Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

As awesome as that is, I wouldn't conflate Wizard and Q. Q is so much more a "trickster-type" (Loki basically) than a Wizard-type. Hell, Guinan should be in that slot, it's much more true from a plot point of view IMO. Wizards in my mind are wise figures who you don't completely understand, and yet trust. Rarely adversaries unless you have your OWN wizard already (and the plot is contrasting them). Thus Q doesn't work for his TNG time.

Basically, IMO a Wizard helps explain the plot or helps the "main characters" solve the plot in some "wisdom-based" way, with occasional demonstrations of "mystic" power. A trickster causes the plot to happen, for their own amusement, but often also with "a message" for those s/he's causing to go through it, which IMO is a great description of TNG-era Q.

Funnily enough though, I'd say it's more true that Q becomes a Wizard at the end of his arc (Voyager and such) than at the beginning, as he's not really an antagonist in those episodes. He's actually around to help clean up after the hijinx of OTHER "wizards" and thus fits the trope that much better.

As awesome as that is, I wouldn't conflate Wizard and Q. Q is so much more a "trickster-type" (Loki basically) than a Wizard-type. Hell, Guinan should be in that slot, it's much more true from a plot point of view IMO. Wizards in my mind are wise figures who you don't completely understand, and yet trust. Rarely adversaries unless you have your OWN wizard already (and the plot is contrasting them). Thus Q doesn't work for his TNG time.

Basically, IMO a Wizard helps explain the plot or helps the "main characters" solve the plot in some "wisdom-based" way, with occasional demonstrations of "mystic" power. A trickster causes the plot to happen, for their own amusement, but often also with "a message" for those s/he's causing to go through it, which IMO is a great description of TNG-era Q.

Funnily enough though, I'd say it's more true that Q becomes a Wizard at the end of his arc (Voyager and such) than at the beginning, as he's not really an antagonist in those episodes. He's actually around to help clean up after the hijinx of OTHER "wizards" and thus fits the trope that much better.
Plus, Q actually does magic, while the Wizards of Middle Earth just yammer on, spewing plot exposition.

(Okay I'm enjoying reading The Two Towers far more than I did Fellowship, and probably because there's less Gandalf)

I'm not an American Football fan, but how many people have even BEEN to the Super Bowl 7 times? For most professional sports, I'd say that's pretty damned high for the championship.