Export thread

Fox News affilliate Insults bronies, calls them freaks.

Hylian

Hylian

(the part about bronies starts about 2 minutes in)

It is amazing how little research they obviously did for this story. They obviously that they are morons who are just saying stuff that they think there viewers want to hear. I know it is Fox News and I should expect this crap from them but still.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

By the way Hylian, how's work going?

Hylian

Hylian

Work is going fine and I am on break right now :p

Disconnected

bronies? I had no idea.

Espy

Espy

What the hell is a bronie?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

All I saw was a thing talking about guys claiming disability because they are obsessed with My Little Pony. If that's the case, I'm with the Fox guy (fuck).

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, found an image that should accurately sum up everything their reporting made me feel
8797 - A_Goofy_Movie car disappoint disappointed Goofy parody patrick_star pinkie_pie.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

What the hell is a bronie?
An adult male fan of the animated series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Disconnected

All I saw was a thing talking about guys claiming disability because they are obsessed with My Little Pony. If that's the case, I'm with the Fox guy (fuck).
I know, it feels dirty doesn't it.

also did this thread title change?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dude. Fox. I just... never mind. Just never mind... *facewheel*

Hylian

Hylian

I have not seen/heard of any people who are on disability for liking MLP. There may be some people who are but if there is it would be an isolated incident. It definitely is not indicative of bronies as a majority.

strawman

strawman

That's a thing?
It is amazing how little research they obviously did for this story. They obviously that they are morons who are just saying stuff that they think there viewers want to hear. I know it is Fox News and I should expect this crap from them but still.
Are you defending grown men who go on disability because they love my little pony too much to work?

I mean, sure it's fun to hate of Fox news, but all they're saying is that we're paying to support people because they decide that life is too hard and they want to think about cartoon characters instead.

Hylian

Hylian

That's a thing?

Are you defending grown men who go on disability because they love my little pony too much to work?

I mean, sure it's fun to hate of Fox news, but all they're saying is that we're paying to support people because they decide that life is too hard and they want to think about cartoon characters instead.

I am not saying that if someone is on disability for liking MLP it is right what I am saying is that I have heard /seen no reports of people doing that. And even if there is every show/subject has people whoa re going to go overboard with it. The main thing is that not every Brony is doing what they are claiming and so we shouldn't all be lumped into one pile and called freaks.

strawman

strawman

I have not seen/heard of any people who are on disability for liking MLP. There may be some people who are but if there is it would be an isolated incident. It definitely is not indicative of bronies as a majority.
Ah. So you agree that people shouldn't go on disability just so they can enjoy their cartoon 24/7, but you believe that Fox was asserting that all bronies everywhere did this.

Gotcha.

Espy

Espy

Ahhhhhh.

strawman

strawman

In other words, you're acting just as crazy as fox is and blowing this all out of proportion.

Espy

Espy

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, being a fan of anything that gives you a fucking terrible label, be it bronie or transfan (trannies, ha, fuck you transformer people) or browncoat or whatever is enough to make me not want to have anything to do with those things.

strawman

strawman

Sorry, I should be more diplomatic about it, but for some reason I'm a bit testy today.

To make up for it, here's an image macro:

Hylian

Hylian

In other words, you're acting just as crazy as fox is and blowing this all out of proportion.

No I am not blowing it out of proportions I am annoyed at them but not outraged. I do find it obvious that they did little to no research before making their story and than they lump a whole group of people that they don't understand into the same category as people whoa re mooching off the government and have no life. To top it off they don't off any sources for their info or anything. The only thing they had was a few pictures off the internet and that was it. As I said I have not heard any stories about someone who quit there job becuase of MLP but even if they did it should be obvious that not all of us are like that and we don't deserve to be dumped into a "you are all lazy slobs and are what is wrong with America" category.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hylian, you do know the only way to not be what's wrong with America is to vote Republican, right?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

*applauds* Bravo, Allen. Also, nice avatar shift.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Take it from a first generation Japanimation fan, D&D player, Computer Owner... if you do anything that does not fall into the mainstream people will treat you like a freak.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

*applauds* Bravo, Allen. Also, nice avatar shift.
He who controls the spice, controls the world

If... if that's okay with you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm an adult and what is this

makare

Fox is stupid yes but I will never understand this obsession with that Pony movie. I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fox is stupid yes but I will never understand this obsession with that Pony movie. I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.
This isn't about the movie, it's about the current animated series. Very different creatures.

makare

I meant the series the one with the weird animation that made me go WTF!?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

That's very specific.

makare

The one where the ponies look like this

I call them, Ponies after Chernobyl

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Dude in video looks like Kurtz.

This is also NOT FoxNews, but a local St. Louis affiliate. Also, every single freaking "news" outlet seems to do the same type of whack-job reporting about San Diego Comicon, or whatever major local show is in the area.

Null

Null

Some things deserve ridicule.

strawman

strawman

Out of curiosity, was the term bronies created by the community it describes, and if not have they accepted/adopted it, or is it an external term others use?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's more of an internal thing, I should surmise - the only folks I've heard using it are bronies themselves...

And like Hylian, I've never heard of one quitting their job to spend the day chatting about it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The error here is taking a term that had been coined for a community, and using it to describe another, way more fucked up community.

"A group of people calling themselves GAMERS have begun filing for disability so that they can play Halo all day."

... I take that back, that probably happened.

strawman

strawman

Or simply reporting on the more extreme elements within that community.

Covar

Covar

I have a question no ones been asking. How the hell would you be granted disability for that bullshit?!

LittleSin

LittleSin

You can get on disability if you are unable to properly operate a telephone.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You can get on disability if you are unable to properly operate a telephone.
Damn, I need to tell my 82 year old Dad to sign up... He can't even program a VCR.

ElJuski

ElJuski

So My Little Pony is the new ironic dumbshit thing internet nerds are driving into the ground? And then the garbage media is making a fuss about it? OH NO

ALSO--Why would a man who wears a shirt that says "Genius At Work" spend his time watching a children's cartoon?

(For the uninitiated to good cartoons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9jVG61x3qk )

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait, the fad is to like MLP ironically? This whole time I've just been enjoying it for what it is. *sigh* I'll never be one of the cool kids.

pgurney

I can't stand Fox News. Rather than just reporting the truth, if it's not juicy enough, they'll make it up.
On the other hand, I think they all do that anyway.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Wait, the fad is to like MLP ironically? This whole time I've just been enjoying it for what it is. *sigh* I'll never be one of the cool kids.
Yeah, probably not.

Null

Null

I'm sorry, but if you're a grown man who loves a cartoon aimed primarily at prepubescent girls, you deserve all the ridicule the world can give you.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm sorry, but if you're a grown man who loves a cartoon aimed primarily at prepubescent girls, you deserve all the ridicule the world can give you.
Your first post saying that didn't get the reaction you were looking for?

Jiarn

It usually doesn't.

Wasabi Poptart

Every time I read this my brain inserts a letter and I think "Why would FOX pick on innocent little Brownies?!? Oh. Bro-nies. Yeah."

Philosopher B.

Fox News fucking blows, some people take fandom to extremes, MLP is a harmless silly cartoon that some people get a kick out of.

The End

*Roll credits*

GasBandit

GasBandit

I often wondered if there was a fandom more pitiable than Trekkies... now I know.

Hylian

Hylian

How do you feel about people who are Bronies and Trekkies?

Shannow

Shannow

Some things deserve ridicule.
/thread

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Null

Null

Your first post saying that didn't get the reaction you were looking for?
The first time, I said they deserved ridicule. Then I read more of this thread, and it became clear that they not only deserve ridicule, they deserve ALL THE RIDICULE THERE IS AND EVER WILL BE. The universe will have to constantly make more, burning out stars just to fuel the shame these sad fucks should be feeling.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So Null, how do you feel about grown men that sit around all night playing make believe over a game of dice?

Just about everyone here has some stupid, nerdy, uncool habit in their life...

You made your derisive point. Keep moving on.

makare

Depends what they are make believing really.

Philosopher B.

What if you dress up in a hat and apron and make believe you're Mrs. Nesbit? There's nothing strange about that, is there?

