with the words in TWD-meme formatting around it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"There is no donuts, only GRUEL"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now you're just being ridiculous.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

A birthday present to yourself?

(happy birthday!)

strawman

strawman

What a lovely singing voice you must have.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm having a rough morning. For some reason I'm extremely exhausted, and even drinking protein shake is a little uncomfortable. I considered calling in sick today, but started feeling a little less bad, so here I am. I'm hoping with small amounts of water and peanut butter, I'll make it through the day... but I might have to knock off early.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I'm having a rough morning. For some reason I'm extremely exhausted, and even drinking protein shake is a little uncomfortable. I considered calling in sick today, but started feeling a little less bad, so here I am. I'm hoping with small amounts of water and peanut butter, I'll make it through the day... but I might have to knock off early.
Have you been getting enough sleep? Are you allowed caffeine? Could you try taking a nap at lunch?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Have you been getting enough sleep? Are you allowed caffeine? Could you try taking a nap at lunch?
Yes. No. Yes.

I think I didn't get enough calories last night, and this morning I'm paying for it.

What'd I have?

About 4 ounces of mixed fruit (Pineapple, peach, pear).

It was good. It was filling. It was about 70 calories and contained no protein whatsoever.

Denbrought

Denbrought

... Welp. Maybe you should keep a food journal for a little while, so you can keep an eye on your macros until you adjust? There's sites like MyFitnessPal that make it easier. That way you won't be waylaid by over/under-shooting.

GasBandit

GasBandit

... Welp. Maybe you should keep a food journal for a little while, so you can keep an eye on your macros until you adjust? There's sites like MyFitnessPal that make it easier. That way you won't be waylaid by over/under-shooting.
Yeah, I've got myfitnesspal's app on my phone. It's more difficult to use, however, when I'm no longer eating standard serving sizes. Like.... I just had some peanut butter to help me perk up, but I have no idea how much it was. Less than a serving, I think? I'm terrible at estimating ounces and stuff.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

You can buy a little scale for that. I have one that measures pretty small portions of food.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, I've got myfitnesspal's app on my phone. It's more difficult to use, however, when I'm no longer eating standard serving sizes. Like.... I just had some peanut butter to help me perk up, but I have no idea how much it was. Less than a serving, I think? I'm terrible at estimating ounces and stuff.
I was on the same boat for a long while. I use a cheap 2000gx0.1g digital scale ($8-14 on amazon usually, plus the price of whatever weights you need to calibrate it) that can do grams and ounces (and tare) to check. Now I'm comfortable (and decently accurate) with estimating foods I know, but I still weigh them if I have the time, esp. ingredients when cooking complicated meals.

For ease of use in apps like MFP, you can experiment with weighing a few of your spoonfuls (with the spoon as tare) and averaging them out, then making a custom food item that is "1 spoonful (xy grams) of <brand> PB".

GasBandit

GasBandit

Looks like I'm buying a scale.

MindDetective

MindDetective

PatrThom

PatrThom

(Image not to scale)

—Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

:rimshot:

PatrThom

PatrThom

C’mon, it’s obviously a scale model.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, I just crashed, somewhere around 4:00 I think. I just woke up with my head on my desk. I haven't been this tired since my first week back to work. And I've had 2 protein shakes, peanut butter, and even a little chicken today. Not sure what's up.

Dei

Dei

Welp, I just crashed, somewhere around 4:00 I think. I just woke up with my head on my desk. I haven't been this tired since my first week back to work. And I've had 2 protein shakes, peanut butter, and even a little chicken today. Not sure what's up.
Low blood sugar?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Low blood sugar?
I don't know how that could be, this has probably been my most calorie-rich day since the surgery.

But it's hard to brain right now.

Dei

Dei

I don't know how that could be, this has probably been my most calorie-rich day since the surgery.

But it's hard to brain right now.
Try to have some fruit for your next meal and see if you feel better. Can you have fruit juice instead of water?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Try to have some fruit for your next meal and see if you feel better. Can you have fruit juice instead of water?
I think that is how I got into this mess in the first place.

I think I didn't get enough calories last night, and this morning I'm paying for it.

What'd I have?

About 4 ounces of mixed fruit (Pineapple, peach, pear).

It was good. It was filling. It was about 70 calories and contained no protein whatsoever.
But yeah, I can have fruit juice, in addition to water.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Healing up after surgery is probably just as metabolism-intensive as healing up after a workout.
You probably just need food and sleep. Try not to do either while behind the wheel.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I think that is how I got into this mess in the first place.

