Export thread

Destiny 2 - pretty fun until I got banned

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, Destiny 2 PC, aka the real version, comes out in a couple days. Who is getting it?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cranky is already reminding us at least once every 8 or so hours that he is looking forward to it.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, destiny 2 is pretty fun, until I got randomly banned. Attempting to launch the game just gives me a message saying not so fast, you've been banned. Attempting to contact bungie support just gets me an automated email saying that bans are permanent and cannot be reversed.

Apparently, the anti cheat engine detects anything that tries to inject code, including game overlays. I was banned for using discord and obs.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So, destiny 2 is pretty fun, until I got randomly banned. Attempting to launch the game just gives me a message saying not so fast, you've been banned. Attempting to contact bungie support just gets me an automated email saying that bans are permanent and cannot be reversed.

Apparently, the anti cheat engine detects anything that tries to inject code, including game overlays. I was banned for using discord and obs.
...So the Steam overlay would get you banned? That's original.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

...So the Steam overlay would get you banned? That's original.
It's not sold through steam, but if you added it for the overlay, probably

Dei

Dei

But no! Bungie says that is totally not happening! :|

Just the fact that the game is supposed to not even run if these applications are open is hilarious. Glad I didn't want to buy it anyways. :/

strawman

strawman

Looks like the topic is exploding everywhere, though, and Bungie is now claiming that OBS and Discord overlays shouldn't cause bans:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-pc-ban
https://www.bungie.net/en/help/article/46101
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/desti...ans-due-overlay-hardware-monitoring-programs/

I expect that they'll have to get in front of this because we're less than 24 hours since launch and this is all people are talking about, rather than gameplay.

Not good publicity.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Good guy blizzard is at least refunding anyone that wants one.

Terrik

Terrik

Wow, what a colossal fuckup.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, that is jawdroppingly bad. I mean, I'm no fan of Destiny or Bungie in general, but I can hardly believe they could fuck up THIS bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1508946848,1508946805][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1508946880][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1508947177][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Man, that is jawdroppingly bad. I mean, I'm no fan of Destiny or Bungie in general, but I can hardly believe they could fuck up THIS bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1508946848,1508946805][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1508946880][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1508947177][/DOUBLEPOST]
What's even worse is that their ban system blocks you from all bungie services, meaning you can't even put in a support ticket. Luckily, since it's sold through Blizzard's platform, I've been able to turn to them, and they've been more than helpful

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cranky has been playing it, and it looks like fun, but...so glad I didn't buy it?

--Patrick

Gared

Gared

But, you can't be getting banned for this. The PC Dev Lead says so. You're all just "Internet BS."

"

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Fake news!"

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I don’t take anyone seriously if they can’t use real words in their reply. “Shawctober” may work for the game’s company, but is clearly an idiot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don’t take anyone seriously if they can’t use real words in their reply. “Shawctober” may work for the game’s company, but is clearly an idiot.
Well, I mean, he is lead dev on a game that is apparently banning a huge amount of its PC playerbase, so maybe he is, yeah.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Refund has now gone through. I think I'm going to take this destiny money and just go buy Mario

Frank

Frank

Glad I didn't have any interest in 6 hours of single player followed by the same raid over and over again. I think this bullshit may have pushed me over the edge of video games for a long time.

Mario seems like a safe bet Poe, just don't stream it on Youtube or Nintendo will get you banned from Youtube forever.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Well, I mean, he is lead dev on a game that is apparently banning a huge amount of its PC playerbase, so maybe he is, yeah.
But didn't he just say in that quote what was happening to everyone wasn't possible?

GasBandit

GasBandit

But didn't he just say in that quote what was happening to everyone wasn't possible?
What I meant was, is I'd expect an idiot to double down on bad.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I’m sleep deprived and confused :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just an update, Bungie claimed that overlays and third party programs were in no way responsible for the bans, and that every ban was done by hand (not automatic) and only to people that were cheating.