Because I have totally not done that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My first impulse is to forcefully assert that they MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO BREED... but then I remembered who we're talking about, and I don't think that'll be an issue.

Hylian

Hylian

My first impulse is to forcefully assert that they MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO BREED... but then I remembered who we're talking about, and I don't think that'll be an issue.

makare

is that thing cross eyed?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is also NOT FoxNews, but a local St. Louis affiliate. Also, every single freaking "news" outlet seems to do the same type of whack-job reporting about San Diego Comicon, or whatever major local show is in the area.
Really? Cons? That's pathetic. I guess it depends on the town. Odd roadkill was considered a fast news day for my hometown.
Added at: 18:30
It usually doesn't.
Ha! It's funny, because no one listens to Null. Hi-larious.
So Null, how do you feel about grown men that sit around all night playing make believe over a game of dice?

Just about everyone here has some stupid, nerdy, uncool habit in their life...

You made your derisive point. Keep moving on.
This is Null's place. If Null moves on, Null has nowhere.

And his disdain is powerful.
Depends what they are make believing really.
It's just like religion!
Out of curiosity, was the term bronies created by the community it describes, and if not have they accepted/adopted it, or is it an external term others use?
I like Firefly, but I wouldn't want to be associated with Browncoats, because I'm not obsessive. I'd put the same to MLP, Star Wars... any fandom, honestly. I dislike that if there is an obsessive fanbase with a title, by liking the same thing, you're dumped in with that extreme end of the spectrum. That's what creates the hipster perspective, where they like it before it's cool and then cease to like it.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's not the "dude watches a cartoon about ponies" that's annoying; it's the "LOOK AT ME LOL PONIES LOL SEE THEYRE SO CUTE LOL LOL DO YOU SEE HOW AWESOME IT IS THAT WE WATCH PONIES!?!?!" that is annoying.

Same thing with everything on the internet; a bunch of nerds think they're funny, when in reality, they're not.

Vrii

Vrii

It's not the "dude watches a cartoon about ponies" that's annoying; it's the "LOOK AT ME LOL PONIES LOL SEE THEYRE SO CUTE LOL LOL DO YOU SEE HOW AWESOME IT IS THAT WE WATCH PONIES!?!?!" that is annoying.

Same thing with everything on the internet; a bunch of nerds think they're funny, when in reality, they're not.
No worse than the people who feel the need to march in and announce their superiority. There are jackasses on both sides of this particular discussion.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

ElJuski

ElJuski

No worse than the people who feel the need to march in and announce their superiority. There are jackasses on both sides of this particular discussion.
I wouldn't be a pompous asshole if the internet--and, I guess, Fox News--wouldn't keep shoving this shit down my throat. My only response is to lash out at the internet; I am not the internet poster bronies and other obsessive dorks want--I'm the internet poster bronies and other obsessive dorks need.

This is also why I spend most of my time off forums these days.

Jiarn

I'm pretty sure you'd still be a pompous asshole without the internet. ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Rock says it's bronies vs. jabronies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What the world envisions when one refers to themselves as a "brony:"

makare

gahhh

Hylian

Hylian

drifter

drifter

Vrii

Vrii

Well, since both sides are seemingly content to keep cycling through the same garbage being tossed back and forth, I'll just leave you guys to it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hylian

Hylian

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hylian, I like the show too, but you can't possibly be defending that first pic Gas posted. Dear gods...

makare

they are making the toys look like that animation now!?!?!

Oh goddamn it :mad:

Hylian

Hylian

I am not defending that pic. There is no real way for me to defend that pic but than again thanks to the internet there are pics for every hobby/show/whatever that its fans can't explain.

makare

:"(

my childhood they raped it.

drifter

drifter

Doesn't that pic actually predate bronies? I seem to recall seeing it a while ago. Eh, doesn't really matter, I suppose.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

they are making the toys look like that animation now!?!?!

Oh goddamn it :mad:
You seriously thought they'd make a MLP show and not sell toys?

makare

I had the hopes that they could sell the toys as they always had and not mutate them into whatever the hell those new things are supposed to be.

Philosopher B.

*Snip*
What, dudes with a great ass?

General Specific

General Specific

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think people are underestimating the age range aim of the show. It's at least tweens or they wouldn't have an episode about one pony's sister getting her period when all the other ponies in her class do.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think people are underestimating the age range aim of the show. It's at least tweens or they wouldn't have an episode about one pony's sister getting her period when all the other ponies in her class do.
I've watched a few of the episodes, and it can certainly appeal to all ages. It's cute and funny and clever. If I had kids, I'd love to watch it with them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This because SO MUCH CREEPIER when you realize she tracked down the other three kids in her class that haven't, that they formed a special club because of it, and that they did a song and dance number about it in front of the entire town.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I took it as a metaphor for developing breasts, myself... perhaps I'm putting far too much thought into this...

strawman

strawman

This because SO MUCH CREEPIER when you realize she tracked down the other three kids in her class that haven't, that they formed a special club because of it, and that they did a song and dance number about it in front of the entire town.
Even more so when you understand that horses are fertile as one year olds, and only have one ovulation cycle per year, which is tied to the amount of sunlight in a day. So if the ponies wanted their own period, they should have installed additional lighting in their stalls, and simulate spring daylight cycles.

So, aside from bronies enjoying babies, the real problem with the ponies lack of period is very likely related to seasonal affective disorder.

makare

Stienman that was super creepy... Fox news is going to come after you now.

Jiarn

strawman

strawman

Stienman that was super creepy... Fox news is going to come after you now.
I have too many ways to respond to this. You can pick one of the following:

1. You're just jealous because you have to deal with it more frequently.
2. Yeah, one of the hazards of growing up on a horse farm is knowing more about horses than you really care to know.
3. Fox news doesn't jump on stories so much as vacuum them out of the sewers, so I'm not particularly worried.
4. Super creep! Super creep! Super creepy! (Enjoy the song you've now got stuck in your head, and you're welcome.)

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm pretty sure you'd still be a pompous asshole without the internet. ;)
Probably, if dudes kept running around talking about how KEWL My Little Ponies are.

makare

I have too many ways to respond to this. You can pick one of the following:

1. You're just jealous because you have to deal with it more frequently.
2. Yeah, one of the hazards of growing up on a horse farm is knowing more about horses than you really care to know.
3. Fox news doesn't jump on stories so much as vacuum them out of the sewers, so I'm not particularly worried.
4. Super creep! Super creep! Super creepy! (Enjoy the song you've now got stuck in your head, and you're welcome.)
I don't know that song >.>

stienman KNOWS horses.

strawman

strawman

I don't know that song >.>

makare

I don't think he meant freak as in creepy stienman... I would think that a man with so many kids would understand the subtle difference there.

strawman

strawman

I don't think he meant freak as in creepy stienman... I would think that a man with so many kids would understand the subtle difference there.
"Super creep" and "super freak" rhyme (to some degree), that's the only connection.

Tress

Tress

This is how I picture steinman now:

Null

Null

That's how I've always pictured him.

Jiarn

Really? I picture:

runeplay2

If the entire fanbase was full of creepers, then why is Steven Colbert a bronie? Eh?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Because he's the living embodiment of sarcasm?

Gusto

Gusto

Ain't no Spongebob.

kingandhishorse

The first time, I said they deserved ridicule. Then I read more of this thread, and it became clear that they not only deserve ridicule, they deserve ALL THE RIDICULE THERE IS AND EVER WILL BE. The universe will have to constantly make more, burning out stars just to fuel the shame these sad fucks should be feeling.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

lol, thanks for joining for this awesome message/image macro

SeraRelm

Steve

Steve

How is a male community that enjoys My Little Pony any different than a male community enjoying football or 40 year old soccer moms lining up at midnight to catch the latest Twilight movie. This world has enough misery. If something brings enjoyment into your life and it doesn't negatively impact anyone else people should STFU. I don't watch My Little Pony but if it's got a good story and interesting characters then kudos to all you bronies out there. And, Fox, aren't you the same channel that runs the monthly "The newest teen craze that could be going on under your roof-teens shoving vodka soaked cotton balls up their keisters to get drunk. Tonight at 11."

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Are you a male who enjoys My Little Pony? Cool, no one cares.