But yeah, I can have fruit juice, in addition to water.
Replacing one meal with fruit should not completely wipe you out unless you were dramatically under caloried. Because of the water content in fruit I wonder if you could replace one of your water times with fruit if you are eating fruit twice in one day.

I would also recommend asking your doctor/dietician for a specific eating schedule if you find yourself struggling, and also let them know that you are struggling to see if it's normal.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Could you be low on electrolytes or just salt? You've mentioned a multivitamin, but you could still be running low on sodium/potassium/magnesium/etc due to how little food you get. There's the little packets of them you can buy at pharmacies, or something pre-mixed like Powerade Zero.

+1 on talking with your doctors if possible, or going to a walk-in clinic to check your vitals if this continues.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Could you be low on electrolytes or just salt? You've mentioned a multivitamin, but you could still be running low on sodium/potassium/magnesium/etc due to how little food you get. There's the little packets of them you can buy at pharmacies, or something pre-mixed like Powerade Zero.

+1 on talking with your doctors if possible, or going to a walk-in clinic to check your vitals if this continues.
With all the peanut butter I'm eating, I doubt it's low sodium.

As for the rest, I'm getting 400mg of magnesium a day, but curiously, only 99mg of potassium, now that I look at the label.

Explains some of the cramps I've been experiencing in my legs recently.

Anyway I'm feeling better today. And it's friday! That means breakfast burrito day at work! Eggs! Woo!

Denbrought

Denbrought

As for the rest, I'm getting 400mg of magnesium a day, but curiously, only 99mg of potassium, now that I look at the label.
Haha yeeeaaaah, there's either a law, an industry regulation, or a standard where 100+mg is supposed to be prescription-only in supplements due to the overdose risk (it's slightly more lethal than table salt by weight when ingested).

I would recommend picking up a tub of either Morton Lite Salt (50/50 table salt/potassium salt) or any brand of K-Salt (potassium salt). I like Morton's because I can't taste the potassium when mixed into food. The average American diet (and mine doubly so due to keto woes) seems pretty potassium-deficient, I don't think I've had a cramp since switching to it, and it's been years.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Haha yeeeaaaah, there's either a law, an industry regulation, or a standard where 100+mg is supposed to be prescription-only in supplements due to the overdose risk (it's slightly more lethal than table salt by weight when ingested).

I would recommend picking up a tub of either Morton Lite Salt (50/50 table salt/potassium salt) or any brand of K-Salt (potassium salt). I like Morton's because I can't taste the potassium when mixed into food. The average American diet (and mine doubly so due to keto woes) seems pretty potassium-deficient, I don't think I've had a cramp since switching to it, and it's been years.
Or I could start eating bananas.

Well, half a banana, probably.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Or I could start eating bananas.

Well, half a banana, probably.
To meet the U.S. RDA for potassium from bananas alone you'd need to eat about 10 a day. Or you could figure out how much potassium is in your current diet, and supplement with salt :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

To meet the U.S. RDA for potassium from bananas alone you'd need to eat about 10 a day. Or you could figure out how much potassium is in your current diet, and supplement with salt :)
That's odd, I thought one banana had like 400mg of potassium.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yeah, but see the link. Every population study I've seen shows that nearly everyone in the U.S. is not getting enough.

bolded relevant parts said:
On the basis of available data, an Adequate Intake (AI) for potassium is set at 4.7 g (120 mmol)/day for all adults. This level of dietary intake (i.e., from foods) should maintain lower blood pressure levels, reduce the adverse effects of sodium chloride intake on blood pressure, reduce the risk of recurrent kidney stones, and possibly decrease bone loss. Because of insufficient data from dose-response trials demonstrating these effects, an Estimated Average Requirement (EAR) could not be established, and thus a Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) could not be derived.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh man, I love scrambled eggs. SO much.

GasBandit's Stomach

GasBandit's Stomach

MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDADA!

GasBandit

GasBandit

:cry:

strawman

strawman

Yep - 422mg for a medium size banana.

The RDA is 4.7g.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oranges and watermelon are also good sources of potassium.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oog. You know, these days, yogurt seems to make me burp more than the fizziest soda ever did.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, now that I'm getting my energy back to some degree, I also note I've switched from losing a pound a day to a pound every 3 or 4 days. DAS IST NICHT AUSGESEICHNET! I mean, it's to be expected I'd put back on some water weight, but this has been the trend for at least a week, and that's too long. Time to switch gears again. In addition to starting to try to exercise again (grumble), and back off the food some and go back to shakes and (ugh) yogurt. With my tiny, confused stomach, hopefully the 500 calorie diet won't take as much willpower to stick to as it used to. I'd like to get back to losing 5ish pounds a week.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Has one of your doctors given you an exercise plan? If not, what do you plan on doing?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Has one of your doctors given you an exercise plan? If not, what do you plan on doing?
I've got 2 years of access to the hospital's rehab center with the treadmills and pool and machines and whatnot that I intend to take full advantage of, but first thing's first, I need to build stamina so that I can do more than walk 30 yards. So, I'm going to start small with walking, and as soon as I can make it around the block, I'm going to see what trouble I can get into over at the rehab center.

strawman

strawman

I'd like to get back to losing 5ish pounds a week.
I'm sure you've already done the calculation, but for my own amusement here's my understanding and hopefully you can correct me where I'm wrong, and I'll assume myself 'cause I don't know some things about you:

Humans need to burn about 3,600 calories to lose a pound.
A sedentary male (ie, no active exercise program, spends majority of day sitting or lying) above 30 years old burns about 2,300 calories a day.

So if I eat nothing all week, I'll burn 2,300 just by existing, weekly burning 16,100, which is 4.47lb.

Now this doesn't actually work because your body does strange things when you have such a huge deficit, but so far as I know you can't lose 5lb a week without an extensive exercise program no matter what changes you make to your diet - except in the very early diet stages while your body is still running as though it has access to nearly limitless calories and burning more than 2,300 daily.

Every fast loss diet program only works for a few weeks.

Your 500 calorie diet, without much change in exercise, leads to about a 3.5lb week loss, which is only a little more than what you've found you're getting (2lb/week).

So while the early weight loss you experienced was nice, and you'd like to keep it up, I think you're much better off spending time on the diet you're going to have to maintain for the rest of your life. Your body will lose the weight slowly and you'll achieve a weight stasis that matches your intake and exercise level.

I've got 2 years of access to the hospital's rehab center with the treadmills and pool and machines and whatnot that I intend to take full advantage of, but first thing's first, I need to build stamina so that I can do more than walk 30 yards. So, I'm going to start small with walking, and as soon as I can make it around the block, I'm going to see what trouble I can get into over at the rehab center.
I'd advise you to go regardless of your stamina. Make it a priority, and a habit. Take full advantage of it starting now, because every day you're not using it is money down the drain, and because the little roadblock you've placed before you get there may lead to other excuses not to go down the road - moving the goalposts. Perhaps you've already moved them from "wait until the doctor says I can take a shower/get in water".

Don't let that happen. Even if it's just going, walking into the center, sitting for 30 minutes, then walking back out, make it important enough in your schedule that it becomes a habit - preferably a daily one. Turn on youtube or your favorite show, set the treadmill to a creeping slow walk, hold onto the bars and see if you can distract yourself enough to go beyond those 30 yards today.

You'll recover more quickly if you use the resources provided as soon as possible for as long as possible than if you wait.

Dei

Dei

Plus, there will be people at the rehab center who can help you out with seeing setting up a slow exercise regimen I'm sure.

Also, were you told you should be losing 5 pounds a week once you get settled from surgery, or are you just impatient?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm sure you've already done the calculation, but for my own amusement here's my understanding and hopefully you can correct me where I'm wrong, and I'll assume myself 'cause I don't know some things about you:

Humans need to burn about 3,600 calories to lose a pound.
A sedentary male (ie, no active exercise program, spends majority of day sitting or lying) above 30 years old burns about 2,300 calories a day.

So if I eat nothing all week, I'll burn 2,300 just by existing, weekly burning 16,100, which is 4.47lb.

Now this doesn't actually work because your body does strange things when you have such a huge deficit, but so far as I know you can't lose 5lb a week without an extensive exercise program no matter what changes you make to your diet - except in the very early diet stages while your body is still running as though it has access to nearly limitless calories and burning more than 2,300 daily.

Every fast loss diet program only works for a few weeks.

Your 500 calorie diet, without much change in exercise, leads to about a 3.5lb week loss, which is only a little more than what you've found you're getting (2lb/week).

