Export thread

don't end your sentences in prepositions

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

if you do, you're fucking stupid.

Have a nice day.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Is thread for helpful spelling and grammar suggestions? Wicked!

1) "You're" is short for "you are" whereas "your" is possessive. Like "You're driving your car."
2) "It's" is short for "it is" whereas "its" is possessive. Like "It's nice that the dog like its new bone."
3) The big one. "They're" is short for "they are," "their" is possessive, and "there" is location. Like "They're just over there, in their new restaurant."
4) "Should of" or "could of" or any other variation is just wrong. It sounds like "should've" which is short for "should have."

Krisken

Krisken

To, as in going.
Two, a nice even number.
Too, as in also.

This one drives me nuts.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

butts

its-probably-not-a-car-wash-theyre-working-for.gif

Wahad

Wahad

Man what are you even getting your panties in a bunch for.

makare

Charlie just needs someone to chat with.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've always been a little fuzzy on what a preposition is. How am I supposed to stop when I don't even know what I'm up against?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

General Specific

General Specific

I don't see what the big deal is.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

hahahahah you guys are doing the thing about which I'm complaining that's really funny

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is dialogue and therefore it's acceptable. Is.

makare

I personally just enjoy watching charlie hop around like a whiny yosemite sam.

Soliloquy

Dave

Dave

Charles, are you telling me you use grammatically correct sentences and syntax at all times? Or are you merely being pedantic?

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is something up with which we shall not put.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Dude... What the fuck?

I just cleaned that glass.

Just Me

Just Me

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I've never messaged a girl on OKCupid that uses the wrong your or to

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I've never messaged a girl on OKCupid that uses the wrong your or to
How many guys?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dude... What the fuck?

I just cleaned that glass.
oh. okay. sorry ravenbro.

UUH9x.gif

Jay

Jay

Oh.

That is a situation I have not thought of.

bHBQ7.gif

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

How many guys?
zero, because I'm not homosexual or bisexual

I'm not sure what's funny about insinuating that I'm gay

Jay

Jay

0a46825b.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Psh, I will not subscribe to this superstitious nonsense!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Note the incorrect use of the preposition 'in' in the topic title.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

3) The big one. "They're" is short for "there are,"
They're is short for they are... Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They're is short for they are... Just saying.
Psh, I know. I know! That's what I wrote originally! Silly Crimson. You need to get your eyes checked.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Don't end your sentences with a preposition.
Do end your sentences with a period.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Don't end your sentences with a preposition.
Do end your sentences with a period.
Never end your sentences with a Minotaur penis.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Sound advice. And practical!
Added at: 03:17

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I have long adored that video.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

hahahahah you guys are doing the thing about which I'm complaining that's really funny
What the hell else did you expect?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Please, I looked up a what preposition is and I still don't understand.

Someone help me!

SeraRelm

What are you confused about?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I just don't understand what a preposition is. Maybe I'm just too tired to learn things.

MindDetective

MindDetective

OK, I'll bite. Why not?

Soliloquy

I just don't understand what a preposition is. Maybe I'm just too tired to learn things.
A preposition is that which with you should not end a sentence. I thought that was made clear :p

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The simplest explanation is that it is a word which conveys location in space and/or time. Words like: on, in, around, through, ahead, behind, before, after, with... This isn't a perfect definition because words like 'of' or 'for' are prepositions but don't really convey space/time information, but as a general rule it functions.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I am screwed.

I am from Newfoundland. We are masters of redundancy in speech and, apparently, ending sentences in prepositions.

Soliloquy

I am screwed.

I am from Newfoundland. We are masters of redundancy in speech and, apparently, ending sentences in prepositions.

The funny thing is the whole "no preposition" thing is completely unnecessary as far as actually understanding sentences goes. I've never met a single person who read a sentence ending with a preposition and failed to understand it.

Apparently that's not the case in Latin, but ignoring the rule suits English just fine.