Are you a person who calls themselves a brony? Then you are equated to people who do this kind of shit: https://www.halforums.com/threads/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.25176/page-11#post-893520

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Are you a person who calls themselves a brony? Then you are equated to people who do this kind of shit: https://www.halforums.com/threads/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.25176/page-11#post-893520
It looks like that was mod removed.

Good thing I had it saved >.>

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Are you a person who calls themselves a brony? Then you are equated to people who do this kind of shit: https://www.halforums.com/threads/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.25176/page-11#post-893520 .
https://www.halforums.com/threads/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.25176/page-11#post-893520

Isn't that the same like saying that everyone who is a Trekkie writes bad fan fiction of Kirk cornholing Spock? Or that everyone who calls themselves a browncoat would like to get betwixt Kaylee's nethers?

... Okay, I admit the latter one's pretty much true.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Spock would say that catching is illogical, so he would pitch instead of Kirk.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Or that everyone who calls themselves a browncoat straighthuman male (or lesbian) would like to get betwixt Kaylee's nethers?

... Okay, I admit the latter one's pretty much true.
It is...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hmm... You make a fair point, brain-on-stilts...

This hypothesis must be tested. Oh, Shegooooo....?

Yes or no?

SeraRelm

You're doing it wrong.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Actually, my approach was completely valid. I was asking whether she'd jump Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye, the character. Not whether she'd jump Jewel Staite, the actress. Because frankly, I think we all know the answer to the latter.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Guys, how about the simple fact that anyone being obnoxiously zealous is obnoxious and zealous? Whether it's ponies or spaceships, it's fucking annoying and lame.

Why would a man with a shirt that says Genius At Work spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope that dude never posts here again since him joining to make just the one post and disappear is the most perfect creepy thing

ElJuski

ElJuski

ooh found it:

SeraRelm

Ajax2422

Keep insulting bronies like that and we will invade you with a whiffle ball bat. Do NOT mess with the Canadian Scottish Regiment.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This thread is starting to reach Norris levels of "IT JUST WON'T DIE!"

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Do NOT mess with the Canadian Scottish Regiment.
:rofl:

General Specific

General Specific

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

hahaha, yes, that guy never posted again. aaaahhh hahahah

Null

Null

If I were to sum up one reason why people are kind of creeped out by bronies, it would have to be this:

(Spoilered for NSFW.)

SeraRelm

Gonna guess this might not be safe for work.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I will not make skittles joke... I will not make skittles joke...

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wait.....

WHAT???

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Those + the Tablet attachment + their favorite episode of MLP?

Brony Heaven ;)

ElJuski

ElJuski

Wait.....

WHAT???
What is there to explain? People are fucked up.

Hylian

Hylian

It's not like those actually exist.

Now I am not saying that I would ever buy one and yes I think it would is a bit messed up but really is it any more messed up than the ones based off of vampires, Na'vi, etc? Every fan group has there nutcases and I don't think that this really reflects on the MLP: FiM fanbase as a whole.

ElJuski

ElJuski

at least the vampires and na'vi have some sort of human proportion, but no, they are all equally fucked up and those people are equally as weird.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wouldn't a vampire fleshlight just look like a normal fleshlight? Or does the vagina have fangs?

makare

I saw an "edward" dildo a while back. it was sparkly and you were advised to "freeze it for that authentic feel".

GasBandit

GasBandit

"If you've got the money, honey, we've got your disease."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wouldn't a vampire fleshlight just look like a normal fleshlight? Or does the vagina have fangs?
It will be the extra dry version.

Null

Null

I saw an "edward" dildo a while back. it was sparkly and you were advised to "freeze it for that authentic feel".
They should probably have made it ejaculate glitter, too.

Chippy

Chippy

bronies are colostomy bags

LittleSin

LittleSin

How is this thread still going?

Luminescence

I have nothing against bronies. I have sat through a couple of MLP episodes. The older ones are fucking gay but Friendship is Magic is alright. Just coz some guys are all like "Oh my fucking god, My little Pony is so fucking gay", makes it look bad when it is actually alright. Some people just don't know what they are missing out on. It's not that bad. Coming from someone who has a major rep. at high school.

Tress

Tress

I have nothing against bronies. I have sat through a couple of MLP episodes. The older ones are fucking gay but Friendship is Magic is alright. Just coz some guys are all like "Oh my fucking god, My little Pony is so fucking gay", makes it look bad when it is actually alright. Some people just don't know what they are missing out on. It's not that bad. Coming from someone who has a major rep. at high school.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

A44.jpg

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That was my reaction too.

Frank

Frank

What the fuck?

phil

phil

Of all the nights for me to finally click on this thread, I'm glad tonight was it.

Frank

Frank

Seriously, do you know the difference between regular and vampire fleshlights?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Seriously, do you know the difference between regular and vampire fleshlights?
ttt2.jpg

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:facepalm:
Door. Your ass. Don't let it hit you there.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Gaiz don be meen 2 noobs.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, that was right out of the blue... But yeah, let's hear the new guy/gal/whatsit out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

He has a major rep at school.

LittleSin

LittleSin

This was a great thing to wake up to.

Bowielee

Bowielee

mjpopcorn.gif

Also, NR, I have no intention or responsibility to treat someone who uses gay in the pejorative nicely.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In his defense, he may have been quoting someone else using gay pejoratively.

Bowielee

Bowielee

IThe older ones are fucking gay but Friendship is Magic is alright.
Nope.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Sounds like typical teen speak.

Not saying that is all right, quite the opposite. I just know that's how teen boys talk...with very little thought to what they are actually saying.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, I don't care. That instantly flips my bitch switch. If you can't think of a better descriptor for something stupid, it may be time to reevaluate your mindset. I for the same reason try to avoid the word retarded in the pejorative. I don't always succeed, but I try. It's also one of those things that instantly makes you sound like a moron.

I'll even make it easy for people:

Synonyms: brainless, dazed, deficient, dense, dim, doltish, dopey, dull, dumb, dummy*, foolish, futile, gullible, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, ill-advised, imbecilic, inane, indiscreet, insensate, irrelevant, laughable, loser*, ludicrous, meaningless, mindless, moronic, naive, nonsensical, obtuse, out to lunch, pointless, puerile, rash, senseless, shortsighted, simple, simpleminded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupefied, thick, thick-headed, trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, witless

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Though in the interest of promoting intelligence over ignorance, if he is a teenager, it might be best to tell him why what he said was wrong. Having known teenagers, you'd be amazed the things they're unaware of.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Man, QP, you love yourself some John Carter.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Though in the interest of promoting intelligence over ignorance, if he is a teenager, it might be best to tell him why what he said was wrong. Having known teenagers, you'd be amazed the things they're unaware of.
http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, QP, you love yourself some John Carter.
Yeah, I'm having fun messing with screencaps. Though most of all I love that face. Look at him. So perplexed. Pixar animators are fucking awesome. I probably would've liked the movie, but then never thought about it again if the CGI characters hadn't been so compelling.

I mean PONIES DAMMIT GOTTA TALK ABOUT DEM PONIES.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Goddard brought Binet's intelligence test to the U.S. and began applying it to children here. Of course, it was originally written for French children, so the children didn't fare very well. What resulted was a horrible sequence of events that resulted in sterilizing the mentally retarded and essentially closing the gates on 80% of the immigrants coming through Ellis Island because they too could not pass the translated intelligence test. In the course of these events, Goddard invented the word moron to refer to people who scored below a 70 IQ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

/derail

bhamv3

bhamv3

M'bad, missed that part.

LittleSin

LittleSin

*sigh*

In Newfoundland the word 'fag' is used quite a lot. People from the mainland and other places (other than Britain) took offense.

Thing is, fag doesn't mean here what it means in others places. It means 'foolish' or 'dumb'. It wasn't until these people from outside the province started running commercials and articles and talking to kids about it in school that it started meaning homosexual.

It was then that is became truely derogative and the gay kids in school started getting teased and mocked for something they didn't do: taking away language.

Then the same thing happened to "retarded" shortly after.

It's such a complicated issue. I don't use the word fag...I do say retarded in spite of my better judgement though.