So while the early weight loss you experienced was nice, and you'd like to keep it up, I think you're much better off spending time on the diet you're going to have to maintain for the rest of your life. Your body will lose the weight slowly and you'll achieve a weight stasis that matches your intake and exercise level.

I'd advise you to go regardless of your stamina. Make it a priority, and a habit. Take full advantage of it starting now, because every day you're not using it is money down the drain, and because the little roadblock you've placed before you get there may lead to other excuses not to go down the road - moving the goalposts. Perhaps you've already moved them from "wait until the doctor says I can take a shower/get in water".

Don't let that happen. Even if it's just going, walking into the center, sitting for 30 minutes, then walking back out, make it important enough in your schedule that it becomes a habit - preferably a daily one. Turn on youtube or your favorite show, set the treadmill to a creeping slow walk, hold onto the bars and see if you can distract yourself enough to go beyond those 30 yards today.

You'll recover more quickly if you use the resources provided as soon as possible for as long as possible than if you wait.

I hear ya bro, thing is, today was the first day I was able to take a shower without needing a 30 minute recovery/rest period after (and I have yet to be able to complete a shower without sitting down to rest partway through). So, yeah, exercise is on the list, but I'd prefer not to collapse away from home, nam'sayin? I mean, just last thursday I still needed a nap at work, and all that is is sitting down.[DOUBLEPOST=1517340934,1517340788][/DOUBLEPOST]
Plus, there will be people at the rehab center who can help you out with seeing setting up a slow exercise regimen I'm sure.

Also, were you told you should be losing 5 pounds a week once you get settled from surgery, or are you just impatient?
That's how much I was losing during my last major weight loss regimen, even without surgery. I expect it to slow down to 2/3 pounds a week eventually, but right now it should be more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've switched from losing a pound a day to a pound every 3 or 4 days.
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this. A “healthy” rate of weight loss for people on medically controlled diets (who have not had some form of bariatric surgery) is 2oz/day, but you are saying that 4-5oz/day isn’t fast enough? Are you TRYING to turn yourself from an Ewok into a Shar-Pei?

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this. A “healthy” rate of weight loss for people on medically controlled diets (who have not had some form of bariatric surgery) is 2oz/day, but you are saying that 4-5oz/day isn’t fast enough? Are you TRYING to turn yourself from an Ewok into a Shar-Pei?

—Patrick
Like I told Dei, I'm just going by previous experience. 10 years back or so I lost ~75 lbs on a diet (and I started off weighing a lot less) that started off losing about 5 lbs a week and ended around 3 lbs a week when I stopped. Granted, it was medically supervised, but I'm pretty sure I can come close to similar results now that I know the tricks. And yeah, the main trick is to keep it to 500 calories/day. Though, I expect there are gonna be a lot of cheat days.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thing is, you don’t want your calorie deficit to be so big and your -dy/dx so high that the safeties kick in and clamp down on your metabolism. If you keep it slow and steady, you can boil your own subconscious frog and not lose the benefits of having a “normal” metabolism.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

and not loose the benefits of having a “normal” metabolism.

—Patrick
I kinda think that ship sailed 5 years ago at least.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I kinda think that ship sailed 5 years ago at least.
1) I meant “lose” not “loose”
2) Sailed, maybe, but not sunk.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I absolutely cannot be trusted with peanut butter.

Emrys

Emrys

What are you doing to that poor, innocent peanut butter?

GasBandit

GasBandit

What are you doing to that poor, innocent peanut butter?
You ask such loaded questions.

The answer is rather mundane, though - exactly what my doctor and dietician told me not to do. IE - "grazing." I had it at work because I needed something for quick energy. But in the last 3 days, I've polished off half the jar thanks to just getting a tiny bit whenever I started to feel the least bit off. I'm explicitly not supposed to "graze" and that's exactly what that is.

The jar is supposed to have 14 servings. So that means 7 or so over the last 3 days, which means about 400 calories a day give or take.

So, I went to the store tonight and got things to eat as meals instead of unmeasurable "a knifetip here and there" stuff. The portions are all so small it looks like I am shopping for a child, but 7 oz is pretty much my limit. I will put the peanut butter off limits starting tomorrow.

PatrThom

PatrThom

10 years back or so I lost ~75 lbs on a diet (and I started off weighing a lot less) that started off losing about 5 lbs a week and ended around 3 lbs a week when I stopped. Granted, it was medically supervised, but I'm pretty sure I can come close to similar results now that I know the tricks.
impatientnoweighting.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Remember when I used to be able to eat a pound of carrots no problem?