Bungie then later said that there was a small group that were wrongly banned and that they've reversed those.

I got an email telling me I can play again, but jokes on them, I don't even want their game anymore.

Maybe I'll come back if they ever get dedicated servers. The lag in P2P is horrendous

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cranky bought me the game as a gift.
Now I'm worried I'll get banned.

However it keeps the tradition alive where I own every Blizzard game* except for WoW.

--Patrick
*Yes I know D2 isn't technically Blizz/Act.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Cranky bought me the game as a gift.
Now I'm worried I'll get banned.

However it keeps the tradition alive where I own every Blizzard game* except for WoW.

--Patrick
*Yes I know D2 isn't technically Blizz/Act.
Here I am thinking what are you talking about, Diablo 2 is absolutely a Blizzard game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Here I am thinking what are you talking about, Diablo 2 is absolutely a Blizzard game.
Pretty sure I found someone who was selling a copy of Hellfire in the early 2000's and bought it just so I could have that, too.
But I don't own Lost Vikings, so I guess that balances out.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Pretty sure I found someone who was selling a copy of Hellfire in the early 2000's and bought it just so I could have that, too.
But I don't own Lost Vikings, so I guess that balances out.

--Patrick
Ok, I know Hellfire was a pretty bad expansion (the monk looked like he was from another game entirely) but I technically put more hours into playing Hellfire than I did Diablo, because of an amazing mod called Hellfire: The Dark. Playing that over Kali (it had no built in online multiplayer, so we had to cheat it) is legitimately some of my best gaming memories.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, turns out I can't play Destiny 2 anyway.

My main PC is based around the AMD Phenom II x6 1090t Black Edition, which I bought because it was the newest (and last) processor made that still supports the 3DNow! instruction set and so would not throw an exception when running any older programs containing that code. I didn't have anything specific in mind, just that I know any old software (that will likely never be updated) would be happier there. Also it's set up for maximum compatibility when running all OSes from XP up through WinX (if I have to).

However, the Phenom II also happens to be part of the last AMD processor family (the "K10" generation) that doesn't support Supplementary SSE3 instructions (or SSSE3) which are required for the release version of Destiny 2 to run. They weren't required for the D2 beta, but now they're required for the release version. Those weren't added to AMD CPUs until the following architecture (aka "Bulldozer") was introduced. Oh well.

However again, there is a note added yesterday on Bungie's "known issues" page which gives some hope:
notyourdestiny.png

...so I guess we will get to try this again next week and see what happens.

I find this extra annoying because the x5670 Xeon processors in the Mac Pro I bought recently meet these requirements with no problem. They support all the way up to SSE4.2, which should be enough for at least a few years to come (or until AVX support becomes mandatory). But the HD5870 GPU that's in it is too old to meet the game requirements (this means the game requires either GCN architecture or DX11.1 as a minimum) so I would have to switch that out for the HD7970 I have installed in my PC...except that then I wouldn't be able to run the (older) editing software I purposely bought the Mac Pro to do...:mad:

Guess it's looking like it's time to start thinking about speccing out a new box. Just happy that my current box was able to stay sufficiently relevant until a worthy replacement finally came along.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh man, I didn't know you were using a phenom. The Destiny reddit has been full of people complaining about two things. One is random banning, and the other is certain AMD processors just straight up not working.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That would explain why they're willing to roll back some compiler flags, then. The banning was quite the black eye, this would be another (especially none of the other Battle.net games require SSSE3).

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

A 5+GB "update?"
Really?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

A 5+GB "update?"
Really?

--Patrick
They just released their first expansion, "Curse of Osiris." You'll need the assets for it though, so you can see the shit everybody else is getting, even if you don't buy it.

strawman

strawman

Interesting thought - someone else's purchases results in consumption of your hard drive and bandwidth.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Interesting thought - someone else's purchases results in consumption of your hard drive and bandwidth.
It's always been that way. I remember it happening in everquest, and that mofo is about to drop its twenty fourth expansion.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So since I got this as a gift AND Bungie finally decided to let people with older CPUs play, I've put about (just a guess) 6-8hrs into the game.