All these years, I have wondered if these 'betterment initiatives' cause more problems then changes.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That reminds of when I moved to London from Maryland, back when I was 15. "Fag" was (and as far as I'm aware, still is) used to refer to cigarettes in the UK, but I didn't know that at first. I was used to it meaning homosexual, which was how it was used in the States.

Imagine my bewilderment when, one day during lunch break, a classmate nudged me and pointed out two other classmates sneaking away to a hidden corner of the schoolyard, "Look at them, they're off to have a fag."

SeraRelm

Freaks.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why won't this thread die!?

FnordBear

FnordBear

This thread....

More so than usual...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All right, what we need is something incredibly offensive that will spew a huge argument and gets the thread locked up.

Fact: Tilapia is a more delicious seafood to eat than lobster.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Why is a fish that lives in fresh water, considered Sea Food?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I agree.

Also, at least Tilapia doesn't look like a giant insect.

SeraRelm

There can be a fresh water sea.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I am sick of this Tilapia vs. Lobster debate. You people make me sick. You whine on and on about your delicious fish or your delectable crustacean when you ignore the real issue. Shrimp (or prawns for some folks) are the greatest food to come out of the ocean. Fry those bad boys up and you have the food of the gods.

Anyone who disagrees with my views is wrong and awful and needs to go die in a fire kthnxbai.

Maybe that will do the trick?

Bowielee

Bowielee

*sigh*

In Newfoundland the word 'fag' is used quite a lot. People from the mainland and other places (other than Britain) took offense.

Thing is, fag doesn't mean here what it means in others places. It means 'foolish' or 'dumb'. It wasn't until these people from outside the province started running commercials and articles and talking to kids about it in school that it started meaning homosexual.

It was then that is became truely derogative and the gay kids in school started getting teased and mocked for something they didn't do: taking away language.

Then the same thing happened to "retarded" shortly after.

It's such a complicated issue. I don't use the word fag...I do say retarded in spite of my better judgement though.

All these years, I have wondered if these 'betterment initiatives' cause more problems then changes.
This is a generational thing. The current "foolish or dumb" usage evolved from using it as an insult. IE, you're so gay, being gay is a horrible thing, therefore calling you gay means that you are inferior. It is the same way that retarded developed as a descriptor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I am sick of this Tilapia vs. Lobster debate. You people make me sick. You whine on and on about your delicious fish or your delectable crustacean when you ignore the real issue. Shrimp (or prawns for some folks) are the greatest food to come out of the ocean. Fry those bad boys up and you have the food of the gods.

Anyone who disagrees with my views is wrong and awful and needs to go die in a fire kthnxbai.
Oh HELL no, you honey-sucking kodiak! You did not just bring shrimp into the argument! They're worse than lobster, having to crack open the shells and shit.

Shrimp is bad and you should feel bad for liking it!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

View attachment 6462

Also, NR, I have no intention or responsibility to treat someone who uses gay in the pejorative nicely.
Touché.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Sounds like typical teen speak.

Not saying that is all right, quite the opposite. I just know that's how teen boys talk...with very little thought to what they are actually saying.
Too true. Most laughable example I've ever heard: "Your mother is gay." *eyeroll*

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Oh HELL no, you honey-sucking kodiak! You did not just bring shrimp into the argument! They're worse than lobster, having to crack open the shells and shit.

Leviticus states that crustaceans are an abomination.... kinda like homosexuality.... If one is no longer a big deal, why is the other so bad too?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Pfft.

Give me a nice slice of freshwater herring or whitefish, smoked, just a dash of salt and succulent enough to melt in your mouth, then come back with your high-falooting aquarium fish and underwater vermin :p

Nah, just kidding... smoked fish, though? On a hot summer day, eating it with your fingers and a knife? Delicious.

LittleSin

LittleSin

This is a generational thing. The current "foolish or dumb" usage evolved from using it as an insult. IE, you're so gay, being gay is a horrible thing, therefore calling you gay means that you are inferior. It is the same way that retarded developed as a descriptor.
In that case the word has changed. I had never known it to be used as a derogatory until that whole campaign started and I believe I can say the same of the rest of my `class`.

It just seemed...harmful.

Dave

Dave

Sending him a PM. Don't go all nuclear on the guy. I am around a lot of teens with my daughter in high school and this is just how they talk. I'd be willing to bet that this person is not homophobic and would probably be mortified at our reactions. But I'll find out.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Sending him a PM. Don't go all nuclear on the guy. I am around a lot of teens with my daughter in high school and this is just how they talk. I'd be willing to bet that this person is not homophobic and would probably be mortified at our reactions. But I'll find out.
That's still no excuse to sound like an ignorant douchebag, but this boy entertains me, so this one, I keep. Besides, it might be one of Yoshi's buddies, so we can find out how Yoshi is doing.

Dave

Dave

He doesn't sound like an ignorant douchebag. He sounds like a teenage kid. Let's put the pitchforks away and try and make this a positive encounter instead of a negative one. A teaching moment, if you will.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, we can totally teach the kid what real douchebags sound like.

ElJuski

ElJuski

And teenage kids need to be taught to not sound like ignorant douchebags. I'm totally not for burning the boy at the stake, but I mean...come on.

But yes, yes. I'll stop. It'd be too easy to tear the little pup to pieces. I'm done :p

Dave

Dave

He's an Aussie. He won't be back on for a little while. It's like what, Monday already over there? :D

FnordBear

FnordBear

Why do I feel like this might be a case of

ElJuski

ElJuski

If it is, congratulations, I uh, guess.

SeraRelm

Too true. Most laughable example I've ever heard: "Your mother is gay." *eyeroll*
if we had a kid, ours would respond with "which one?"

SeraRelm

Also, Bronies at work.

fade

fade

You have to remove dumb and dummy from that list as well. Not trying to start anything, but a lot of these words have questionable origins. Lacking capability to speak = dumb = perceived as unintelligent = descriptor.

Like "moron", cretin and imbecile also derive from terms originally used to describe specific disorders. A cretin suffered from hypothyroidism, and an imbecile was a person with an IQ 26-50.

An idiot is a person who failed to participate in democracy in ancient Greece. It was also used medically to describe a person with an extremely low IQ (0-25).

Bowielee

Bowielee

Wow, there are no words. Nice justifications guys. You've totally convinced me that I should just be a good little homo and take it.

Screw off.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Bowielee You yourself said:
I for the same reason try to avoid the word retarded in the pejorative. I don't always succeed, but I try.
I think everyone's just trying to say this kid doesn't have this filter yet, and doesn't have the understanding the rest of us do. For him, the etymological root of fag is as obscure as imbecile is to us. No one is saying you should 'take it,' they are saying it is better to adopt the charitible interpretation that he doesn't know, than it is to take offense. Nobody here is going to back up homophobic slurs or play down the fact that such things are used to bash and marginalise gay people.

SeraRelm

To be fair, Bowielee, You don't seem very cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, or blithe.

Gay meant those things before it meant homosexual.

phil

phil

*sigh*

Ok, let's just all take a step back and count to ten real quick.

I don't think anyone is trying to justify using "gay" as an insult. Instead, I feel like people are just pouring out that one should not take the random postings of a high schooler with the perceived venom that hurtful words like that invoke. Anyone who says that they never said anything offensive like that as a kid is most likely being less than truthful. Meeting his words with attacks does little to solve the issue and promote a better understanding of one another.

And as Fade pointed out, words always have origins and those origins aren't always nice. If we strip away every word that could he used to cause offense, we won't have any left. Instead it's most likely better for us to realize this and understand that a word only has the power behind it that we allow it to have.

SeraRelm

Or, as I tend to view it, words, much like the societies which use them, evolve. It's the intent behind a word on which one should focus, not so much the word itself.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I also don't think anyone here is advocating that people go around using gay as an insult. Instead, they're explaining how someone who doesn't know better might not realize why they shouldn't, and that education is important.

Besides, at least you're not a thieving gypsy.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

"no, it's okay, he didn't literally mean fag as "a subhuman homosexual worse than a heterosexual", so it's alright" - an idiot

SeraRelm

"No, it's okay, he didn't literally mean fag as "a subhuman homosexual worse than a heterosexual", so it's alright"
Yeah, people who use exaggerations to defend a point say some pretty stupid stuff, I agree.

