Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Oh man, the grass in Oblivion.
Turning the detail up to get all those extra blades was such a one-way ticket to lagsville.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, peasants malign the extra grass, but it makes a difference. The difference between a believable hillside and concrete painted with a "grass" pattern.

Of course, it sucks when you are on high grass settings, against somebody on low settings, so the tall grass you think you are hiding in is invisible to the other guy :p

I mean, peasants malign the extra grass, but it makes a difference. The difference between a believable hillside and concrete painted with a "grass" pattern.

Of course, it sucks when you are on high grass settings, against somebody on low settings, so the tall grass you think you are hiding in is invisible to the other guy :p
What I find even MORE annoying than the "painted concrete" are the games where grass like that is only out to a certain distance, so you have a "bubble" of good-looking grass near your character, but further out it's nothing. So it's a type of "personal rainstorm only over you" but with grass. IMO that's even worse.

(Sorry, don't have an example I can think of right now, but I know I've seen it!)

And in the context of something like a hunting game, faithful foliage could be considered an integral part of the gaming experience.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I really don't see a significant difference between left and right. No, thats not entirely true. I like right a bit better because the plants are so repetitive and bland that the texture map is more appealing to my eyes. I'm not just saying that about this. Same feeling about most of the floral mods I've tried.

GasBandit

Staff member
I really don't see a significant difference between left and right. No, thats not entirely true. I like right a bit better because the plants are so repetitive and bland that the texture map is more appealing to my eyes. I'm not just saying that about this. Same feeling about most of the floral mods I've tried.
I'm pretty sure your brain is broken.

And I don't mean that to say "you are stupid." I mean something is miswired.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think you're failing to appreciate that you're looking at a still image. In-game those grass clumps aren't just static textures, they move and sway in the wind. See this video at the 5:10 if you want the grass specifically.

Even with YouTube compression, some of these graphical differences are HUGE betweeen Normal and Ultra. Dynamic shadows, the reflections from rain... but none of that really matters since most settings on PS4/XBOne are High or Very high... Except anisotropic filtering, WTF?

From what I can find, PS4 / Xbox One only do 4x AF, and if you can't appreciate the difference between 4x AF and 16x AF, I think Gas may be right about some sort of miswiring. Because in real life floor textures don't get blurrier the further away from you they are. Just look at 7:55 in the video. Keep in mind that those are all the same texture quality, they're just filtered better, and on PC doing 16x AF has been pretty much "free" from a performance standpoint since... The days of Direct X 8. So, early two thousands?

Why are the consoles even bothering with Very High texture quality if they're wasting it by not having better Anisotropic Filtering?

GasBandit

Staff member
I can say PC Master Race without giving a shit about graphics right? >.>
Usually when I invoke PCMR, it isn't even about graphics. Usually it's about complexity, flexibility, design, etc. Consoles basically almost ruined video gaming for most of the last 15 years.

Why are the consoles even bothering with Very High texture quality if they're wasting it by not having better Anisotropic Filtering?
Because consoles graphics aren't as capable as their desktop counterparts (they're usually based on mobile or otherwise "cut-down" variants), and because console optimization practically MANDATES that you maintain 30fps or above AT ALL COSTS.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I would totally give those out to be a bastard. On the other hand, we make our kids go to the dentist's house down the road because he gives out toothbrushes. Because hey, free toothbrush.

I'd just like to reiterate that I've met Mr. Z before, and he's actually very handsome and has a great body. So much so that both our wives were casting looks of mild surprise, disgust, and concern at me for how I was leering at him.

I'd also just like to reiterate that Mr. Z does not wear a banana suit, that's his real skin.