[News] Disney Buying Lucasfilm, Plans New Star Wars Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, if Warren Spector ended up somehow in charge of Lucasarts in this whole thing, it would be a plus to me.

Didn't people freak out like this when Disney bought Marvel? And wasn't the only big thing to come out of that a bunch of well-funded and entertaining movies?

I'm not seeing anything wrong here. It's not like Star Wars was producing anything fantastic, franchise-wise. The latest media releases have been mediocre at best, and enormous disappointments at worst. Hell, the Muppets had a spectacular comeback when Disney scooped them up, too. Instead of getting all Chicken Little on this, why not see how this unfolds? It's entirely possible this is the kick in the ass the franchise needs to stop being horrible.

Zappit

Staff member
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

The Avengers met Star Wars in the worst crossover ever produced.

Dammit, I wanted to post this! Ah well. Now if they DO make an animated ep 7, they should damn well have all the surviving actors in it as voice actors for all the living characters. And if not animated, they should at least give Mark Hamil the cameo he was promised...in 1976. Lucas is a dick, nuff said.

the only Mark Hamill cameo I would approve of is Cock Knocker

ALSO: dream directors for the new trilogy:

Rian Johnson, Steven Spielberg, Duncan Jones, Paul Thomas Anderson (would never do it), Danny Boyle

The only Paul Anderson you're going to get to direct is the one you don't want to. That said, Disney has been very good with getting quality directors for their Marvel films; I don't think they're going to short change Star Wars. At least that's the impression I got from the CEO.

I'm pretty excited about this news.

No more Lucas? A movie planned?

I'm all in baby.

Oh... and George?

medium_c5e0d8218b7001401a95e476b4966ac4.jpg

So what is ep seven gonna be about? Cos if it involves the plot from that Star Wars book about Han Solo's evil son killing Chewie...I don't think I'd stop crying after seeing that on the big screen. THE TEARS WOULD NOT STROP!

So - I haven't really had time yet to pore over the release.

1) I'm assuming he will maintain some control over re-releasing the property - i.e. no Star Wars: the Original Cut on Blu-ray.

2) For the 7-9 trilogy, have they discussed whether the plan is to write original material? Or could they possibly just adapt the already fan-accepted Zahn trilogy?

1) I'm assuming he will maintain some control over re-releasing the property - i.e. no Star Wars: the Original Cut on Blu-ray.

2) For the 7-9 trilogy, have they discussed whether the plan is to write original material? Or could they possibly just adapt the already fan-accepted Zahn trilogy?
I'm afraid with Disney at the helm, they may just tell the EU to go fuck itself.

1. Originals are encumbered by Fox distribution deal. Not sure on details but Disney seems less concerned with them then going forward.

2. They have a treatment for the new trilogy already started. No one asked about influences for that treatment.

I don't get why I'm trolling when I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock

Favreau wasn't great, Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch, my misgivings about Avengers are well-documented, and I don't have anything strong to say about the others.

Shane Black owns though, that's why I'm cautiously optimistic for IM3

I don't get why I'm trolling when I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock

Favreau wasn't great, Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch, my misgivings about Avengers are well-documented, and I don't have anything strong to say about the others.

It's because you purposely post anti-popular reviews posts on highly popular media threads for the sole purpose of trolling, which you yourself have admitted. Unless it's ironic like with Taylor Swift.

Noone takes you seriously anymore, which is a shame because at one time, your movie critiques were highly regarded.

No, you're trolling because that's all you ever do. People would take your opinions seriously if they weren't all presented as if you were a spastic gibbon.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm cautious but excited about a new Trilogy in the coming years. Especially if it has anything to do with the Extended Universe stories, though I highly doubt it as Luke/Han/Chewie/Leia are too old to be played by their original actors and doing replacements don't tend to work very well. So will it be based on new characters? Hard to do with how definitive they -ended- the Jedi in the Prequels.

Have Mark Hammill cameo as an old Skywalker setting up a new Jedi order tutoring a force sensitive Kyle Katarn. I'd watch the shit out of that. Parts of the EU are incredibly rich and they have a character list of 17,000 to work with and a couple hundred planets.

I am cautiously optimistic.