See also:

Covar

Covar

what's funny is I've seen people use Charlie's "idiotic" argument as an excuse for black people saying nigger, even here on this board.

SeraRelm

What part of Africa America are they from?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"no, it's okay, he didn't literally mean fag as "a subhuman homosexual worse than a heterosexual", so it's alright" - an idiot
Oh, we've missed you.

Covar

Covar

What part of Africa America are they from?
West Philadelphia, born and raised.

SeraRelm

So I'm African American?

Side note: The term African American is stupid.

Covar

Covar

You're on the playground, spent most of your days?

makare

My problem with the term African American is so many think it is synonymous with being black so even if they are talking about someone in England, India or even actual Africa they still say African American. That truly is idiotic.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think it's time for a little vacation from the boards before I go truely nuclear.

ElJuski

ElJuski

You know...I just better not get involved in this.

Dave

Dave

I think it's time for a little vacation from the boards before I go truely nuclear.
Dude, we're backing you up here in that it's not a good thing to say. What I'm saying is that the person in question did not necessarily mean it as you took it. I'm trying to bring a little calm to the situation. The dialogue may be what keeps him from using it in the future as he may not have realized the seriousness of the pejorative. We have always here been very tolerant of our LGBT brothers and sisters and that's not going to change. But before we go all pitchforks on the guy we need to show him understanding as well. If it turns out he is a homophobe I'll grab a fork and be right there with ya. Until then he's just a high school kid talking like a high school kid.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think things were fine before others started bringing in examples. Point was made by a few people last page of "he doesn't know what he's saying, let's educate" until people decided they needed to hammer in the point.

You curs.

Now someone can tell me how that was a derogatory term for something someday.

Bowielee

Bowielee

People are literally trying to justify usage of gay in the pejoritive. They're trotting out all the same tired old arguments that I hear over and over again. "language has evolved, get over it" and "other words used to meant something offensive at one point".

That is not backing me up.

Dave

Dave

You note I have not said this once. I am not defending the use of the words in any way, merely pointing out that - for right or wrong - this is how high school kids talk. And since high school kids by and large communicate mostly with other high school kids, he may not know what he's saying has that sort of negative effect on the LGBT community.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

People are literally trying to justify usage of gay in the pejoritive. They're trotting out all the same tired old arguments that I hear over and over again. "language has evolved, get over it" and "other words used to meant something offensive at one point".

I'll agree with you on that. I don't like the "language has evolved" defense either, but I would say that is a chance to educate as well.

Frank

Frank

I'm not defending the usage of the word, but language does evolve.

ElJuski

ElJuski

*shakes head* sometimes I feel like these forums have a fucked up sense of what to stick up for. Straight up post once in the thread to not use dumb bullshit terms like that, and go on with the thread. I think it's fascinating that people keep on tugging at an issue that obviously Bowie feels strongly about "because he's a high school kid". Especially when there are certain other words and topics that will definitely get your ass warned, banned, etc.

I mean, come on. There are several members on the forum that don't like the word faggot. Is it that hard to scratch it out of your vocabulary without any of this stupid ongoing justification?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, in defense of the kid, he never used the F word, so I don't even know where people are getting that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

True, but whatever. Point still stands, for a forum that just spent a few weeks whining and moaning about people "playing nice", the direction this thread took just makes me scratch my head.

SeraRelm

The word gay was adopted.. as in "evolved" though you may hate the term, to mean homosexuals. I don't really understand the anger at it moving on to mean something else entirely. I'm not saying the use of derogatory terms is proper, but it was taken from something else, so what claim do we have on it?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Sure, I can dig that, but I think all too many people on the internet are being post-modern about it. There's still this awful attitude against male homosexuality that gets propagated because people say its "okay". Gay doesn't just mean lame these days. People call each other, and other things, gay, because there's still a connection that homosexuality is wrong, and therefore, bad.

And for what it's worth, I don't think Halforums is really the place where this etymological evolution really needs to take place. Again, I find it hilarious that people normally so sensitive and angry about people being "mean" can sit around and say, "Oh who cares, get over it" about these slants against homosexuality.

Trust me, I won't lose sleep over it, but it definitely does make me wonder.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think I need to take a break from this thread.

I'm having a hard time erasing my sarcastic posts before posting them.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

ElJuski

ElJuski

Also, just as a bit of comparison, imagine how ridiculous it would be if I walked down the street and said, "Wassup my nigga!?" It means "brother" these days, after all. You know, evolution and whatnot.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Also, just as a bit of comparison, imagine how ridiculous it would be if I walked down the street and said, "Wassup my nigga!?" It means "brother" these days, after all. You know, evolution and whatnot.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, the words can be used in life, and they can be used for comedy, and they can be used to create provocative dissections of words and how they affect people. It doesn't give a bunch of wiener kids carte-blanche for perpetuating a vicious history.

Because, again, Louis CK wouldn't be walking around Section 8 housing saying, "Hey no, guys, its okay, it really is!"

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think people even realize how many times I came close to suicide as a teenager because I came out of the closet and gay was a constant insult thrown at me. So, basically, I don't have to like the "new usage" and I refuse to just let it go.

I'm going to go ahead and walk away for a while.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I know where you're coming from, to an extent Bowie. I know about persecution, however I've never understood letting people get to me with "words". I could sit in a room with people calling me whatever they wanted for hours and I would walk out and have a milkshake and eat some pussy. It wouldn't bother me.

I understand physical bullying but I've never understood the outcry of "We must stop verbal bullying" it's just words. I don't get it.

Frank

Frank

I like that show and that episode is good, but the flaming faggot thing isn't true.

Frank

Frank

I don't think people even realize how many times I came close to suicide as a teenager because I came out of the closet and gay was a constant insult thrown at me. So, basically, I don't have to like the "new usage" and I refuse to just let it go.

I'm going to go ahead and walk away for a while.
Dumb rambling edited out.

SeraRelm

To an extent, I agree, Shego.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Frank: I respect you far too much to post the quote from Stripes here... which makes this rather passive-aggressive?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I could sit in a room with people calling me whatever they wanted for hours and I would walk out and have a milkshake and eat some pussy. It wouldn't bother me.
Oh god... I was drinking soda when I read this.

IT BURNS.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I lost weight and decided to pick a career which has alienated me even more than being fat ever did with my friends and the people I used to hang out with.
So... he should join Westboro Baptist Church?

Frank

Frank

Frank: I respect you far too much to post the quote from Stripes here... which makes this rather passive-aggressive?
I have no idea which quote your referring to is, so I'll just say thanks?

SeraRelm

I would walk out and have a milkshake and eat some pussy. It wouldn't bother me..
Also, comfort food?:awesome:

MindDetective

MindDetective

I was responding to your comment about trying not to use "retarded" when you used "moron" in the same post. I don't like the use of the word gay as a pejorative either.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I have no idea which quote your referring to is, so I'll just say thanks?

Frank

Frank

My name isn't Francis. And I can't believe I forgot that scene.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was responding to your comment about trying not to use "retarded" when you used "moron" in the same post. I don't like the use of the word gay as a pejorative either.
I was quoting from Roget's thesaurus. The second that "gay" or "retarded" officially becomes a synonym in the thesaurus, I'll consider your point in the least bit valid.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I know where you're coming from, to an extent Bowie. I know about persecution, however I've never understood letting people get to me with "words". I could sit in a room with people calling me whatever they wanted for hours and I would walk out and have a milkshake and eat some pussy. It wouldn't bother me.

I understand physical bullying but I've never understood the outcry of "We must stop verbal bullying" it's just words. I don't get it.
Seeing as you are a self confessed sociopath, I wouldn't expect you to.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I was quoting from Roget's thesaurus. The second that "gay" or "retarded" officially becomes a synonym in the thesaurus, I'll consider your point in the least bit valid.
Main Entry: half-baked
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: stupid; not thought through
Synonyms: backward, batty, birdbrained, blockheaded,boneheaded, brainless, crazy, dumb, feeble-minded, foolish, harebrained, idiotic, ignorant,ill-conceived, imbecilic, impractical, indiscreet,moronic, poorly planned, retarded , senseless,short-sighted, silly, slow, sophomoric,underdeveloped, unformed, witless

Bowielee

Bowielee

Huh, I'll be damned.

