[Gaming] Diablo 3 : Ser Farm-A-Lot

Went Barbarian this time... I went sword and board with Brunhilda (I'd like to say that I like the fact that she was a big, thick death machine instead of the waifu warrior princess like other companies would have gone with). You do start out slow, but once you get Cleave and Rend it really hits it's stride (especially with the explosion causing rune for Cleave). Jump felt weak and buggy, while the ground pound stun was useful. Spear was invaluable for hitting those runners. Really, it feels like Barbs are going to be AOE weedwackers while Monks are DPS for bosses.

All in all, Barb was a lot of fun. Real simple to play.

Teh Jump is more of a mobility skill... i like that you can use it to cross small chasms and jump up without using the stairs...

So, am I not understanding weapons correctly? Because the main attacks are completely weapon independent, is the only real effect of the weapon the DPS and any enchantments on it?
Basically, Equipping a bow is no different than equipping a two handed sword... that just seems so out of place to me.

Well, some attacks can only be used with a certain type of weapon. Besides this, yes, it's really weird.

Well, some attacks can only be used with a certain type of weapon. Besides this, yes, it's really weird.
I think it's kind of fun, actually. My wizard didn't care for wands. He wields a giant double-handed axe of death and destruction!

Also, for the record. the Jar of Spiders attack for the WD is probably the dumbest weapon ever. It kind of looks really silly throwing infinite numbers of jars full of giant spiders.

(Of course I say this thinking that flaming bats flying out of his hands looks just fine :p )

ChickenArise.png

No, I said I like the bats. For some reason I just think it looks stupid when he's throwing this steady stream of pots.

Necronic

Staff member
I buckled and purchased the pre-release yesterday morning. It took 12 hours to download :(, so I didn't even get to play it on the Beta weekend. Is there any news about them doing another Beta weekend?

Dave

Staff member
I never got to play the beta because the damned thing wouldn't load on my system. Seems that it was a pretty wide-spread issue. I just hope I'll be able to play it when it comes out for real.

This is the first time I've really viscerally felt how annoying the "everyone must be logged in at all times" thing is.

I get that it's a stress test, and it's supposed to be laggy. But realizing that my regular single player game, in my apartment, with a fairly solid internet connection, could still get laggy all the time... may have finally pushed me to not buy the game.

On the other hand...

Played a wizard, and OMG I like lazer beams.

So is there any advantage to pre-ordering the game? Because it comes out on payday and with digital download I won't have to go to a store or wait for shipping.

Played this weekend.

Comments:

1) Weapons are useless. No reason to use your bow/axe/sword other than the stats provided to your 'special skills', which are all you use. Especially difficult to even map your autoattack without giving up something else. Not such a problem because your special skill sauce refills so quickly but removes a significant portion of the allure of getting and using new weapons. Sometimes my Wizard doesn't want to be lazer beaming constantly, or maybe my barbarian wants to stay back from a giant poison cloud and just fire arrows at his target. Much preferred Diablo 2's weapon swap system.

2) Online required to play single player. Glad to see some are coming around to how annoying this is. Stupid decision on Activision's part.

3) Characters are 'different', but much of their styles are the same. Compare and contrast Demon Hunter to Wizard. Ditto to Barbarian and Monk. I didn't play enough Witch Doctor to get a feel for it. Hopefully that's just the first 13 levels and as they get higher level, it branches out more.

4) Skill UI is horribad, especially turning on elective mode. Doesn't even begin to resemble something that makes sense.

5) Music is nostalgic. Loved hearing a newer version of the Tristram theme.

6) Who put crafting (or at least the red-headed bastard child of) in my Diablo?

7) Kept trying to zoom in and out on my character. Remembered it was Diablo.

8) Colours are pretty!

I managed to get through all of the classes, at least long enough to figure out the basic mechanics of the class, and whether or not the class was going to be something that was fun for me to play. So far I definitely like the Barbarian, the Demon Hunter, and the Monk. The Witch Doctor is interesting, but I don't know if his interesting-ness is going to be enough to make me want to continue to play through the entire campaign, or if it'll just get campy. I didn't like the Wizard at all, which is kinda odd because I usually love mage-type characters.

A few things do annoy me though, especially the whole weapon type doesn't matter thing. It didn't really click until I was playing the wizard and I was running around with a hand axe and a shield, which just seems so wrong to me. Clerics should be allowed to use shields and maces, as well as staves, but wizards ought to be limited to staves and daggers and possibly a wand as an off hand weapon (or at least, that's what my 21 odd years of playing Might and Magic have taught me). Also, the idea of crafting is a little bizarre, but it does give me something to do with the random magic items that are meaningless for my class, and I like the fact that (at least up to level 2 blacksmithing) they've left the enchantments random. Sure, you can keep breaking down crafted items if you're playing a Barb and crafted a helmet with +8 int and +2 yard radius of gold pickup, but you only get 1 essence from breaking it back down. My only big concern with crafting is the "stash" mechanics. At least in beta, items I put in my stash on my first character, a male Barb who topped out at level 9, were in the chest when I logged in on my sixth character, a female Barb that topped out at level 10. They were the yellow fangs that you sometimes get from salvaging rare items. I don't think he had any of the normal blue essences in the chest, but if you can pass enchanting items back and forth like that, you can really OP a character on your second pass through. Of course, in single player play, the only person you really cheat by doing that is yourself, but I'm not sure how it would play out in multiplayer play, or if it would have any sort of impact on that real-world money auction house, or even if it's going to carry over into post-launch play.

Necronic

Staff member
The way they managed that weapon issue in the previous games was to make the bonuses given to a weapon linked to the type of weapon used. So, while you would occasionally find a stave that had a strength bonus or a sword with an int/mana bonus, it was unlikely and probably underpowered.

