Funny (political, religious) pictures

I heard that Wiener was going to run for President in 2016, with the AG as his VP. It'll be the Wiener Holder ticket.

(credit to local radio host, Luke Burbank)

GasBandit

Staff member
Well it's not every day you get to make headlines about a guy named Wiener. They're lucky it's happened twice so close together.

Not a picture, but a really embarrassing interview from a foxnews program called Spirited Debate. Didn't think this deserved its own thread, so it's going here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/is-this-the-most-embarrassing-interview-fox-news-has-ever-do
I have to be honest, I don't really understand the widespread criticism this is getting. I mean, yeah it's an atrocious interview, but also, it's the "24-hour news cycle" which is really just reality TV masquerading as news, trying to sell you toothpaste and Febreeze and Zoloft and Hyundais.

Like, this is just what "the news" does. People call it embarrassing, but I suspect they knew exactly what they were doing. I mean, after all, we're talking about it, aren't we?

A lot of people are crying about Fox's anti-intellectual, Christian-right bias in this, but I think the interview would have been equally content-free, if for other reasons, on the other 24-hr networks. Truthfully, academic and/or historical discussion just isn't going to sell as well as a narrative, so Fox went with "Muslim writes books about Christ: Controversial? Yes." and then, everyone who agrees with them gets to be all "Muslims blew people up for cartoons about Mohammed, but they feel they can write about our Saviour?" and everyone who disagrees gets to be all, "Look at how ignorant and biased Fox is. I've always disagreed with their bias, and now I can disagree with their bias some more, which is great." And meanwhile, both groups are watching, which means maybe they're not as stupid as their detractors like to thing, since all they're really selling is their viewers to advertisers.

Let's not pretend the other other networks aren't as bad. CNN asked Trayvon Martin's friend what the difference was between "n*gger and n*gga," for a totally information-free discussion on the outcome of the Zimmerman trial, but the narrative they were selling was an open conversation about race. But no one asked, like, I don't know, why didn't you finish high school, and do you wish you had, and why do you think there is such a high rate of young black people like yourself not staying in school, and what would improve the environment to make you want to stay or go back? Nah, that might be useful dialogue about the problems faced by black people in America, and instead, it was a lot easier to just comfort everyone by reminding them, if you're not black and you say "n*gger" (or "n*gga"), you're probably an asshole.

Of course, what they really should have done, if they were human beings, is let that girl just go grieve her friend, post-verdict. But then people might watch other channels, so, that's not going to happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1375048553][/DOUBLEPOST]ANYWAY, the point is,* I like Reza Aslan and I'll probably buy his book. Maybe that interview was very awkward and frustrating for him, although I suspect he knew what kind of deal he was going to get with that organisation.

*Not actually the point.

My dad includes me in all his political shit emails he sends out, so I've seen this picture like 10 times. Why is this guy such a big deal right now?

He has made waves since getting elected for not following usual etiquette rules in Congress (being an asshole), being so far to the right that he makes many Relublicans look like hippies, and for his threats to try to shut down the government in the coming months over the Obama administration healthcare reforms. Also, he's already warming up for a 2016 presidential run.

There's a big argument about whether "Natural Born Citizen" means born in the country, or just born a citizen, since being born to an American parent still means you are a citizen at birth. So yeah, to Republicans, it only applies to people born outside the country if it is their own guy.

The Republicans have twice run candidates born on foreign soil in my lifetime. Romney (the elder) was born in Mexico to a family that denounced their citizenship. John McCain was born in Panama.

I don't know about Cruz or Romney, but McCain was born 'in Panama' but on a base that was under US control and was US soil, so I don't think anyone argues the legitimacy of American-born credential.