So, I guess I'll just go ahead and calling thing retarded, even when I'm around mentally challenged people. They should really get over it, after all.

SeraRelm

Don't bother, MindDetective.

Bowielee, I like you, and I value your opinion, I truly do. The way you're coming at this situation though, it's all wrong. You may not like how a language changes over time, but it does. For better or worse, a word only holds as much meaning as a society places in it. Right now, that word, of which you have every right to find offensive in the context you see it, is changing to something else. I believe the people mentioning other words that went through similar changes are only trying to help you, not push you down or stifle you. I'm pretty sure we all want you to be happy (gay:awesome:) in the original sense of the word.

Side note, cute used to mean keenly perceptive or discerning, shrewd. Look at it now.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Also, I don't particularly enjoy posting this one but:

Main Entry: frivolous
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: trivial, silly
Synonyms:
barmy, childish, dizzy*, empty-headed,facetious, featherbrained, flighty, flip, flippant,foolish, gay , giddy*, harebrained, idiotic, idle,ill-considered, impractical, juvenile, light, light-minded, minor, niggling, nonserious, notserious, paltry, peripheral, petty, playful,pointless, puerile, scatterbrained, senseless,shallow, sportive, superficial, tongue-in-cheek,unimportant, unprofound, volatile, whimsical

I don't post the above to be hurtful, because I don't think the entry of gay as a synonym is meant to be so there, but it does convey the many shades of meaning that words have. I also don't condone the use of gay with the above meaning either, simply because there are much, much better words to use and that this particular word does have a lot of baggage with it and that people DO cross the meanings when they use it in this way quite often.

Words do hurt, and they are used senselessly and to bully, but they sometimes carry an intent that is harmless. That said, communication requires two people, the person speaking, using their words to convey their intent, and the person interpreting, who must be considered by the speaker.

Bowielee

Bowielee

For the record, that synonym for retarded under half-baked means something not fully formed. Not something stupid.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Huh, I'll be damned.

So, I guess I'll just go ahead and calling thing retarded, even when I'm around mentally challenged people. They should really get over it, after all.
I honestly hope you don't. I am certainly not advocating it. I hope you can see past the frustration of this particular topic and understand that I am very much on your side of the matter. Context is definitely important with these kinds of things, and that is all I hope to convey.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was obviously being sarcastic.

makare

Im sure the gay as silly is the light-hearted meaning that is used in I Feel Pretty.

The fact is some people don't know better and then some people simply do not care. The people who do not care don't feel any responsibility towards others for what they say and there isn't much you can do about it. It is probably best just to use words as kindly as possible and yes, disregard those who do not feel the need to.

MindDetective

MindDetective

For the record, that synonym for retarded under half-baked means something not fully formed. Not something stupid.
It is in the same array of words as moronic, silly, and idiotic.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I was obviously being sarcastic.
And I think if I were to be sarcastic back it would escalate things in a manner that I don't care to.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Words can be synonyms to some words, and not others, you know.

Chippy

Chippy

WHAT ARE YOU

MindDetective

MindDetective

Words can be synonyms to some words, and not others, you know.
I do.

SeraRelm

Chippy

Chippy

broken image for me
and where are those SRS image macros when you need them

SeraRelm

there.

Bowielee

Bowielee

At this point, we're both being pretty pedantic.

Look, hunker down kids, cause this is going to be a long one.

Anyone who reads these boards with any regularity know that I generally try to keep a level head about things. I try my best to be somewhat impartial and consider all sides in an argument. I'm more than willing to consider other people's side of things. There are very few issues where I flip my shit. This happens to be the one that sends me straight over the deep end.

Shego, I'd like to particularly direct this part to you. Remember a few threads back when I made a generic comment about someone's mother being nice and you flipped your shit and went on a rampage about how much you hate her? That's basically what this whole issue does for me.

There is a LOT of personal baggage that is at play here. On a fully intelectual level, I actually do understand all the arguments, and if I take myself outside myself, I can somewhat understand where many are coming from.

But quite frankly, when I hear that phrase, I feel like all the work I've done my entire life of fighting a system that hates me for merely existing is all for nothing. I don't think many of you understand just how widespread homophobia is. Yes, I know that homophobia is pretty much a misnomer as it's come to mean predudice against gay people, rather than fear of gay people (hey, look at that, I understand word evolution). I see the acceptence of the whole "that's so gay" thing as a direct slap in the face for every single stride I've made in my life. It's not even the phrase itself, it's what it represents. Gay people have gained a hell of a lot of face acceptence in the media and such, but really I see under that veneer sometimes because people don't generally realize I'm gay and talk they way they would with other straight guys with no women around.

Is everybody like that? no. But all this happening every day has a cumulative effect to the point where sometimes, I just want to scream.

So, basically, I'm walking around with this big emotional scab that gets picked at almost every day. And the second someone touches it, I react like someone who's been hurt because I AM someone who's been hurt.

TLDNR version

I realize I've been kind of a dick about this, but I still have reasons for being a dick about this.

Covar

Covar

How did gay and faggot come to mean homosexual anyway? I see the link with queer, but I can't for the life of me see how we got from "happy/silly/frivolous" and "cigarettes/bundle of sticks" to "person attracted to opposite sex".

SeraRelm

Some of us do understand how wide spread it is and some of us have been hurt (in some form or another) because of that. I'm pretty sure we all know you take it personally as well. As you expect others to take this into consideration, please consider your reactions to those who don't have any intentions of hurting your feelings.

Bowielee

Bowielee

How did gay and nice gay person come to mean homosexual anyway? I see the link with queer, but I can't for the life of me see how we got from "happy/silly/frivolous" and "cigarettes/bundle of sticks" to "person attracted to opposite sex".
The etymology of that one is one of the reasons it drives me even more bonkers than the subject at hand. Gay people used to be burned alive, like chord wood. Easy enough etymology.

SeraRelm

The etymology of that one is one of the reasons it drives me even more bonkers than the subject at hand. Gay people used to be burned alive, like chord wood. Easy enough etymology.

Bowielee

Bowielee

What, he asked, I answered. That's the actual etymology of the word.

Now the etymology of the word dyke, i have idea where that came from.

SeraRelm

Dam(n) dykes, stealin' all the hot girls...

But no, it's possibly a shortened form of morphadike, dialectal garbling of hermaphrodite, or a shortened term for bulldyker* which was used by blacks in the early 1920s meaning "to engage in lesbian activities." Before that, there isn't much mention.

*(in a pejorative manner)

Frank

Frank

That isn't true though. Burning was never a punishment for gays. It's as much an urban legend as fornication under consent of the king.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Bowielee - 1# You got me on the sociopathy, I realize I don't connect with others on how they see the "emotional world", but at the same time, on a logical stand-point, it makes zero sense why anyone should have any kind of power over you with just the sounds that come out of their mouth. I honestly just always wrote it off as "ignorant childish antics" or "they don't mean the term the way they're using it". To say someone ended their life (as has been happening) because of verbal abuse, it just baffles me. Which we already covered so that was basically just a circular logic conversation I had with myself.

2# If you think I was "flipping my shit" when someone talks about mothers you misunderstood, there's zero anger. I honestly bathe in the pleasure knowing that her physical and mental state has plummeted to the depths of nightmare. Why would knowing someone suffer bring me the least bit of anger?

Frank

Frank

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=nice gay person

Your big url there doesn't lead anywhere.

I'm not disagreeing with Bowie about his distaste for the words themselves. That I completely understand. Just on the word's origins.

Ha ha ha, ok, it's funny that the censorship dealie wrecks the urls. Replace nice gay person with the long form version of the unfuck f-word.

