Export thread

FIFA World Cup Contest

Dave

Dave

I know we have a group on Yahoo, but if you don't have a Yahoo account or want to do it here go right ahead.

Winner gets $25.

https://www.halforums.com/xfsoccer/

Sorry I didn't do it sooner, I forgot I could add other leagues!

bhamv3

bhamv3

:minionhappy:

Okay, entered my picks. I predicted an England win against Italy, okay?

Also, if anyone's curious, it's predicted that the scores this year will be higher than the World Cup four years ago. This is because the ball used this time is more similar in structure and texture to the balls used in competitions in Europe and South America, so players will be more accustomed to its timing and trajectories.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, if anyone's curious, it's predicted that the scores this year will be higher than the World Cup four years ago. This is because the ball used this time is more similar in structure and texture to the balls used in competitions in Europe and South America, so players will be more accustomed to its timing and trajectories.
Also, we all hope there's higher scores than last time around, because all that defensive play is booooo-riiiing :-P

(but you're right. I've heard some player comments, and this ball is much easier to move about than last time's.)[DOUBLEPOST=1402587056,1402587001][/DOUBLEPOST]And I predicted an England-over-Italy-win too. But Italy'll make it to the semi-finals and England won't. You'll see.

Dave

Dave

The ball is easier to move than the players and spectators. With striking airport and metro workers, Brazil right now is a clusterfuck.

And now Anonymous is DDoSing World Cup web sites.[DOUBLEPOST=1402587197,1402587103][/DOUBLEPOST]I have Germany winning it all over Argentina.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can only pick matches in the next 3 days on the HF one, is there somewhere else to pick everything through the final? or is it just matches as they happen?

Dave

Dave

I can only pick matches in the next 3 days on the HF one, is there somewhere else to pick everything through the final? or is it just matches as they happen?
If you click the "FIFA World Cup" on the left, it'll take you to all the first round matches.

Jax

Jax

Also, we all hope there's higher scores than last time around, because all that defensive play is booooo-riiiing :-P

(but you're right. I've heard some player comments, and this ball is much easier to move about than last time's.)[DOUBLEPOST=1402587056,1402587001][/DOUBLEPOST]And I predicted an England-over-Italy-win too. But Italy'll make it to the semi-finals and England won't. You'll see.
Hmmm, I haven't entered any match where a country scores more than 3 goals in a match.. Maybe I should liven things up

mikerc

mikerc

:minionhappy:

Okay, entered my picks. I predicted an England win against Italy, okay?
No! :mad:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I missed the opener, but did all of the prelim games.

Dave

Dave

Croatia got screwed bad by the refs.

Dave

Dave

But I called it 3:1 Brazil so I can't bitch too loudly.

Rovewin

Rovewin

Yeah Croatia looked really good. I was expecting the flare and finesse that Brazil has shown in the past world cups but I did not see that today. They started passive and while they will get out of groups I don't think they will get too far past it unless they start picking it up.

Jay

Jay

Harsh referee but Pletikosa was terrible. He didn't move his feet on the 1st and 3rd goals and didn't punch the ball on the PK.

Dave

Dave

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Dave

Dave

Jesus. Mexico getting royally screwed by the refs. Two disallowed goals?

And some of the stadiums aren't finished.

Dave

Dave

Again the refs sucked, but I called it Mexico 1-0 so I guess I was right again!

Cog

Cog

Bad refs and Dave is winning? Coincidence?

mikerc

mikerc

Again the refs sucked, but I called it Mexico 1-0 so I guess I was right again!
I am likewise happy with this terrible officiating.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bah. Bet 2-0. And I had the first one at 3-1. Each time, so close, yet somehow only one point instead of two. Pfuh!

Dave

Dave

I am likewise happy with this terrible officiating.
What?!? I was hoping to distance myself from you!

mikerc

mikerc

Bah. Bet 2-0. And I had the first one at 3-1. Each time, so close, yet somehow only one point instead of two. Pfuh!
Er, wouldn't you have got 3 points for the opener then?[DOUBLEPOST=1402683339,1402683300][/DOUBLEPOST]
What?!? I was hoping to distance myself from you!
ITT I stay uncomfortably close to Dave.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Er, wouldn't you have got 3 points for the opener then?[DOUBLEPOST=1402683339,1402683300][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, if I hadn't mistyped just now and actually scored it 3-0 :p

I can understand the flappy hooties as an umbrella start to look attractive somewhere around minute 60 of this match. Man, I know a lot of people who misjudged Brazilian weather (they really seem not to realize it's almost winter over there) and are complaining about it on FB.

Dave

Dave

Well I called this game wrong. I had Spain winning 2-1 and right now they are down 3-1.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well I called this game wrong. I had Spain winning 2-1 and right now they are down 3-1.
I put down 2-1 as well. Darn Dutchies. I'd prefer the Dutch winning, but they weren't all that eager. Oh well, winning from the current champion will definitely get the Orange Madness back in gear.

Dave

Dave

5-1. Holy shit!

Rovewin

Rovewin

I thought I was crazy predicting a Dutch victory. Glad to see they pulled it out. Even though they scored way more then I thought they would, I was still cheering throughout.

Anyway what is up no one wearing their colors? No red spain, no orange dutch. It just felt odd not seeing them in their classic colors.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I predict a football (aka: soccer) team will win!

Jax

Jax

5-1. Holy shit!
Them goals :eek:

Even in The Netherlands nobody expected them to win. When I wake up tomorrow though, the whole country'll probably be covered in orange

Dave

Dave

Not any more! Did you really bet on Australia to win?!?

mikerc

mikerc

Not any more! Did you really bet on Australia to win?!?
I knew it was a mistake as I was doing it but I just had a feeling Australia were going to surprise people. Besides what's the point of a competition like this one if you don't occasionally go for the long shot underdog?

Dave

Dave

Blast! I has Italy winning 2-1 but changed it to England winning 2-1 when I heard about Italy's goalkeeper being out. Damn, damn, damn!

Dave

Dave

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, @jwhouk! 4 out of 8 correctly guessed? That's an incredible second day!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Actually, my dad's name is Dennis. :)

mikerc

mikerc

Woo, picked up 2 points right at the death of Switzerland - Ecuador. Also who says football always ends with a boring 0-0 draw, 9 games no draws & only 2 teams out of 18 to play so far haven't scored a goal. Now that's what I like to see at a WC!

Dave

Dave

I had the Swiss winning 2-1 so that's great! Now I have the French winning 3-0 and that might have been too low!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Things could get a little hairy tomorrow with team USA's first game. That is, if the stadium hasn't floated away.

bhamv3

bhamv3

My success in the EPL version of the game has not translated to success in the World Cup. :(

(also known as the Wayne Rooney story)

Jax

Jax

The last two matches I was off by one goal. I don't think I'm gonna catch up... :/

Dave

Dave

FUCK YEAH USA!!! 32 second in!!

Jax

Jax

Typical Americans, always wanna be first :troll:

Dave

Dave

Mother-fucking-U! S! A!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Off by a goal. ;)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Finally, my first three pointer.

Dave

Dave

Finally, my first three pointer.
I got one as well!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Fuck it, I give up. This World Cup makes no sense.

Rovewin

Rovewin

Fuck it, I give up. This World Cup makes no sense.
I feel you. I look through my bets and it's majority ones all the way until group D ruining it all up. At least it looks like everyone else messed up on those bets too.

I think I can edge my way up to second but beating mroosc1979 is going to be tough. I'm going to have to actually start getting some scores right to have any hope of bridging the gap.

Jax

Jax

I'm recovering a little bit.. It's still possible!

If I wasn't playing in any contests though, I'd find this World Cup to be surprisingly refreshing. It's not dominated anymore by all the teams that were historically great, anything can happen

Dave

Dave

I'm recovering a little bit.. It's still possible!

If I wasn't playing in any contests though, I'd find this World Cup to be surprisingly refreshing. It's not dominated anymore by all the teams that were historically great, anything can happen
Germany and Ghana draw?!? Yeah, who saw that one coming?

jwhouk

jwhouk

There's going to be celebrating in the streets of Ghana tonight for that one.

Dave

Dave

Man, I had Netherlands beating Mexico, but Mexico got straight up fucked by the refs. They should have had extra time rather than that bullshit penalty kick loss.

Jax

Jax

Robben was fouled by two players during a first offense for which he didn't get a penalty. The second player didn't even go for the ball, he just plainly sideswiped Robben (the one who got injured himself and had to be carried off. Karma, bitch!) He was taken down some time later again which was clearly a foul, but didn't get a penalty.

Mexico already dodged two bullets before the third got fired. How exactly was Mexico fucked by the refs?

klew

klew

Calling iffy fouls and awarding a penalty shot late in a match to make-up for previously missed calls (not matter how blatant) seems unfair in a game where goals are already hard to come by.

Jay

Jay

http://gfycat.com/KnobbyHonestIriomotecat

Meh, it was an oscar winning flop. Robben is talented but, by the dead, the flops he does.

Was there contact? Maybe but not enough to generate that amount of airtime.

#RefsDecideAnotherWorldCupGame

Jax

Jax

Calling iffy fouls and awarding a penalty shot late in a match to make-up for previously missed calls (not matter how blatant) seems unfair in a game where goals are already hard to come by.
I agree that it should not make up for previous missed calls, but it happens. It shouldn't add up, but since previous refereeing errors aren't corrected, it's the only way to even up.

If you keep making fouls that are on the iffy side, you're going to get a yellow card eventually no matter how small the fouls. Why shouldn't the same apply to penalties, or everything for that matter?

blotsfan

blotsfan

I say ban him from the rest of the tournament.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm not the most educated footballer, but I have a mild issue with the scores? Are they always super inflated if it goes to PKs? For example, the last game shows 6-4, instead of 2-1. I know in hockey after the shootout, a shootout win is really just worth one "winning goal". Is it really counting each ending penalty kick with the same value as a normal goal in the match?

I sent a thing that went to the developer asking, but haven't heard back. I mean, any game going to PKs is going to have the scores wildly inflated. For games you think are gonna be close, should you throw down 7-5, expecting it to go to PKs? Then if it's like 1-0, you're still kind of right, but WAY off on the score? I'm just kind of babbling here, wondering if anyone else has opinions on it.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Technically, the game ends in a draw, and the PKs are treated as a separate score. So, yesterday's game was 1 (5) - 1 (3).

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I had it as 1-1 so I got 0 points.

Jax

Jax

Yeah, I had it as 1-1 so I got 0 points.
I think it's this particular (American? :p) system that counts differently, in another group I play in people get points for a draw

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, it's supposed to be counted separately, I think these inflated scores are silly as well. Either they count as a draw (which still makes "draw" a crappy and rare choice once you get to these rounds), or they count as one goal extra (which would mean I'd've had a couple points extra :p). Counting all penalties isn't the way they're supposed to be counted.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So - who you got for today's game, since we can't see each other's picks?

I have Yanks 2:1 Belgians.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I Believe That We Will Win

Bubble181

Bubble181

I can't believe I'm actually rooting for Belgium, of all places. :p

For now, though, errr....go Switzerland? :p

Dave

Dave

Holy shit that was a great match. Good game, Belgium. You deserved it. But man did we give it a shot in extra time!

Jax

Jax

GG USA. Belgium had a really good game on, but never managed to shoot a little bit higher than Howard's legs, until the very end.
USA made a good comeback in the end, but unfortunately a bit too late.

I actually had Belgium:USA - 2:1 :) Now I feel sad for missing the first four matches of the Round of 16 (didn't know it continued and didn't really pay attention to it anymore), otherwise I would've probably had 5 more points.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I nominate Wondo for "Miss of the Tournament".

jwhouk

jwhouk

Germany, Brazil, Netherlands, Belgium are my Final 4.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You're picking Belgium over Argentina?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

You're picking Belgium over Argentina?
Argentina hasn't been playing very well in the tourney. Not being the scoring machine they were supposed to be. I can see it.

Jax

Jax

Holy crap I had like eight heart attacks

bhamv3

bhamv3

Heh heh, Charlie's crept up to first place.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Brazil-Germany, Netherlands-Argentina.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So - how do we do it if we think a game's going to go to the shootout/penalty kicks/whatever they call that at the end?

bhamv3

bhamv3

So - how do we do it if we think a game's going to go to the shootout/penalty kicks/whatever they call that at the end?
Predict the shootout score, I think. Netherlands-Costa Rica is showing up as 4-3 for me.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, I see that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

With 9 possible points remaining -

Charlie Don't Surf 63
mroosc1979 62
Rovewin 62
jwhouk 58
Dave 58

It's a 5 man race

Rovewin

Rovewin

With 9 possible points remaining -

Charlie Don't Surf 63
mroosc1979 62
Rovewin 62
jwhouk 58
Dave 58

It's a 5 man race
That is way too close. Allright I'm putting my gameface on. :aaah: Now to bite my nails through the final games. Good luck.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

How are there only 9 points remaining with 4 games? Do they not count the 3rd place game?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

How are there only 9 points remaining with 4 games? Do they not count the 3rd place game?
NOPE I'm dumb as hell and forgot the 3rd place game.

mikerc

mikerc

[quote="Dave, post: 1135220, member: 1"I have Germany winning it all over Argentina.[/quote]

This is looking a pretty good bet right now.

Dave

Dave

Yup!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

What's the tiebreaker?

Dave

Dave

Most correct 3 point guesses followed by most 2 point, 1 point, etc.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If it's all still tied after that, PK shootout at Dave's house. BYOB. ;)

Rovewin

Rovewin

Most correct 3 point guesses followed by most 2 point, 1 point, etc.
Dang that puts me right out. The people with 3 point guesses already are getting that boost. I think least amount of zero point guesses would work better. ;) Means they picked the winner of each match the most.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm out, anyways. Dangit, I can't win these things.

Dave

Dave

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I got the score right, got 3 points...AND CHARLIE BEAT ME BY ONE POINT!!

mikerc

mikerc

Bah, fourth. The knockout stages seem to have been my undoing.

On the plus side if Scotland can beat Germany in Dortmund in September we get to claim to be the "real" World Champions for the first time since we beat England back in '67.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I got the score right, got 3 points...AND CHARLIE BEAT ME BY ONE POINT!!
I'm not a playa I just crush a lot