[Question] Email issues

Dave

Staff member
I have my own site called nihsen.com which currently redirects to Halforums. I do this because I use the email address of David@ and then have them forwarded to my Gmail account.

For the last couple days I have not gotten any emails.
  • Nihsen.com is hosted by the same host as here.
  • The site still redirects fine and I can reach the cPanel so it's not a pathing issue.
  • The forwarder is still in effect.
  • The emails are showing up in my cPanel webmail so they are getting there, just not forwarding.
Any ideas why I might not be getting them sent over?

As an aside, and not worth opening a thread over, but while I can access everything by going to the xenforo/portal page, going to just "halforums.com" still returns an error. Could be on my end, might not be, so just mentioning it.

Dave

Staff member
Are they being returned as undeliverable?
Are they being blocked as spam ("forged header")?

--Patrick
I'm getting no errors anywhere. They just aren't showing up. I did a traceroute from the server and it all came back green. I'm not even getting any spam in my gmail.

I'm getting no errors anywhere. They just aren't showing up. I did a traceroute from the server and it all came back green. I'm not even getting any spam in my gmail.
Gotta be something systematic, then.
I'm guessing something along the way is dropping it due to the forward/forged header false positive.
Try sending an email to the destination email and see if it gets through. That is, don't send to A and wait for it to get forwarded to B, just send something directly to B and see if it gets there to make sure that B is actually working.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Ooh! I think I might have it. Instead of pushing from the host I'm configuring gmail to PULL the email.

Someone send me an email! I want to test it!

I would check to make sure that the host of your private domain email address hasn't been black listed by Google, for some odd reason.

I would check to make sure that the host of your private domain email address hasn't been black listed by Google, for some odd reason.
I still think something like this is going to be some part of the root cause.
Things to try:

Can someone you know (not at nihsen.com) send email successfully to the gmail address? (is the gmail working)
Can you send email to your gmail address while logged into your nihsen.com account? (is gmail blocking nihsen.com)
Can you send email from gmail to the nihsen.com address (is nihsen blocking gmail-this may cause trouble if forwarding is still turned on)
Gmail may be pulling email with SSL enabled. It looks like enom requires SSL be turned off but I don't know if there is a setting for this.

--Patrick

How is your forwarding setup? Is it setup in the Accounts and Imports under Gmail's settings (so you can also uses david@nihsen as an alias), or are you forwarding from the webmail?

If under Gmail's settings (usually the better way), you can hit "check mail" to see if it works. You can also hit "edit info", look at the settings there, and compare them to the ones your host gives for POP3 forwarding. They might've changed the ports/hostname they use. the people I have for my gm@sal account did this a year back. Thankfully they warned first. You can also try tweaking the settings (turn SSL on and off, etc).

When you use port 995, you HAVE to have SSL enabled, which would mean checking that second box ("Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail Learn More"). So that method might actually work (and is highly recommended since it keeps your information safe) if you want to try it. Especially if you're going to have the other half set to secure (port 465).

I would see if your nihsen server has some sort of log available, something that shows whether gmail actually ever was allowed/refused access.

Also I would try and set up an email client (such as Thunderbird or eM client) on your own machine to see whether it is allowing pop access at all, and also to see what sort of messaging it might give (unauth/refused/etc).

--Patrick

Check this out.
Do you not get multiple e-mail addresses with your domain? I find it weird that they're giving you one single login, unless that's the case. Maybe test putting david@nihsen.com, or david@nihsen, as the username?

(Also, when setting up the SSL in POP3, you want to check the "Always use a secure connection" box, if I recall correctly, but this is unrelated to the issues)

Dave

Staff member
Okay, back at it. Nameservers have been changed as per host. He also wanted me to change my MX record, but that is for Google Apps, not just Gmail, correct?

Right now I'm set up with both a direct forward from the cPanel (David @ Nihsen.com forwards to edrondol @ gmail.com) AND am pulling from Google using the following settings. When I tried these yesterday they timed out, probably because of the nameservers.

And nothing works. Everything goes through fine and gives a green light like it's set up right, but nothing is coming in or going out. I checked the blacklistings just in case but I'm not there. Thank goodness.

I don't get why I can't view that image.

Without session logs, it's going to be very difficult to figure out why this isn't working.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I stopped giving a shit about this and just started using the webmail interface right in the cPanel. I have also been talking to a new host that is (amazingly) cheaper and have a great bunch of reviews by people over at Xenforo.com. I'm not pulling the trigger yet because I really like Mike (current host), but the stuff that's been happening lately shows a lack of infrastructure, specifically redundancy.

So this morning my email started working again. Sort of. Little by little emails are trickling in from 5 days ago. I assume it'll catch up soon to today. I changed nothing the last couple days so I know it's not something I did to fix it.