SeraRelm

lol, the filter changed the word in the link URL. I was just posting the entry for it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I had heard that as the etymology of the word since before I even knew what one was... hmm... Pre-internet life knowledge , you have failed me once again.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Just to be annoying: while I can't determine what the intention of the post oh-so-long-ago was, I find it weird so many people here are saying "teenagers talking like teenagers do", "he may not know it's hurtful", etc. Sure, that can happen. But in my experience, a LOT of what teenage boys say IS meant to harm/hurt. It's probably the easiest way to feel superior to someone - push the other one down. Much easier than trying to actually be a better person. The average HALOtard (see what I did there?) may call his buddies "gay" or " fag" ironically, but he'll use it as an intentional attack in other cases. May not realize how bad it is, but still. The difference between calling the guy with the glasses four-eyes or the boy who's a bit more effeminate "gay" (because actual sexual preference doesn't matter in this context) may not be clear for him, but we should be aware.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Bubble, I think we can all agree teenagers don't have their heads screwed on right. God forbid, we were all teenagers once...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am just smh at this thread except for like Bowie and ElJ's posts.

fade

fade

I know I wasn't trying to justify anything at all. I was merely pointing out that your argument applies to a lot of the words in your list of acceptable synonyms. That in no way means that your argument isn't right and just. Be offended by it. Be rightly offended by it. But also realize that many of the words that you offered as acceptable alternatives have questionable origins as well. I didn't address "gay" at all.

SeraRelm

I am just smh at this thread except for like Bowie and ElJ's posts.
CSB.TIA?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Again, this is how I would have handled it.

YO, DON'T USE HOMOPHOBIC SLANTS, EVEN IF YOU MEANT IT OR NOT, SOME PEOPLE GET TICKED OFF ABOUT IT.

And then we wouldn't be spinning our wheels in this awful, head-scratching turn in conversation. Again, I thought we all agreed to play a bit more nice, which means not being a dick when someone is obviously upset about something, like the use of hurtful words, whether you are hurt by them or not.

SeraRelm

Slants is a racially insensitive pejorative toward those of asiatic descent.

We are sorry for ElJuski 's comment.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't feel offended though, but thanks for the apology.

Wait, now I do feel offended. Delayed reaction.

Ok, now I don't feel offended any more.

And now I'm confused.

About many things.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What did we learn in the thread tonight, Craig? (meow)

Everything is a slur. Everything is offensive.

Therefore, Dave has no other option but to shut the site down, effective immediately. :p

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm just saying, if you really think that it's a slippery slope and that everything is offensive, that's...not the case.

SeraRelm

Slope is a racially insensitive pejorative toward those of asiatic descent.

We are sorry for ElJuski 's comment.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This thread and the lady assassin after Austin Powers here have a lot in common:

SeraRelm

BACK ON SUBJECT!

GasBandit

GasBandit

LittleSin

LittleSin

Th-that's a puppet.

Right?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Th-that's a puppet.

Right?
Well, it's hard to tell, but... if we infer size from the length of the grass around its feet... it appears to be appropriately sized for an object the diameter of an average forearm to be put in, with room to spare.

Not that that guarantees it's a puppet. Maybe that's just where you're supposed to put the fleshlight.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wouldn't they have made the thing out of polyester or something else in that case? Something that was washer/dryer safe. You wouldn't want to have to explain stains on a My Little Pony doll if your a 18+ male.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey guys!

Well, see ya.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Completely and totally NSFW etc etc dirty woids 'bout doin' ponies

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wouldn't they have made the thing out of polyester or something else in that case? Something that was washer/dryer safe. You wouldn't want to have to explain stains on a My Little Pony doll if your a 18+ male.
An 18+ male has already passed that point of no return by having a My Little Pony doll at all.

Hey guys!

(Drifter posted what Gasbandit posted way before Gasbandit but in another thread, complete with... a more accurate measuring analogue)

Well, see ya.
Huh. Well, shows what I get for staying out of a thread labeled "zoophilia." In other news, never mind. Definitely NOT A PUPPET. Confirmed by Banana.

Frank

Frank

Well, clop is now the worst word in the English language. Worse than any and all words before and after it.

Thanks bronies.

makare

You can wash stuffed animals

Dave

Dave

You can wash stuffed animals
I'd rather not have to.

Mathias

Mathias

I didn't know what a Brony (ie)? was so I looked it up.

Yeah they're freaks.

They're like the retarded step-brothers of Furries ( and that's pretty damn 'tarded).

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Honestly, the average brony/furry is the same as any other fandom, be it nerdy or sports. The difference is in how far you take it. I don't care what you're into as long as you don't get all uppity 'cause I don't care for it.

Mathias

Mathias

Honestly, the average brony/furry is the same as any other fandom, be it nerdy or sports. The difference is in how far you take it. I don't care what you're into as long as you don't get all uppity 'cause I don't care for it.

JA-BRONIES!??!??!?!!

Jabroni!

ElJuski

ElJuski

oh my god

nerds

Mathias

Mathias

I was going to post Ogre... but when I typed "nerds" into Google image search this came up:

Tony Stark is not a fucking nerd.

ElJuski

ElJuski

they can be socially awkward and parse out wordy bon-mots, though!

Mathias

Mathias

EXCELSIOR!

makare

I wash my stuffed animals because they get dusty, not spoogy.

Shakey

Shakey

That's what I say about my penis too. It's so dusty I wash the fuck out of it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They make treatments for that.

makare

There isn't enough treatment to get the dust off you poe....

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

makare

Usually I find Jack pretty sexy but that image is just creepy...

Chippy

Chippy

Bronies are the worst.

Hylian

Hylian

Bronies are the worst.

Chippy

Chippy

"I like My Little Pony"
"Uh, Ok."
"Yeah, I'm a grown man and I watch it! You got a problem with that?!"
"Not really."
"YEAH WELL I DON'T CARE I'M DIFFERENT"

makare

I feel the same about bronies as I do about any fan group. I am fine when they are at the "I like it!" level. They start creeping me out at the, "I live it!" level.

Mathias

Mathias

My daughter watches My Little Pony. The show is on the same level as WaWaWubbzy and Fresh Beat Band. I don't know why a grown man would enjoy it.

Bronies are freaks.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

My daughter watches My Little Pony. The show is on the same level as WaWaWubbzy and Fresh Beat Band. I don't know why a grown man would enjoy it.

Bronies are freaks.
My brother's daughter watches it too. His sons won't because it's "little girl TV". From the mouths of babes....

wana10

My brother's daughter watches it too. His sons won't because it's "little girl TV". From the mouths of babes....
so, what you're saying is we should continue to pass judgement on things using the same logic and reasoning(or lack thereof) we had when we were children?

SeraRelm

It's hard to discuss something like that with someone who has a Cat-Bus avatar, I'd think. :awesome:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

so, what you're saying is we should continue to pass judgement on things using the same logic and reasoning(or lack thereof) we had when we were children?
Nope, I'm simply quoting my brother's kids. Take that as you will.

ElJuski

ElJuski

"I like My Little Pony"
"Uh, Ok."
"Yeah, I'm a grown man and I watch it! You got a problem with that?!"
"Not really."
"YEAH WELL I DON'T CARE I'M DIFFERENT"
This. Like many internet nerd things, it feels like such an obnoxious affectation.

Mathias

Mathias

Pass judgement that I (a 30 something, male) has watched the show, and is telling you that the Brony excuse for it being "good TV" is just an excuse for weirdos to get their jollies off on cartoon ponies. It's not a good show, it's the same caliber as many other kids' shows.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Out of curiosity (and the fact that they just added the show to Netflix streaming) I decided to check out a few episodes. It's a solid show, on par with any of the kid's shows of it's kind like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Danny Phantom, etc... It's a great kids show that I can see why it has an adult appeal as well.

At least it made me laugh, which is more than I can say for most shows on TV.

SeraRelm

Out of curiosity (and the fact that they just added the post to my alerts list) I decided to check out a few posts. It's a solid post, on par with any of the kid's posts of it's kind like Mathias' Rant for Imaginary Slights, Gassy Bandit, etc... It's a great kids post that I can see why it has an adult appeal as well.

At least it made me laugh, which is more than I can say for most posts on HF.

Gusto

Gusto

I watched the first season just to see what all the hubbub was about. It made me laugh out loud maybe 2-3 times and miss Dexter's Lab and the Powerpuff Girls.

And that was my reaction.

