[Question] Gaming Rig

My joystick has 10 buttons, an extra analog d pad a throttle axis, and a hat switch. But I have no controller.

Speaking of which, what do you guys recommend for a controller? I almost bought the Windows compatible Xbox One controller today. I hear those are generally best for PC gaming. Any other suggestions?

Speaking of which, what do you guys recommend for a controller? I almost bought the Windows compatible Xbox One controller today. I hear those are generally best for PC gaming. Any other suggestions?
I use a wired 360 controller that I bought used for cheap years ago and is still going strong.

The One controller is the best for the PC, hands down. I can't even use my wireless 360 controller anymore since getting one despite it being wired.

I do wish though that more controllers had evolved from the 6 face buttons.

The ones that do always have God awful d-pads. You can't get 6 face buttons without shitty d-pads.

GasBandit

Staff member
Start browsing for comfy headsets. As you live in close proximity with your folks, you're going to need the ability to play sound at a volume you like without disturbing them, and as you get more into multiplayer, the mic will become very important.

Start browsing for comfy headsets. As you live in close proximity with your folks, you're going to need the ability to play sound at a volume you like without disturbing them, and as you get more into multiplayer, the mic will become very important.
I use these: Amazon product

Good, cheap-ish, but not cheap-sounding. Not a lot of bells & whistles, but "just works" for me. There are caveats (the volume control could be better at "silencing" stuff) but they really feel good, and considering I'm a big guy with a big head (6'7" tall), these fit comfortably too. And very adjustable, so I'm sure they'd fit smaller too.

I didn't buy them on amazon, thus can't endorse there, but it was the easy link! Canadian Amazon too if you want them.

Edit: that embed does NOT play well with adblock or something. Had to go "private browsing" with all the stuff off to see it. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
I just toggle ABP off on halforums.com and it works fine for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1418750289,1418749927][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, as for me, I don't have a headset per se, I have a separate set of headphones and a clip-on mic. I use Audio Technica headphones - I recommend the ATH-m50, though they're pricey as all hell -

Amazon product

And for the mic I use the humble Zalman ZM-MIC1. It's the mic I use not only for gaming but also for all the voice work in the videos I produce.

Amazon product

Jesus Christ canadian prices are high. That's twice the american price (which is higher than the 5 bucks I spent on em 7 years ago).

Amazon product

People say that wireless headsets are no good, and that surround sound headsets are a sham. I don't care, I love these things. I picked them up cheap(ish) during a sale a couple of years ago, and they're still going strong.

I actually have a decent headset already. Just an inexpensive Logitech. Nothing fancy. Maybe when my tax return comes in next year, I'll shell out more money for a good one.

Think I might break down and get an Xbox One controller soon. Apparently, there's a model specifically for Windows?

I actually have a decent headset already. Just an inexpensive Logitech. Nothing fancy. Maybe when my tax return comes in next year, I'll shell out more money for a good one.

Think I might break down and get an Xbox One controller soon. Apparently, there's a model specifically for Windows?
It's just the regular model that comes with a USB cable to plug it in with Windows added to the box.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's just the regular model that comes with a USB cable to plug it in with Windows added to the box.
I'm hoping they come out with a wireless adapter for Windows by the time I wear my current 360 controller out. I really like being cordless.