Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I thought Google WAS the creep watching you?
You know, until you said this, I was only hitting the "I get that" rating because I knew about manga where the characters are anthropomorphized operating systems, search engines, etc.
...I didn't realize she was sitting on The Couch.

--Patrick

"Possibly take an alternate flight." WTF does that mean? It'll be that, or they'll refund your money, which would be totally inadequate to get another flight with? Or what?

It's obvious. It's there so someone won't confuse it with a nine.
Yes, we all know that there's no "9" on a d8, but that doesn't mean someone in a hurry (or who has been up for 36 straight hours of gaming) won't still "see" a 9. Alternatively, the manufacturer might have decided to simplify things and use the same stamp used to make the d10s.

If you really want to talk about silly faces, ask to see a d2 or d3. Your more clever shop owners will bust out a copy of a Blizzard game.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, we all know that there's no "9" on a d8, but that doesn't mean someone in a hurry (or who has been up for 36 straight hours of gaming) won't still "see" a 9.
So why don't they underline the 6 on a D6?

Yes, we all know that there's no "9" on a d8, but that doesn't mean someone in a hurry (or who has been up for 36 straight hours of gaming) won't still "see" a 9. Alternatively, the manufacturer might have decided to simplify things and use the same stamp used to make the d10s.

If you really want to talk about silly faces, ask to see a d2 or d3. Your more clever shop owners will bust out a copy of a Blizzard game.

--Patrick
Everybody hasa d2 lying around. It's called a coin

Because the faces are square. No chance of confusion. The faces of (traditional) d8 and d10 are both triangles and therefore easier to confuse with one another (unlike the d4, which is also a triangle, but much more obviously a d4).

--Patrick

... Are you saying that you can tell which side of a square - whose defining characteristic is that it is the same on all sides - is up??
No, I'm saying I can tell which face of a cube is up. There's a difference. Also I can immediately tell it's a cube. My point was that the faces of a d6 are all square, whereas the faces of an octahedron (d8) and the standard decahedron (d10) are a triangle and a kite, respectively. The latter two shapes are easily confused for one another, making it possible to mistake a d8 for a d10 at a glance, or vice versa. Nobody will accidentally think a d6 is a d8, for instance, because the faces' shapes are so distinctly different. Therefore, there is no need to underline the 6 on a d6 because it is obviously a d6, and interpreting the "6" face on a d6 as a "nine" requires a certain amount of willful disregard.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I'm saying I can tell which face of a cube is up. There's a difference. Also I can immediately tell it's a cube. My point was that the faces of a d6 are all square, whereas the faces of an octahedron (d8) and the standard decahedron (d10) are a triangle and a kite, respectively. The latter two shapes are easily confused for one another, making it possible to mistake a d8 for a d10 at a glance, or vice versa. Nobody will accidentally think a d6 is a d8, for instance, because the faces' shapes are so distinctly different. Therefore, there is no need to underline the 6 on a d6 because it is obviously a d6, and interpreting the "6" face on a d6 as a "nine" requires a certain amount of willful disregard.

--Patrick
Well, really, I was waiting for you to point out that only a fraction of a percentage of D6s use numerals, whereas the overwhelming majority use pips :p

Well, really, I was waiting for you to point out that only a fraction of a percentage of D6s use numerals, whereas the overwhelming majority use pips :p
I considered that, as well as mentioning that the "6" side of a pip die would read the same right-side up as well as upside-down, but the ones that come marked with pips are usually sold bundled only with other d6s that are marked with pips. To get a d6 marked with Arabic numerals usually means buying it as part of a set containing the aforementioned d8 and d10.

Shame on you for underestimating my level of pedantry. Shame, I say.

--Patrick

I considered that, as well as mentioning that the "6" side of a pip die would read the same right-side up as well as upside-down, but the ones that come marked with pips are usually sold bundled only with other d6s that are marked with pips. To get a d6 marked with Arabic numerals usually means buying it as part of a set containing the aforementioned d8 and d10.

Shame on you for underestimating my level of pedantry. Shame, I say.

--Patrick
Spoken like someone who never dug through the dice bin at a game store.

You mean on a regular dice?

Funny story, i walked into a hobby store once and asked for a d6... guy at counter proceeds to stare at me confused for quite a while, until one of his female colleagues points out that i'm asking for a regular die...