[Question] Desktop issues...

Hi there, ridiculously long time lurker here.
I've had an Alienware Aurora R3 since 2011, has been running fine up to a few months ago (it's past warranty now of course). Then, some sort of jet engine took up residence in the case, as the system fans turn on and hit around 5k rpm constantly until I turn off the system, or lately, just turning itself off. Cold air is blowing out the back and the system thermals say all temps are fine. Downloaded CPUID HW-Moniter which seem to indicate temps are 100 Celsius and the alienware thermal controller is bogus.
I've cleaned/dusted the hell outta this thing, so my thoughts are either a broken heat sink of some sort, or something telling the system to turn on this damn fans because it's running hot. Playing with fan controls have not fixed anything either, and bios diagnostics are coming up with everything running 'just fine'.
I'm not computer savvy enough to know where to go from here; am I looking at bringing this into a shop and paying the big bucks, or is there something else I could be doing.
Thanks for your thoughts/help/mockery!

Sounds like your main CPU heatsink may have come loose, or the thermal paste might need to be reapplied.
Knowing which sensor is hitting max would be helpful.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I agree with Pat - sounds to me like the heatsink either came unseated, or otherwise needs to be regooped and reseated. I recommend removing the heat sink from the CPU, carefully wiping off any of the existing thermal compound (it will probably be grey or pink and a consistency somewhere between cake icing and play-doh), then apply new thermal compound (which you can buy a tube of for 7ish bucks), and carefully putting the heat sink back on, making sure it is fastened at all points correctly. Then see if your CPU stays cooler without your fans freaking out.

Well, here's the image I grabbed when the cpu sounds like it's starting liftoff sequence.
View attachment 18385
Yeah, your CPU cores should not be up around 100°C like that.
Most likely cause is the aforementioned thermal paste or that your CPU heatsink has gotten clogged. I don't mean the fan on top of the heatsink, I mean the heatsink itself. They can get filled up with crap, and then the fan has to work overtime because it can't move enough air through the blanket of lint to keep the CPU cool. Something to peek into while you have the heatsink removed.

--Patrick