Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I had to "prove" I wasn't a "poser".
I had that happen when I was a teenager. I was an 80's metal head and some guy I had gone to school with for years decided I was a poser and had to prove myself as a fan of metal music. I had been listening to Black Sabbath since I was at least 5 years old (thanks Dad)! My "test" was to name 5 Ozzy songs! lol

I've never had to prove myself as a geek. It only takes one awkward conversation and it becomes pretty damn clear. :D

I don't understand the fake geek girl thing. I can't say I've ever heard anyone accuse a woman of that personally. Usually they just call her an actual geek.
Yeah I'm going to have to chime in with everyonelse and say it's definitely a real thing. I watched my sister rip tooth and nail into people that used to call her out. It was always an amusing moment to watch their stunned silence or complete disbelief at her usually being a much bigger nerd/geek than nearly any of them. This mostly happened from about 14-17 with spots of it from 18-22. After that it pretty much dies out unless they're neckbeards.

I honestly don't have any more of the story than that. Dad hasn't ever told me much about his work, and when he does it's generally a very vague description such as that. That, and the guy with the dice stuck in his nostrils are the only two weird ones he's ever told me. Scariest none-fire one was the guy who had been stabbed who's fellow gang member were fighting off the EMTs and firefighters with knives to keep their buddy out of the hospital and let him die on the street instead. After that the few stories he's told me were just legitimately horrifying and do not ever need to be repeated.

So yeah. Dude's balls were trapped in the wheel of an exercise bike. Why they were there, we may never know.

This mostly happened from about 14-17 with spots of it from 18-22. After that it pretty much dies out unless they're neckbeards.
Start it at age 12, and this has pretty much been my experience. Most face-palming was when another woman did it to me! I went to the first Wizard World con in Philadelphia with my (now-ex) boyfriend, and we had just started walking the aisles when some woman grabs my arm, and says, "Did you know that there are comics for girls? You don't have to be here just because your boyfriend dragged you!" Needless to say, my ex saw the expression on my face and did a 180 in the other direction, because he knew the shit storm that was about to go down. :mad:

I think even trying to answer their stupid quizzes validates them as having some legitimacy in their bullshit. I consider myself a geek probably, but if you ask me a bunch of Batman trivia, I'm probably not going to know much of it unless it could be garnered from Batman: The Animated Series. But I won't ever be questioned, because I'm not a girl. My geek status has solid foundation because I said it exists or not.

Which is stupid as hell.

Benedict Cumberbatch totally photobombing U2 on the red carpet.

I hate the Oscars for a myriad of reasons, but it's totally worth it just for this.

I don't understand the fake geek girl thing. I can't say I've ever heard anyone accuse a woman of that personally. Usually they just call her an actual geek.
I've had it happen to me a couple of times in my life, both regarding geeky stuff and sports. I had to "prove" I wasn't a "poser". Though honestly they were more rare occurrences for me. Usually I get met with more appreciation/comradery for being a fan... like Halforums!
It usually gets thrown at cosplayers. I think Kags could probably talk more to that.
This is all just conjecture on my part, but I think it's fallout from the "booth babe" culture of the last couple decades. Used to be companies would hire models (or just pretty girls) to dress in costume and bat eyelashes at the conventiongoers with only a cursory (if that) knowledge of the product/character they portrayed. And, of course, since these pretty ladies were either intimidating to the socially inept, or genuinely out of the league of the nerds, it bred resentment under the surface. Then when these socially stunted Morts encounter a genuine fan of the culture who happens to be female, out comes the misplaced hostility. It's the growing pains of getting past the whole "girls don't like comics and video games" stereotype that most of us grew up with. I don't think it is as common as we're led to believe, but instances of it happening are spotlighted so that everybody hears about it. Which is good, because it's part of stopping the hostility and making it "ok for girls to like this stuff."
Sorry, I'm late to the party!

And this topic has run it's course a bit, but my two cents:
Being called a fake geek is normally relegated to the convention scene in my experience. And now, it generally happens to cosplayers. It happens less to just general con goers now. Much less than it used to anyway. I think people see cosplayers as kind of an uber fan and feel the need to test them - double check their fan status. Which, I don't agree with, I mean, I've considered cosplaying characters I know nothing about. I just liked their costume. But cosplayers are easy targets because we wear our badge clearly, what characters we love.

I think Gas hit the nail on the head with talking about booth babes. And it's still a pretty big thing today. So many companies will hire very attractive women to dress up and sell products, which I think irks a lot of people because they go to the booth, excited to talk about the product/comics/statues/art (and hey, talking nerdy things with a hot girl, sounds kind of exciting) but then are completely let down when she knows nothing.

So, I get the hesitation, but I don't think it makes 'testing' girls necessary. And like I said, it happens more at conventions. I've never been accused of anything when I go to my local comic shop - the guys there are the best! But at cons, I've been asked aggressively about what I'm cosplaying and if I know anything about the character.