Next on the agenda: who the crap came up with "whom?" and why is every English gender-neutral singular pronoun so awkward to use?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Successful troll is successful.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I really love grammar and words and sentence structure... But I'm really not much of a stickler about it. Although my own writing and speech is fairly taut vis-a-vis whoms and whos and prepositions and so on, I also never say ridiculous things like "About what are you talking?" (although I do say things like "With whom are you going?"... but I like the sound of the word whom.)

Soliloquy

Successful troll is successful.
But feeding trolls is fun! That's why they have those little dispensers by the cages that you pop a quarter in to get a handful of those nasty-looking food pellets!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My parents always got us with "____ and I" vs "me and ______"|

Me: "So Me and Chad Sexington went bike riding-"
Them: "Who?"
Me: "Chad Sexing-"
Me: "Me and Chad-"
Me: *sigh* "Chad Sexington and I"

So I started getting them back with "doing well" vs "doing good".

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ask them if it's "Just between you and I" or "Just between you and me". I have found this causes entertaining arguments among the non-expert grammar Nazis.

Bowielee

Bowielee

What's been sticking in my craw lately is the use of the word "atypical" to mean "typical".

Soliloquy

Ask them if it's "Just between you and I" or "Just between you and me". I have found this causes entertaining arguments among the non-expert grammar Nazis.
I think I prefer "Just betwixt us twain." I'm not even sure if it's correct, but no one ever takes the time to argue.

SeraRelm

I prefer "Listen, do you want to know a secret?"

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I would probably say "between you and I", but I don't know or care which is grammatically correct and definitely wouldn't presume to correct anyone else. I just feel "between you and I" sounds better to me.

makare

As long as I can understand what someone is saying I don't really care about the grammar.

Soliloquy

I personally feel that not enough people say "betwixt" these days.

makare

I only say it when speaking of bosoms.

Soliloquy

So... often, then?

drifter

drifter

What's been sticking in my craw lately is the use of the word "atypical" to mean "typical".
Wut

Bowielee

Bowielee

For example: "I knew I shouldn't have trusted you, you're an atypical man, just like every other one."

I've been hearing this quite frequently lately.

For me, this is right up there with "irregardless" and the misuse of "literally".

Mathias

Mathias

Charlie stop being a faggot... with.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I've never seen so many people so hot and bothered by a grammar thread. If this was any other poster posting this thread, people would be making all sorts of shitty jokes and guffawing. You guys just can't get enough of giving the dude a hard time.

RE: prepositions, I don't think I do it, but it's one of those things that can be obnoxious if unchecked.

Mathias

Mathias

I've never seen so many people so hot and bothered by a grammar thread. If this was any other poster posting this thread, people would be making all sorts of shitty jokes and guffawing. You guys just can't get enough of giving the dude a hard time.

RE: prepositions, I don't think I do it, but it's one of those things that can be obnoxious if unchecked.
Juski stop being a faggot.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I get it, you're like 40 and you think using obnoxious words make you cool. I saw that Louie CK sketch too, man.

Covar

Covar

I prefer "Listen, do you want to know a secret?"
"Do you promise not to tell?"

ElJuski

ElJuski

also, when the hell do you say "the match was rained off"?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll note that in Tin's quoted examples, each of those sentences could be considered clumsy and thus necessitating the preposition. Let's see:

[Person] had not even paid for the dress.
Rained cancelled the match.
Why did you put that there? or For what reason did you put that there?
They must be convinced to take on this commitment.

Each only necessitated a prepositional ending because of the words that were left out of the sentence.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So jay and mathias, why aren't you calling me a nigger? I am as white as I am straight, so the joke is calling me something I'm not, right? I'm just curious why you think it's okay to lob around faggot. I love Louis CK, but you're missing the point by a fucking mile. So, just curious, why aren't you calling me a nigger and posting the Chris Rock youtube?

edit: also lol that NIGGERR is blocked and not faggot

Dave

Dave

Faggot is now blocked as well. And I did that before I saw your post.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Probably because they know calling you a black person won't bother you, and they're trying to bother you.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Word filtering those words is the most inane nanny state thing ever. It's not like they're ever used around here other than to discuss the words academically. Oh well, except for mathias, he's okay since he saw a Louis CK standup. The N-Word or the F-Word are the dumbest fucking things, and they offend me WAY more than nigger or faggot

ALSO you're making me look like a moron saying "a african american" instead of an
Added at: 09:45
Probably because they know calling you a black person won't bother you, and they're trying to bother you.
nah, I'd be pretty pissed off if they called me a nigger

bhamv3

bhamv3

Really?

Ahem... Charlie, you are clearly African American.

Now, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is mild annoyance and 10 is blind rage, how pissed off are you?

Dave

Dave

It's not nanny state as much as trying to prevent forest fires instead of putting them out after they blaze a trail of destruction across several threads. If I could trust people not to talk and snipe at each other like third graders on XBox Live I would.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

well, it's really simple to ban someone that calls someone a nigger or a faggot as an insult

Dave

Dave

Hate Speech – We are a very open community and have many, many walks of life. We have people from many races, sexual orientations and religions. Knowing this, hate speech will not be tolerated. Racial epithets or slurs against sexual orientation are not going to be tolerated. If these are reported we will take action. At the very least a warning and 1 point infraction will be assessed, although it is up to the discretion of the mod to give more.
Rules. We are bound by them as much as you. Were we to ban capriciously we'd deserve all the derision you could throw at us.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Err, didn't mean forever or anything. I forgot about the infractions thing. ANYWAYS

I agree with ElJuski up earlier. It's really easy to re-do a sentence to not have a preposition at the end. I dunno why it's started to irk me lately, but I guess enough to post a thread.

Dave

Dave

I always go back and change my writing when I find myself doing that, but when speaking it's a whole lot harder to change what you are saying. Once you get past a certain point in the sentence it's impossible to retract.

Covar

Covar

I guess don't see what the big deal with ending on a preposition is.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think Charlie has some insecurities, but I don't know where I got the idea.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I agree with ElJuski up earlier. It's really easy to re-do a sentence to not have a preposition at the end. I dunno why it's started to irk me lately, but I guess enough to post a thread.
Why should one have to?

(legitimate question there, although I recognize the preposition placement)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Because it's wrong and looks/sounds dumb.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I think most of the time its just redundant. It's not akin to murdering someone, but if it clarifies and strengthens your writing through clarity and concision, then why not? Besides, rules (and threads) are little writing challenges. Work out that writing muscle, people!

SeraRelm

That's a bit niggardly of you.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Because it's wrong and looks/sounds dumb.
So just elitist snobbery?

Mathias

Mathias

Posting seriously in a Charlie thread, or taking anything he says seriously...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That's a bit niggardly of you.
I remember when I was a Young Republican and thought that was really edgy

MindDetective

MindDetective

Posting seriously in a Charlie thread, or taking anything he says seriously...

Hyy, if he wants to waste an opportunity for a real discussion, he can't really criticize the regular hijinks that go on around here.

Chippy

Chippy

herp derp louis ck and south park said it's ok for me to say faggot now

But no seriously, that word is awful

ElJuski

ElJuski

Louis CK didn't even say it was okay. There's layers to what the man has actually said--including the awesome discussion on that episode of Louie. It has empowered all sorts of 30-40 somethings to continue to be obnoxious clowns under the guise of "edge", because, like, homos are so gay, bro.

Seriously, calling people f"aggo"t ironically was edgy a decade ago. Now it's just shorthand for stupid.

SeraRelm

Why is there even a filter if people are still going to use the word but just add an apostrophe or extra letter to it?

Chippy

Chippy

Also
HAHA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE BEING GAY MAKES YOU LESS OF A PERSON

ElJuski

ElJuski

Why is there even a filter if people are still going to use the word but just add an apostrophe or extra letter to it?
which is why the censorship is a stupid thing to begin with. It should be unnecessary, but here we are.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

What I think when people that I don't like post

ElJuski

ElJuski

cool beans

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm surprised this shit hasn't been locked yet. I also thought that word that rhymes with maggot was only used by 12-year old Xbox Live players.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think it's remarkable that you guys turned a thread with good natured ribbing in regards to such a trivial thing as grammar and actual discussion and enquiry in regards to grammar, into people slinging around bigoted epithets.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*it's

:D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

maggot
Xbox Live players.
Look! Synonyms!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

SeraRelm

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

/checks watch, waits for .gif

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

/checks watch, waits for .gif

(Had to) (I couldn't resist the opportunity.)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dammit, I thought starting a new thing could've been an animated gif for "PREPOSITION ENDING?" but with kicking in a door. Sadly, I can't seem to find some treasure trove of said gifs.

ElJuski

ElJuski

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't get it.

Soliloquy

I think it has something to do with mastering latin.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

NO SIMILES?!

tableFlipSoldier.gif

ElJuski

ElJuski

*shrug*

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

obviously, you are not a golfer

Mathias

Mathias

So jay and mathias, why aren't you calling me a African American? I am as white as I am straight, so the joke is calling me something I'm not, right? I'm just curious why you think it's okay to lob around nice gay person. I love Louis CK, but you're missing the point by a fucking mile. So, just curious, why aren't you calling me a African American and posting the Chris Rock youtube?

edit: also lol that NIGGERR is blocked and not nice gay person
I like how you think everyone misses the point of a thing, especially when you miss the point of what your pointing out to be a point...of

Dawg.

Jay

Jay

Also

HAHA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE BEING GAY MAKES YOU LESS OF A PERSON
1206752781732ps7.jpg

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yes, fellow citizens, when a middle-aged white man says something offensive, it's supposed to be funny and if you don't laugh well you're just dumb because it's funny!

Middle-aged white men tryna be edgy up in this piece, folks!
Added at: 21:08
I mean honestly, does it really ruin everyone's day if they just held off saying certain things? Since obviously plenty of people have, so to speak, a "stick up their ass", is it really that hard not to play nice? Or is showing off how cool and edgy and hip you are making the PC dweebs squirm that critical to having a good day?

Jay

Jay

50252_366754943046_4141775_n.jpg

makare

Middle-aged white men tryna be edgy up in this piece, folks!

That amused me. Well done.

SeraRelm

Bowielee

Bowielee

abe-simpson-gif.gif

ElJuski

ElJuski

Right, exactly. No, I get it, man. I get you're too cool for all this shit, alpha dog. I get that, I really do.

SeraRelm

Right, exactly. No, I get it, man. I get you're too cool for all this shit, alpha dog. I get that, I really do.
No. Shu'up.

ElJuski

ElJuski

>: I

Chippy

Chippy

Mathias

Mathias

*Jay is Homer*

But since you're all about a middle aged diatribe of bullshit, I'd like to point out how much of a just recently graduated with a BA in liberal arts, generation X wannabe, hipster douchenozzle you're being...below.

Dawg.

ElJuski

ElJuski

and the best part is, for all the acting so cool, they're the ones being reactionary to their insensitivity. I know you are but what am I, etc. It's cute.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I don't mean to take sides, but much of that post could be said about you.

SeraRelm

fade

fade

The funny thing is the whole "no preposition" thing is completely unnecessary as far as actually understanding sentences goes. I've never met a single person who read a sentence ending with a preposition and failed to understand it.

Apparently that's not the case in Latin, but ignoring the rule suits English just fine.

Next on the agenda: who the crap came up with "whom?" and why is every English gender-neutral singular pronoun so awkward to use?
YES YES YES, this.

The "don't end a sentence with a preposition" thing is a stylistic adherence to Latin. It really serves no purpose in English other than to give forum posters something to feel superior about. It's no reflection on intelligence whatsoever.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Love each other or perish."
-W.C. Auden

Seriously, enough with the pissing contest.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, he will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore him.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I remember that apparently Star Trek is wrong, because it's wrong "to boldly go where no man has gone before". Thou shalt not split the verb!

Also, even though I use English practically every day and consider myself quite fluent in both understanding and producing it, there are still some moments when my Finnish-wired brain produces some linguistic farts. For instance, since Finnish has no gender distinction in pronouns (beyond the joke that conservatives use 'hän' (Finnish for 'he') for men and 'se' (Finnish for 'it') for women), I sometimes end up forgetting to use the proper female personal pronoun "she" or "her". Not often, but it happens from time to time. Also, I tend to "wash my teeth" instead of brushing them.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I don't mean to take sides, but much of that post could be said about you.
I mean, take it for what you will. I just know I don't feel justified and awesome when I keep screaming the word "faggot" on an online message board because it's really showing those kids what's what.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I mean, take it for what you will. I just know I don't feel justified and awesome when I keep screaming the word "nice gay person" on an online message board because it's really showing those kids what's what.
No, but you feel justified about other things, it seems.

ElJuski

ElJuski

pobody's nerfect!

makare

I generally think splitting the infinitive sounds much better and so that is what I'll use.

Often the same with many other grammar rules. If it sounds better to me that is how I roll.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Like I mentioned before, it's really about clarity and concision. If there's a way to say something, and it sounds and feels effective, then BOOM. You're not going to get sniped from a clock tower if you bend a rule.

makare

Like I mentioned before, it's really about clarity and concision. If there's a way to say something, and it sounds and feels effective, then BOOM. You're not going to get sniped from a clock tower if you bend a rule.

I don't know I think Krisken has wanted to take a few shots at me just for typoing your/you're or their/there. >.>

Krisken

Krisken

I don't know I think Krisken has wanted to take a few shots at me just for typoing your/you're or their/there. >.>
I figure it's just karmic backlash for all the puns I make. :D

SeraRelm

Stop acting like a nice heterosexual person.

Krisken

Krisken

I really can be a nice person. Most of the time.

David

David

People who misuse "myself" when trying to sound overly formal. "Jim and myself worked on those TPS reports..."

Also, "you" written as "u." I've unfriended facebook friends over this.

As for they're/there/their... I still occasionally goof on this one when I'm not paying attention and most of the time don't notice mistakes before someone else points it out.

makare

considering I routinely mistype hate as had I think my their/there typos are not so bad.

Bowielee

Bowielee

People who misuse "myself" when trying to sound overly formal. "Jim and myself worked on those TPS reports..."

Also, "you" written as "u." I've unfriended facebook friends over this.

As for they're/there/their... I still occasionally goof on this one when I'm not paying attention and most of the time don't notice mistakes before someone else points it out.
Oh, god, if we're going into internet spelling fuckery, I'll point to two words that drive me insane.

Boi

Kewl

Ugh, I have actually ended conversations on IM over use of those.

makare

I was instructed the other day that boi referred, in some contexts, to a girl that identifies more masculine than feminine.

Just thought that was interesting.

Terrik

Terrik

considering I routinely mistype hate as had I think my their/there typos are not so bad.
Hey, that rhymes

Bowielee

Bowielee

I do have a hell of a time with the i and e placement in their.... see now, I'm not even sure if I have it right in this post.

makare

Hey, that rhymes
I got mad rhymez boyee

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I do have a hell of a time with the i and e placement in their.... see now, I'm not even sure if I have it right in this post.
I did when I was a kid, and someone told me "All forms of "there/their/they're" begin with 'the'." Never messed it up since.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hate the whole "i before e except after c" rule. There are actually more words that "break" that rule than there are that follow it. Something I'd always suspected, and QI backed me up on it not too long ago.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I hate the whole "i before e except after c" rule. There are actually more words that "break" that rule than there are that follow it. Something I'd always suspected, and QI backed me up on it not too long ago.
That segment includes one of my favourite insults from Fry, "Are you even capable of rational thought?"

makare

And my brain instantly went to Futurama...

Bowielee

Bowielee

I did when I was a kid, and someone told me "All forms of "there/their/they're" begin with 'the'." Never messed it up since.
OH MY GOD....

I will never spell it wrong again.

fade

fade

Oh yes. This is probably my number one grammar pet peeve. It is nearly always the manager level and higher that uses this. I think it's because everyone had their knuckles rapped one too many times about the misuse of I/me, so they avoid the issue altogether by substituting in another word.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm ausemd by atomuitac stitubutions in a day and age where every Ngiegr Fgaogt realizes you can just scramble the letters of a word, leaving the first and last intact, and the word is still entirely legible.

SeraRelm

Wut?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

5 pages in and no grammar Nazi called the original poster for using a contraction in a written conversation.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm ausemd by atomuitac stitubutions in a day and age where every Ngiegr Fgaogt realizes you can just scramble the letters of a word, leaving the first and last intact, and the word is still entirely legible.
fingermonkey.JPG

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought of a grammar problem that has plagued me for ages.
If you are referring to something you co-own with someone else, what is the correct possesive to use?
Example, I shared a room with a friend while staying in Beijing two years ago, and since neither of us thought to bring an alarm clock, we went halfsies on one we purchased in China.

"This is mine and Mat's alarm clock."
"This is my and Mat's alarm clock."
"This is Mat and my alarm clock."
"This is Mat's and my alarm clock."

The structure of the sentence sounds clunky and awkward no matter what, so I've never known what was technically correct.
Unless the ONLY way to correctly make a statement such as this is to rearrange it completely into
"This is the alarm clock belonging to Mat and I."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Heh, you could just simplify it with "This is our alarm clock." :p

Over the last year, I've attempted to simplify my sentences. Funny enough, I blame Charlie. Despite his off-putting remarks, he manages to say more with less. As a result, I find my writing's become less ranty.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Heh, you could just simplify it with "This is our alarm clock." :p
Only if the person I'm talking to is aware of who the other person I'm referring to is. Pronouns don't really work unless the proper noun has been used already.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The last one is grammatically correct: "This is Mat's and my alarm clock." It does sound terribly awkward, but you have to indicate possession from both parties. Convention to use first-person pronouns last means that "My and Mat's alarm clock," while correct is not normally seen. You can also use 'his': "This is his and my alarm clock," which still sounds bad, to me at least.

To avoid the awkward sound, I'd probably find a way to establish Mat as the other individual and say, "This is our alarm clock."

(A more in-depth explanation from the Chicago Manual of Style: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org...ttributives/PossessivesandAttributives26.html )

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, that was pretty much what I figured.

Soliloquy

It's also effective to say "This is Matt's and my bitchin' alarm clock." The use of "bitchin" in the sentence distracts from any grammatical clunkiness.

This technique works in any number of grammatically-awkward situations. I suggest using it in the next paper or report you have to write.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's also effective to say "This is Matt's and my bitchin' alarm clock." The use of "bitchin" in the sentence distracts from any grammatical clunkiness.

This technique works in any number of grammatically-awkward situations. I suggest using it in the next paper or report you have to write.
It's all over my resume.
In this case, the alarm clock was a bright pink Hello Kitty alarm clock. So the adjective is appropriate.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Actually, I don't find that the pronoun detracts from the clunkiness at all.

I'm taking an entire course on Psycholinguistics this semester, so I'm currently ass deep in the cognitive processing of sentences. The english language in particular is so patched together from other languages that it's a wonder even we are able to speak it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sorry, what'd you say, Bowielee?

fade

fade

"Mat should get his own fucking alarm clock."

SeraRelm

That's still illegal in most states.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sorry, what'd you say, Bowielee?
samjackson.jpg