Funny (political, religious) pictures

As I understand, you are referring to a single instance, a particular case which, when viewed separately, may not be something that a discerning individual would consider particularly convincing.
Trump recently posted a tweet which was made up mostly of CAPS LOCK TEXT, which is almost universally regarded on the Internet as speaking in “shouting voice.”
Almost immediately, because of course this is not how a world leader is expected to behave, it became an Internet meme. In fact, if you Google the words [caps tweet], you will find that the overwhelming majority of the top search results relate to this newest example of Trump’s unprofessional behavior.
The tweet posted in this thread is just one of the many satirical responses to Trump’s tweet, except that in this one, Trump’s tweet was altered to substitute the text from one of the Internet’s most famous “angry badass” memes as a means to show how audacious Trump’s original tweet really is.
The only people who will be fooled are people who do not know about Twitter’s character limit on tweets and who have not seen any previous mention of that (presumably) fictitious diatribe which by now is literally at least 6 years old, if not older. I’m sure that such people exist, of course, and yes, those people may become incensed upon seeing this, but unless they only speak about it with other similarly uninformed people, they will quickly be set right.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I think we may be talking cross-purposes here. As I understand, you are referring to a single instance, a particular case which, when viewed separately, may not be something that a discerning individual would consider particularly convincing. Myself, I am attempting to propose a viewpoint in which a series of such instances may serve to create a truth of their own.
So, are you bothered by Saturday Night Live sketches where they have an actor pretending to be the president, too?

So, are you bothered by Saturday Night Live sketches where they have an actor pretending to be the president, too?
Maybe not a good example to use here Pez. One of the more famous Saturday Night said it, not the candidate, is the Sarah Palin "I can see Russia from my house" skit. Look at how many were willing to bet their life that she actually said that and not the real quote of "You can see Russia from parts of Alaska."

I think that is the point that TommieR is trying to get across, if a false thing keeps getting repeated then people will start believing it.

Explain the second one. What's it supposed to be/from? I always thought it was just an expression!
Yes, it's (mistakenly) attributed to the no-nonsense, matter-of-fact Detective Sergeant Friday from the radio/TV show Dragnet.
In reality, he has said things very reminiscent of the quote, but never that exact quote.
...until the 1987 pastiche remake came along, when the apocryphal line was shoehorned into the script probably due to its association with the character.

--Patrick

Yes, it's (mistakenly) attributed to the no-nonsense, matter-of-fact Detective Sergeant Friday from the radio/TV show Dragnet.
In reality, he has said things very reminiscent of the quote, but never that exact quote.
...until the 1987 pastiche remake came along, when the apocryphal line was shoehorned into the script probably due to its association with the character.

--Patrick
Practically all the quotes on this page are not from the show/movie that it is associated with.

Play it Sam, play as Time Goes By.

No, I am your father.

“Excellent!” I cried.

“Elementary,” said he.

I think it is Rich Little's fault. Every act of his had him impersonating a famous movie line. But nobody had VCRs back then. So nobody knew the line, or he changed it for copyright reasons.

I think it is Rich Little's fault. Every act of his had him impersonating a famous movie line. But nobody had VCRs back then. So nobody knew the line, or he changed it for copyright reasons.
Most of those lines are changed so that they make more sense without context. "No, I am your father" could be anyone, but by addressing Luke directly, you not only affirm which movie it is, but the character speaking it as well.

Which publication was it that was implying white people who wear khakis is a possible dog whistle for being a neo-nazi
One that understands that the uniform of the neo-nazis that try to look "respectable" is a white polo with khakis? Like, just look at the Charlottesville people.

figmentPez

Staff member
One that understands that the uniform of the neo-nazis that try to look "respectable" is a white polo with khakis? Like, just look at the Charlottesville people.
But is it really a dog whistle? Trying to look respectable is overt. What is the hidden message of wearing a polo and khakis? What are they implying with that wardrobe choice that isn't explicitly part of the image of being clean cut?

For example, "family values" is a dog whistle. On the surface valuing the family is something that many cultures do. However, in American politics it has the secondary connotation of meaning "conservative, Christian, patriarchal, sex-negative, middle America, etc." There's a lot beneath the surface that "family values" means to the Republican voting base that the term doesn't necessarily mean to everyone. That way they can try to appeal to a broader base, while still making implied promises to their very conservative core.

What is the implied message that a polo and khakis send to neo-nazis; that they understand it to mean, but that the general population does not?