Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I remember in the novelizations of the OT and the Thrawn books, "Jedi robes" were described as being similar to what common folk - the working class - wore in dozens of civilizations. They were just supposed to be fairly plain clothes that were durable, provided good freedom of movement, and blended in. I mean, shit, Owen Lars' robes aren't all that different from Ben Kenobi's, which makes sense since they're both living in the fucking desert. The entire point of the Jedi Order was to serve the people in a humble way, using their connection to the Force to gain wisdom and to draw strength to protect the weak.

Then the prequels came, and fucking nobody except the Jedi are wearing the robes, and the Jedi Order is a state-sponsored religious cult of child-takers used as diplomats and special enforcers for the Republic.

What the fuck, George?

fade

Staff member
Huh. Before the prequels, I had them in my mind as sort of a wizard corps or green berets. Mostly because Ben mentions fighting in a war, and that the Jedi were peacekeepers for over a thousand years.

I remember in the novelizations of the OT and the Thrawn books, "Jedi robes" were described as being similar to what common folk - the working class - wore in dozens of civilizations. They were just supposed to be fairly plain clothes that were durable, provided good freedom of movement, and blended in. I mean, shit, Owen Lars' robes aren't all that different from Ben Kenobi's, which makes sense since they're both living in the fucking desert. The entire point of the Jedi Order was to serve the people in a humble way, using their connection to the Force to gain wisdom and to draw strength to protect the weak.

Then the prequels came, and fucking nobody except the Jedi are wearing the robes, and the Jedi Order is a state-sponsored religious cult of child-takers used as diplomats and special enforcers for the Republic.

What the fuck, George?
You know, the working-class uniform thing would make sense based off A New Hope, since the Jedi robes look really similar to Luke's signature outfit. Then like you guys said, the prequels come along and suddenly that's the uniform of the Jedi. Did anyone think that would be a bad retcon for the original movie? "Hey, we're hiding Darth Vader's kid out here in the desert with his known extended family. We should totally dress him like a Jedi! No one will EVER suspect!"

...you know, as I write that out, I realize Vader must be one of the biggest morons in the galaxy. So much power, so little brains.

You know, the working-class uniform thing would make sense based off A New Hope, since the Jedi robes look really similar to Luke's signature outfit. Then like you guys said, the prequels come along and suddenly that's the uniform of the Jedi. Did anyone think that would be a bad retcon for the original movie? "Hey, we're hiding Darth Vader's kid out here in the desert with his known extended family. We should totally dress him like a Jedi! No one will EVER suspect!"

...you know, as I write that out, I realize Vader must be one of the biggest morons in the galaxy. So much power, so little brains.
The original EU, may it rest in peace, had an explanation for this. Obi-Wan knew Vader well enough to know that he would never willingly go within twelve parsecs of Tatooine if he could help it. There were simply too many painful memories there, such as his childhood in slavery, the loss of his mother, the time he spent with Padme, all that freaking sand, etc. Therefore Obi-Wan knew that he could safely keep Luke there, and even have Luke use his real name, because even if someone went to Vader with the information "there's this Skywalker kid on Tatooine", Vader would stick his gloved fingers into his audio receptor ports and shout "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU" between wheezed breaths.

The original EU, may it rest in peace, had an explanation for this. Obi-Wan knew Vader well enough to know that he would never willingly go within twelve parsecs of Tatooine if he could help it. There were simply too many painful memories there, such as his childhood in slavery, the loss of his mother, the time he spent with Padme, all that freaking sand, etc. Therefore Obi-Wan knew that he could safely keep Luke there, and even have Luke use his real name, because even if someone went to Vader with the information "there's this Skywalker kid on Tatooine", Vader would stick his gloved fingers into his audio receptor ports and shout "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU" between wheezed breaths.
Ahhhh... so my theory that Vader is the galaxy's biggest idiot had textual proof once. Good to know.

I did like that explanation and felt that Vader going to Tatooine would be totally in character.

Of course, it doesnt explain why he didn't send a squad to take Luke.

2001: What if monsters had feelings
2004: When everyone has feelings, no one will
2007: What if restaurant critics had feelings
2009: What if old people could give YOU feelings
2012: Irish people react to feelings
2013: What if planes had car feelings

—Patrick