Diablo III, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you really want to know!

To be honest, it does not really feel all that different from when I played before. It actually feels a lot closer to Diablo 2 then the last interation of the Beta, and that is about it. Adding back in Town Portals, selling off trash to vendors, the stats feeling a bit more simple. Part of me is likes that, but another part of me enjoyed the newer designs they had going that made it stick out more from the last two games.

At least they are keeping the skill system, which I find very fun, and removed the requirement to go to town to switch out skills, which I am happy about. I liked being able to change skills on the fly, and having a short cooldown is a good enough drawback.

I don't play it often right now, but that is because it is always difficult for me to value investing to much time into betas, knowing all my characters will be deleted. I actually had a "high level" Wizard in one of the earlier iterations, that was deleted in one of the patch updates two months ago or so, and after that I just lost the desire to keep throwing new characters up knowing they will be obliterated, possibly by the next patch. I just log on now and then to look for bugs, and that is about it.

It's only 13 levels... 2-3 days of play at most... i'd think getting bored of so little content would be more of a deterrent then wipes...

And yeah, they really should have kept the salvaging, and just increase the needed parts while decreasing the salvage you get from whites until picking them up was inefficient, but still gave you something extra if you wanted...

And the skills i think the best compromise would be if like you had 12 you can change around any way you want into the 6 slots... and then only having to go to town, or even do a small quest for a respec of the 12... so an all the same class party wouldn't have the same abilities available all the time...

So the rune system is now more or less a passive skill unlock one: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-beta-patch-13-official-notes/comment-page-1

I think i would have preferred if they also kept the rune items, and just make them into class specific rune-items... like Rune Essence of Arcana would be a Wizard rune, and to unlock the passive runes for a skill you'd have to consume them to unlock the next rune for the skill you want... and to unlock the next level you'd need to combine runes... and you wouldn't need to keep them in the inventory for any longer then until you have the level or rune needed for the next skill unlock...

Oh, and Int giving you more Res is great.

Is there a fucken release date yet?

Or open beta?

Getting tired of seeing the word Diablo 3 and having jack shit in my hands for it.

If it makes you feel better, the last patch is marked as "Retail", so we should be very close now.
No announcement yet = at least 2 months away...

And i'm guessing theRetail thing is like the way it works for D2 and WoW, it's no longer a test patch... and likely the changes are supposed to be permanent... now the actual beta testing can begin...

And i'm guessing the Retail thing is like the way it works for D2 and WoW, it's no longer a test patch... and likely the changes are supposed to be permanent... now the actual beta testing can begin...
When they mark a game/patch as "Retail" or "Release" it means it's the gold version of that item. Any patches after it are going to be small quick ones to narrow out any release bugs. That is how it always worked.

Yeah, somehow i doubt it went gold before they even announced a release date...
Remember, "Retail" does not means its 100% done, it just means that the version you see now is the one that will, ultimately, end up on the disk. That means they are moving into production. Any patches we get now will be for a "Day One" release, getting loaded the first time we log into Battle.net. They did the same thing for SC2.

And it's not exactly far fetched to believe they would make the "Gold" patch before announcing the release date, probably due to issues like having to make sure they get everything printed on disks and the packaging developed in time. They have had issues in the past of "jumping the gun" on packaging, causing it to be outdated by the time the game is released. They try to avoid that these days, more so considering the changes the game has undergone since Beta started.

Remember, "Retail" does not means its 100% done, it just means that the version you see now is the one that will, ultimately, end up on the disk. That means they are moving into production. Any patches we get now will be for a "Day One" release, getting loaded the first time we log into Battle.net. They did the same thing for SC2.
See, that's where i disagree... i think it's more that this is the version of the skill/rune etc systems that will end up on the disk, but they'll probably have more patches for the beta, but just ones that are mainly bug fixes and number adjustments...

As for packaging, i doubt that it would take them more then 2 months, and since they moved the expected release to Q2 no way they're releasing it in less.

Now this is a bit odd. I understand Diablo 3 has more hype then it will probably in the end be able to fulfill, considering how much it's like the original, but you don't have to shoot yourself in the foot over it Blizzard.

A recent post by one of the Community Managers, Bashiok.

On a more serious note, I too worry that we won't be able to meet the expectations people have built up for themselves. Part of my job is managing people's expectations, so... eh... stop it. Stop thinking about how awesome this game could be. Just imagine it's a new M. Night Shyamalan movie. Sure Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable had it's moments, but this right here is the sequel to The Village ... or The Happening ... or Signs ... or any of the movies besides the two I first mentioned. So just like, lower those expectations, but still definitely buy the game please, and everything will be just fine. K?
Really? You are really comparing it with The Happening or The Village? You make it sound like it's going to be shit, that's not the way to get people excited to buy the game.

