[Question] Easy way to better myself without working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm essentially a lazy person. I understand that everyone can change in positive ways and have a better life, but I don't want to do any hard work, and I'd like to be able to experience the benefits sooner rather than later. I hear some people work on problems for years before finally breaking through.

So I have two questions:

1. What problems do I have that I should fix?
2. A few of the problems I've self identified are below - what can I do to fix them, that takes you two sentences or less to explain?

- Gluttony - I like to eat. Seriously - if there's food within reach, even food I dislike, I eat it.
- Fitness - I want to exercise, but I feel I have higher priorities for my time. Like working. I used to do ultra-marathon bicycling races, but now I'd have a hard time going 15 miles in under an hour on my road bike.
- Vanity - I'm unwilling to post things I write that don't meet my standards, and I spend a lot of time re-reading and laughing at stuff I've written before. It's creepy.
- Procrastination - yeah, I'm here rather than working or exercising.

You're already posting your A-game?

Sip water constantly.

Get a standing desk.

Nibble on veggies instead of potato chips, fatty.

Also have like 3 more kids.

B

Biannoshufu

Fuck the man up.
ok, that made me spill my coffee, Thank you, resmy.
Added at: 23:36
So I'm essentially a lazy person. I understand that everyone can change in positive ways and have a better life, but I don't want to do any hard work, and I'd like to be able to experience the benefits sooner rather than later. I hear some people work on problems for years before finally breaking through.
So I have two questions:
2. A few of the problems I've self identified are below - what can I do to fix them, that takes you two sentences or less to explain?
- Gluttony - I like to eat. Seriously - if there's food within reach, even food I dislike, I eat it.
- Fitness - I want to exercise, but I feel I have higher priorities for my time. Like working. I used to do ultra-marathon bicycling races, but now I'd have a hard time going 15 miles in under an hour on my road bike.
- Vanity - I'm unwilling to post things I write that don't meet my standards, and I spend a lot of time re-reading and laughing at stuff I've written before. It's creepy.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I think the latter, but the second to last item confuses me.

Dave

Staff member
Your post could have been done by me. I'm exactly the same as you with the exception of caring that much about my posts. Obviously.

My view? I've seen too many health conscious people living miserable lives. I'm going to die young, but I'm going to do it eating what I want and doing what I want.

Your post could also have been done by me. Must be a constant for people with engineering talent, or something.
I have to dig up a graphic which will explain everything, but for now I only have this advice:

--Patrick

I'm like the extreme version of you.
I do karate 6+ hours a week. Yet I eat junkfood every ocassion. Lately I've started smoking like a chimney. And drinking 30+ cans of beer a week. Still keeping my weight, but I know its not healthy. I cant be assed excercising more, even though I want to.
If I have food I will eat, no matter what it is. Procrastination...I kinda jsut stopped handing in school homework...then stopped going to school to get out of my assignments. That was 6 years ago.
Vanity in posts? I've been in this community since forever. Image boards I think was my first singup. I only have 280 ish posts. I don't even know how I got that many.
Can't help you with much, apart from the exercise. Start a routine. It may kill you, you may think it a waste. But after 3 weeks, you will notice iprovements. If you miss a session, you will feel it. And you will feel bad. Your body will make you want to keep working.

C

Chibibar

So I have two questions:

Gluttony - I love to eat also. that is why I am gaining weight :( the only thing I am doing now is drink more water (I do love water). I also avoid buying fatty food and have them around the house. The best way is to possibly have LESS food in the house (thus less chance of eating them) or maybe have more healthy food in the house or veggies.

Fitness - start walking each day. This may help with procrastination (kinda go hand in hand for me) get up a little earlier and go for a walk. Even 10 minute walk will do you wonders.

Set goals - What do you want to be in 6 months or 1 year? mine is my wife and I want to do www.runforyourlives.com next year. I gotta train up. She wants to do it too, so we are both motivating each other to do this.

Vanity in writing - I got nothing. I suck at writing.

Your post also could have come from me. Silly, but I find that lists help me out. I love to-do lists and I like crossing things off my lists. But then I fall back into my funks where I do a whole lot of nothing for a while. :p

Fitness - start off small and work your way up. situps and pushups in the morning don't take much time at all.
So much this. Actually it's really easy to get started on this kind of thing: take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator (unless you have to go to the 30th floor, then, you know...), start walking more places, or take public transit (which forces you to walk to/from the stations). Obviously you can't do this all the time (grocery shopping for 85343343 hatchlings, for example, probably requires you take your own car) but making small changes to things you're already doing starts a good process that encourages larger changes, and before you know it you're one of those jerks who has no problem getting up before six AM and running a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.