I'm getting reeeeeeal tired of jump puzzles.

The shooting part is real nice, though. It's very shooty. I actually feel like my time in Overwatch will make me a better Guardian, and vice versa.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, and I decided to make my Hunter look as much like Christopher Walken as I could.
...just because.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Soooooo if you're thinking about buying this game for the single-player campaign (or for the story/campaign in general)...well, don't bother.
The voice acting is great. The mocap people overdo it and repeat the same actions a lot, but I can forgive that because that's what mocap people do, and there were what, just three of them*?
The dialogue and plot, however, all feel like they were written by the art crew. They're very grand, but they're not consistent...and they're short.

Now if you're getting it to buddy up with some friends and go raid, fight other people in the Crucible, or just want to spend an hour shooting things, then it's fine. Just don't be surprised when the story provided...doesn't exactly pull you in and do a good job of tying everything together.

--Patrick
*According to the credits, there were only 3 mocap performers (there were additional people for the dances, though).

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, and please allow me to reiterate:
The jump puzzles are dumb, and they suck.
They serve no real purpose other than to guarantee that people who finish the game have some minimum level of manual dexterity/coordination. I'm sure they were going for some kind of Golden Child vibe that actually means something and feels satisfying to overcome, but all I ever felt was the frustration of, "Aww, I gotta do another one of these things?"

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've completed the campaign, and done some of the end content (all through a friends account, I haven't repurchased the game since refunding) and it is aggressively average

Tress

Tress

...it is aggressively average
So are most of its fans.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Bungie has always been terrible with their writing. The entire Halo series was a confusing narrative mess.

PatrThom

PatrThom

This patch is startlingly huge.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I got this game through a bundle or some such. Haven't bothered yo install it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

To me, the whole destiny series always struck me as "Did you like borderlands, but felt it wasn't grindy enough? Did you wish your performance was based EVEN MORE on your gear and the RNG and less on your FPS skill? Do you miss the experience of camping a spawn in everquest for hours and hours at a time? Then boy do we have the game series for you!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can’t speak to Destiny, but Destiny 2 feels very similar to Borderlands, IF Borderlands also had 5-6 areas per map where scheduled miniboss battles would happen about once every 20min. Run, jump, and shoot the enemies for a chance at earning gear powerful enough to let you run, jump, and shoot the next level of enemies.

I will admit, there are times where that is exactly what I want to do...farming some trash to fill my resources broken up with short, actually challenging fights. However, if you don’t play with friends, the endgame will be forever denied you, because the highest level gear is gated off behind content that requires you to either be supernaturally skilled at the game or else you have to have a couple other players in your party.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Big changes coming in September:
From here on out, every major Destiny 2 content update will cycle old content (including Destiny 1 locations and raids) back into Destiny 2... and it will delete existing content, particularly campaign missions. The first turnover will wipe a whopping four destinations (and their associated campaign content) from the Destiny 2 client, both in solo and co-op modes: Io, Titan, Mercury, and Mars. This move will effectively destroy the existing campaign progression track for the base game and its Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions.
This seems... drastic.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Argh 50GB download AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

attackofthebarons.jpg

Too soon?

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I tried going back to destiny 2 but it turns out I find it boring.

FF14 remains my mmo-ish of choice

PatrThom

PatrThom

capped.png

"I used to be a mighty Scorn warrior, until..."

--Patrick

Cat

Cat

I tried going back to destiny 2 but it turns out I find it boring.

FF14 remains my mmo-ish of choice
Yeeeah buddy

PatrThom

PatrThom

So, like Frank mentioned in the other thread, Sony has now bought Bungie for three-plus BILLyun DAHLers.

Here is what Bungie has to say about it:

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

9 months' gestation later, aaaand...
"You see, when one company loves another company('s money) very, very much..."

--Patrick