Facetiousness is not your friend i see?
Maybe. It's probably the service side of me that expects community managers to be professional rather then compare their game to horrible movies as a form of tongue in cheek humor. I understand now it was likely just a badly done joke.

scytherexx said:
Maybe. It's probably the service side of me that expects community managers to be professional rather then compare their game to horrible movies as a form of tongue in cheek humor. I understand now it was likely just a badly done joke.
When you are dealing with an internet community like the WoW/Blizz userbase sometimes tongue in cheek will be more effective than old fashioned face to face customer service. Most of the wow forums posters(ie the loud ones, not sure who nice the diablo ones are) dont undertsand classical professional courtesy and tend to take it like robotic The Man speak and then hate it more so than humourful self depreciation.

I understand now it was likely just a badly done joke.
Really, "likely"...

Most of the wow forums posters(ie the loud ones, not sure who nice the diablo ones are) dont undertsand classical professional courtesy and tend to take it like robotic The Man speak
Wait, isn't that exactly what classical professional courtesy is... unless we're talking about classical diplomacy, where the goal was to insult your counterpart using seemingly flattering words...

And old fashioned face to face customer service in the gaming industry was way more unprofessional back in teh day when the actual devs posted in forums...

It seems the PVP Arena was what was holding them back. Now that they dropped it temporarily they can officially post a release. Can't wait to continue the story past the skeleton king.

So, yeah, prepurchased the digital copy. Totally Pavlovian response. I'm kind of ashamed about how easy it is for this company to get me to buy stuff from them.

I knew i should have stayed 5 more minutes at work an post from there... i would have beaten Dave to it by a couple of minutes...

Oh well... guess the following still works:

Told you guys it would be 2 months between announcement and release... I SEE THE FUTURE!!!!!

@Shego Diablo 2 is, hands down, one of the best games ever made. I'd highly recommend it. You can get the battlechest that has the first two games and the Lord of Destruction expansion.

Really, I could give you a 2 or 3 sentence summary that would let you skip D1 entirely. Frankly, 2 is far superior to it in story and gameplay.

D1, being the first real hack and slash, was a lot slower. They were still figuring out the whole thing.

D2 better refined the system with better skills, faster gameplay and movement. Nothing like playing a Barbarian and leaping around the screen like a muscle man on crack while whirlwinding the face off pygmies. Though my favorite class is still the Necromancer with my huge army of skeletons.

I loved the Assasin. Though, you have to have the LoD expac. to play as her. I was also fond of the Necromancer.

Here's that summary that could let you skip diablo 1

You kill Diablo. It turns out that he is the prince that you were sent to find. Diablo possesses a host by having them come in contact with this red crystal. After you defeat him, the twist is that you then take the crystal and plunge it into your forehead, becoming Diablo's new host.

I have Diablo I and II and I've never beaten either because the playstyle of that type of game always ends up annoying me. I reinstalled DII recently, got passed part I for the billionth time, then stopped playing again.

Assassin would be my third pick, the only class I never really got into was Druid, not sure why but it never appealed to me like the others.

Loved the paladin, druid and sorceress here. Actually, liked all the classes, just those three in particular.
I never really played as the paladin. I mostly stuck to the Necro, Barbarian, and Assasin. The druid was kind of meh until you got the later levels of "were" spells

My entire problem with Diablo 2 was that it wasn't viable to have a HUGE RAMPAGING HORDE OF SKELETONS as a Necromancer once you got to the final chapter... but it works perfectly for all the chapters before that. So by the time I got there, I had spent a shitload of points I couldn't get back on a skill that wasn't any good anymore.

I'm really hoping Witch Doctor pets work better in this one.

Actually right now the Skelliemancer is BAD ASS. You need a lot of high end equipment for boosting the skellies, but they can really beat face.

A) the game is over a decade old, so yes, the graphics are a bit dated, but they still look good.

B) I have no idea what type of system he was running it on, but there haven't been glitches for years after they fixed the companion pathing problems.

Again, I don't kno what type of system he was playing on, but you can go full screen, so the tiny thing is a non issue. Seeing as it's maintained a constant player base since release AND the copies of the battlechest still sell well, I'd say you're in the wrong and it's just not to your taste.

Seeing as it was Shego that asked about if it was worth playing, and she doesn't care about aged graphics as much, I'm sure that's not figuring in her decision.

I have no idea what you mean by "features".

Sounds like it's just not your cup of tea. I however, have played it again recently and still loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.