2 ounces now does the trick.

(Oh yeah, the scale came in yesterday btw)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Blugh.. also it is enough to cause really unpleasant nausea.

GasBandit's Stomach

GasBandit's Stomach

STOP FEEDING ME CARROTS, WTF, ARE YOU RETARDED?

blotsfan

blotsfan

I didn't know his stomach knew English.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I didn't know his stomach knew English.
Vitriol is the universal language.

mikerc

mikerc

Like I told Dei, I'm just going by previous experience. 10 years back or so I lost ~75 lbs on a diet (and I started off weighing a lot less) that started off losing about 5 lbs a week and ended around 3 lbs a week when I stopped. Granted, it was medically supervised, but I'm pretty sure I can come close to similar results now that I know the tricks. And yeah, the main trick is to keep it to 500 calories/day. Though, I expect there are gonna be a lot of cheat days.
Dude, I'm only a few months younger than you & I put weight on easier and find it harder to shift compared to just 5 years ago despite not changing my normal diet / levels of excercise. Expecting your body to act the same in your late 30's compared to your late 20's is dumb. Take the slower but steady weight loss that you can keep over the quick but goes straight back on option.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Take the slower but steady weight loss that you can keep over the quick but goes straight back on option.
Hey, Gas.

If you don't want to believe us, ask the dietician. Let us know what kind of answer you get.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

On the one hand, you both make rational, common sense assertions.

On the other, however, I'm impatient.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If you want quicker weight loss, a chainsaw might do the trick.

strawman

strawman

Cancer and significant 3rd degree body burns will also result in significant, quick weight loss.

PatrThom

PatrThom

As will tapeworms, malaria, and abject poverty.
There are side effects, though.
On the one hand, you both make rational, common sense assertions.
Also, it's five or six of us, now.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

As will tapeworms, malaria, and abject poverty.
There are side effects, though.

Also, it's five or six of us, now.

--Patrick
But if he keeps starving himself, he'll never get his energy levels back up, then he'll have the joy of muscle atrophy as he keeps coming up with excuses to not use the gym.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But if he keeps starving himself, he'll never get his energy levels back up, then he'll have the joy of muscle atrophy as he keeps coming up with excuses to not use the gym.
Look, there's a difference between "starving myself" and "deciding not to compulsively eat 1/4 jar of peanut butter over the course of a day."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Look, there's a difference between "starving myself" and "deciding not to compulsively eat 1/4 jar of peanut butter over the course of a day."
How do you even do that with such a tiny stomach?

I mean, I'm actually impressed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How do you even do that with such a tiny stomach?

I mean, I'm actually impressed.
One small marble-sized bit at a time, every 15 mins or so, over the course of 8 hours.

The upside was, though, it really boosted my water intake, and got me the closest I've been to a healthy hydration level since the surgery.[DOUBLEPOST=1517440496,1517440327][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, I'm happy to say I have had absolutely no peanut butter today, I feel absolutely fine, and my current calorie count is 383 (I plan to have another 200-300 for dinner).

PatrThom

PatrThom

...On the other, however, I'm impatient.
Yes, so impatient that you're apparently willing to shorten your own lifespan.
That sort of impatience...is harmful.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I absolutely cannot be trusted with peanut butter.
MR. Peanutbutter?

GasBandit's Stomach

GasBandit's Stomach

Ha ha ha ha, guess which colossal idiot had to make a mad dash for the bathroom because he thought he could handle breakfast like a normal person? Better luck next time, little baby burpy!

Haven't you figured out you're MY bitch now? After all these years of putting up with all the horrible stuff you sent my way, I'm going to enjoy making you miserable. You worthless sack of shit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

*whimper*

blotsfan

blotsfan

Huh, for some reason I assumed the "gasbandit's stomach" account wasn't actually gasbandit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huh, for some reason I assumed the "gasbandit's stomach" account wasn't actually gasbandit.
I'm starting to think it's the GasBandity-est part of GasBandit.

Dave

Dave

I had as well. I thought it was someone fucking with him.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope, it was me humorously portraying my discomfort.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I did until the second or third appearance.
I was disappointed because I thought, “That shoulda been me!”

—Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I got it at omae wa mou shindeiru.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I got it at omae wa mou shindeiru.
That was when I started suspecting.

--Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I'm watching some kind of weird psychodrama session play out in an online forum. Did I drop LSD at some point?

