Diablo III, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're saying that it's aged so poorly that people shouldn't even play it anymore. That is a horrible argument, and if I were you, I'd brace for the shitstorm that will be coming when people with normal sleep schedules start reading this :p

Also, yes, you're right, the graphics look HORRIBLE:

Diablo_2.jpg
diablo2-02325.jpg

Good game (there it is again), but it was never pretty. One color scheme (brown) with some red thrown in here and there.
That is rather funny, considering D3 has a lot more color and many fans were complaining about how lacking in "dark, gothic" feel department it was. Say what you will about the style, but I think when played on the proper screen it still looks great.

Realize, it was a 2D game that came out before the HD craze, and all 2D games of that time and before it, when blown up to try and put on a 32" 1080p, are going to look pretty bad. StarCraft 1, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1, all of them look "horrible" when put on a screen they were not designed for. I played an emulation of Monkey Island awhile back and it looked like shit when I attempted to full screen it, I don't hold that against it.

I love Torchlight too, it's a great game, but I would never tell anyone not to play D2 and just to play Torchlight, they both should be played because playing D2 helps you better appreciate where the genre is going and how well it has continued to evolve. Torchlight was the next evolution, and now D3 continues on from that. Whether Torchlight 2 continues from there will remain to be seen, but hopefully they do.

Dave

Staff member
I recently started a game and I agree with both of you. The game is a blast but it doesn't age well. Again, it's a 10 year old game so it just makes sense that it doesn't look that good any longer.

I wish they'd have been able to blow the screen up more than it is. Looking at it in 800x600 just seems stupid now.

And I LOVED the paladin. Put all your points into Vitality to max out your hit points. Get Thorns. Watch the creatures kill themselves as they hit you.

I recently started a game and I agree with both of you. The game is a blast but it doesn't age well. Again, it's a 10 year old game so it just makes sense that it doesn't look that good any longer.

I wish they'd have been able to blow the screen up more than it is. Looking at it in 800x600 just seems stupid now.

And I LOVED the paladin. Put all your points into Vitality to max out your hit points. Get Thorns. Watch the creatures kill themselves as they hit you.
A higher resolution would be nice, but 800x600 is the best it can do. Since it uses sprites, increasing the resolution also increases the view distance, which can break some challenges of the game.

That has always been the problem with using sprites. It's like attempting to load up a raster image in Photoshop and increasing it's size by 200%, all the edges and general definition turns to blurry shit. They would have had to redraw the sprites at a higher resolution, all of them, including every angle a character model or monster would appear. Considering HD was not a craze until a few years later, not much reason to put in that investment.

I liked the added color. :( It can be gothy with color, right?
I like the color too, all I am pointing out is that such can be subjective. Some people actually prefer the dark, drab coloring. It's why every military game for whatever reason is tinted brown, and why some people complain that Mist of Pandaria, an expansion to a game that was already colorful, is too colorful.

Well, I kind of came from the assumption that everyone had already played Diablo II. So if someone said to me they wanted to play it again, I'd advice Torchlight instead. I was a pretty hardcore gamer back then though and have played way too many games.
Well if they already played D2 then it would be good for them to try out new games, though I wouldn't hold it against them if they prefered D2 over Torchlight. I liked Torchlight but the lack of multiplayer really killed the replay value, something I know Torchlight 2 is fixing. All we are saying is, you can prefer one newer game over the old one, but be fair to the old one (it had it's time), and tell people to at least give it a try and come to their own conclusions, because for all they know they might prefer D2 over Torchlight in the end, and I would hate to rob them of that just because you find the resolution a little low. (This is implying they are new players to the genre)

Interesting Fact: I've never played a Hack and Slash Dungeon Crawler to completion. Yet I own Diablo 1 & 2 and Torchlight. Honestly I've never gotten past 2-3hrs of each game. For some reason they don't seem to draw me in.

Interesting Fact: I've never played a Hack and Slash Dungeon Crawler to completion. Yet I own Diablo 1 & 2 and Torchlight. Honestly I've never gotten past 2-3hrs of each game. For some reason they don't seem to draw me in.
Maybe it is the difficulty?

The way the game is designed, the first difficulty level is usually pretty cake walk. It has a few harder moments that jump at you, but mostly you roll over stuff till the last acts a few hours in. I always found that this made getting into the gameplay a little slow starting out, but ramps up a lot as you move into new acts and difficulties.

Once you get to the hard and nightmare difficulties, that is when I find myself having the most fun. It's not overly difficult and you still steamroll a lot of monsters, but the monsters are more plentiful, there are more with random modifiers (fuck you Fallen Shaman with Lightening), you have more cool skills, and it just feels more satisfying. Do the super-boss fight they added in one of the last patches and my goodness, it's insane.

Dave

Staff member
You need to get yourself a good heaping of GRIMROCK!!

Maybe it is the difficulty?

The way the game is designed, the first difficulty level is usually pretty cake walk. It has a few harder moments that jump at you, but mostly you roll over stuff till the last acts a few hours in. I always found that this made getting into the gameplay a little slow starting out, but ramps up a lot as you move into new acts and difficulties.