The only reason I can see specific weapon types coming into play is them reusing the class-specific bonuses on certain weapons like in D2 LoD (sickles for Barbs, wands for Wizards, etc). Crafting items, at least in the beta area, are crazy OP over the stuff you find if they have the right stat on it.

I thought WD was kind of interesting but I felt too much of the D2 Necro, who I didn't really like playing. So far I'm torn between Monk and Barb, leaning more to Monk.

I didn't get to play that class enough. What I played I liked. Ice beam is sweet as hell. I actually followed that class in the development cycle and they're supposed to get some wicked time twisting abilities at higher tiers.

I guess I am going to be one of the few that loved Wizard.
She gets a lot better at higher levels as you can use more ranged spells that don't consume your energy in 3 casts...

Like i said, he was fun with the short range stuff, but that's not the archetype, but an alt build...

That being sad, anyone else wish the Ray of Frost and Disintegrate didn't have the same beam animation... Ray of Frost would have looked better as a spray that goes to the border of the screen...

Necronic

Staff member
Hopefully they will balance the crafting down. Honestly weapon/armor crafting shouldn't exist in games where weapons/gear are persistent, unless it is superemely well balanced. And tbh I've never seen a game that was able to hit that balance.

I like the crafting system, yes it makes powerful stuff, but it should, since you have to break down dozens of items to get the materials to make the stuff. It will likely not scale as well later on in higher difficulties, and likely will never be as good as a decent unique or legendary.

I managed to get through all of the classes, at least long enough to figure out the basic mechanics of the class, and whether or not the class was going to be something that was fun for me to play. So far I definitely like the Barbarian, the Demon Hunter, and the Monk. The Witch Doctor is interesting, but I don't know if his interesting-ness is going to be enough to make me want to continue to play through the entire campaign, or if it'll just get campy. I didn't like the Wizard at all, which is kinda odd because I usually love mage-type characters.

A few things do annoy me though, especially the whole weapon type doesn't matter thing. It didn't really click until I was playing the wizard and I was running around with a hand axe and a shield, which just seems so wrong to me. Clerics should be allowed to use shields and maces, as well as staves, but wizards ought to be limited to staves and daggers and possibly a wand as an off hand weapon (or at least, that's what my 21 odd years of playing Might and Magic have taught me). Also, the idea of crafting is a little bizarre, but it does give me something to do with the random magic items that are meaningless for my class, and I like the fact that (at least up to level 2 blacksmithing) they've left the enchantments random. Sure, you can keep breaking down crafted items if you're playing a Barb and crafted a helmet with +8 int and +2 yard radius of gold pickup, but you only get 1 essence from breaking it back down. My only big concern with crafting is the "stash" mechanics. At least in beta, items I put in my stash on my first character, a male Barb who topped out at level 9, were in the chest when I logged in on my sixth character, a female Barb that topped out at level 10. They were the yellow fangs that you sometimes get from salvaging rare items. I don't think he had any of the normal blue essences in the chest, but if you can pass enchanting items back and forth like that, you can really OP a character on your second pass through. Of course, in single player play, the only person you really cheat by doing that is yourself, but I'm not sure how it would play out in multiplayer play, or if it would have any sort of impact on that real-world money auction house, or even if it's going to carry over into post-launch play.
Man, have you never played Diablo before? Tricking out your alts is like 80% of the game.

ScytheRexx likes Blizzard decision. News at 11!
Hey, I hated most of Cataclysm, I am not as bad as some people think.

I just think the crafting system works well, and I like the account-based nature of it. I actually wish Blizzard would use it in WoW for Secondary Skills.

Man, have you never played Diablo before? Tricking out your alts is like 80% of the game.
Yeah, I have. And I've loved them. I just actually enjoy having to work for my accomplishments, even on alts, instead of working my way through content once and then being able to waltz through like I own the friggin' place after that.

Yeah, I have. And I've loved them. I just actually enjoy having to work for my accomplishments, even on alts, instead of working my way through content once and then being able to waltz through like I own the friggin' place after that.
I am the opposite.

I love moving some super-amazing items down from my higher level character and then becoming a demi-god. I always thought that was part of the charm.

Blizzard seems to want to move with that, as both the crafters and the stash are account based.

I am the opposite.

I love moving some super-amazing items down from my higher level character and then becoming a demi-god. I always thought that was part of the charm.

Blizzard seems to want to move with that, as both the crafters and the stash are account based.
I will continue to prefer to work for my gear, but I do like that Blizzard chose to make the crafters and the stash account based. That gives people, like you, who prefer to make their alts into demi-gods the ability to do so, and I can just ignore the damn thing if I want to.

That whole thread is you defending Cataclysm against my trollish powers.
Pointing out you were scewing facts and overall just ranting is not really a defense for the expansion itself, just a counter to your silliness. Like I said in that thread...

All I ask is that you look at it fairly and don't make claims in which you don't have experience, like the arguement about leveling being "gimped".
That is a defense of common sense, not of the game itself.

In the end, like I said above, I hated most of Cataclysm, but not all of it. I thought they did the overall leveling right, it was other issues like quest flow, guild leveling, difficulty, etc... that caused the game to suffer and caused 2 million other people like me to leave. I didn't because I like PVPing with my wife on the weekend.

Might want to read this.

https://www.halforums.com/threads/the-state-of-the-game-and-the-guild.25353/

Got to play for about 6hrs, ran Wizard and Demon Hunter complete and a few levels of Witch Doctor.

The Wizbeam is lots of fun. The Demon Hunter's rapid fire skill is stupidly entertaining, especially when you are dual-wielding one-handed crossbows which have weapon speed enchantments on them (or poison. Poison was fun, too). I didn't get enough time with the Witch Doctor to get any idea one way or another.

--Patrick