Funny (political, religious) pictures

We don't know they're all protestants.
I got a $10 bill.

from the Yahoo! messages, "I wonder how the Black Cowboy Players feel about there not being any blacks in the room."

"Who do you think are bringing in the drinks and snacks?"

I feel you don't watch/read about politics very much.
I do, quite a bit. More Canadian than American, for obvious reasons, although as Trudeau noted, it's like sleeping in bed with an elephant: I happen to read quite a bit of American politics as well. I realise its dog-eat-dog, and vicious things are exchanged. People with differing beliefs paint 'the other' as a treasonous enemy; it's a bloodsport.

But that two ex-Presidents enjoy the same sport, can enjoy that together; this is not something that surprises me.

GasBandit

Staff member
I do, quite a bit. More Canadian than American, for obvious reasons, although as Trudeau noted, it's like sleeping in bed with an elephant: I happen to read quite a bit of American politics as well. I realise its dog-eat-dog, and vicious things are exchanged. People with differing beliefs paint 'the other' as a treasonous enemy; it's a bloodsport.

But that two ex-Presidents enjoy the same sport, can enjoy that together; this is not something that surprises me.
Some americans are very disgruntled about it, because it reveals the truth that a lot of them weren't quite cynical enough to believe yet - that washington politics isn't actually about ideology. It's about bread and circuses and retaining power and never really taking the kid gloves off because if you go to war against the other guy, he goes to war against you and then you're both out of a job. It underscores the fact that these politicians aren't there to make changes for us, they're there to make careers for themselves. There's a difference in being civil and polite to each other when circumstances call for former presidents to be present at an event, and deigning to be best buds on your own time, yukking it up at a ballgame. That tells the world that the convictions that caused you to stand up and call the other guy everything but a child of god were nothing but a stage play so that the hoi polloi would get out of your hair and leave you to your power-cushioned life. That it is just as scripted and phony as professional wrestling.

There's a difference in being civil and polite to each other when circumstances call for former presidents to be present at an event, and deigning to be best buds on your own time, yukking it up at a ballgame. That tells the world that the convictions that caused you to stand up and call the other guy everything but a child of god were nothing but a stage play so that the hoi polloi would get out of your hair and leave you to your power-cushioned life. That it is just as scripted and phony as professional wrestling.
I'm not clear - are you saying that this is a circumstance requiring them to be present/civil or this is them being buds on their own time?

And which one is the one that reveals conviction to be a stage play?

that washington politics isn't actually about ideology.
I find that to be a good thing. I'm a conservative, but not a partisan; I've convictions but also pragmatism. I may know that what I want isn't going to happen, but if I back out of the discussion, or refuse to continue to work with the people who are making decisions, then it's a guarantee things will never change.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or that just because you have different beliefs with someone doesn't mean that you have to hate them...
There are plenty of people I don't hate that I wouldn't ask to go to a sporting event with me. There is a higher threshold for that than "don't hate" or "can be civil to."

GasBandit

Staff member
I find that to be a good thing. I'm a conservative, but not a partisan; I've convictions but also pragmatism. I may know that what I want isn't going to happen, but if I back out of the discussion, or refuse to continue to work with the people who are making decisions, then it's a guarantee things will never change.
You have the comfy luxury of not living in a country on the brink of tearing each others throats out over irreconcilable political differences having to do with the role of government. In fact, many of our politicians are riding the cresting wave of that outrage, such as Ted Cruz. I guarantee you if a picture came to light of Cruz grinning and slapping thighs with, say, Harry Reid at a sporting event, his constituency would be calling for his head, many literally.

TLDR version: Washington politics pretends to be about ideology, when it really is about maintaining power in washington, and some people think it should be about ideology and are angry when the fact that it isn't is rubbed brazenly in their face.

You have the comfy luxury of not living in a country on the brink of tearing each others throats out over irreconcilable political differences having to do with the role of government. In fact, many of our politicians are riding the cresting wave of that outrage, such as Ted Cruz. I guarantee you if a picture came to light of Cruz grinning and slapping thighs with, say, Harry Reid at a sporting event, his constituency would be calling for his head, many literally.
Heh, I wouldn't speak so soon about the readiness of my country to tear out throats over political quarrels.

I suppose I'm seeing this from a different way than you; you view this picture in the light of 'how the people see it' and I see the picture as 'how sometimes aggressive rivals can get along.' Many people might feel betrayed, true. I guess I hope that the reality is these men can serve their parties and constituencies while still having some camaraderie.

But maybe I'm naive

Then the problem here is that people expect politicians to be bloody rivals, and not the fact that politicians can get along. The public needs to change on this issue, not the two former presidents being friendly.

"Some people", as in the broadcasters, their advertisers, and their investors. There's money to be made in perpetuating the divide, or the illusion of one. No matter how vile Rush may get, any calls for a station to drop his show will be shot down with, "but look at the ratings!" There's big bucks in political hate these days.

Then the problem here is that people expect politicians to be bloody rivals, and not the fact that politicians can get along. The public needs to change on this issue, not the two former presidents being friendly.
Yes, I think this is what I mean when I say GB and I look at that picture from two different ways. I see what he means, but I hold out hope for my end.[DOUBLEPOST=1397060371,1397060341][/DOUBLEPOST]
"Some people", as in the broadcasters, their advertisers, and their investors. There's money to be made in perpetuating the divide, or the illusion of one. No matter how vile Rush may get, any calls for a station to drop his show will be shot down with, "but look at the ratings!" There's big bucks in political hate these days.
There is a line, though. Fox got rid of Glen Beck when advertisers started backing out.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, I wouldn't speak so soon about the readiness of my country to tear out throats over political quarrels.

I suppose I'm seeing this from a different way than you; you view this picture in the light of 'how the people see it' and I see the picture as 'how sometimes aggressive rivals can get along.' Many people might feel betrayed, true. I guess I hope that the reality is these men can serve their parties and constituencies while still having some camaraderie.

But maybe I'm naive
Probably, to a degree. There's also an element of "hey, I did my thing, I'm retired and can do whatever now" in former presidents, I think. Bear in mind these are the kinds of guys that can also shake hands with Saddam Hussein one day and condemn him to the flames the next. Your plebian partisan is more constant. He can't understand why Clinton isn't sliding a knife out of his boot to finally destroy the worst evil the world has ever known, sitting to his left, and another can't understand why Bush isn't giving Clinton the Japanese Prime Minister treatment.[DOUBLEPOST=1397060450,1397060395][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is a line, though. Fox got rid of Glen Beck when advertisers started backing out.
And now Glenn Beck has his own network, which is apparently making enough money to keep him and several others paid.

Am I the only one not shocked by that picture? It doesn't surprise me at all that two ex presidents of different political parties might enjoy each other's company. Just because they had different platforms doesn't mean they share nothing in common. In fact, given that there are only a few people currently alive that have ever held the office of president, that alone is going to give them a lot of commonality.

Unless you're one of those people that believe that one party has to absolutely hate and demonize the other.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd also like to remind you guys I posted it in the FUNNY POLITICAL PICTURES THREAD, not the "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE" thread.

The truth is, once you've been to the summit, there's no more worlds to conquer. And as of right now, there are exactly three people on this earth who understand what Barack Obama is going through.

Two of them were in that photo.

GasBandit

Staff member
The truth is, once you've been to the summit, there's no more worlds to conquer. And as of right now, there are exactly three people on this earth who understand what Barack Obama is going through.

Two of them were in that photo.
Did something happen to Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush when I wasn't paying attention?