'Firefly' stars reunite for crowdfunded Web series

"You'll get to stream the whole series as much as you want in hi-def over at Vimeo On Demand before it is available for the public purchase, and for 90 days after it has been released to the public."

So you don't even get the option to keep it after you've paid for it? Fuck off.

GasBandit

Staff member
"You'll get to stream the whole series as much as you want in hi-def over at Vimeo On Demand before it is available for the public purchase, and for 90 days after it has been released to the public."

So you don't even get the option to keep it after you've paid for it? Fuck off.
I have to agree. Also, Vimeo on demand? Vimeo's the ghetto Youtube. If you don't think Youtube will fairly split the ad revenue with you, then you should probably go the itunes or hulu or possibly netflix route. Going to watch something on Vimeo always feels like I'm driving to the wrong side of town to try to buy something out of the back of a truck from a guy with an indistinct slavic accent.

Going to watch something on Vimeo always feels like I'm driving to the wrong side of town to try to buy something out of the back of a truck from a guy with an indistinct slavic accent.
For me, going to Vimeo for stuff feels like not constantly having to see "Please sign in to confirm your age" all the time.

--Patrick

I have to agree. Also, Vimeo on demand? Vimeo's the ghetto Youtube. If you don't think Youtube will fairly split the ad revenue with you, then you should probably go the itunes or hulu or possibly netflix route. Going to watch something on Vimeo always feels like I'm driving to the wrong side of town to try to buy something out of the back of a truck from a guy with an indistinct slavic accent.
Thats so weird to hear you say because everyone in the animation industry or media arts or graphic design will tell you vimeo is by far the more dignified place to put your demo reel/ presentation. You will reach more people on youtube but for all professional uses you are strongly advised to stick with vimeo.

GasBandit

Staff member
For me, going to Vimeo for stuff feels like not constantly having to see "Please sign in to confirm your age" all the time.

--Patrick
Yeah, that side of the tracks, you don't get carded near as often.

However, "signing in" to youtube isn't a problem for me, seeing as how I'm a Partner. Hell, they have my bank account.[DOUBLEPOST=1426098888,1426098760][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thats so weird to hear you say because everyone in the animation industry or media arts or graphic design will tell you vimeo is by far the more dignified place to put your demo reel/ presentation. You will reach more people on youtube but for all professional uses you are strongly advised to stick with vimeo.
Sounds like hipsters talking about that quaint coffee shop nobody goes to, to me :p There's a lot of times I'll skip watching something if it's on vimeo, and wait for the inevitable youtube transcode. And don't even get me started about liveleak. In this metaphor, they're the straight up drug dealer on the sidewalk in broad daylight.

I'd prefer to think of LiveLeak as The Enquirer, Vimeo as People Magazine, and YouTube as The New Yorker.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
They make SO much more money than me there's no way I'd ever give them towards this.

I want to watch it, I like both actors and the idea sounds nice, but....On demand and whatever? No thanks.
I don't understand there isn't a simple pledge level that's just plain 'you get the DVD box' or at the very least 'you can download all of the episodes'. I'm not paying to watch something once.

GasBandit

Staff member
I want to watch it, I like both actors and the idea sounds nice, but....On demand and whatever? No thanks.
I don't understand there isn't a simple pledge level that's just plain 'you get the DVD box' or at the very least 'you can download all of the episodes'. I'm not paying to watch something once.
Well, unless it's in a theater. But your point was made expertly before by the public at large via the complete flop of the divx dvd system.

I'm not paying to watch something once.
The idea behind kickstarter is that you're not doing that, at all. You're giving money to help fund something that you want to be funded. That you get anything in return are just incentives.

That said, I'll probably pirate it when it comes out.

GasBandit

Staff member
The idea behind kickstarter is that you're not doing that, at all. You're giving money to help fund something that you want to be funded. That you get anything in return are just incentives.

That said, I'll probably pirate it when it comes out.
Almost every single kickstarter (though this is indiegogo, that may be an important difference or it might be splitting hairs) that I've seen included a copy of whatever it is you are backing at around the $20 level. I certainly have never seen, much less backed, a software kickstarter that didn't give me a copy for doing so.

Meh, I would appreciate being able to keep the episodes to watch whenever I want but I like the actors enough that I am willing to chuck a few bucks at their project.

Almost every single kickstarter (though this is indiegogo, that may be an important difference or it might be splitting hairs) that I've seen included a copy of whatever it is you are backing at around the $20 level. I certainly have never seen, much less backed, a software kickstarter that didn't give me a copy for doing so.
Indiegogo means they can opt to keep the money even if they don't reach their funding goals.

Indiegogo means they can opt to keep the money even if they don't reach their funding goals.
Which they did, though their goal was low enough they were pretty much assured of going over, probably several times. (they're already unlocking stretch goals)

Yeah, I expected it would have gotten funded within the first day or so once word got around. I just wanted to mention that difference, since it seems like a decent number of people aren't aware of it.

Next stretch goal is DVD/BR perk. We'll have to wait and see at what price point it comes, but if it's reasonable, I'll just consider it a pre-order. Which goes a bit against my principles, but I'm willing to bend a bit if these two are involved :p