Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

B

BErt

...I know that's completely not the US, but with it being addressed to "Mr Ritchie" I choose to believe they were replying to Kid Rock.

GasBandit

Staff member
@General Specific the pictured character is Shou Tucker from Full Metal Alchemist. His specialty was creating chimeras, IE, using alchemy to fuse multiple life forms into one combined life form with aspects of the separate ones. He crossed a moral event horizon by (FMA Spoilers)
using his wife, and later his 4 year old daughter in the alchemy to create intelligent, talking chimeras, which is expressly forbidden by law (and morality). His wife-chimera only said one sentence: "I want to die," which it did shortly thereafter. The chimera-abomination that was made from his daughter and the family dog escaped and was killed. When his actions were revealed, he was arrested and convicted of Human Alchemy. It is considered to be one of the big "WHAM" moments in the anime, due to the horrific nature of creating human chimeras.

During the super bowl, this was a commercial.

I have, and it still makes no sense. Puppymonkeybaby is an example of three great things being horrible in combination. It's steak with jam and.....Yeah, I can't think of anything, steak tastes great with everything. But still.

@General Specific the pictured character is Shou Tucker from Full Metal Alchemist. His specialty was creating chimeras, IE, using alchemy to fuse multiple life forms into one combined life form with aspects of the separate ones. He crossed a moral event horizon by (FMA Spoilers)
using his wife, and later his 4 year old daughter in the alchemy to create intelligent, talking chimeras, which is expressly forbidden by law (and morality). His wife-chimera only said one sentence: "I want to die," which it did shortly thereafter. The chimera-abomination that was made from his daughter and the family dog escaped and was killed. When his actions were revealed, he was arrested and convicted of Human Alchemy. It is considered to be one of the big "WHAM" moments in the anime, due to the horrific nature of creating human chimeras.

During the super bowl, this was a commercial.

Thank you. I had seen the commercial and had the same WTF reaction as most, just had not watched enough of Full Metal Alchemist to get that reference. I was not really hooked by the series, so have not watched much of it.

The animation was lousy. Rather than a genetically engineered chimera where parts blend, this looked like a poorly frankensteined assembly. The parts didn't move the way they should have - the baby part didn't move like a baby, nor a monkey, nor a dog, nor as if they were physically holding up the weight and supporting the dynamically moving body and head parts. It was as if they didn't just graft the three parts together, but they animated them separately as well so it never felt like a cohesive whole.

On the other hand, if they had managed to make it look cohesive, it might have entered the uncanny valley so deeply that it would have been much, much more traumatic for viewers. It's possible they created such a commercial, found it didn't test well, and intentionally ruined it.

Either way, I'm obviously not their desired demographic.

I also have to wonder about their claim that a puppy, a monkey, and a baby are all "amazing" and deserve to be fused.

First, the puppy. Adorably cute, but beyond that it is a nightmare. You have to figure out what it likes to eat, teach it not to shit on the floor, teach it to not chew up some things and to chew up different things. Once it grows out of the puppy phase and calms down, it is much better, but until then it is a lot of work. Not amazing.

Second, the monkey. Some are cute, but most are just really dangerous. They attack and bite, not to mention the throwing of poop. Not amazing at all.

Last, the baby. Now everyone thinks their own child is just great, but this is an apartment with three guys in it and no signs of parenthood or a serious relationship. So, it is Someone Else's Baby. And Someone Else's Baby (SEB) is just the worst. You can't really do anything. Does it need to be changed? Well, find the parent and hope the diaper holds. Is it hungry? Well, find the parent and see if they have food for it. Is it running around and getting everything sticky? SEB is always sticky, ALWAYS, even after bathing. The antithesis of amazing.

Babies, puppies and, to a lesser extent, monkeys, are all things a specific type of woman thinks is awesome. It doesn't line up with what stoners or fratboys hanging out in front of the TV would think are awesome.

Babies, puppies and, to a lesser extent, monkeys, are all things a specific type of woman thinks is awesome. It doesn't line up with what stoners or fratboys hanging out in front of the TV would think are awesome.
Which makes it even worse because this was a Super Bowl commercial. The biggest sporting event of the year and biggest fratboy demographic draw of them all.

fade

Staff member
The reason for puppies, monkies, and babies was probably for the staccato plosives in the words. Because it's the song that makes that commercial fun.

Zappit

Staff member
I work in a middle school, and I think I can confirm preteens are the target audience for puppymonkeybaby, since it's one of the only things they talked about for days after the Super Bowl.

I can also confirm I fucking hate puppymonkeybaby.

I work in a middle school, and I think I can confirm preteens are the target audience for puppymonkeybaby, since it's one of the only things they talked about for days after the Super Bowl.

I can also confirm I fucking hate puppymonkeybaby.
Yuuuuuuup. My kids wouldn't shut up about it either.

Maybe we're looking at the target audience wrong. It's entirely possible they made this to appeal to a younger crowd, hoping to create some brand loyalty. It wouldn't be the first time advertising has done so.

fade

Staff member
I could swear my brain is oppositely aligned from all of you. I thought puppymonkeybaby was funny. I mean, not laugh out loud or anything, but chuckle-worthy.

Also this: