Export thread

Disney Buying Lucasfilm, Plans New Star Wars Movie

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction.

Well, this could get interesting. I'm just not sure if it will be in a good or bad way yet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Jar Jar: The Movie?

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Walt Disney Company : Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd.

Blah, blah... "Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

More interesting to me though is this tweet by Abby Darkstar
"So how will this effect our ability to do charity in costume? Disney is notorious for not allowing it!"

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If Georgy is going to retire, there really is no better company to hand his baby off to...

Adam

Adam

This is an April Fools, right? Right?

Covar

Covar

I just saw this on the Verge. Interesting, and thank god Lucas will have nothing to do with the franchise anymore.

[edit] Just saw they will be keeping him on as a Creative Consultant. NOOOOOO

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The 501st is concerned right now that Disney will shut them down since it's notorious for clamping down on copyrights it owns.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

As long as Disney isn't a dick about re-enacting and fan activities I actually don't see this as being too bad.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The 501st is concerned right now that Disney will shut them down since it's notorious for clamping down on copyrights it owns.
Then maybe Disney will flood the market with cheap Clone Trooper Costumes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I expect Disney-related Star Wars parodies from artists immediately.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I bet there are some out there NOW!

Covar

Covar

I just realized who I feel bad for in this: Dark Horse. They've held on to the Star Wars Comic rights for just over 20 years. Now if BOOM! Studios is any indication they can forget about renewing it.

strawman

strawman

Interesting. The star wars universe is very large, and yet it's not been exploited as fully as it could have been. Lucas has allowed books and some game spinoffs, and has dabbled in cartoons and animated properties, but I expect there's a lot more than can be done with it without ruining it.

Disney hasn't done a bad job with Marvel and pixar properties, and while Lucas has sold the film company I doubt he's completely letting go of the reins, just as Marvel and Pixar luminaries are still guiding their properties.

Besides, we know Lucas isn't going to be able to get 7,8, and 9 out in his lifetime at his glacial pace. He needs some help, and this may end up being a win-win.

However, the size of Disney worries me.

Gared

Gared

Man, I cannot wait until 2020 when 'Star Wars Episode 34: We're Still Not Done Destroying This IP For Money' is released direct to whatever media is popular at that time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now we can go back to Lucas claiming that he meant to make 9 movies from the start.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Interesting. The star wars universe is very large, and yet it's not been exploited as fully as it could have been.
*snort*
*snicker*
*bites his tongue*

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh god, oh god, my sides. Oh, the pain. That's hilarious.

Wait, were you serious?

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Adam

Adam

Just dialed into the investor call. Should be interesting.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629288][/DOUBLEPOST]No George Lucas on call.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629323][/DOUBLEPOST]ILM, Skywalker sound and LucasArts all included in deal.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629373][/DOUBLEPOST]Brand compatibility and mutual understanding of iconic characters and protecting/leveraging brand to create value.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629480][/DOUBLEPOST]2015 Star Wars Episode 7, first feature under Lucas/Disney.

Episode 8 and 9 also planned.

New Star Wars film should be expected every two to three years.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629547][/DOUBLEPOST]Talking about Pixar and Marvel acquisitions, integrated business structure.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629699][/DOUBLEPOST]CFO says only Disney can create value from Lucas IP (including Indiana Jones and Star Wars) but only care about SW.[DOUBLEPOST=1351629749][/DOUBLEPOST]More breadth and depth of Star Wars content domestically, and using Disney's distribution to take it global.

Parks and resorts, games and TV big focus for Disney expansion of LucasArts.

Interestingly enough, they valued LucasArts at the same as Marvel, but based the LucasArts valuation on just Star Wars alone, any extra content is a bonus.

LucasArts has 17,000 characters to utilize.

Questions from audience:

1. How does Marvel acquisition compare to LucasArts?
Marvel was way better at global distribution and had better licensing and shelfspace.

2. How much did Marvel acquisition make you?
No details announced. Value-creating for shareholders. Share price compared to pro-forma has been positive. Feel equally strong about LucasArts.

3. Recurring library revenue from LucasArts?
Can't reveal breakdown. A quarter of Lucas Films revenue is from their film library, the rest is other licensing deals.

4. Any other movies from Lucas?
Nope, concentration on just Star Wars. Extensive and detailed treatment for the next trilogy. 2015 for Episode 7, 8 and 9 in 2017 and 2019 respectively.

5. Doubling down on film while home entertainment is going down. What opportunities for parks?
Box office own has grown exponentially. All good. Being conservative in this purchase. 4 parks, 2 recently redone, incorporate more Star Wars into parks, build on Asian parks. Star Wars #2 franchise in the world by Forbes. "Sci Fi Fantasy" and "Super Hero" franchises under disney control.

6. What Star Wars films come in lieu of at Disney? What happens to Marvel? Pixar? Concerns about saturation?
Strategy has been 1-2 Marvel films a year, 1 Pixar film a year, 1 Disney animated per year, a couple live action tent poles with 2017 Star Wars being one of those. No huge extra investment in film. Better to invest in sequel to Star Wars than a brand new IP, known quantity, easier ROI.

7. Annual Consumer Product Licensing - $215M per year, confirm?
Confirmed for 2012

8. Projections for future film $?
Erred on conservative side. Considering no SW film since 2005, most revenue calculated from future exploitation of SW film franchise.

9. Dilutives, single digit EPS and accretives, share buyback in 2 years. Does that include buyback?
Single digit drop in EPS caused by dilutives. Accretives are caused by buyback.

10. All those revenue projections, were they for 2005 when the last movie was made?
No, for calendar year 2012.

11. $2 Billion of stock being issued, $100 Billion outstanding. Why is that only single digit change to EPS?
Amortization of intangibles and deferred revenue around licensing. Net income impacts different. Transaction and restructure costs also offset OI.

12. Do you get ALL characters, unlike Marvel where some characters were precluded?
There are very little incumberances. Some distribution incumberances with Fox and previous movies, and Paramount incumberances with Indiana Jones. Fewer incumberances than we had with Marvel.

13. Congrats! You're risking the wrath of the entire Internet! What are you doing with ILM?
Let it remain as is. They do work for multiple studios, no change. Does decent business, every intention of staying in.

14. How much did 3D revenue differential affect 3D strategy?
Can't compare recent movies to old ones. Adjusted actual BO to inflation with international BO today, relative to old ones. Adjusted prominence of 3D to tent pole films and revenue stream. Total value of past three films = $1.5B. 40% of BO comes from 3D releases for tent pole films.

15. Interactive, social gaming? Lucas seems good, what is strategy around that? Social vs console gaming.
Focus more on social and mobile instead of console. Licensing property vs developing. Based on story telling and characters.

16. Anything personally going on GL and why he's selling out now?
(Adam note, lol) No words in George's mouth. About 4-5 years ago, he started contemplating a form of retiring, he put that in process. Identified Kathleen kennedy to run company. Started discussing with Disney 1.5 years ago. He will serve as consultant, doing consulting now on the basic development for next SW film trilogy starting 2015. He intends to retire.

17. Indiana Jones - Does Paramount require exit fees?
Disney didn't ascribe any values to IJ because of encumberances. Not factored into acquisition.

18. Acquiring Marvel filled void for boys IP. Disney had princesses and fairies. Does SW further fill that boys IP licensing void.
Gives good footprint, never looked at boys vs girls for shelfspace. Just look for great IP.
Just happy to build on SW. Want to increase Boys IP for TV more than anything as seen with Disney XD and Marvel shows.

19. Distribution deal. If Fox has distro rights, how will that change with new deal?
No distribution rights for future films. When bought Marvel, Fox still had rights to some future film distribution.

20. What kind of production costs assumed for new SW films?
Too premature.

End of call and discussion of GAAP and forward looking statements.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

He's not referring to re-releasing five billion special editions Nick.

Gusto

Gusto

Threads merged.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He's not referring to re-releasing five billion special editions Nick.
Neither am I. But in his very next sentence, he mentions the books, video games, comics, etc.

Honestly, I've been tired of Star Wars since the end of the last trilogy. I don't even care about it any more. But the fact is, we've got one giant, evil corporate empire known for milking its franchises dry of every single possible dollar it can make, especially with tie-in merchandise, buying another giant, evil corporate empire known for milking its franchise dry.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Isn't Lasseter from Pixar running Disney now anyway? He pretty much put a stop to all the sequelitis (except for several Pixar projects, oddly enough).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He also put a stop to straight to video movies... but he did not.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Couple things:

2012_10_30 Allie Goertz on Disney Star Wars 7.JPG

And this is Star Wars at Disney:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I expect Disney-related Star Wars parodies from artists immediately.
[DOUBLEPOST=1351631634][/DOUBLEPOST]

That one really did not take long, but I guess it was planned in advance.

figmentPez

figmentPez

As usual, in making a joke about the situation, Ron Gilbert brings up a very good point:

2012_10_30 Ron Gilbert on Disney buys LucasFilm for Monkey Island.JPG

What does this mean for LucasArts games properties? Will Disney be more willing to put Grim Fandango up on Steam?

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'm picturing Disney execs at a meeting about sagging Disney World: Tomorrowland attendance...

Disney Exec 1: Tomorrowland really looks dated. Don't we have any sci-fi IPs to take advantage of?
Disney Exec 2: Well, we've got Buzz Lightyear, but we've kind of run that one into the ground.
DE 1: I mean, we've been using Monsters, Inc IP in Tomorrowland, we've got nothing!
DE 2: If only there was some way to get some more Star Wars-like things in there...
DE 1: Idea!

Zappit

Zappit

Sweet Merciful Baby Jesus-in-a-basket no...Forget Sandy, THIS is the real catastrophe.

Heh, now with that out of the way...

Let. Pixar. Do. It. The animated stuff hasn't been so bad, and Pixar just does animation better.

Adam

Adam

As usual, in making a joke about the situation, Ron Gilbert brings up a very good point:

View attachment 8711

What does this mean for LucasArts games properties? Will Disney be more willing to put Grim Fandango up on Steam?
Answered on conference call. Disney focussing game property strategy on social and mobile. And almost all of it on SW.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

OH NO! DISNEY WILL RUN STAR WARS INTO THE GROUND!!

Oh wait, that's right, it's already at rock bottom.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

[DOUBLEPOST=1351631634][/DOUBLEPOST]

That one really did not take long, but I guess it was planned in advance.
Those have been available at the Disney Parks for a couple of years at least. There are several Disney exclusive action figure packs and other merch that can only be found in the park or disneystore.com. They even have a "Built-Your-Own" Lightsaber setup in Disney's Hollywood Studios and Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney in Florida.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Someone pointed out that Leia is now officially a Disney Princess.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Disney also does Star Wars Weekends each year, have actors from the movies and cartoons come in, do a couple of special shows (Pez posted a video of one of those up there) and have some exclusive swag available to purchase.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just realized who I feel bad for in this: Dark Horse. They've held on to the Star Wars Comic rights for just over 20 years. Now if BOOM! Studios is any indication they can forget about renewing it.
I would assume that seeing as Disney also owns Marvel that it would open up the door to Marvel produced comics.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh great... Just when I was hoping we'd be free of the train wreck clusterfuck that are the post-1983 Star Wars movies...

Frank

Frank

You know, if Warren Spector ended up somehow in charge of Lucasarts in this whole thing, it would be a plus to me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Didn't people freak out like this when Disney bought Marvel? And wasn't the only big thing to come out of that a bunch of well-funded and entertaining movies?

I'm not seeing anything wrong here. It's not like Star Wars was producing anything fantastic, franchise-wise. The latest media releases have been mediocre at best, and enormous disappointments at worst. Hell, the Muppets had a spectacular comeback when Disney scooped them up, too. Instead of getting all Chicken Little on this, why not see how this unfolds? It's entirely possible this is the kick in the ass the franchise needs to stop being horrible.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Zappit

Zappit

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

The Avengers met Star Wars in the worst crossover ever produced.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Dammit, I wanted to post this! Ah well. Now if they DO make an animated ep 7, they should damn well have all the surviving actors in it as voice actors for all the living characters. And if not animated, they should at least give Mark Hamil the cameo he was promised...in 1976. Lucas is a dick, nuff said.

Adam

Adam

The new trilogy is live action.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The new trilogy is live action.
Then if their ain't a Mark Hamil cameo- I GON' CUT SOMEBODY! Or just not see it, whatevs.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the only Mark Hamill cameo I would approve of is Cock Knocker

ALSO: dream directors for the new trilogy:

Rian Johnson, Steven Spielberg, Duncan Jones, Paul Thomas Anderson (would never do it), Danny Boyle

Adam

Adam

The only Paul Anderson you're going to get to direct is the one you don't want to. That said, Disney has been very good with getting quality directors for their Marvel films; I don't think they're going to short change Star Wars. At least that's the impression I got from the CEO.

Jay

Jay

I'm pretty excited about this news.

No more Lucas? A movie planned?

I'm all in baby.

Oh... and George?

medium_c5e0d8218b7001401a95e476b4966ac4.jpg

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Disney has been very good with getting quality directors for their Marvel films;
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So what is ep seven gonna be about? Cos if it involves the plot from that Star Wars book about Han Solo's evil son killing Chewie...I don't think I'd stop crying after seeing that on the big screen. THE TEARS WOULD NOT STROP!

Adam

Adam

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yeah, I agree. Shane Black is an untested director, but everyone else has been good.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

So - I haven't really had time yet to pore over the release.

1) I'm assuming he will maintain some control over re-releasing the property - i.e. no Star Wars: the Original Cut on Blu-ray.

2) For the 7-9 trilogy, have they discussed whether the plan is to write original material? Or could they possibly just adapt the already fan-accepted Zahn trilogy?

Bowielee

Bowielee

1) I'm assuming he will maintain some control over re-releasing the property - i.e. no Star Wars: the Original Cut on Blu-ray.

2) For the 7-9 trilogy, have they discussed whether the plan is to write original material? Or could they possibly just adapt the already fan-accepted Zahn trilogy?
I'm afraid with Disney at the helm, they may just tell the EU to go fuck itself.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yeah, I agree. Shane Black is an untested director, but everyone else has been good.
He's trolling again (aka the Avengers thread) ;)

Adam

Adam

1. Originals are encumbered by Fox distribution deal. Not sure on details but Disney seems less concerned with them then going forward.

2. They have a treatment for the new trilogy already started. No one asked about influences for that treatment.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't get why I'm trolling when I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock

Favreau wasn't great, Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch, my misgivings about Avengers are well-documented, and I don't have anything strong to say about the others.

Shane Black owns though, that's why I'm cautiously optimistic for IM3

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I don't get why I'm trolling when I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock

Favreau wasn't great, Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch, my misgivings about Avengers are well-documented, and I don't have anything strong to say about the others.

It's because you purposely post anti-popular reviews posts on highly popular media threads for the sole purpose of trolling, which you yourself have admitted. Unless it's ironic like with Taylor Swift.

Noone takes you seriously anymore, which is a shame because at one time, your movie critiques were highly regarded.

Bowielee

Bowielee

No, you're trolling because that's all you ever do. People would take your opinions seriously if they weren't all presented as if you were a spastic gibbon.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm not being ironic, I fucking love Taylor Swift's music

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm not being ironic, I fucking love Taylor Swift's music
UN7f6.gif

strawman

strawman

Guh. It's like listening to one half of a phone conversation.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm cautious but excited about a new Trilogy in the coming years. Especially if it has anything to do with the Extended Universe stories, though I highly doubt it as Luke/Han/Chewie/Leia are too old to be played by their original actors and doing replacements don't tend to work very well. So will it be based on new characters? Hard to do with how definitive they -ended- the Jedi in the Prequels.

Adam

Adam

Have Mark Hammill cameo as an old Skywalker setting up a new Jedi order tutoring a force sensitive Kyle Katarn. I'd watch the shit out of that. Parts of the EU are incredibly rich and they have a character list of 17,000 to work with and a couple hundred planets.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am cautiously optimistic.

If they pull off a resurrection of the franchise like they did with many of the Marvel properties, I will be happy.

Also I really don't see them attempting the EU. They might, but with how difficult it would be to make the old actors work, they might decide to jump into the future a bit more and create a unique story with a whole new cast.

strawman

strawman

They found a plausibly young kenobi, they can most certainly find a plausibly old skywalker or two, etc.

But even if they wrote ironclad contracts with the EU writers that gave Lucas all rights, you know it would end up in court if they used the story, and they'd have to make some sort of payment. Nothing a movie studio hates more than paying someone for a good idea.

So it's far more likely that they will write their own sequels.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm afraid with Disney at the helm, they may just tell the EU to go fuck itself.
I'm hoping this won't happen, but I'm guessing it will.

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 can either be set immediately after Jedi, or be set further in the future. They can feature the original characters, or they can feature new characters.

If they're set immediately afterwards and have the same characters, right away you run into the problem where the original actors are too old to play their original roles. Imagine Carrie Fisher today in a gold bikini. So they'll probably need to recast the roles. That might result in a backlash from the fans.

Additionally, what happens to the main characters after the events of Jedi are already very well established and explored in the EU. How Leia and Han ended up married and having three kids (two of which are now dead), how Luke established a Jedi academy on Yavin 4, etc etc. These stories are pretty well loved by the hardcore Star Wars fandom in general, so contradicting them will also result in a fan backlash.

Alternatively, the new movies could be set further in the future, decades after the events of Jedi. The ages of the actors would now match their characters, so they could return. And it might be less likely they'll contradict EU canon. They could set the movies after the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, for example. This is wishful thinking though, I highly doubt this is what'll happen.

Instead, I'm guessing Disney will toss the EU out the window and just do whatever they want.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So it's far more likely that they will write their own sequels.
Starring Mickey Mouse!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I like how all the gamers are thinking that this means that we'll get Star Wars in our Kingdom Hearts.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Instead, I'm guessing Disney will toss the EU out the window and just do whatever they want.
I don't think they'll toss it out entirely, that seems like too much of "**** you!" to fans they'll want to keep.The Clone Wars show has enough retcons and changes in it without rendering the EU pointless to show you can do it, and like CynicismKills said, Disney has played nice with other properties they've bought. If they could actually bring back the old cast, I'd think they'd be more likely to do their own thing. But I have a hard time seeing that happening.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't think they'll toss it out entirely, that seems like too much of "**** you!" to fans they'll want to keep.The Clone Wars show has enough retcons and changes in it without rendering the EU pointless to show you can do it, and like CynicismKills said, Disney has played nice with other properties they've bought. If they could actually bring back the old cast, I'd think they'd be more likely to do their own thing. But I have a hard time seeing that happening.
Well, I'll admit I'm skeptical. The EU is filled to the brim with tiny details, to the point where EU canon even contradicts itself at times. This means any new movies with a setting anywhere close to where the EU takes place will end up contradicting something. Then they'll either have to go through all the retcon contortions, or just go "screw it, the EU is wrong and our version of events is right."

However, if they manage to get Ganner Rhysode's last stand into a film and do that scene justice, then they can have Lando fall in love with Wedge Antilles and name Episode 7 Brokeback Coruscant for all I care. Because that scene is pure awesome.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch
Yeah, getting the guy that does huge, sweeping Shakespearean epics to do a movie about mythical Norse gods is clearly mismatched. *eye roll*

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, I'll admit I'm skeptical. The EU is filled to the brim with tiny details, to the point where EU canon even contradicts itself at times. This means any new movies with a setting anywhere close to where the EU takes place will end up contradicting something. Then they'll either have to go through all the retcon contortions, or just go "screw it, the EU is wrong and our version of events is right."
It's not that hard to handle. The prequels screwed with a lot of stuff too, but the EU worked around them, and both exist side by side. It's not like Star Wars continuity was perfectly balanced before now. The person currently with overriding authority has shown a marked disregard with existing material he didn't create (and in some case, even the material he did create). There can be gaps and retcons that get filled in/corrected by some writer later or that fans will look the other way on/come up with theories that make them work. But throwing out the EU? That's another thing entirely, and I have a hard time believing that's a road they want to go down.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh-wee-yey! (oh-wee-yay!)
Oh-wee-yoh! (oh-wee-yoh!)
All the trouble we get in
With another rebel-lee-yon.

I don't get why I'm trolling...
Well...
when I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock
there it is.

If it is any consolation though, I do believe you genuinely adore Taylor Swift.

Kovac

Kovac

I'm hoping that if Disney sees enough money in it we might see a release of the restored/unmodified original trilogy. I'm not holding my breath but the chances of it are better than they were yesterday.

*Crosses Fingers*

Or perhaps it won't come to pass until George Lucas dies.

*Crosses Fingers*

Frank

Frank

I like how all the gamers are thinking that this means that we'll get Star Wars in our Kingdom Hearts.
Not all gamers like Kingdom Hearts.

I want Warren Spector to have unfettered access to Lucas Arts IPs. That would be great.

Adam

Adam

Disney is waaaaay more protective of their brands and IP than Lucas ever was. As much as I want a Dark Forces trilogy, it's probably going to disappear post-Disney and we're going to get a redefinition of canon tied directly to the movies. I'm not altogether upset about this as for every Thrawn or DF, we have another clone of the Emperor. For what essentially existed as three movies from the 70s and 80s, a huge universe was created by people other than Lucas, moreso than any other property on the planet. It won't be reboot like Abrams Star Trek but it will be a continuation of story with 'modern casting' playing a role in the treatment. Cast of characters wil include smooth savvy badboy, sassy female sidekick/love interest, black friend, Chewbacca, droids and an analogue for Darth Vader. Because that's what sells.

We could hope for a Star Wars Begins feel, but we'll probably get a very well-done, flashy, smooth, edgeless, heartless product. As this is an A List DIsney property, the director list is pretty small.

Gore Verbinski is high on the list. (Unfortunately)
Martin Campbell has repeatedly revived a dead franchise but had a massive mis-step with Green Lantern
Brad Bird is the in-house Disney animation star with only MI4 under his belt.

Unlikelies:
JJ Abrams. Too busy turning Trek into SW
Whedon. Releasing Avengers 2 the same year.
Spielberg. I think this is a no-brainer $$$wise but unlikely. Disney-Dreamworks are partners but Spielberg may shy away from taking Lucas's spot. And if Spielberg does, Lucas will be in there writing and consulting. Ugh.
Neill Blomkamp. I really like this idea but it's pretty risky.
Irvin Kershner. He dead.
Frank Darabont. From a script written by Stephen King. Ahahaha, no.
Ridley Scott. Mind blown.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cast of characters wil include smooth savvy badboy, sassy female sidekick/love interest, black friend, Chewbacca, droids and an analogue for Darth Vader. Because that's what sells.
tripping_the_rift_cast_9713l.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

59681_444145322289735_209206857_n.jpg

Gusto

Gusto

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, I can admit when I'm wrong. Which it looks like I am. Other statements have said that it'll follow Luke, Han, and Leia after Return of the Jedi. If they end recasting them (which a lot of people think is not unlikely given the actors' ages and attempts to distance themselves from Star Wars) and are tossing out the EU, I am much less interested.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...I'm just the only person without my mouth firmly entrenched around Joss Whedon's cock
Oh, you say that like it is a bad thing to do. What will your LGBT\AFL\CIO comrades have to say about that euphemism?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why can't I rate a post "terrifying"?

Adam

Adam

In publicity interviews relating to the release of the 1997 Special Editions of Episodes IV to VI and the planned Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Lucas began to convey that it was unlikely that he would make the sequel trilogy. At a 1997 Special Edition press conference Lucas remarked, "[E]veryone said, 'Well, are you going to do sequels to the first three?' But that was an afterthought; I don't have scripts on those stories. The only notion on that was, wouldn't it be fun to get all the actors to come back when they're 60 or 70 years old and make three more about them as old people. That's how far that has gone, but the first six will definitely get finished."[13] In a 1997 issue of Star Wars Insider, Lucas said, "The whole story has six episodes.... If I ever went beyond that, it would be something that was made up. I really don't have any notion other than, 'Gee, it would be interesting to do Luke Skywalker later on.' It wouldn't be part of the main story, but a sequel to this thing."[23] In an online Q&A hosted by Leonard Maltin and published in December 1997, Lucas was asked "Will we ever get to see Episodes 7, 8 and 9?", to which he answered, "Right at this moment, the answer is no. Once the prequel trilogy is complete I plan to put Star Wars on the shelf and walk away from it for good. There are many other kinds of films I would like to make."[24]

This was confirmed in an interview Lucas gave to Vanity Fair, published in its February 1999 issue. "When you see it in six parts, you'll understand," he said. "It really ends at part six." He added, "I never had a story for the sequels, for the later ones."[25][26][27] (In 2008, after all six films had been released, Lucas clarified that it was the resolution of the Anakin Skywalker / Luke Skywalker storyline that represented the saga's end: "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."[28]) Asked about the possibility of someone else making Star Wars films, Lucas said, "Probably not, it's my thing."[25][26][27] In August 1999, at a press conference in New York City to discuss The Phantom Menace, Lucas was categorical.

The following exchange at the press conference was reported by Starlog magazine[29]:
Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?​
Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.​
Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?​
Lucas: No. They will not.​
Q: So this trilogy ends it?​
Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.​
Full of SHIIIIIIIT.​

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

In the 80's he made it sound like he had 9 movies scripted. Then he waited roughly 20 years to start writing the first 3. So, full of shit.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Lucas is the Mitt Romney of the movie business. FLIPPITY FLOPPIN MOTHER FUCKER! :p

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am hopeful for this. Why? Because Lucas wasn't the only voice behind Star Wars. Hell, if George had his way Vader's big twist would be that he was just a robot. Yeah...that is interesting. And since he wasn't even going to give the fans ep 7 (what fans have wanted for YEARS) I say this is a breath of fresh air. And maybe they'll remake the prequels, where its a story we can actually believe happened before the original trilogy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He probably had an outline of some events, but there is no way he had all 9 done... and it's unlikely we'll get anything meaningful out of the next 3.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Star Wars episode VII: To Infinity and Beyond?

:D

strawman

strawman

What a bunch of worrywarts. Who cares if he had a viable 9 episode story nearly four decades ago? Star wars is a universe of characters with a dash of political intrigue, princesses, knights in shining armor, bad people turning good, good people turning bad, and family ties.

There's an interesting concept in airplane flight called Big Sky Theory, which essentially states that two planes are extraordinarily unlikely to hit each other, given their size relative to the space they are flying around in. The same can be true for any story universe. So there's an EU - the EU doesn't go into detail that covers every minute of each of the original character's lives - there are huge swaths of time and space which are essentially uncreated.

Any number of new stories could be created that wouldn't necessarily conflict with existing "cannon".

Lucas is a showman. He started with episode 3 simply to give the viewers something to chew on - this is merely one small slice of a universe he imagined to be quite expansive.

He originally started off by answering questions suggesting that there is more to tell, but quickly got tired of that and simply slammed the door shut because that's all people ever talked about, and he was clearly interested in talking about something else.

Perhaps at various times in his life he had rough ideas for plots prequels and sequels might explore. Perhaps he's read some of the EU and likes the broad strokes other creators have imagined for his universe.

None of that really matters though. When star trek II came out people weren't asking, "Well what's going to be in the next three movies?!?!"

Perhaps it will contain some or all of the same characters. Perhaps some of the previous actors will reprise their roles, or participate in new roles. Perhaps it will explore some other part of the universe.

It's a big universe, and there's no need to preemptively write it off or hype it up based only on the announcement that Disney thought the universe was worth 4 billion dollars and - hey, they plan on making money off it. Surprise, surprise!

It may be bad. It may be good. It may conflict with existing "cannon".

It's entertainment, and we'll just have to wait and see what they do with it.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

"Canon"

/Nitpick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

"Canon"

/Nitpick
/ad homonym attack

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I'm not attacking at all. Just clarifying a common word confusion.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...not getting the joke...

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

...Uhh, look over there! Something shiny!

:hide:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

None of that really matters though. When star trek II came out people weren't asking, "Well what's going to be in the next three movies?!?!"
Star Trek was already known as a continuing serial from TV. It is a little hard to see Luke, Han etc. having less than epic adventures.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Brannaugh was a hilarious mismatch
So true...

strawman

strawman

It is a little hard to see Luke, Han etc. having less than epic adventures.
Star Wars Episode VII: Luke Cleans the Toilet (turns out Jedi-ing isn't terribly profitable, should have gone into sithing like daddy said. He never lacked for money or minions.)
Star Wars Episode VIII: Leia Throws Up (Is she pregnant? Who's the father?!)
Star Wars Episode IX: Honey Boo-Boo Appears (Parallel universe, or time travel!?)
Star Wars Episode XXIV: Return On The Investment (We Paid Four Billion - Yes, That's A Four With Nine Zeros After It - For This Franchise And We Still Haven't Seen This Episode)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder what this will do to the Live Action TV Property that was supposed to come out 5 years ago?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Side note: I wonder how Indiana Jones is going to be affected by this.

evilmike

evilmike

Piotyr

Piotyr

I don't think Shia LeBeouf is going to be cast in Star Wars, so I don't see how it affects him.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I read that Indy is part of the deal too.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Indy's part of the deal, but it's tied up in distribution issues. It's really not considered an important part of the deal right now as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was poorly received for being too off formula and the silliness it had with some things (like the refrigerator and CGI monkeys).

Basically, they'd have to pay off Paramount if they wanted to do anything with it right now. It's just not worth doing it right now.

Frank

Frank

Everything that was once under the Lucas banner is included, ILM, LucasArts, Lucasfilm, etc.

Adam's post about the investor call said they weren't really concerned about any of the properties beyond Star Wars though.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Star Wars is where the money is. It's going to finace A LOT of Disney flops.

Also, I'm wondering if this is why Cartoon Network was downplaying Clone Wars this season, including moving it to a 9:30 am Saturday time slot, when it used to be one of their big darling shows. They may have caught wind of this in advance and are preparing for Disney to move the show to ether Disney or Disney XD. Then again, they moved Ben 10 Omniverse down there too and made the animation ugly...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I don't think Shia LeBeouf is going to be cast in Star Wars, so I don't see how it affects him.
Great Piotyr, NOW THATS ALL I'M WORRIED ABOUT!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Darth-Vader-goes-to-disneyland.gif

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Vader and Holo Mickey.jpg

Hylian

Hylian

I am still a bit nervous about this purchase but I will keep an open mind and hope for the best

figmentPez

figmentPez

from The Mary Sue:
5 Things Other Than Star Wars That Disney Owns Now

Most of these I knew, but some I didn't:

1. Indiana Jones
2. LucasArts (and I did not know there is already a version of Pit Droids for iOS. When do Yoda Stories and Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures get re-releases?)
3. Labyrinth (well, a partial interest at least)
4. Willow (home video and premium television distribution rights)
5. Howard the Duck (the movie to go along with the comic they already got with Marvel)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

from The Mary Sue:

1. Indiana Jones
2. LucasArts (and I did not know there is already a version of Pit Droids for iOS. When do Yoda Stories and Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures get re-releases?)
5. Howard the Duck (the movie to go along with the comic they already got with Marvel)
...damn. When Disney buys the rights to something they go all out and DAMN the consequences. They so cray-cray.

Bowielee

Bowielee

from The Mary Sue:

1. Indiana Jones
If this whole thing results in the Lucasarts library of games being re-released, or better yet, sequels to Full Throttle or Grim Fandango (with the appropriate creative teams behind them) then I'm all for it. I would literally pay full 60.00 retail price for a version of Grim Fandango that works with modern windows machines.

As to the acquisition itself, Disney couldn't do any more harm to the franchise than Lucas already did.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think we should just flat out say that Disney Creative Team > George Lucas. Even if it's not amazing, it'll be better than the shit he dragged it through.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If this whole thing results in the Lucasarts library of games being re-released, or better yet, sequels to Full Throttle or Grim Fandango (with the appropriate creative teams behind them) then I'm all for it. I would literally pay full 60.00 retail price for a version of Grim Fandango that works with modern windows machines.

As to the acquisition itself, Disney couldn't do any more harm to the franchise than Lucas already did.
FULL FANDANGO OR GRIM THROTTLE SEQUEL! YES YES YES! Oh please Disney, do the right thing! And by right thing, make sure Schaefer is behind it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Even though it'll never happen, I'd love to see the rights to Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, etc, given to Double Fine.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Or at least let Tim work on the damn thing. Or- OOH! Let Steve Purcell make that Sam and Max game that never happened! The one that was gonna have a Steam punk Mega-Max in it! They could call it "Sam and Max: The forgotten case." I love the new games, but I'd love even more to see what the original 3-D game would have looked like.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Even though it'll never happen, I'd love to see the rights to Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, etc, given to Double Fine.
They probably won't get the rights back, but it is entirely possible that Disney would okay re-releases on Steam.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As stated before, I just want a version of Grim Fandango that doesn't require me to run a windows 98 virtual machine.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

As stated before, I just want a version of Grim Fandango that doesn't require me to run a windows 98 virtual machine.
http://residualvm.org/

It's coming pretty soon, from what I understand.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, I'll have to dig out my disks. Though, that Monkey Island was hands down the worst one produced.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know I've run it on XP 32 bit.

Krisken

Krisken

Fuck all that. Re-releases of Tie Fighter.

Espy

Espy

Unlikelies:
JJ Abrams. Too busy turning Trek into SW
Whedon. Releasing Avengers 2 the same year.
Spielberg. I think this is a no-brainer $$$wise but unlikely. Disney-Dreamworks are partners but Spielberg may shy away from taking Lucas's spot. And if Spielberg does, Lucas will be in there writing and consulting. Ugh.
Neill Blomkamp. I really like this idea but it's pretty risky.
Irvin Kershner. He dead.
Frank Darabont. From a script written by Stephen King. Ahahaha, no.
Ridley Scott. Mind blown.gif
Hahahahaha, this list was made of awesome. +10 espy points to you sir.

If Lucas is actually "consulting" he's going to have his hands all over it. People at Lucasfilm can't say no to the guy, Spielberg can't even say no to him. I'll be impressed if Disney can/whomever Disney hires to direct can.

tegid

tegid

Yes, but him no being the guy in charge can make a huge difference. For instance, he may have something to say about the story or the character design, but I doubt he'll do that thing where he's presented wildly different character designs and approves the one he likes and more or less builds the story around that.

Espy

Espy

Yes, but him no being the guy in charge can make a huge difference. For instance, he may have something to say about the story or the character design, but I doubt he'll do that thing where he's presented wildly different character designs and approves the one he likes and more or less builds the story around that.
Thats the question really, what role and how much control will he truly have?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Remember that a lot of George Lucas' success with the early Star Wars was because he had talented people around him who weren't afraid to say no to totally stupid ideas.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I know I've run it on XP 32 bit.
Yeah, it still ran on XP because it was still the win 98 architecture. As of Vista, it doesn't work at all without some form of emulation.

Adam

Adam

If Lucas is actually "consulting" he's going to have his hands all over it. People at Lucasfilm can't say no to the guy, Spielberg can't even say no to him. I'll be impressed if Disney can/whomever Disney hires to direct can.
F YEAH!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

The only reason people didn't say no was because in those situations he was the BOSS not the consultant. This time around they can very easily and with no worry say -That's a stupid idea George, we're going to go with this instead- albeit in a friendly way.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fuck all that. Re-releases of Tie Fighter.
I hope they would put the Imuse engine back in to do the music... it's just not the same with a looping CD soundtrack. Half my situational awareness came from changes in the music.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I freakin' love IAMARG!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Chainsawsuit and Shortpacked also made comics about how Star Wars/Disney jokes will be lazy and tired.

I say jokes about how Star Wars/Disney jokes will be lazy and tired are lazy and tired.

figmentPez

figmentPez

2012-11-01-123.jpg

Patbird & Galesaur

Oh my, Russel made me laugh out loud. The last one made me stop and think, even if "Simpsons Did It".

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This just popped into my head...will Disney be powerful enough to buy DC later? Cos I am actually all for that. Why? Five words: Marvel vs. DC the video-game.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

This just popped into my head...will Disney be powerful enough to buy DC later? Cos I am actually all for that. Why? Five words: Marvel vs. DC the video game.
Time-Warner will not give up DC Comics, too many characters to make crappy movies featuring them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A single company owning virtually all recognizable comic book characters in existence would only be bad for the medium as a whole. The fact that it's primarily divided up into 2 companies is STILL bad for the medium as a whole, but less so.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

A single company owning virtually all recognizable comic book characters in existence would only be bad for the medium as a whole. The fact that it's primarily divided up into 2 companies is STILL bad for the medium as a whole, but less so.
I think that is quite a over-reaching statement. More people know the Archie characters than most of the characters that DC and Marvel have. We're a little closer to the industry, and characters that we recognize in "civvies" are unknown to most even in "uniform." Not to even mention things like Tin Tin and Asterix. Also, many do group comic strips and comic books together, so they think of Garfield or Annie as being the same as Batman in being a comic character.

I heard many "civilians" after the last Batman movie, "I heard Catwoman was going to be in this movie. She wasn't there at all." They were looking for someone in the catsuit, and they thought that Bane was just made up for the movie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....right. My hope for a video game I've wanted since I was ten blinded me from the fact that this would end in a evil monopoly of the comic books genre that would force grab the gonads more than they all-ready were. Hind-sight's a bitch.

Edit:Actually now I'm not sure. It wouldn't really change the industry, more or less combine the two forces into one thingamajig. It would still be a giant monopoly, but the industry would generally stay the same.

Of course there is also the debate that the bigger it is, the harder it will fall.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

In a Marvel Vs DC battle, Marvel would always lose due to their main cast being more relatable to regular people (which was always their intent) and DC's main cast being about near god-like characters.

That conversation's been done to death in intimate detail but that's basically what it boils down to.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Superman vs Hulk vs Goku, triple threat match!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Superman vs Hulk vs Goku, triple threat match!
Not just any Hulk- WORLD BREAKER HULK! I know that comic was stupid schlock but- WORLD BREAKER!

And sure the DC universe has some power-players but Marvel has some good ones too. Thor, Hulk, Hercules, the Sentry, Jean Grey(okay maybe not them for the universe's sake), Franklin Richards, Doctor Doom, and many more.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Not just any Hulk- WORLD BREAKER HULK! I know that comic was stupid schlock but- WORLD BREAKER!

And sure the DC universe has some power-players but Marvel has some good ones too. Thor, Hulk, Hercules, the Sentry, Jean Grey(okay maybe not them for the universe's sake), Franklin Richards, Doctor Doom, and many more.
Like I said, I was mostly comparing main cast to main cast. Pretty much noone on the Marvel side could touch Superman with the exception of Hulk/Thor/Hercules and even out of those only Hulk would do well in the long run and that's just one of the DC -Gods-

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You want match-ups Gilgamesh ? I'LL GIVES YA MATCH-UPS!

Quicksilver vs. the Flash.

Etrigan/Blue devil vs. Ghost Rider/ Other Ghost Rider

Wonder Woman vs. She-Hulk

Bat-man vs. Iron Man

Wolverine vs.....Lobo? Nah too obvious. Probably end in a draw or something.

Dr. Strange vs. Zatarra

And that's off the top of my head.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Flash
Dunno
Wonder Woman
Batman
Draw
Dr.Strange

That wasn't even much of a -main cast- bout but I'll give it to ya.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hope Sentinel stays dead. He was a terrible gimmick character.

strawman

strawman

I wonder how many gimmick characters turned into good characters once placed in good hands and developed well?

Covar

Covar

I wonder how many gimmick characters turned into good characters once placed in good hands and developed well?
In comics, none. Particularly with a character in the big two, if only one person can write a character well, they're not a good character.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Quicksilver vs. the Flash.

Wolverine vs.....Lobo? Nah too obvious. Probably end in a draw or something.
Both of these happened.

Flash won over Quicksilver, pretty easily too. They had to throw in the Flash stopping to rescue people in order to even give Quicksilver a chance (Flash's top speed at the time was nearly the speed of light, Quicksilver topped out at the speed of sound.)

Wolverine took down Lobo, but most of the fight took place off-screen behind a bar. It was a really lame fight.

Granted, I think both of those were decided by fan voting, but I'm not sure.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In comics, none. Particularly with a character in the big two, if only one person can write a character well, they're not a good character.
Not the comic medium, but Mr Freeze was a throwaway gimmick character until Batman TAS.

figmentPez

figmentPez

In comics, none.
Not a Deadpool fan, I take it?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wolverine took down Lobo, but most of the fight took place off-screen behind a bar. It was a really lame fight.
It's strongly implied that Wolverine just bought off Lobo and then Lobo took a dive.

Frank

Frank

Did you mean Sentry? If so, he wasn't all bad.

Yeah!

Of course, it's Marvel, sooooo....

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

@Li3n

@Li3n

While we're talking about SW, this is awesome:

And why in blazers did they give Cletus robot legs, the symbiote keeping him alive/together is so much simpler (works for Flash Thompson).

Frank

Frank

Wow, holy shit, that's gorgeous.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....Cletus has robot legs now? I'm not sure if that is weird, or just plain dumb.

Both of these happened.

Flash won over Quicksilver, pretty easily too. They had to throw in the Flash stopping to rescue people in order to even give Quicksilver a chance (Flash's top speed at the time was nearly the speed of light, Quicksilver topped out at the speed of sound.)
Now I can buy Pietro losing back then, but if he fought the Flash as he is now it would be an entirely different fight. The dude can time-travel and what-not now.

Now against the Savage Hulk yes Supes would win fan-votes or not. While Hulk is super strong and full of gamma radiation(one of Superman's few weaknesses ) Superman would still be smarter and able to win as long as he would keep his distance from the Hulk's body. Now the Green Scar on the other hand, Supes is freaking done for. Dude was a military genius, ace combattant, and even the Sentry quite arguably the most powerful and dangerous Marvel super couldn't beat him. It took a freakin' Laser ex machina from Tony Stark ( or someone else I don't care) in order to take him out for fucks sake! Combine this with the fact that to Superman he's basically a walking ball of Kryptonite ol' Clark wouldn't stand a chance. Nowadays the fight would be all conditional.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Re: Star wars youtube

Yeah, welcome to months ago in the Awesome Videos thread.

Bowielee

Bowielee

....Cletus has robot legs now? I'm not sure if that is weird, or just plain dumb.
In that picture, he's talking to his Symbiote that appears to be in some sort of containment unit. So, the legs make sense, stupid as it may be in concept.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

In that picture, he's talking to his Symbiote that appears to be in some sort of containment unit. So, the legs make sense, stupid as it may be in concept.
Weird. Also, what is up with Cletus's art change? Why did he change from looking all crazy evil to looking like some Stoned body builder surfer looking guy? He doesn't look right.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, he should basically look like Rorschach without the mask.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, he should basically look like Rorschach without the mask.
EXACTLY! That is how I've always seen Cletus Cassidy, from the cartoon to the comics. I can see him being muscular(though still a stretch) but why did they change his face? And considering thats how he looks- WITHOUT the Carnage symbiote makes even less sense! Without the symbiote he should revert to his crazy face. I can deal with costume changes, but this is just too much.

Frank

Frank

That's Clayton Crane's art I think. While some of his stuff can look stunning, sometimes he doesn't quite nail what a character should look like. For example, he drew the most terrifying Archangel I've ever seen (after them anti-mutant folks drew out the Apocalypsian Death personality from him) early on in the last run of X-Force I read.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...why does Archangel look like he wants to eat me? Is he evil now? Or is he an anti-hero? I'm not that much up on X-men.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

If I may interject... My knowledge of Marvel and DC characters is fairly limited, since I don't actually read any of the comics, and we get the cartoons here at a delay if at all. But I think Dr Fate would be a more appropriate opponent for Dr Strange. Both are reclusive mystics wielding arcane powers and facing extradimensional horrors on a daily basis.

Covar

Covar

If I may interject... My knowledge of Marvel and DC characters is fairly limited, since I don't actually read any of the comics, and we get the cartoons here at a delay if at all. But I think Dr Fate would be a more appropriate opponent for Dr Strange. Both are reclusive mystics wielding arcane powers and facing extradimensional horrors on a daily basis.
If you wanted to go with similarity yes, if you wanted to go with popular magic users, Zatanna would be a better choice. In fact Zatara is about a poor of a choice as John Constantine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Both of these happened.

Granted, I think both of those were decided by fan voting, but I'm not sure.
That was DC vs Marvel and most of the fight outcomes were decided by fan votes.

Matchups not decided by fans were (winners in bold):

Aquaman vs Namor
Electra vs Catwoman
Flash vs Quicksilver
Robin vs Jubilee
Silver Surfer vs Green Lantern
Thor vs Captain Marvel

Fights decided by fan vote:
Batman vs Captain America
Spider-Man vs Superboy
Wolverine vs Lobo
Storm vs Wonder Woman
Superman vs Hulk

The fan voted ones were no surprise, with the exception of Storm, but really, it was around the time that the X-Men cartoon had wrapped up, so not as much of a surprise taking that into account.

Those were the ones focused on, but there were also other fights, such as Thanos vs Darkseid, Venom vs The Joker, but they were in the background with some not even having clear winners.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

North_Ranger Oooooooh, that would be a better fight! I bet Fate would win, he cool.

Bowielee

Bowielee

North_Ranger Oooooooh, that would be a better fight! I bet Fate would win, he cool.
Actually in the Amalgam universe, which was the series following DC vs Marvel, the two universes merged together creating a new universe that had mashups of characters from both universes. One of the characters was Dr. Strangefate.

They all ran for one issue. The Metal Men were mashed with the X-Men, Batman with Wolverine, Superboy with Spiderman, Daredevil with Catwoman. I think there may be trades, I'd say check it out, at least for the insanity of it all.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh right the Amalgam universe! I forgot all about that! Mostly due to...the weirdness of it all.

To this day I can't believe that "Lobo the duck" is a thing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

doctor-strangefate_super.jpg

Espy

Espy

He must run into things all the time.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He must run into things all the time.
Yeah, does his second sight help him see through those needlessly small eye holes?

Espy

Espy

"Walls, his only natural enemy."

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That was DC vs Marvel and most of the fight outcomes were decided by fan votes.

Matchups not decided by fans were (winners in bold):

Aquaman vs Namor
Electra vs Catwoman
Flash vs Quicksilver
Robin vs Jubilee
Silver Surfer vs Green Lantern
Thor vs Captain Marvel

Fights decided by fan vote:
Batman vs Captain America
Spider-Man vs Superboy
Wolverine vs Lobo
Storm vs Wonder Woman
Superman vs Hulk

The fan voted ones were no surprise, with the exception of Storm, but really, it was around the time that the X-Men cartoon had wrapped up, so not as much of a surprise taking that into account.

Those were the ones focused on, but there were also other fights, such as Thanos vs Darkseid, Venom vs The Joker, but they were in the background with some not even having clear winners.
Aquaman I can understand.
I'll give Electra this one, she's definitely better trained.
Flash is a non-contest.
Robin also much better training.

This is where I start disagreeing:
There's no way Surfer could take on a Green Lantern. The power level difference is immense.
Spider-Man over Superboy? That was a joke correct?
Wolverine vs Lobo we already agreed on.
Storm vs Wonder Woman? Ha! Right.....
Superman Vs Hulk, I always felt this one would be a stand-still.

I agree Thor would best Marvel as well as Batman having an upperhand on Captain though.

Espy

Espy

They were popularity contests. So, it wasn't really about who would really win, etc, etc.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Aquaman I can understand.
In what backwards universe do you live in where a wannabe like Aquaman would last more then 5 seconds against Namor "I killed people in my 1st appearance and didn't even care to check if they where people first" the Submariner?

There's no way Surfer could take on a Green Lantern. The power level difference is immense.
Are we talking about the same "Herald of Galactus, can use his power cosmic to stop the Hulk" Silver Surfer? Because GL is the one that would be pretty outmatched.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

You're right. I take back the Namor vs Aquaman and give it to Namor.

Cosmic Power < Green Lantern though. Sorry.

Far

Far

I am reading rumors that Matthew Vaugn is in talks to direct episode 7 and I am completely on board with that if they turn out to be true.

@Li3n

@Li3n

It's funny to me because at least Aquaman has a chance, but he loses because Namor is more vicious/badass, but you're actually implying that a GL ring is more powerful then Galactus (and it's Power Cosmic)...

GasBandit

GasBandit

... Infinity Gauntlet? Anybody brought that up yet?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Even the Green Lantern Corps power WAS more powerful than the power cosmic, Green Lanterns themselves have easily exploitable weaknesses. Silver Surfer could use his telepathic powers to fill Hal's mind with fear losing his will-power, create yellow or red constructs using his energy manipulation powers to take out the green constructs, or just wait until the ring runs out of juice so that when he tries to recharge Silver Surfer would strike.

Frank

Frank

Power Cosmic can create black holes, give life to planets, evolve sentient creatures out of nothing. Surfer is silly overpowered.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified.

I'm a Lantern biased geek. There's no swaying me even with facts.

Frank

Frank

I mean, (UGH, I'M GETTING INTO OF THESE CONVERSATIONS) on paper, Superman shouldn't even really be much of an issue for Silver Surfer. It would never be written that way, of course, but you know....comics!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Spider-Man over Superboy? That was a joke correct?
Kyle Rayer had just gotten the ring at this point, and was pretty noob-ish in using it. That said, the Power Cosmic seems pretty on par with a GL power ring.

Superboy was pretty new to the game as well, he was still in the "charge at stuff and hit it" phase, and Spidey has experience in taking out stronger opponents. I buy it, since Superboy got taken down by an environmental hazard (eletrical transformer). Superboy is resilient to physical impact, but vulnerable to fire, and I think electricity too.

Storm vs Wonder Woman? Ha! Right.....
Considering that wonder woman had Storm by the leg at one point, this fight should have gone to WW. I'm not buying that a couple of lightning bolts takes her down. Even though this was a fan-vote win, it still needed to be written better. Storm is powerful enough to do damage to Wonder Woman, but not quick enough in close combat.

Also, Wonder Woman had Thor's hammer just before the fight and put it down to make the fight fair. I wonder if that ever went anywhere.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's no swaying me even with facts.
:p

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ok Ok I'll submit:

Surfer may have power points over Lantern, but the Corps will always have my heart.

I've been swayed.

GasBandit - I've resigned my point over facts in the past many times before. Have you?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok Ok I'll submit:

Surfer may have power points over Lantern, but the Corps will always have my heart.

I've been swayed.

GasBandit - I've resigned my point over facts in the past many times before. Have you?
You quitter.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

You quitter.
I'm open to other opinions. Sorry that's quitting.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Superboy is resilient to physical impact, but vulnerable to fire, and I think electricity too.
Going into burning buildings is pretty much an everyday thing for someone like Superboy, but I'd imagine something hotter would do some damage. Same with electricity; a downed power line would probably be doable, but not getting slammed into a power transformer. I'd almost say Spidey might have better luck with water or ice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm open to other opinions. Sorry that's quitting.
Quitting hell, that's downright intellectual promiscuity. You slut.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Quitting hell, that's downright intellectual promiscuity. You slut.
Now that's something I can agree to.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Going into burning buildings is pretty much an everyday thing for someone like Superboy, but I'd imagine something hotter would do some damage. Same with electricity; a downed power line would probably be doable, but not getting slammed into a power transformer. I'd almost say Spidey might have better luck with water or ice.
Superboy was explicitly not impervious to fire and other energy attacks. That was a big story element in showing how his powers differed from Superman's, and that the cloning process was imperfect. Some mumbo-jumbo about tactile-telekinesis but basically bullets didn't hurt him, but fire did. His powers have since changed, according to the Wikipedia article, but at that time energy attacks were one of his weaknesses.

Frank

Frank

See, the argument I could see be made against Silver Surfer is that he's about the single most inconsistently written comic character of all time (yeah, I'm going that far).

He's gone from this:

to this:

to this:

Here should be a picture of Hulk hammer punching Silver Surfer while he completely no sells it but I cannot find it on the internet anymore. Always used to get used in arguments about his durability.

and back again, no one can decide what he can or cannot do.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

In what backwards universe do you live in where a wannabe like Aquaman would last more then 5 seconds against Namor "I killed people in my 1st appearance and didn't even care to check if they where people first" the Submariner?
How about the backwards universe where the Aquaman in question is not the pansy-ass, always-gets-picked-last-to-play-dodgeball, mismatch-scale-wearing pussy that you see in just about every show making fun of superheroes, but the name-taking, own-hand-chopping, land-dweller-hating badass that you see in, for instance, Justice League Unlimited.

Seriously, the man chopped his own fucking hand off to save his child (at least in the animated series), then replaced it with a fucking hook/harpoon.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The text from the fight:

Killer Whale: Look out, swimmer!

Aquaman: What? Is the Mariner - - ?

Namor: You purport to be an Atlantean King, eh, "Aquaman"? I am neither amused nor impressed by you!

A: You know, at my worst, I was morose. But you're really insufferable, Namor. Must be the job.

N: Surrender, Atlantean impostor. Save us time, so we can return to our respective peers and develop an alternative plan. As it stands, your strength is no match for mine.

A: Ah, but fortunately I'm loaded with charm.
A *wraps Namor in a cord fired from his hook hand*
A: The bad news is the cord is unbreakable. The good news is, I'm dazzled by your coiffure.

N: Blond buffon! Unbreakable to you, perhaps, but not to a true scion of Atlantis.

A: Well, I've done plenty of sighin' in Atlantis, too.

N: Plenty of...? What are you? An Idiot? Have you no respect for the stakes for which we battle?

A: "Respect"? Namor, if I dwell on it too much, I'll curl up into a ball until it's over. So you'll pardon me if I keep my sanity and focus my own way.

N: And pardon me if I finish this farce. For you are helpless and I am hardly immobi...
*shadow falls on Namor*
N: ...lized?

KW *lands on Namor*

A: Now you're immobilized. That's your weakness, Namor, you're too noble to cheat.

Covar

Covar

See if they really went at it Aquaman would win no contest. Arthur has telepathic control over all sea life, and that includes Atlanteans. A slight edge in strength (which is hard to say, IIRC they're very closely matched when in water) can't make willpower saves.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The Power Cosmic is infinite, the Green Lantern has to charge up at some point. Silver Surfer doesn't. If I recall correctly, that's exactly how he defeated GL.

Sorry, missed some replies, I see you already conceded.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Could Silver Surfer take on Super man? I mean he can manipulate any energy, so crafting radioactive or magical energies that would weaken Supes would be easy for him.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Could Silver Surfer take on Super man? I mean he can manipulate any energy, so crafting radioactive or magical energies that would weaken Supes would be easy for him.
DC won't ever let Supes lose...

See if they really went at it Aquaman would win no contest. Arthur has telepathic control over all sea life, and that includes Atlanteans. A slight edge in strength (which is hard to say, IIRC they're very closely matched when in water) can't make willpower saves.
Technically Marvel's atlanteans aren't sea life, they where humans once, like the Eternals and Deviants or mutants...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye

Frank

Frank

That's a wash.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd say Green Arrow. He's actually more seasoned than Hawkeye.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bibbo Bibbowski vs Jonathan Murdock

Legion of Super-Pets vs Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers

Metron vs Uatu the Watcher

but the real question is, what Marvel character do you pit against Snowflame?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Bibbo Bibbowski vs Jonathan Murdock

Legion of Super-Pets vs Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers

Metron vs Uatu the Watcher

but the real question is, what Marvel character do you pit against Snowflame?
Does Marvel have a character who's superpowers are fueled by cocaine?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Does Marvel have a character who's superpowers are fueled by cocaine?
Robert Downey Jr.?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I would've argued Deadpool.

Well-played, Gas. Well-played indeed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I would've argued Deadpool.

Well-played, Gas. Well-played indeed.
Please, everyone knows Deadpool would fight Deathstroke(or Deadshot)! Deadpool would probably quit soon after, after being in ol' Slade's divine presence for too long.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Onion said:
Disney Announces 'Star Wars 7'

Upon acquiring Lucasfilm Ltd. last week, the Walt Disney Co. announced it was making a seventh episode of the Star Wars franchise for release in 2015. Here is what viewers can expect in the Disney-produced sequel:
  • Phil Collins to sing opening crawl
  • French kisses between siblings to be cut by one-third or more
  • Ewok babies; also, Yoda babies, Wookiee babies, and droid babies
  • Sassy fairy droid that you feel bad for being attracted to
  • A senile, gray-furred Chewbacca
  • A wizard casts a spell that turns R2-D2 into a real boy
  • Randy Newman–penned theme song called “Long, Long Ago We Were Friends”
  • There’s no delicate way to say this so here it is: lots of hot 12-year-olds

figmentPez

figmentPez

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'd have used a -terrified- option but for now I'll use disagree.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think I just vomited a little in my mouth...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does it make sense for eyes to scream? Because I think they want to do that right now.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Does it make sense for eyes to scream? Because I think they want to do that right now.
Would this help?

[DOUBLEPOST=1352505893][/DOUBLEPOST]Or maybe this?

Dei

Dei

http://starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Michael Arndt to Write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII

November 09, 2012
As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010).
For more news about Star Wars: Episode VII -- slated for a 2015 release -- keep checking StarWars.com.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dei beat me to it!

Still Disney is starting off strong, I'm quite hopeful.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...screenplay for Toy Story 3? Well *clap* no worries here up in this. As long as George doesn't suggest something horribly awful I think were good...bit of a long shot but still.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...screenplay for Toy Story 3? Well *clap* no worries here up in this. As long as George doesn't suggest something horribly awful I think were good...bit of a long shot but still.
Unlike Spielberg, these guys will be able to say no to him.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm really enjoying the crossover art:

Different Slave, Same Outcome by ~seniorgoldenspork

Leia by *14-bis

Gryfter

Gryfter

Now this I can get excited about. That's a very good start. Well played mouse... well played.

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I don't know about this...

He has to be voiced by James Earl Jones though... otherwise it just won't work damn it.

strawman

strawman

His body was burned on a funeral pyre. They showed him as a ghost joining yoda and kenobi in both versions of the movie. He's D - E - A - D dead.

I mean, come on! This is redonkulous. If they can resurrect that they might as well give yoda another go.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The big twist would be that he's a droid and just thinks he's Vader.

strawman

strawman

The big twist would be that he's a droid and just thinks he's Vader.
C3PO was carrying a copy of his childhood conscious, which switched on shortly after his death! Woo, now we get to kill two birds with one stone, a bad guy and KID3PO!

Or would it be DARTH 3PO?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Force Ghost? He was already shown as one after his redemption, but maybe there's some evil echo.

I could see it working, somehow.

Orr... how far after the originals is this one set? Maybe Jacen Solo could don the armor.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I just wonder how they're gonna pull this off without completely frakking up the Extended Universe.

Personally I'm more than willing to let them do that; I admit giving the whole "what happens after Jedi" universe, comics and novels alike, a big ol' pass 'cause it felt like an attempt to rip off money. Plus, the idealism of the original trilogy doesn't really sit well with the prolonged war, only to be followed by the Vong invasion - and some odd years later starting the cycle all over again, with the Sith taking over and killing almost all the Jedi for like... what is it, the 14th time?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I just wonder how they're gonna pull this off without completely frakking up the Extended Universe.
I'm about 99% sure they don't care about anything that happened in the EU.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm about 99% sure they don't care about anything that happened in the EU.
Good.

But I'm betting dollars to donuts there's still gonna be a helluva lot of people who'll whine and bitch about it if they don't remember to mention the Yuragonian Incident in the Whackamacko sector following Luke and Leia's visit to planet Cheez'Wiz.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

But I'm betting dollars to donuts there's still gonna be a helluva lot of people who'll whine and bitch about it if they don't remember to mention the Yuragonian Incident in the Whackamacko sector following Luke and Leia's visit to planet Cheez'Wiz.
Geez, at least get it right. Luke and Leia visited the water moon of Cool Whip. Frakin' Finns!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They'll probably keep the good bits of the EU, making some of it canon and re-releasing some of the books when the movies start coming out.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

As long as they don't do that sub-plot with emperor clones, I'm freaking golden.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think one question is, will this see some of the EU characters make it into the films? I'd love to see Mara Jade or Kyle Katarn actually made cannon.

I also have a bad feeling that the return of Darth Vader will involve cloning, ala Force Unleashed 2.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn are from official Lucas products. They are as canon as you can get without being in the movies. Basically, according to Lucas' own words, canon works like this...

Movie > TV > Game > Toy > Book > Other

Everything with an official Lucas license is canon, but the farther left you go, the more important that canon is. So if something in a movie contradicts anything else, the movie is right.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Wait, so Kyle Katarn and Starkiller are in greater cannon than Mara Jade or Han and Leia's children?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Geez, at least get it right. Luke and Leia visited the water moon of Cool Whip. Frakin' Finns!
No no, you're thinking the novel Star Wars: Now We're Just Making Shit Up, which included that sequence as a drug-induced dream vision in Nook Taraboo. The original events were introduced in the short story The Super Special Awesome Return of Jar Jar Binks.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait, so Kyle Katarn and Starkiller are in greater cannon than Mara Jade or Han and Leia's children?
Yes. This is because more people are exposed to the games than the books, just as more people are exposed to the TV shows and movies. They have higher canon because they have higher awareness. It's also easier to point to a single concrete media example for an event's depiction than to a series of books that the increasingly book avoiding American public wouldn't be aware of (and which may no longer be easily available).

bhamv3

bhamv3

But... Mara Jade and the Solo kids are awesome. :(

Oh, and you know what else is awesome? The single most awesome event in all of Star Wars?

Ganner's... frakking... last... stand!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I also have a bad feeling that the return of Darth Vader will involve cloning, ala Force Unleashed 2.
I remember that when I was a kid I thought "The Clone Wars" was people having to fight copies of themselves. I always pictured Obi Wan and Anakin fighting evil duplicates.

So much cooler than what we actually got.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I remember that when I was a kid I thought "The Clone Wars" was people having to fight copies of themselves. I always pictured Obi Wan and Anakin fighting evil duplicates.

So much cooler than what we actually got.
I thought the clone wars was the only really redeemable thing that came out of the prequels.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought the clone wars was the only really redeemable thing that came out of the prequels.
Agreed. I actually like the TV show. It's pretty well done and wasn't pants on head retarded until they brought back Darth Maul.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The cel-drawn animated Clone Wars was amazing. The computer animated intrigued me for a while, but I gave up on it. The movie I found to be wretched.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really didn't like the first season of Clone Wars, but I really picked it up when the bounty Hunters showed up.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn are from official Lucas products. They are as canon as you can get without being in the movies. Basically, according to Lucas' own words, canon works like this...

Movie > TV > Game > Toy > Book > Other

Everything with an official Lucas license is canon, but the farther left you go, the more important that canon is. So if something in a movie contradicts anything else, the movie is right.
What? No. Movies beat everything and the TV show beats everything else, yes, but after that, everything else is pretty much equal. Unless it's been retconed or otherwise declared non-canon (the What If comics for example). The form of media for C-canon material (which is "all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more") has nothing to do with canon precedence.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Now with the kids for me its not so much that they are in lesser cannon, but that Han's son basically killed Chewie. To this day I am conflicted about this.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Now with the kids for me its not so much that they are in lesser cannon, but that Han's son basically killed Chewie. To this day I am conflicted about this.
That's a poor way to look at it for the Anakin. Chewie willingly risked his life to save him, and yeah, he died in the process, but it's a choice he made. The Vong are to blame, not Anakin.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That's a poor way to look at it for the Anakin. Chewie willingly risked his life to save him, and yeah, he died in the process, but it's a choice he made. The Vong are to blame, not Anakin.
Like I said, I am conflicted about it. I don't see it as all bad, but I don't see it as all good either. All I know is if I saw Chewie dying on the big screen- THE TEARS WOULD NOT STOP! Aw crap, CRYING NOW! DAMN YOU EXPANDED STAR WARS UNIVERSE!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Like I said, I am conflicted about it. I don't see it as all bad, but I don't see it as all good either. All I know is if I saw Chewie dying on the big screen- THE TEARS WOULD NOT STOP! Aw crap, CRYING NOW! DAMN YOU EXPANDED STAR WARS UNIVERSE!
I had the same reaction when Chewie showed up in the prequels for no goddamn reason

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What? No. Movies beat everything and the TV show beats everything else, yes, but after that, everything else is pretty much equal. Unless it's been retconed or otherwise declared non-canon (the What If comics for example). The form of media for C-canon material (which is "all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more") has nothing to do with canon precedence.
I know the big games from the Star Wars line (KotOR 1 & 2, The Old Republic) and all their associated novels are generally considered by Lucas to carry higher canon than most other things because of sheer exposure and because of their impact on the franchise (exploring a time he never really touched on). For instance, there was a time when Darth Revan was going to make an appearance on the Clone Wars show in an episode about Anakin learning about former Darkside masters. Revan also got an action figure at one point (and it's still going for a decent price), as well as Darth Nihlus.

Shadows of the Empire is also generally considered canon, despite taking place during the original movies, because it's events really don't change how the movies play out. It got a comic and toy series as well, including recent reprints of the comics included with special themed action figures a while back.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hope they bring back the big, green, bunny from the Marvel Star Wars Comic...:troll:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I hope they bring back the big, green, bunny from the Marvel Star Wars Comic...:troll:
They did, renamed him Jar Jar.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Close, Jaxxon.

He was much cooler than Jar Jar though.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I know the big games from the Star Wars line (KotOR 1 & 2, The Old Republic) and all their associated novels are generally considered by Lucas to carry higher canon than most other things because of sheer exposure and because of their impact on the franchise (exploring a time he never really touched on). For instance, there was a time when Darth Revan was going to make an appearance on the Clone Wars show in an episode about Anakin learning about former Darkside masters. Revan also got an action figure at one point (and it's still going for a decent price), as well as Darth Nihlus.
It's still on the same level of canon as most of the books, comic books, and other media. Some of the games may have more points that Lucas likes to reference than some other EU sources (though it's not like Lucas has had a chance to use any of the post-ROTJ material, since he hasn't done anything past that point), but that would just be because Lucas likes those individual points, not that games in general are higher canon. Lucas pulls out whichever elements he likes (like Coruscant, Aayla Secura, swoop bikes) from the EU regardless of what type of media it's from.

Shadows of the Empire is also generally considered canon, despite taking place during the original movies, because it's events really don't change how the movies play out. It got a comic and toy series as well, including recent reprints of the comics included with special themed action figures a while back.
Well, yeah, it is canon, like most of the rest of the EU. C-canon to be specific.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Close, Jaxxon.

He was much cooler than Jar Jar though.
Not saying he's a bad character or nothing, but no way he'd get in the movie. Disney is a business after all, and having a character that looks like Jazz Jackrabbit may associate the movie with "failure".

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Actually, it is the other way around. Jaxxon is from a group of the first EU characters in Star Wars #8, the first comic that did not deal with the film.

And Lucas asked Marvel to never use him again. Besides, he was kind of a rip off of Bugs Bunny.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it's strange that he objects to the green rabbit guy in a space suit, but the naked otter people in The Old Republic are totally okay. And the cat girls... oh god the cat girls...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think it's strange that he objects to the green rabbit guy in a space suit, but the naked otter people in The Old Republic are totally okay. And the cat girls... oh god the cat girls...
And the race of salamander people with slug eye-stalks...

LordRendar

LordRendar

Hoping for a movie wher Dash Rendar appears. Swoon.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Any word on Boba Fett being in the sequels? Honestly I could go either way.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think they were saving him for the live action TV show that was supposed to have happened like 5 years ago.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think they were saving [blank] for the [blank] that was supposed to have happened like [blank] years ago.
This line has been used way too many times when talking about Star Wars hasn't it?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Boba Fett's not as cool as he's made out to be.

There I said it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Boba Fett's not as cool as he's made out to be.

There I said it.
He's really not isn't he? I mean yeah he looks cool, but in the movies he doesn't really do much. Sure there is probably some good expanded universe fiction, but give the right writer and anyone will seem cool.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But all the great EU stuff got flushed when they made him a whiny, twerp of a clone.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

But all the great EU stuff got flushed when they made him a whiny, twerp of a clone.
Yet another reason to despise the prequels. It also made the Clone Wars into something really really boring, and have the silliest title for a movie of all time. "Attack of the clones" I would yell that all the time in 6th grade cos of how silly it sounded.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Sadly he's pretty amazing in the EU, he even crawls out of and kills the Sarlacc, becomes Mandalore and helps take down the Darth that Han's kid becomes. Problem is none of this matters for the movies, so he's basically some jerk in a neat helmet who gets knocked into a living pit by a blind guy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sadly he's pretty amazing in the EU, he even crawls out of and kills the Sarlacc
According to the "A Barve Like That..." short story from the same collection as the one I linked about the rancor (Tales from Jabba's Palace), he didn't kill it so much as return every year or so to fire his ship's thrusters down into the sarlacc, repeatedly torturing it but leaving it alive.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php

2-3 Films a year, possibly each character based films to lead up to main Star Wars Episode films being a coming together ala Avengers?!?!

I don't want to get excited because that news could go just as wrong as it could go right but damn... imagine the possibilities?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hopefully they will delve into the good parts of the EU, with all those films.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hopefully they will delve into the good parts of the EU, with all those films.
Considering that there are detailed background stories for every damn character you see in the Mos Eisley cantina scene, I'm not sure they can avoid running into some pretty heavy concentrations of turd.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Considering that there are detailed background stories for every damn character you see in the Mos Eisley cantina scene, I'm not sure they can avoid running into some pretty heavy concentrations of turd.
Don't we know,

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I remember reading in this Star Wars book: Tales from the Canteena that there was a werewolf X-wing pilot. There are werewolves in Star Wars....why the fuck didn't this make it into the cartoon? GIVE ME MY JEDI WEREWOLF!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I remember reading in this Star Wars book: Tales from the Canteena that there was a werewolf X-wing pilot. There are werewolves in Star Wars....why the fuck didn't this make it into the cartoon? GIVE ME MY JEDI WEREWOLF!
Tales from the Cantina are meant to be rumors and stories shared that aren't canonically true. Tales from the Cantina also claims that there was a droid jedi, the astromech that Luke originally picked (that blew up)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Tales from the Cantina are meant to be rumors and stories shared that aren't canonically true. Tales from the Cantina also claims that there was a droid jedi, the astromech that Luke originally picked (that blew up)
Skippy the Jedi Droid by Peter David.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I dunno, 2-3 Star Wars movies a year? I know it's hard to tarnish the brand even more, but yikes...

I'm starting to think that the Avengers may not have been as good a thing as I thought, industry wise.

If it keeps going in this direction, we may be looking at movies interconnecting on the same scale as comics and we all know how great it is to have to buy 10 different titles just to know what's going on in one crossover event. This may not bode well.

Frank

Frank

I never knew Captain Bucky O'Hare was a Star Wars character. The things you learn.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I actually used to own the comic that panel is taken from.

Grumble...grumble, stupid ex getting rid of my comic collection.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So are there going to be Emperor Palpatine clones in these movies to? Because that was weird.

Just Me

Just Me

There'll be Darth Vader and in the end he'll figure out that he was dead and a ghost all the time and will go happily to meet with Yoda and Obi Wan.

strawman

strawman

"I see dead Jedi..."

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Maybe they'll bring in a Darth Vader robot! Which believe it or not, was originally what his twist was going to be. That he was a robot. This is why giving George complete control is a bad idea.

strawman

strawman

Maybe they'll bring in a Darth Vader robot!
He got his robot Jedi in the form of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Grievous

bhamv3

bhamv3

The fact that they're bringing Vader back says to me they're tossing out the entire EU. No Dash Rendar. No Han-Leia marriage and kids. And Boba Fett's probably permanently dead.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The fact that they're bringing Vader back says to me they're tossing out the entire EU. No Dash Rendar. No Han-Leia marriage and kids. And Boba Fett's probably permanently dead.
There's nothing that says they can't cherry pick the ideas they like out of the EU while still going their own way.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The fact that they're bringing Vader back says to me they're tossing out the entire EU.
Rumor, it's only a RUMOR. I really doubt they've gotten much beyond, "We're doing three movies. What do we want to do? Let's start tossing idea around."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I hope they'll put that story where that guy gets Darth Vader's glove and gets power from it in that one book. Mostly it never made sense to me then, and doesn't now and I would like for some sense make in that regard.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I hope they'll put that story where that guy gets Darth Vader's glove and gets power from it in the movie. Mostly it never made sense to me then, and doesn't now and I would like for some sense make in that regard.
No

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

bhamv3

bhamv3

There's nothing that says they can't cherry pick the ideas they like out of the EU while still going their own way.
True. But what they like about the EU might differ wildly from what the fanbase likes. Witness "we're bringing back Vader."

Rumor, it's only a RUMOR. I really doubt they've gotten much beyond, "We're doing three movies. What do we want to do? Let's start tossing idea around."
Also true. But seriously, bringing back Vader is a terrible idea, and the fact that it was even tossed out there does not bode well. It'd like writing a sequel to the Lord of the Rings and saying, "Y'know what, Frodo and Gandalf were the best characters, let's find some way to bring them back." No, don't do that, their part of the story is over, it's ended, they have closure now. Stop messing with it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think the new story should be about a new jedi whose trained by Luke Skywalker. Also Luke should be played by Mark Hamil. End of sentence.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Also true. But seriously, bringing back Vader is a terrible idea, and the fact that it was even tossed out there does not bode well. It'd like writing a sequel to the Lord of the Rings and saying, "Y'know what, Frodo and Gandalf were the best characters, let's find some way to bring them back." No, don't do that, their part of the story is over, it's ended, they have closure now. Stop messing with it.
I didn't say it was a good idea, but most likely it's somebody just throwing out something to keep the news running, and not a serious or even real idea. So many are treating it as I-saw-it-it-must-be-true type news. I really don't think they have much as far as the story goes yet, they've got a few months to get it hammered out, it's just so early in the story process that anything heard now might as well be taken as (to steal a phrase) unicorn farts.

bhamv3

bhamv3

But but but... neckbeard nerdrage about unsubstantiated Internet rumors is my God-given right as a random Netizen! You can't take that from me! :p

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

But but but... neckbeard nerdrage about unsubstantiated Internet rumors is my God-given right as a random Netizen! You can't take that from me! :p
You can have it, but I'm gonna pull out the Geekability and ruin your ruminations.

