Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Back when I bothered to attempt to explain to these people such things in terms they could understand, I told them that the hard drive, or storage, is "long term memory," things the computer can remember when it needs to, and that RAM, or memory, is more like "attention span," how many things the computer can keep track of all at once. Thus, it doesn't matter if your computer can "remember" 500 gigs of stuff, it can't remember or think about it all all at once, and the more "attention span" the computer has, the more it can handle doing.
I usually explain it as if your computer were a cubicle. Most people know cubicles. RAM is the size of your cubicle, it determines how many people (programs) you can have working in there simultaneously, and if you have any RAM-hungry programs, that's like trying to share your cubicle with one or more really large guy(s). HDD is filing cabinets/drawers, it determines how many documents you can accumulate while still leaving room for the OS (chairs, table, etc).
I have lotsa other analogies, I usually make 'em up on the spot.

--Patrick

I remember when my mom called about the computer which got stuck and frozen, and had to talk for about 5 minutes to convince her that unplugging the machine would not destroy it or blow it up (holding down the external power button did not work, as she could not find that button).

I'm not sure I'd ever sign up for "colonic irrigation" even if it wasn't shown to be quackery.

--Patrick
Most of these way-out-there "treatments" are presented to people with problems (or perceived problems) so severe that they are willing to go to great lengths to resolve them. Even intelligent people make bad decisions regarding their personal health care - consider Steve Jobs.

fade

Staff member
Some of these crossings are suspect. Why, for example, are werewolves both paranormal and pseudoscience? Seems like pure paranormal to me. Unless we're counting medical conditions and mental disturbances, but those aren't pseudoscience.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some of these crossings are suspect. Why, for example, are werewolves both paranormal and pseudoscience?
Because in contemporary media it's explained as being a caused by a disease that is spread by biting, so it kind of straddles the line.

B

BErt

Mind = blown...table = flipped

EDIT: rabble = roused...jimmy = rustled.

...I need to lay down

Last edited by a moderator: