[Contest] FIFA World Cup Contest

:minionhappy:

Okay, entered my picks. I predicted an England win against Italy, okay?

Also, if anyone's curious, it's predicted that the scores this year will be higher than the World Cup four years ago. This is because the ball used this time is more similar in structure and texture to the balls used in competitions in Europe and South America, so players will be more accustomed to its timing and trajectories.

Last edited:
Also, if anyone's curious, it's predicted that the scores this year will be higher than the World Cup four years ago. This is because the ball used this time is more similar in structure and texture to the balls used in competitions in Europe and South America, so players will be more accustomed to its timing and trajectories.
Also, we all hope there's higher scores than last time around, because all that defensive play is booooo-riiiing :-P

(but you're right. I've heard some player comments, and this ball is much easier to move about than last time's.)[DOUBLEPOST=1402587056,1402587001][/DOUBLEPOST]And I predicted an England-over-Italy-win too. But Italy'll make it to the semi-finals and England won't. You'll see.

Dave

Staff member
The ball is easier to move than the players and spectators. With striking airport and metro workers, Brazil right now is a clusterfuck.

And now Anonymous is DDoSing World Cup web sites.[DOUBLEPOST=1402587197,1402587103][/DOUBLEPOST]I have Germany winning it all over Argentina.

I can only pick matches in the next 3 days on the HF one, is there somewhere else to pick everything through the final? or is it just matches as they happen?

Dave

Staff member
I can only pick matches in the next 3 days on the HF one, is there somewhere else to pick everything through the final? or is it just matches as they happen?
If you click the "FIFA World Cup" on the left, it'll take you to all the first round matches.

Also, we all hope there's higher scores than last time around, because all that defensive play is booooo-riiiing :-P

(but you're right. I've heard some player comments, and this ball is much easier to move about than last time's.)[DOUBLEPOST=1402587056,1402587001][/DOUBLEPOST]And I predicted an England-over-Italy-win too. But Italy'll make it to the semi-finals and England won't. You'll see.
Hmmm, I haven't entered any match where a country scores more than 3 goals in a match.. Maybe I should liven things up

Yeah Croatia looked really good. I was expecting the flare and finesse that Brazil has shown in the past world cups but I did not see that today. They started passive and while they will get out of groups I don't think they will get too far past it unless they start picking it up.

Harsh referee but Pletikosa was terrible. He didn't move his feet on the 1st and 3rd goals and didn't punch the ball on the PK.

Dave

Staff member
Jesus. Mexico getting royally screwed by the refs. Two disallowed goals?

And some of the stadiums aren't finished.

Er, wouldn't you have got 3 points for the opener then?[DOUBLEPOST=1402683339,1402683300][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, if I hadn't mistyped just now and actually scored it 3-0 :p

ITT I stay uncomfortably close to Dave.
I can understand the flappy hooties as an umbrella start to look attractive somewhere around minute 60 of this match. Man, I know a lot of people who misjudged Brazilian weather (they really seem not to realize it's almost winter over there) and are complaining about it on FB.

Dave

Staff member
Well I called this game wrong. I had Spain winning 2-1 and right now they are down 3-1.

Well I called this game wrong. I had Spain winning 2-1 and right now they are down 3-1.
I put down 2-1 as well. Darn Dutchies. I'd prefer the Dutch winning, but they weren't all that eager. Oh well, winning from the current champion will definitely get the Orange Madness back in gear.

I thought I was crazy predicting a Dutch victory. Glad to see they pulled it out. Even though they scored way more then I thought they would, I was still cheering throughout.

Anyway what is up no one wearing their colors? No red spain, no orange dutch. It just felt odd not seeing them in their classic colors.

Not any more! Did you really bet on Australia to win?!?
I knew it was a mistake as I was doing it but I just had a feeling Australia were going to surprise people. Besides what's the point of a competition like this one if you don't occasionally go for the long shot underdog?

Dave

Staff member
Blast! I has Italy winning 2-1 but changed it to England winning 2-1 when I heard about Italy's goalkeeper being out. Damn, damn, damn!

Woo, picked up 2 points right at the death of Switzerland - Ecuador. Also who says football always ends with a boring 0-0 draw, 9 games no draws & only 2 teams out of 18 to play so far haven't scored a goal. Now that's what I like to see at a WC!

Dave

Staff member
I had the Swiss winning 2-1 so that's great! Now I have the French winning 3-0 and that might have been too low!