Frank

Frank

Leave both Vader and Boba Fett dead.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I hope they'll put that story where that guy gets Darth Vader's glove and gets power from it in that one book. Mostly it never made sense to me then, and doesn't now and I would like for some sense make in that regard.
Actually that's kinda the plot of an erotic short story featuring Mara Jade... which leaves me wondering, what the heck else have you been reading? ;)

Docseverin

Docseverin

If Disney had a damn lick of sense, they would do Old Republic movies.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A movie about Revan would be AWESOOOME

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It'll probably happen now, though likely not in the first batch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MORE PUPPETS! I am sick of CGI, and I want some classic muppet style movement.

Just Me

Just Me

MORE PUPPETS! I am sick of CGI, and I want some classic muppet style movement.
Hell yeah and amen to that!
Empire's Yoda lifting the X-Wing from the swamp, that scene alone had more powerful personality than all prequels combined.

And they better get John Williams for the music, Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars without his music. God bless him with many more years in good health.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Maybe Danny Elfman could cover for John as he ages and nears retirement...

Just Me

Just Me

Agreed he's getting old, but look at Jerry Goldsmith who also worked late...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I think Harry S. Plinkett should be in charge of continuity. Yeah I know hes not real, but still.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think Harry S. Plinkett should be in charge of continuity. Yeah I know hes not real, but still.
Hell yes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I missed where Disney canned the Clone Wars cartoon with it leading into its last season. I had a love/hate relationship with the show, but I wanted resolution of the main story.

But next year there will be a completely new Star Wars Cartoon dealing with the formation of the Rebellion and the Jedi Hunt.

fade

fade

Kasdan's already got some serious credentials under his belt: he previously co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
:)

Kasdan's counterpart Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes, and Jumper.
:eek:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sherlock Holmes was fine. The others... ehh...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sorry to necro the thread, but I just wrote an article on my blog about why I can't really call myself a Star Wars fan anymore.

http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/why-im-tired-of-star-wars/

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sorry to necro the thread, but I just wrote an article on my blog about why I can't really call myself a Star Wars fan anymore.

http://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/why-im-tired-of-star-wars/
The prequels did my fandom in, really. I remember in high school I was a rabid consumer of anything and everything Lucas. Now?..... meh.
http://gasbandit.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-think-im-tired-of-star-wars.html

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think the prequels did in a lot of people's fandom, honestly. But the fact that everyone else and their dog hasn't let Star Wars in general just die away is another big thing. It sort of died off before the prequels came in. Still popular and still talked about, but not parodied and referenced out the yin-yang like it has in the last decade or so.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And that's MY biggest concern about Disney's plan for the franchise. That they'll over-saturate the market with so much Star Wars that it'll completely lose whatever reverence and mystique it still had left. And that would make 5-year-old Cheesy sad. :(

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Star Wars, now produced by the company that brought you John Carter and The Lone Ranger...

Krisken

Krisken

Star Wars has brought me the X-Wing miniatures game, which just won the Dice Tower board game of the year. I care not how people feel about the franchise in general.

Just Me

Just Me

And that's MY biggest concern about Disney's plan for the franchise. That they'll over-saturate the market with so much Star Wars that it'll completely lose whatever reverence and mystique it still had left. And that would make 5-year-old Cheesy sad. :(
Wasn't that already done with the prequels?

I'm still strong in the Force in my own way, holding up the original trilogy flag whenever I can against all those Mandalorians-Sith Lords-Prequels-SWTOR-stuff-is-ubercool-ZOMG-Star Wars kids I meet in my SW Larp circle.
I actually want a Yoda-Puppet to pounce them whenever they open their mouths with anything not Ep IV-VI.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm so waiting for Disney to make a Star Wars Babies show.

fade

fade

What did me in came before the sequels. I tried to read the EU books, and every one I tried was just terrible.

BananaHands

BananaHands

What did me in came before the sequels. I tried to read the EU books, and every one I tried was just terrible.
I read one that had space werewolves in it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't particularly mind all the other stuff, but it's just something else than it was back when it was (mostly) just the trilogy. There are good EU stories out there, and games with good separate stories, and whatever, but all together, they've created a whole explained universe, not the big playground for the mind that was what was originally hinted at. And it's not always internally very consistent or logical, either.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Not disagreeing that there are some terrible EU books out there, but did you read the first three Timothy Zahn novels? Heir to the Empire is one of them, it features the original cast and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's ALREADY over-saturated. The prequels just gave them a chance to over-saturate things again with a new line of toys, extended universe books, cartoons, and video games.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I've been around Star Wars longer than you have Nick (just a matter of being older, not talking down to you on this... but jeez Jedi was your first in theater...but I digress (I'm just playing around there, don't be so serious)) and I've always made the decision to only partake of what *I* want to partake of. I liked some of the early EU novels (Zahn in particular), but didn't read most as I didn't find the ideas very appealing, I enjoyed some of the comic series, mostly depended on the art/story combination. I liked to goof off with X-Wing/Tie Fighter, but really enjoyed the Lego series that have come out in the past few years (I mean really, Lego pieces all over the place and didn't have to worry about stepping on them) but never cared to get into the Jedi games or Knights. I can understand why so many are upset about the Prequels (we all had our own vision for it, and Lucas can't write dialog to save his life) but at the same time there was no possibility to have any type of suspense in the series, WE KNEW HOW IT WAS GOING TO END, and were really just wanting to see the visuals of the places we knew had to be there. I really enjoyed the Clone Wars cartoon series because it actually expanded on the characterization of Kenobi and Skywalker (things that Lucas didn't do in the Prequels, or Star Wars 4, but other directors did in Empire and Jedi).

What Disney has in store, I'm looking forward to it. I think that they can bring back some of the wonder and joy by giving us stories that we don't know the eventual outcome of everyone. But again, I'll only partake in what *I* want to do with it. We, as older fans, have to remember that to keep this rolling along we have to recruit new fans to the franchise. That means there will be things that I won't like or care about (cartoons, comics, books, games...) and won't personally take part in, but be sure that if one of my young cousins (or eventually grandchild... that actually scares me a little right now) I'll get them things to help grow their love of Star Wars (and other sci-fi) to have another generation to keep it alive.

Let me use an analogy here for "fandom." Baseball cards. When I was a kid, long after Dave was born, baseball cards (even of the Star Wars variety) were all over the place. We'd stick them in the spokes of our manually propelled transports and trade them and shoot them with BB rifles and generally enjoy the hell out of them. As I grew older, the card companies started catering to an older audience, fancier sets, signature cards, game used memorabilia cards and on and on and on.... and the cost of a pack of cards went from 25 cents... to 75 cents... to $1... and up and up and up. When I left the card business (I ran a card and comic shop for 7 years) the average pack of cards was approaching $5 a pack, and kids couldn't afford them anymore. Since then, the sports card market has completely collapsed, because everyone lost sight of keeping a younger generation interested in the hobby because they were focusing on the adult collector (and their $$$$ ) instead of keeping the hobby spread across multiple generations. We face the same thing with Star Wars overall, if we don't get a younger generation interested, it will all go away and 50 years from now we'll have documentaries talking about the "rise and fall" of a sci-fi empire.

TL: DR
Focus on what you like, don't worry about the other stuff.

fade

fade

Not disagreeing that there are some terrible EU books out there, but did you read the first three Timothy Zahn novels? Heir to the Empire is one of them, it features the original cast and Grand Admiral Thrawn.
I did read them. I didn't really like them honestly. His style was too basic for one and a lot of the characters felt like drop in replacements. I think. It's been years.[DOUBLEPOST=1373548992][/DOUBLEPOST]What counts as eu and what doesnt? When I was a kid, I had this terrible box set someone gave me for Christmas called the Han Solo adventures.it predated Zahn.

Just Me

Just Me

I did read them. I didn't really like them honestly. His style was too basic for one and a lot of the characters felt like drop in replacements. I think. It's been years.[DOUBLEPOST=1373548992][/DOUBLEPOST]What counts as eu and what doesnt? When I was a kid, I had this terrible box set someone gave me for Christmas called the Han Solo adventures.it predated Zahn.
That was actually the first EU, probably along with those awesomeful Marvel comics. Brian Daley wrote some nice stories imho and brought Han Solo's character and background to live. Obviously he wasn't allowed to use much of the established universe which was why those stories are actually prequels playing in a whole newly created part of the SW galaxy nowadays known as the Corporate Sector; no Empire, no Stormtroopers. no TIE fighters etc.

I really liked the Thrawn trilogy but hated the ending. I haven't read them since when they first came out and don't know how I would find them today. But back then it was the first real Star Wars after how many years? Boy were we hyped; and I wasn't let down by the hype as I was with the prequels!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Anyone who doesn't like the EU doesn't know about Ganner Rhysode's last stand.

And if you know about Ganner Rhysode's last stand and still don't like the EU, then you have fallen irredeemably to the Dark Side and must be destroyed.

(Also, you know what else counts as EU? Knights of the Old Republic. That's good, right?)

Just Me

Just Me

Dunno what a Ganner Rhysode is.

I Only read the Thrawns (both series) and the X-Wings (Rogues and Wraiths) and wasn't too much interested in everything else, sorry.
And of course the old Solo adventures and the wacky Calrissian books and then the new Solo backstory trilogy.
But that's all, wasn't too interested in jedi Hijinks and kid adbentures.

Krisken

Krisken

When Chewie gets crushed by a moon, shit gets real.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh hey guys, Boba's back!

strawman

strawman

How do you know it's the real Boba? Weren't there about a bazillionty trillion of them?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I find Boba escaping the Sa'arlac pit, a little hard to swallow.

Krisken

Krisken

The book is 14 years old. If you didn't read it or hadn't heard about it by now, don't bother complaining about it being 'spoilered'.

GasBandit

GasBandit

A Barve like that...

I read Tales from Jabba's Palace when I was a kid, too - really liked it at the time. Of course, I was a rabid star wars fan back then and I can't say if it'd hold up to objective scrutiny today or not.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, Disney has tried to cover their asses. After the bomb of the Lone Ranger, how do you keep stock up? Say that Star Wars Episode VII is going to make 1.2 billion dollars.

http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/...dicts-That-The-Walt-Disney/7/10/2013/id/50748

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It could, if it's the right movie. Hell, Episode 1 made over a billion in lifetime gross and it's generally considered to be terrible.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Disney failed on the marketing of John Carter by dropping the reference to Mars from the title, and possibly by clothing Dejah Thoris. Instead of playing up the whole Edgar Rice Burroughs angle, and not keeping a stead course on marketing they killed the box office here in the US, I think that it did almost 3 times the amount overseas that it did stateside.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When Chewie gets crushed by a moon, shit gets real.
chewymoon.jpg