Once you get to the hard and nightmare difficulties, that is when I find myself having the most fun. It's not overly difficult and you still steamroll a lot of monsters, but the monsters are more plentiful, there are more with random modifiers (fuck you Fallen Shaman with Lightening), you have more cool skills, and it just feels more satisfying. Do the super-boss fight they added in one of the last patches and my goodness, it's insane.
Well I think the issue was the storyline in both to be honest. There virtually wasn't one for the hours I played Diablo or Torchlight. Perhaps I didn't give them enough time but if after 2-3 straight hours there's still no semblance of something interesting going on, I lost "hype".

Well I think the issue was the storyline in both to be honest. There virtually wasn't one for the hours I played Diablo or Torchlight. Perhaps I didn't give them enough time but if after 2-3 straight hours there's still no semblance of something interesting going on, I lost "hype".
Really? I thought D2 did a great job telling the story. You can watch each acts cinematics by themselves and they tell a bit of the story about what is happening. Torchlight was little more odd, it took me awhile to understand what was happening with the crystals and such.

If story is an issue for you, D3 may be more interesting for you. The story is told constantly though all the little missions, you can collect books that are read to you to explain new information, some NPCs will follow you to explain plot points, and even our player characters for the first time are fully voiced, having conversations with the NPCs when you get quests. Bosses are also more vocal and seem to appear more often to taunt you, etc...

Really? I thought D2 did a great job telling the story. You can watch each acts cinematics by themselves and they tell a bit of the story about what is happening. Torchlight was little more odd, it took me awhile to understand what was happening with the crystals and such.

If story is an issue for you, D3 may be more interesting for you. The story is told constantly though all the little missions, you can collect books that are read to you to explain new information, some NPCs will follow you to explain plot points, and even our player characters for the first time are fully voiced, having conversations with the NPCs when you get quests. Bosses are also more vocal and seem to appear more often to taunt you, etc...
To be fair, she said diablo's story didnt draw her in. The story of the first game is pretty anemic. D2 however is interesting from the word go

I may be the only person that preferred Diablo 1.

Then again, I was one of those people who played variant characters to make the game harder. Like the naked mages (wears no gear or weapons) or the beyond naked mage (wears only cursed gear). Granted, the core game may have been a bit too easy if I had to make such restrictions for challenge, but it was still fun.

Necronic

Staff member
Are people in here seriously complaining that a 12 year old game doesn't look good today on a 32" monitor?

Because seriously if you can FIND a game that old that still looks good let me know.

Actually right now the Skelliemancer is BAD ASS. You need a lot of high end equipment for boosting the skellies, but they can really beat face.
Well that was a lie... got up to Diablo. He chain casts his fire wave, all my skellies die. He uses his chain lightning, all my skellies die. Even my Golem can't take more than two hits. Decrepify doesn't help at all.

It's impossible for me to beat him because I run out of corpses to raise as skellies. So yeah... Skelliemancer? Still just as gimped as before.

Dave

Staff member
But that video isn't the Diablo fight now, is it? Diablo throws out that lightning ring that kills everything and then skelemancers are just boned.

But that video isn't the Diablo fight now, is it? Diablo throws out that lightning ring that kills everything and then skelemancers are just boned.
Ok, this is how you beat Diablo early on (because you will, if you are smart, put a point in Clay Golem).
Cast Clay Golem. Hit Diablo early with the curse that increases the damage he takes, when the Golem dies bring it back. If you run out of mana go back to town, get your mana back and recast the Golem.

This will definitely be the hardest fight in the game as the Skellies are not yet big enough to stay alive against Diablo's Ring of Fire. Once you get past this, the game is a fucking cake walk, even later battles against Diablo (the skeletons will just be too big/do too much damage).

I've probably played more Diablo 2 then just about any person here. I do know what I'm talking about with this game. If I start this game up again, my wife will probably kill me.

That guys lvl 89. I'm only 26 (trying it normal) and only have 4 points in Mastery (with another+3 from my wand) so far. I haven't even gotten around to doing Summon Resist yet. I'm thinking Skelliemancery might only be viable in the end game. I may have to grind some more points in Skeleton Mastery.

EDIT: Yeah, I took a point in Clay. So i just need to run back and forth using my golem?

And yeah, it's just this one fight. Everything else has been a cakewalk.

Yup, I didn't kill Diablo until I made lvl 30 as a Skelliemancer. Stick with it, you'll be frustrated now but later on you are going to eat face so much you'll wonder where the difficulty is.

Yup, I didn't kill Diablo until I made lvl 30 as a Skelliemancer. Stick with it, you'll be frustrated now but later on you are going to eat face so much you'll wonder where the difficulty is.
What difficulty? This is literally the ONLY fight in the game that causes me any trouble. It's a rare day I have to re-summon a single skellie.

I'll try the golem thing.

Skellimancer is great in multiplayer, as it is the only class that is free to chat as much as he likes during combat, letting you insult everyone else constantly.

Alright, I took him out. I kinda lucked out and he kept targeting my Clay whenever I summoned him, instead of using one of his AOEs. The Skellies took him down fast after that.

Is there a reason I'm not seeing any more slotted equipment drops? Does the magic effect "x% increased chanced of magic items dropping" decrease the slotted drops? Because I'm swimming in pgems and runewords and I haven't gotten anything decent to use them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.