[Question] Doggone Issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the dog is not gone yet.

I currently have a 12 year old German Shepherd Dog, he is the 3rd one that I've owned in a 21 year period. So basically my entire adult life I've had GSD's. Now that his health seems to be slowly fading, I am considering getting another dog.

The issues that I am batting around are, pound puppy or breeder, puppy with the older dog (guidance and help in training), or wait until my dog passes.

Currently I am considering a pound puppy If I go with a breeder I'll have to shop for a new one. The last two dogs that I purchased from him had too many "defects."

I think I am moving away from the idea of buying the puppy while the dog is still alive. I think that would save any issues with myself and the dog grieving at the same time.

GasBandit

Staff member
I also had a GSD, who had to be put down around his 9th year for hip related problems. As much as I like them, they're just too darn inbred. My next dog was a stray mutt. Best. Dog. Ever. Mutts all the way.

Dave

Staff member
I prefer Humane Society dogs to anything you'd get from a breeder. But that's just me.

Necronic

Staff member
Never get a dog from a breeder unless you do dog shows at a professional level, and if that's the case I would suggest spending the dog money on a therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.