Display port help

So, anyone watching the I need a new monitor thread probably saw this coming...

I got my new monitor in. And it's amazing! However, I can't seem to get it to work through display port, I'm having to connect it through hdmi. This is unsatisfactory. The monitor is a dell gaming s2716dg, and it's connected to a nvidia gtx 970.

Anyone have any idea what gives? It simply will never come on while plugged into the display port, but it's recognized just fine through hdmi.

1) When connected via the displayport, does the monitor say some variation of "no signal" or stays asleep? If it stays asleep, what happens when you press the power button to force it awake?

2) Have you switched the cable?[DOUBLEPOST=1465323920,1465323663][/DOUBLEPOST]Looking around, apparently this is a known issue. Mayhap someone has figured it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1465324438][/DOUBLEPOST]Someone on reddit has this solution, which sounds at least plausible.

A few other people suggest turning off any low-power settings in the monitor settings or the GPU settings that worked for them.

More than a few suggest (knowing that it sound stupid), to unplug your monitor for a minute then plug it back in with the DP cable conected.

GasBandit

Staff member
1) When connected via the displayport, does the monitor say some variation of "no signal" or stays asleep? If it stays asleep, what happens when you press the power button to force it awake?

2) Have you switched the cable?[DOUBLEPOST=1465323920,1465323663][/DOUBLEPOST]Looking around, apparently this is a known issue. Mayhap someone has figured it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1465324438][/DOUBLEPOST]Someone on reddit has this solution, which sounds at least plausible.

A few other people suggest turning off any low-power settings in the monitor settings or the GPU settings that worked for them.

More than a few suggest (knowing that it sound stupid), to unplug your monitor for a minute then plug it back in with the DP cable conected.
Well shut my mouth wide open, we can embed reddit posts now, too. Tarnation.

I've tried plugging in both hdmi and display port, but nvidia control panel only shows the hdmi. I'm about to go pick up another display port cable, just to see if that might be the issue (after I finish a complete wipe/install of graphics drivers, just to sure)

Ok, it works and I'm dumb.

Remember when I said I'd never used a display port monitor before? Yeah... turns out you have to plug that cable in really hard until it locks. :ninja:

Ok, it works and I'm dumb.

Remember when I said I'd never used a display port monitor before? Yeah... turns out you have to plug that cable in really hard until it locks. :ninja:
It's a feature.
Turns out to be one of the most common reasons why your headphones might only work on the L side, too.

...so how's the monitor on DP? Better than HDMI?

--Patrick

It's a feature.
Turns out to be one of the most common reasons why your headphones might only work on the L side, too.

...so how's the monitor on DP? Better than HDMI?

--Patrick
A lot better! At 2560x1440 resolution, hdmi was limited to 60hz display, whereas dp now allows it up to its full 144hz. I also decided to go with a g-sync capable display, which is only available over display port, and I have to admit it does look damn nice. It makes everything so smooth.

A lot better! At 2560x1440 resolution, hdmi was limited to 60hz display, whereas dp now allows it up to its full 144hz. I also decided to go with a g-sync capable display, which is only available over display port, and I have to admit it does look damn nice. It makes everything so smooth.
Adaptive sync is supposed to let the display dynamically vary its refresh rate to match the output from the GPU. I've yet to see it in action. I've moved from a 6970 to a 7970 in what will probably be my system's final upgrade before a new one is built to replace it (in a couple of years). The 7970 supports some of the FreeSync technologies, but not the ones that allow variable refresh rate, so I don't get to witness the splendor.

--Patrick

Adaptive sync is supposed to let the display dynamically vary its refresh rate to match the output from the GPU. I've yet to see it in action. I've moved from a 6970 to a 7970 in what will probably be my system's final upgrade before a new one is built to replace it (in a couple of years). The 7970 supports some of the FreeSync technologies, but not the ones that allow variable refresh rate, so I don't get to witness the splendor.

--Patrick
I was skeptical, but since I found a good sale for a monitor with g-sync capability that put in on par in price with a standard one, I decided to give it a try. I'm a true believer now. Even when in situations that would cause the framerate to drop, the adaptive sync kept everything looking smooth as silk with no stutter.