Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Couldn’t make out the words at first glance on mobile, thought that was one of those little sewing kits with 9 kinds of thread.

—Patrick

I got 19, but I'm cheating slightly because I didn't injure myself with a slip and slide, pogo ball, skip it, or moon shoes. I injured myself with a pog slammer.

It was a heavy slammer.

15 but with a bunch of near-misses. These are clearly aimed at kids born 7-10yrs after me.
900 numbers were too expensive, wore flannel and band shirts but not simultaneously, learned typing on an IBM Selectric, someone in my family collected Kool points (all the people I knew who collected Malrboro points weren't actually related to me), etc.

--Patrick

I definitely feel you guys that most of this is actually 90s crap. For it to really be Gen X, there needs to be more "atari 2600" and "45 rpm record player" and "owned a toy that was later banned because some kid died" type stuff on it.
Even so...that's a lot of bingos hah
1653361858827.png

• Assuming "Died of dysentery" means "played Oregon Trail"
  • Flannel over a band T-shirt was more 90's. It wasn't a thing when I was in school. The hot thing in my school was the whole Marty McFly puffy coat with the sleeves removed look.
  • I learned typing in school, from a teacher who walked around saying "F-J F-J F-J" while we hit the keys for half an hour. Mavis Beacon didn't even come out until I was a junior in high school.
  • DARE was a thing when I was a kid, but not nearly as big as after I graduated. And none of the cool kids would be caught dead in a DARE t-shirt.
  • When I moved to Lovettsville in 2013, there wasn't much to do in the town. So I got a library card. Then I looked around all puzzled like Columbo, until I asked the librarian "Uh...where's the card catalog." And she just laughed and laughed.

I wore open flannel shirts over t-shirts but never a band shirt because I didn't have any band shirts.

I still wear open flannel shirts over t-shirts now. I'm 40 years old.

I'm earlyish Gen X and many of these do not apply.

*69? I never even owned a push button phone until I moved out of the dorms in the 90s. And you had to pay for that shit! Who could afford that?

Graduate from DARE? Didn't have it at my school. Maybe it didn't exist yet? Anyway, we were still allowed to wear alcohol and tobacco themed clothing when I was in school, and there was a smoking area for students near the student parking lot. I think smoking only got banned around 1986 or so.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter first, then a massive electric that was noisier than the manual, in a dedicated typing class in high school. Ka-chunk ka-chunk! So I already knew how to type when I got my first computer (Commodore 64).

"New Coke" & "Classic Coke" is way more Gen X than Crystal Pepsi.

My parents smoked the cheap cigarettes that didn't have points. But I collected Kool-Aid points to get Kool-Aid Man for the Atari 2600!

I've seen that image circulating around a bunch lately, and not to totally kill the joke, but that's a 30 year-old paper they're trying to access. Many journals (particularly more "prestigious" journals such as Nature and Science) have switched over to fully or partially open-access formats (meaning that the paper is totally free for anyone with an internet connection to access) for current articles, though archives (particularly >10 years old) are often still paywalled even in those open-access journals. FWIW, even for most paywalled (scientific*) papers, if you write to the corresponding author, they can send you a copy of their paper for free, as long as you don't state an intention to use the paper commercially. Granted, I'm not sure quite what happens when the author has died (as in the case of the article above, where the author died in 2006).

Also, that article is indeed available online for free should anyone care to read it. (And it's about how science is hard for laypeople to understand, rather than actually being able to access it to read it.)

Of course, outside of that one specific paper, open access isn't without its issues - primarily, that the cost of publication gets redirected onto the author(s). The last several papers that I have published have all had higher charges due to being open access, though we now budget for higher publication costs when writing grants. And an unintended consequence of open-access publication is that the increased fees for open-access publications may result in fewer lead authors from underrepresented countries publishing OA articles (n.b. both that more "scholarly" article and the more lay-friendly version are open access!)

*I am wholly unfamiliar with current publication access practices outside of the fields of science and medicine!