I dunno, it's a topic that gets a lot of discussion in the online world, but I kind of don't care so much. I'm going to like what I like regardless if people feel I'm a good enough fan or not.[DOUBLEPOST=1393862618,1393862335][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, there was a comic I saw once that kind of sums up how I feel - how cosplayers spend a lot of time, money, effort on costumes so a lot of us can't afford to keep up wtih comics. I'll see if I can find it..

Last edited:
Reactions: JCM
I think Gas hit the nail on the head with talking about booth babes. And it's still a pretty big thing today. So many companies will hire very attractive women to dress up and sell products, which I think irks a lot of people because they go to the booth, excited to talk about the product/comics/statues/art (and hey, talking nerdy things with a hot girl, sounds kind of exciting) but then are completely let down when she knows nothing.
I'm still amazed when I see interviewers asking booth babes about stuff. These guys think they're going to the ren faire or something, but it's the equivalent of going to Chuck E Cheese and asking someone for info about mice. These are employees, hired to be there and spout the company line--nothing more.

But people who aren't paid to be there, but instead pay to be there, are doing it for their own reasons. The only info a fake geek girl accuser need when going up to a geek girl is for her to hand him a pamphlet on butt plug removal, because he's clearly having difficulty and has now sought gratification in harassing others.

See, I feel similarly @Zero Esc. The 'booth babes' are there to work, nothing more. So, I've personally never felt offended by them, nor do I feel bothered that they're there.

Last edited:
Why hire booth babes at all? Plenty of hot cosplayers that would be willing to do some boothing for cash. They'd be knowledgeable about the product, they'd be attractive and they'd enjoy themselves.

fade

Staff member
If I were to play devil's advocate, these accusers could have been victims of some variant of this:

Okay I can't find the actual strip, but there was a Funky Winkerbean from the 90s that summed up the kind of thing that has happened to me several times in school. An attractive girl pretends to be sweet on the nerd, and asks him out. When he says "yes!", she and her clique start laughing at the nerd.

For better or worse, those of us (in generation X at least) never really knew any attractive girls who expressed an interest in our typically ostracized interests besides someone who was baiting like this. It's horrible, and there's all kinds of things wrong with it, but it is also simple conditioning.

On another hand, I never really understood the need to invest X amount of time/dollars in a hobby to be considered a real practicioner. Every does this, not just comic fans. You're not a real photog unless you have at least an entry level DSLR. You're not a real comic artist unless you use Bristol board and 5 dollar a pop art pens. You're not a real car guy unless you can recite what cars had a 450 cu in big block. You're not a real electronic hobbyist if you're using an Arduino. Blah blah blah.

For better or worse, those of us (in generation X at least) never really knew any attractive girls who expressed an interest in our typically ostracized interests besides someone who was baiting like this. It's horrible, and there's all kinds of things wrong with it, but it is also simple conditioning.
I appreciate the explanation, but it doesn't excuse their behavior.

On another hand, I never really understood the need to invest X amount of time/dollars in a hobby to be considered a real practicioner. Every does this, not just comic fans. You're not a real photog unless you have at least an entry level DSLR. You're not a real comic artist unless you use Bristol board and 5 dollar a pop art pens. You're not a real car guy unless you can recite what cars had a 450 cu in big block. You're not a real electronic hobbyist if you're using an Arduino. Blah blah blah.
That's hipster shit. What we're dealing with here are misogynist hipsters. Not a fun hybrid.

Why hire booth babes at all? Plenty of hot cosplayers that would be willing to do some boothing for cash. They'd be knowledgeable about the product, they'd be attractive and they'd enjoy themselves.
Because people who want to cosplay at conventions also want to walk around and see stuff, not be tied to any particular booth?

Because people who want to cosplay at conventions also want to walk around and see stuff, not be tied to any particular booth?
I'm sure there's a percentage that either wouldn't be able to go at all or would like to offset the cost of the outfits/trip by doing some of the work. Also you gave a reason why the cosplayers wouldn't want to do this, not why the companies haven't tried it.

Some companies do do it though. It's less common, but it happens.

My friend Carla works for Gentle Giant at SDCC as Slave Leia.

More famously, Jessica Nigri was the official model for Lollipop Chainsaw and other Grasshopper games.

So, it's not unheard of for cosplayers to team up with companies, but yeah.

I legitimately still feel pangs of guilt sometimes for doing the majority of my drawing on printer stock, and it's the dumbest thing. I've mostly gotten over it though, and posted online drawings that I've made in training notebooks, Starbucks adverts, envelopes and cardboard. Sometimes I'm grateful for the different media, and have even gone so far as to use Sharpie in some of my more recent paintings.

GasBandit

Staff member
SQUIRREL

[DOUBLEPOST=1393954211,1393953653][/DOUBLEPOST]Bill Goldberg got a goat.

So of course, he named it Goatberg.

WHO'S NEH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EXT