Games on SALE!

figmentPez

Staff member
All signs are pointing towards the winter Steam sale (possibly starting Dec 19th) being another event where achievements from Valve and indie games will earn entries in a give-away, and possibly other rewards. So far TF2, L4D2, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat and possibly others are known to have some sort of connection to a "Valve Gift Grab 2011". This wiki claims to have a list of all the known achievements, but I don't know their source.

Anyway, Steam one-day: Shogun 2 $9.99 (DLC on sale as well)
Free Weekend: Nuclear Dawn $11.99

Direct2Drive one-days:
Crysis 2 $9.95
CoD:BlOps w/ DLC $59.95

GamersGate one-day: Men of War Assault Squad $8.49

figmentPez

Staff member
All signs are pointing towards the winter Steam sale (possibly starting Dec 19th) being another event where achievements from Valve and indie games will earn entries in a give-away, and possibly other rewards. So far TF2, L4D2, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat and possibly others are known to have some sort of connection to a "Valve Gift Grab 2011". This wiki claims to have a list of all the known achievements, but I don't know their source.
Just a note, if you think you're going to earn achievements for the event, and already own some of these games, you might want to get them installed beforehand and beat the rush. I've already gotten mine downloaded and ready. Some of the achievements can already be earned, though I've held off partly from being too busy, part to make sure nothing about that messes up the system.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Steam Holiday Sale is on!
The Steam Holiday Sale is on now through Sunday, January 1, 2012. In addition to huge savings throughout the store, the 2011 sale features two special promotions that allow you to win like never before.

The Great Gift Pile challenges gamers to complete up to six objectives each day. Completion of each objective grants the chance to win a free game or discount coupons for select games available on Steam. If you don’t win, no worries, you’ll be given a piece of coal. But hold onto that coal!

Why?

Coal is the ticket to enter the Epic Holiday Giveaway. It’s called Epic because the top prize is every game on Steam. The more coal you have, the better your chance of winning. Players may alternatively choose to magically mix their coal into something shiny and new by “crafting” seven pieces into a gift from the Great Gift Pile. So this year receiving coal is a good thing.

Didn’t get what you want? Of course Steam allows you to trade coal and prizes with your friends.

Further details on these events and information on how it’s progressing may be found here.
As I understand it, this is a lot like the past sales that had achievements, only they've added in the chance to randomly get games or coupons from The Great Gift Pile; which can be traded. I'm thinking of starting a new thread for trading this stuff, so that this thread doesn't get too cluttered.

Steam one-days:
Rift $7.49
Pendulo Studios Adventure Pack $12.49 (Runaway series & The Next BIG Thing)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent $4.99
Orcs Must Die $3.74 (DLC on sale as well)
Bunch of Heroes $2.49
Singularity $7.49
Fable III $19.99
Sam & Max Complete Pack $12.49
Just Cause 2 $4.99 (DLC on sale as well)
Max Payne 1 or 2 $2.49 each
Portal $2.49
Portal 2 $7.49
Portal Bundle $8.74
Metro 2033 $4.99

Today's Steam Achievements:
Steam - Check your inventory - you've got a gift! (This one is bugged for me at the moment.)
Orcs Must Die! - Deck the Halls - Complete the Hallway using only the Arrow Wall trap, weapons, and spells
Bunch of Heroes - Holiday Survivor - Survive up to the 20th wave in Santa's map
EDGE - Snowblind - Find the six hidden switches in the snow-covered levels in December
Cargo! The Quest for Gravity - 2012 - it’s almost there - The Christmas bell tolls! You have been blessed with a present.
Anomaly: Warzone Earth - Santa's Challenge - Grab 20 Santa's gifts from missions 2-4 to get yourself a nice prize

While there's a couple that I'm leaning towards, there's one that I'd really like to get: Anno 2070. In case it slips under my radar (what with being busy with my two nieces who constantly want to hang out with Uncle Nick), could someone keep their eyes peeled for it going on sale?

figmentPez

Staff member
While there's a couple that I'm leaning towards, there's one that I'd really like to get: Anno 2070. In case it slips under my radar (what with being busy with my two nieces who constantly want to hang out with Uncle Nick), could someone keep their eyes peeled for it going on sale?
Absolutely, do you want it on Steam specifically, or shall I keep an eye out for it on other sites? What kind of discount are looking for?

figmentPez

Staff member
:(

I had no idea. I had nothing on my wish list.
Steam has been giving out free wishlist games during major sales for a couple years now, and I've made sure to mention it every time. Hopefully the giant comic will help get the message across better.

And if anyone needs ideas for filling out their wishlist, check out what your friends are hoping for. That's how I filled mine out way back when (and I keep it up to date for events like this.)

Steam has been giving out free wishlist games during major sales for a couple years now, and I've made sure to mention it every time. Hopefully the giant comic will help get the message across better.

And if anyone needs ideas for filling out their wishlist, check out what your friends are hoping for. That's how I filled mine out way back when (and I keep it up to date for events like this.)
Bless you for that ;)

figmentPez

Staff member
I managed to get through and earn my first achievement. I got:
"33% off any one title on Steam listed with Valve as the publisher.
"Excludes titles released after January 2nd, 2012.
"(Valid January 2nd, 2012 through March 1st, 2012)"

I'm more than a little puzzled at the utility of this coupon. Most, if not all, of the games it applies to are 50%-off right now. Some are likely to be an even deeper discount during a one-day, like Portal 2 is right now. So far as I can tell, this coupon is actually worse than coal, because it doesn't give a discount relative to the sale, and it doesn't give me an entry into the contest either.

figmentPez

Staff member
And it'll only let you use it once the sale is over.
Yeah, which means it doesn't have much trade value. Unless I can find someone who is planning on a purchasing a Valve game after the sale is over, but doesn't have money right now, and is too impatient to wait for summer. Yeah, I'm sure there are tons of people like that who will want to trade me their coal.
Added at: 16:25
I think I just realized what could be happening. Since coupons and coal can be traded, it's likely some are creating new Steam accounts in order to get the free achievements, claim their prizes, then transfer the goods to their main account. Yeah, this system is ripe for abuse.

So I went to my Steam profile and noticed my brother (who is awesome BTW) sent me two games for Christmas, Amnesia and Portal 2. I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT because we were only supposed to spend like 20 bucks on each other this year. Then I saw that both of those games were on sale for like 10 bucks combined and let out a sigh of relief.

Thank you Valve, for almost giving me a heart attack with your crazy, crazy savings.

Absolutely, do you want it on Steam specifically, or shall I keep an eye out for it on other sites? What kind of discount are looking for?
Steam, please. Not really sure how much of a discount. I guess any at all. I'd prefer 50-75%, but I don't expect that for such a new game.

figmentPez

Staff member
Almost forgot to mention, as usual the Steam Holiday Sale includes all sorts of publisher bundle packs. Most aren't surprising, but I don't remember seeing a Warner Bros. Complete Pack in previous sales. Like most other publisher bundles, it's a big chunk o' change, but it's got Batman Arkham City (w/ all DLC), Arkham Asylum GOTY, Lego Batman, Lego Harry Potter, Bastion soundtrack edition, all three F.E.A.R. games, LOTR War in the North and a few bits of fluff to round it out. $74.99 is a big chunk, especially if you have some of these already, but those are awesome games.

There are also 3 indie bundles at $19.99 each. The Awesome, Super and Mega bundles.

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Dangit all. And I was buying the Bunch of Heroes four pack with intentions of giving two of them to two people on here. One of which'll likey be the Pezster for his awesome work here.

I've looked on the Steam forums and it looks like we're not the only ones have the problem. So far, *fingers crossed* I haven't been charged yet.

I'm guessing there's a lot of activity that's causing the kerfuffles.