Emrys

Emrys

I'm watching some kind of weird psychodrama session play out in an online forum. Did I drop LSD at some point?
Please allow me to refer you to the last line in my signature.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Went to a super bowl party yesterday.

I tried a pig in a blanket. It was good!

I tried some doritos. They were good!

I tried some fancy buffalo chicken dip. It was good!

I tried a single pizza roll.

GasBandit's Stomach

GasBandit's Stomach

I tried a single pizza roll.
And then everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, a lot of stuff got lost in the 3 month wipe... I'll repost the progress pictures later, maybe when I hit the next milestone. At any rate, I had a week where I got stuck and didn't lose anything. I blame beef jerky and triscuits, which are both doctor and dietician approved, but apparently also both make me soak up water like a dry sponge. Once I figured that out, and quit eatin' it, it started to jostle loose again and I'm back on track. After a week of stalling out, I've lost 2 more pounds in 3 days.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thanks for reminding me about this thread.
Which is harder to get used to? The new diet? Or the new quantities?

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thanks for reminding me about this thread.
Which is harder to get used to? The new diet? Or the new quantities?

—Patrick
I've pretty much settled into a routine, but every so often I still get tripped up by the quantities and only realize too late that I've eaten too much. The triscuits in particular are really bad for that.

The REAL thing that is hard to get used to is having to drink water non-stop if I don't want my colon shredded out by trying to crap asphalt chunks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The triscuits in particular are really bad for that.
I got news for you, the caraway rye Triscuits will do that to anyone.
“Mmm, these are delicious. Wait, why am I feeling the bottom of the box already? This box was full just 30 minutes ago...”

“Oh...”

**OMINOUS RUMBLING**

“Oh no...”

—Patrick

Gared

Gared

Stay away from the brown rice version. I really wanted them to be good, since they're higher in fiber and lower in carbs, but they just aren't.

Frank

Frank

Hey, I hadn't posted in here because I don't usually look at this forum, but I just wanted to say that congratulations to you on this journey. My cousin has been going through the same stuff. He started at 600 pounds in the last two years and is down to 350 now. Anyone that jostles folk for getting bariatric surgery can fuck right off, it's such a life changing, difficult decision and path.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Stay away from the brown rice version. I really wanted them to be good, since they're higher in fiber and lower in carbs, but they just aren't.
The fig & honey-flavored ones are ... interesting. Not good, not bad, just unusual.

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

The fig & honey-flavored ones are ... interesting. Not good, not bad, just unusual.

--Patrick
Yeah, if I discovered I had celiac disease and switched from regular Triscuits to those, I'd be very, very disappointed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So my brother surprised me by coming through town today. He wanted some BBQ, so I took him to my favorite BBQ joint here, C&J's.

I'd forgotten that I hadn't actually tried anything there since my surgery. But I selected a few things I thought I might safely eat.

Thought I was gonna die.

There is literally nothing served there that I can keep down. Everything I tried sent me to the bathroom to eject it back up almost immediately. I just... can't... handle... any amount of grease any more. Even the Mac & Cheese was too much! Even the mashed potatoes!

And I used to love C&J's :(

But I can tell he's definitely my brother. He introduced me to his girlfriend, Jezebel. Yes, that's her name. And yes, she's got long, bright, red-orange hair.

drifter

drifter

From what I understand the secret to a good restaurant is generally a shitload of butter.

PatrThom

PatrThom

From what I understand the secret to a good restaurant is generally a shitload of butter.
I've heard that somewhere.

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

Butter and salt. Are your burgers a little bland, chicken a little lackluster, roast a little dry, or potatoes a little pale? Just add butter and salt. Or, salted butter. Ever have chicken in a restaurant and it came with a wonderful "pan sauce" that wasn't quite a gravy, but wasn't just chicken ju either? It was almost certainly the juices of the chicken, white wine, salt, pepper, whatever herbs they seasoned the chicken with, simmered until reduced 2/3, then the heat is dropped to low and a stick of butter is cut into it, one tablespoon at a time, until the sauce thickens slightly and takes on a lovely satiny appearance. Butter.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It was almost certainly the juices of the chicken, white wine, salt, pepper, whatever herbs they seasoned the chicken with, simmered until reduced 2/3, then the heat is dropped to low and a stick of butter is cut into it, one tablespoon at a time, until the sauce thickens slightly and takes on a lovely satiny appearance. Butter.
That's almost exactly the recipe for buerre blanc. Swap out the chicken juices for shallots. Incidentally, it's my wife's favorite sauce. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Me, this morning - "Oh man.. I've actually GAINED three pounds over the course of this week! That's not good! Hrmm... I seem to recall I haven't actually.. uh.. gone number two this week, either. At all. Maybe I better do something about that.