Hylian

Hylian

I must say I find the fact that this thread refuses to die rather amusing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I must say I find the fact that this thread refuses to die rather amusing.
Yeah, it's so ga----

Adam

Adam

Yeah, it's so ga----
--lling that it refuses to accept its best buy date has expired?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope it gets bumped by a sincere brony with an image macro again

BananaHands

BananaHands

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

What happened to the Skrillex/Dubstep Brony Nightmare?

drifter

drifter

According to his Twitter, he's in "Swag city, bitches."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Out of curiosity (and the fact that they just added the show to Netflix streaming) I decided to check out a few episodes. It's a solid show, on par with any of the kid's shows of it's kind like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Danny Phantom, etc... It's a great kids show that I can see why it has an adult appeal as well.

At least it made me laugh, which is more than I can say for most shows on TV.
I find myself laughing at it more often than because of its jokes unfortunately. And then I feel bad, because I'm doing MST3k riffing to a children's cartoon.

It's a decent show; not terrible like some of the shit my cousins watch on Disney channel. There are nightmares there that hurt to witness.

BananaHands

BananaHands

At least it made me laugh, which is more than I can say for most posts on HF.

Frank

Frank

ElJuski

ElJuski

I wish I knew how to make .gifs to counteract yours, Bananadicks.

Mathias

Mathias

I find myself laughing at it more often than because of its jokes unfortunately. And then I feel bad, because I'm doing MST3k riffing to a children's cartoon.

It's a decent show; not terrible like some of the shit my cousins watch on Disney channel. There are nightmares there that hurt to witness.

YOU WILL NOT TALK THAT WAY ABOUT WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE!

Frank

Frank

Brozards unite?

FnordBear

FnordBear

So yeah. I watched both seasons I admit. Got some teasing from the woman for it. When she asked why I watched the whole thing, the only reason I could really give was the show felt innocent. To me it was funny without trying too hard, some characters were a bit easy to identify with, and at least to me it didn't stoop to vulgarity for humor. A solid kid's show I would let any kid watch.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I really don't think anyone has issue with the show. People have issue with the obnoxiousness of nerds hoping to be innocent, ironic, and original by watching a kid's show about ponies.

Mathias

Mathias

I really don't think anyone has issue with the show. People have issue with the obnoxiousness of nerds hoping to be innocent, ironic, and original by watching a kid's show about ponies.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I bent my wookie.

Frank

Frank

It's shit like this.

Look how unique and special we are!

Mathias

Mathias

They have conventions?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Yes.

And they have big representation at other more obscure cons.

makare

heh I like that buffalo

Mathias

Mathias

my daughter is forbidden to watch My Little Pony from this day forth.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

my daughter is forbidden to watch My Little Pony from this day forth.
The show should be safe, just don't let her with in a mile of fan sites.

Frank

Frank

You mean shit like this (thanks Shawn Elliott, boss of internet mockery):

makare

at first i thought it was the blue screen of death and i was truly scared.

Frank

Frank

I fixed it. Be warned.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh thank god it's a link, not an image. I have one last opportunity to make the choice to not click and OH GOD WHY DID I CLICK IT?

BErt

WHY DID I NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE SPOILER TAGS?!

HOW DID I GET NINJA'D BY CHECKEREDHAT!?

makare

hehe you guys are so funny. I've seen way weirder shit than that... earlier today actually.

Damn internet and my damn curiosity.

Hylian

Hylian

Meh I have seen way weirder things on the Internet than that but for those who clicked on it and are in need of some relief here you go,

http://www.eyebleach.com/

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

There are only three threads that are active enough right now I'm getting alerts. It says a lot about the other two that I was GLAD to see an alert pop up for this one.

drifter

drifter

Terrik

Terrik

Funnily enough Drifter, I actually paused for a moment--just a moment!-- when I saw the tag "Have you seen what I put behind spoilers before?"

Indeed I have.

But curiosity ....

still killed this cat.

D:

Frank

Frank

Alright, I was like, "How can Drifter's site be worse than guys taking pictures of their cum covered My Little Pony dolls?"

Then I saw a picture of a man's penis in the mouth of a horse. Well played sir.

SeraRelm

1 point from House Drifter!
Lack of NSFW being typed into the spoiler tags.
1 point from House Frank!

Frank

Frank

1 point from House Drifter!
1 point from House Frank!
What's this fuckin' bullshit?

Terrik

Terrik

She's takin points from your house man, keep up!

Frank

Frank

She's takin points from your house man, keep up!
But my house did nothing wrong.

FnordBear

FnordBear

*clicks Drifter's link*

*shrugs*

Seen better.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But my house did nothing wrong.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Once in a while, I think my sexual interests aren't all 100% perfeclty normal. Thank god for the internet to show me just how relatively innocent anything I could imagine masturbating to is, relative to what's out there.

...Seriously, they're drawn ponies. WTF?!

Frank

Frank

!

The comment section is fucking incredible.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I love the first interviewee freely admitting that he spanks it to cartoon ponies...

If any of you guys have a Brony shirt... burn it now.

Frank

Frank

Best comment I read there:

"You have to be open-minded to understand masturbating to horses, sometimes even underaged horses."

Rovewin

Rovewin

Best comment I read there:

"You have to be open-minded to understand masturbating to horses, sometimes even underaged horses."
I'm sure they are very mature for their age

Dear lord I can't believe all the things people freely admit to doing. It sounds like most of them were dressed up as a pony so they probably would be the most extreme of the fandom but still.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Gusto

Gusto

I can't believe this thread is still going.
Bronies are still freaks. :problemo:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

WHY WON'T THIS THREAD DIE!?

Dammit, we need some really intensive controversy in here. Sooo...

Steaks. I like them medium rare. You?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Let's get this bitch locked down!

Chippy

Chippy

bronies are the woooooooooooooooooooooorst

Gusto

Gusto

bronies are the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Wellllll....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But we watch it for the plot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bronies.
Bestiality and Pedophilia rolled into one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They're very mature for their neighs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're very mature for their neighs.
No.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

:D

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

i wonder how many people in horse costumes fucked this past weekend in San Diego

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I try not to think of that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

i wonder how many people in horse costumes fucked this past weekend last month in San Diego Pittsburgh
Fixed. :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

i wonder how many people in horse costumes fucked this past weekend in San Diego
So many.

Bubble181

Bubble181

OKay, so I came back here (god know why), and remembered I hadn't clicked through on Drifter's second link, what with being at work at the time and all.

Guys in horse suits are one thing, actual horses? Come on, people, that's not bronies, that's bestiality plain and simple.

Chippy

Chippy

yeah but it's not real horse rape if the horses are drunk

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

yeah but it's not real horse rape if the horses are drunk

Dude... stop it.

Chippy

Chippy

GasBandit

GasBandit

Carrying a grudge from thread to thread is a HF foul.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Carrying a grudge from thread to thread is a HF tradition.
FTFY
This is why we can't have nice things.

Chippy

Chippy

pretty sure half the things I do or have ever done are/have been HF fouls.

Bubble181

Bubble181

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yes. Yes. Give in to your trolling, Chippy. Do it. Strike this thread down! Burn it to the ground!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yes. Yes. Give in to your trolling, Chippy. Do it. Strike this thread down! Burn it to the ground!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Dang people, you're encouraging him instead of FEEDING him. In this case we must feed the troll! This thread must die!

Chippy, Foul may be your middle name.

BErt

His name is Chippy Foul Johnson?

Chippy

Chippy

pretty much

Troll

Troll

Dang people, you're encouraging him instead of FEEDING him. In this case we must feed the troll! This thread must die!
Here, let me take a crack at it.

*ahem*

Bronies are pathetic losers. I mean, goddamn. Spanking it to cartoon ponies has to be the ultimate low point in your life. Virgins in their 40's living with their parents have to look at that and go "Eh, could be worse."

Chippy

Chippy

i mean kinda

strawman

strawman

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Here, let me take a crack at it.

*ahem*

Bronies are pathetic losers. I mean, goddamn. Spanking it to cartoon ponies has to be the ultimate low point in your life. Virgins in their 40's living with their parents have to look at that and go "Eh, could be worse."
At least they are not playing Dungeons & Dragons.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Stop beating (off) the dead horse,please.

Timmus

Timmus

Stop beating (off to) the dead horse,please.
Fixed.