If they pull off a resurrection of the franchise like they did with many of the Marvel properties, I will be happy.

Also I really don't see them attempting the EU. They might, but with how difficult it would be to make the old actors work, they might decide to jump into the future a bit more and create a unique story with a whole new cast.

They found a plausibly young kenobi, they can most certainly find a plausibly old skywalker or two, etc.

But even if they wrote ironclad contracts with the EU writers that gave Lucas all rights, you know it would end up in court if they used the story, and they'd have to make some sort of payment. Nothing a movie studio hates more than paying someone for a good idea.

So it's far more likely that they will write their own sequels.

I'm afraid with Disney at the helm, they may just tell the EU to go fuck itself.
I'm hoping this won't happen, but I'm guessing it will.

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 can either be set immediately after Jedi, or be set further in the future. They can feature the original characters, or they can feature new characters.

If they're set immediately afterwards and have the same characters, right away you run into the problem where the original actors are too old to play their original roles. Imagine Carrie Fisher today in a gold bikini. So they'll probably need to recast the roles. That might result in a backlash from the fans.

Additionally, what happens to the main characters after the events of Jedi are already very well established and explored in the EU. How Leia and Han ended up married and having three kids (two of which are now dead), how Luke established a Jedi academy on Yavin 4, etc etc. These stories are pretty well loved by the hardcore Star Wars fandom in general, so contradicting them will also result in a fan backlash.

Alternatively, the new movies could be set further in the future, decades after the events of Jedi. The ages of the actors would now match their characters, so they could return. And it might be less likely they'll contradict EU canon. They could set the movies after the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, for example. This is wishful thinking though, I highly doubt this is what'll happen.

Instead, I'm guessing Disney will toss the EU out the window and just do whatever they want.

Instead, I'm guessing Disney will toss the EU out the window and just do whatever they want.
I don't think they'll toss it out entirely, that seems like too much of "**** you!" to fans they'll want to keep.The Clone Wars show has enough retcons and changes in it without rendering the EU pointless to show you can do it, and like CynicismKills said, Disney has played nice with other properties they've bought. If they could actually bring back the old cast, I'd think they'd be more likely to do their own thing. But I have a hard time seeing that happening.

I don't think they'll toss it out entirely, that seems like too much of "**** you!" to fans they'll want to keep.The Clone Wars show has enough retcons and changes in it without rendering the EU pointless to show you can do it, and like CynicismKills said, Disney has played nice with other properties they've bought. If they could actually bring back the old cast, I'd think they'd be more likely to do their own thing. But I have a hard time seeing that happening.
Well, I'll admit I'm skeptical. The EU is filled to the brim with tiny details, to the point where EU canon even contradicts itself at times. This means any new movies with a setting anywhere close to where the EU takes place will end up contradicting something. Then they'll either have to go through all the retcon contortions, or just go "screw it, the EU is wrong and our version of events is right."

However, if they manage to get Ganner Rhysode's last stand into a film and do that scene justice, then they can have Lando fall in love with Wedge Antilles and name Episode 7 Brokeback Coruscant for all I care. Because that scene is pure awesome.

Well, I'll admit I'm skeptical. The EU is filled to the brim with tiny details, to the point where EU canon even contradicts itself at times. This means any new movies with a setting anywhere close to where the EU takes place will end up contradicting something. Then they'll either have to go through all the retcon contortions, or just go "screw it, the EU is wrong and our version of events is right."
It's not that hard to handle. The prequels screwed with a lot of stuff too, but the EU worked around them, and both exist side by side. It's not like Star Wars continuity was perfectly balanced before now. The person currently with overriding authority has shown a marked disregard with existing material he didn't create (and in some case, even the material he did create). There can be gaps and retcons that get filled in/corrected by some writer later or that fans will look the other way on/come up with theories that make them work. But throwing out the EU? That's another thing entirely, and I have a hard time believing that's a road they want to go down.

I'm hoping that if Disney sees enough money in it we might see a release of the restored/unmodified original trilogy. I'm not holding my breath but the chances of it are better than they were yesterday.

*Crosses Fingers*

Or perhaps it won't come to pass until George Lucas dies.

*Crosses Fingers*

Status
Not open for further replies.