Colace Stool Softener - "I can take care of that."

My Stomach - What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in ...

Me -

.... so... yeah, it's... uh... been a day.

PatrThom

PatrThom

it's... uh... been a day.
...a spectacularly shitty day, I'll bet.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Are you still doing exercises at the rehab center?

GasBandit

GasBandit

When the shit hit the fan at work, I stopped going. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things now. At least my interruption hasn't seemed to have too much of an adverse effect on my weight loss progress. I expect my next batch of progress pics within the next couple weeks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, Gas. Don't end up like this guy:

Explosive poop-packed “megacolon” prompts warning from doctors
Doctors are urging caution after a 24-year-old UK man underwent emergency surgery when they discovered that his severely enlarged colon, filled with feces, had burst.
:eek::eek::Leyla::Leyla::Leyla:

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've hit my next milestone, but I notice my previous batch of progress pics was eaten by the Dave-ening of 2018, so here we go again from the top.

When Pauline died in 2013, I started putting on weight like crazy (really, I started before that, when her health started getting bad). Stress eating graduated into depression, and I was on the heavy side to begin with, and by August 2017, I had gone from ~270 pounds to 435 pounds. That's me, on the right.

Aug 2017.jpg

I November of that year, I went on a crash diet to prepare for the Gastric Sleeve surgery, and lost 25 pounds, then had the surgery in Jan 2018.

April 2018, I weighed 350.

Apr 2018.jpg

5 more months have passed, and 50 more pounds have come off. Here's me, today (September, 2018), weighing 300.

Sep 2018.jpg

Over 100 gone, and here's looking forward to the next 100 to go.

And yes, I know... I need more/smaller clothes :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and I forgot - my MyFitnessPal weight chart -

sep 2018 chart.png

Denbrought

Denbrought

Maybe keep some of your bigger clothes so you can do these someday :p

blotsfan

blotsfan

And yes, I know... I need more/smaller clothes :p
Hang onto at least one outfit though. I know whenever I feel like I fucked up after eating too much or something I put on a the one pair of my old pants that I still have and it makes me feel so much better.

Edit: highly specific ninja by @Denbrought

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hang onto at least one outfit though. I know whenever I feel like I fucked up after eating too much or something I put on a the one pair of my old pants that I still have and it makes me feel so much better.

Edit: highly specific ninja by @Denbrought
I haven't adjusted my seat or steering wheel since starting this, and where it used to be digging into my stomach, now I can easily fit a balled up fist between the wheel and myself now, longest-dimension, with no pressure whatsoever. #feelsgoodman

Dei

Dei

I don't think you need to buy a bunch of new clothes yet, but maybe try to keep one shirt that fits well in case you have to pretend to care.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Those shoes look really comfy.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Those shoes look really comfy.

—Patrick
They're the best I've ever owned, I love them. And you can only buy them in Canada (at Mark's), so I have to paypal a Canadian halforumite to go buy them for me and ship them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They're the best I've ever owned, I love them. And you can only buy them in Canada (at Mark's), so I have to paypal a Canadian halforumite to go buy them for me and ship them.
Oh, I remember. :)

—Patrick

Frank

Frank

Man, Mark's does have some really comfy shoes. I always get my shoes there.

They're also one of the only stores that carry 14s.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still partial to SAS and Finns, myself.
SO hard to find anything with a wide enough toe box that isn’t either a Birk or a sandal.

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Today was my 1 year follow-up visit to the doctor. I've lost 150 pounds over the year. My blood pressure is now 125/47 (that second number seems kinda low to me but the doc said it isn't anything to worry about unless I start showing symptoms of something). The holiday season brought my weight loss to a standstill, but hey, at least it didn't go back up.

So, time to get back on the horse and hit the gym and get back on the diet wagon after a month of carbs and sweets. I got a suit in my closet from college that I'd like to fit back into by this time next year, and I weighed about 220 back then. So! Round 2, fight!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

That’s fantastic!!

I also have super low blood pressure and they don’t want to treat me either unless they have to. My only advice from my family doctor ? Eat more salt. So weird.

Keep an eye on it though, especially if you start having issues when you stand.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My only advice from my family doctor ? Eat more salt. So weird.
Salt is required for good health. Maybe he just thinks you aren't retaining enough fluids. Might be all the caffeine you drink is acting as a diuretic.

As for @GasBandit and his jerky treatment, only lead I noticed is that excessive mustard can cause "...lacrimation, hyperalgesia, inflammation, and neuroexcitation." So... watery eyes, increased sensitivity to pain, swelling/flush, and symptoms associated with panic attack. I couldn't find anything online that definitively drew a line between "spices" and "Bohemian spices" except for the prevalence of (brown) mustard and savory but what's gonna happen if your stick test says you can't eat Coney Dogs? (not that you can eat an entire one any more).

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

As for @GasBandit and his jerky treatment, only lead I noticed is that excessive mustard can cause "...lacrimation, hyperalgesia, inflammation, and neuroexcitation." So... watery eyes, increased sensitivity to pain, swelling/flush, and symptoms associated with panic attack. I couldn't find anything online that definitively drew a line between "spices" and "Bohemian spices" except for the prevalence of (brown) mustard and savory but what's gonna happen if your stick test says you can't eat Coney Dogs? (not that you can eat an entire one any more).
I ate a lot of regular beef jerky last night and was just fine (Dad had gotten me two packs, one regular one "Bohemian Garlic").... so I'm guessing it's whatever was bohemian. I'll just deal with it when I learn what it is I'm allergic to. I mean, I'm already learning to live without bacon, sausage, and barbecue because the grease makes me vomit within minutes.... so I guess coneys wouldn't be the straw that broke any camels.

If it had been ALL beef jerky though... that might have been cause to just buy a bunch of benadryl tablets because at SOME point LIFE DOES STOP HAVING MEANING otherwise.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If it had been ALL beef jerky though... that might have been cause to just buy a bunch of benadryl tablets because at SOME point LIFE DOES STOP HAVING MEANING otherwise.
https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/spicy-sriracha-tofu-jerky/

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

You mean invest in many Epipens :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

You mean invest in many Epipens :)
Imma wait until the doctor actually tells me I have an allergy that needs one of those, before I go dropping 5 hundos every six months on Shkreli McPunchableface.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Imma wait until the doctor actually tells me I have an allergy that needs one of those, before I go dropping 5 hundos every six months on Shkreli McPunchableface.
Shkreli was a (despicable) hedge fund guy. You're thinking of Mylan CEO Heather Bresch.
I mean, not that you wouldn't punch both of them, given the opportunity.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shkreli was a (despicable) hedge fund guy. You're thinking of Mylan CEO Heather Bresch.
I mean, not that you wouldn't punch both of them, given the opportunity.

--Patrick
Yeah, that's the one.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, that's the one.
Daughter of Mojo Manchin, fuckwit Senator.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So it's been a while since my last update, and I still haven't hit my next milestone (in fact, eating regular food for lunch now has put 5 pounds back on me because now I'm actually eating things with salt again, even if it is just veggies), but today I finally had to bite the bullet and go shopping for new pants that fit me, since I'd only had one pair that "kinda" fit me, and I can't dress like a beach bum at work any more.

I've gone from a 60 inch waist to a 46 inch waist. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Figured I should probably follow that up with a picture of some sort... so here's 274 pounds (161 pounds gone and still losing)

IMG_20190519_100332.jpg

Dave

Dave

Okay I'll ask. You look great, but what's up with the discoloration on your legs? Birth marks or bruising?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Okay I'll ask. You look great, but what's up with the discoloration on your legs? Birth marks or bruising?
Chronic Venous Insufficiency.

Weight loss is actually helping with that, too, though... I haven't had an open ulcer since the surgery.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Figured I should probably follow that up with a picture of some sort... so here's 274 pounds (161 pounds gone and still losing)

View attachment 31299
I see tits and they're not yours. Congrats!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I see tits and they're not yours. Congrats!
Finally, we get to see the uncensored version!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Congrats. A few more pounds, and you'll have lost an entire me.

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

You've already lost a whole me!

Heck, you lost a 30 year old me 30 pounds ago. :oops:

Bubble181

Bubble181

You've already lost a whole me!

Heck, you lost a 30 year old me 30 pounds ago. :oops:
To be fair, kittens tend to weigh less than whole humans do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

To be fair, kittens tend to weigh less than whole humans do.
Even with the outrageous hat.

—Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Congrats Gas!