Votes: 39 86.7%
  • Throw it away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other(please specify)

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah the pizza crust, the piece that is either the end or the beginning depending on stuffing. It is one of my favorite parts. But what I always found strange is how people just throw them away. Why would they do this I ask them? Some say because they aren't hungry, some say because its not edible(which is a damn LIE). So I ask you good forum goers, what do you do with the crust? Eat it, throw it away, or other?

There's this great Pizza place back in my hometown that had some of the most amazing crusts. Seriously, they had about 8 different flavors of crust and they were all great. The pizza was -good- but the crust was amazing.

In college, this one house I shared had a rule that no one was allowed to eat the crusts. We called them Pizza Bones and saved them for one of the roommate's dog. There was so much pizza going through a house with 5 guys living there... we basically kept that dog alive on Pizza Bones.

When I was a kid, I never ate the crust. I gave it to my mom who would have rather had the crust than the rest of the pizza. Now, I'll eat the crust unless it's really thick and flavorless.

BananaHands

Staff member
It offends me when people don't eat the crust. It also offends me if they use a fork and knife.

UNLESS it's deep dish. Ya know, dat chicago STYLE.

I hate it when people throw it away when they KNOW I would want to eat it. I do not care about germs, when I know they aren't sick. GIVE ME THE DAMN CRUST!

And I will eat thin crust, but I do prefer thick crust. Thin crust just bores me.

Dave

Staff member
With me it really depends on the pizza. I don' like my crusts to be hard and crusty as hell. I like my crusts to be airy and almost chewy. If they are hard and crunchy my dogs love me.

Zappit

Staff member
Gimme a great chewy crust that's just a tad crispy on the outside. There's a place near me that just absolutely nails that, and it just makes the whole experience better.

I used to go to a pizza buffet with guys from work. One was on a carb kick, so he'd grab 8 tiny slices of pizza, and scrape all the cheese and meat off and set the entire crust aside. Then proceed to eating the pile of grease, paste, and meat with a fork.

GasBandit

Staff member
Depends on the crust, especially the quality of said crust. Sometimes I eat, sometimes I throw away. Not all pizzas are created equal.

But guuuys.

The starch. So much starch.

But no, I totally eat the crust and use it as a mop to soak up the grease-soaked cheese on my plate.

Zappit

Staff member
I used to go to a pizza buffet with guys from work. One was on a carb kick, so he'd grab 8 tiny slices of pizza, and scrape all the cheese and meat off and set the entire crust aside. Then proceed to eating the pile of grease, paste, and meat with a fork.
That just goddamn disgusts me. Frickin' waste of good food.

Why even bother if you can't eat the damn pizza? I eat a pizza, I'm eating the crust. If there's cheese in that crust, I'm eating it. Somebody puts bacon in with that cheese? They will be my hero. (Granted, with my sodium-restricted diet, that's not even remotely realistic for me anymore, but I savor those rare occasions I do get my hands on a pizza - every bite.)

I'll always eat crust so as to not waste food. But quality definitely varies. The Little Caesars hot & readies are among the worst. But my parents won't stop picking those up. I'd rather have NICE pizza once a month than mediocre pizza once a week.

The secret to making the Hot and Ready Little Caesar crusts edible is make sure you get Crazy Sauce (that comes with the breadsticks).

Yes, this is because Crazy Sticks are just the same pizza dough stock, except without toppings. So it works great.

If your willing to wait a bit, the thin crust option they do at Little Caesar is actually pretty good. You just need to order ahead because they don't do them as Hot-n-Ready.

I remember one time I made a pizza that was almost all crust. The cheese and sauce part was only like a little circle. It was delicious.

Even if a place has really crappy crust, that crust can be saved by either Sriracha or garlic sauce. Unless it's one of those frozen pizzas and you burned the hell out of it to the point that biting into it feels like you're cutting the roof of your mouth, there is no reason ever to throw out the crust.

I had a friend who would always insist on getting a large pizza for the two of us, and then refuse to eat the crusts. He was an absolute slob who would try to kill a whole pizza himself, too. So you get this situation where he's devouring the slices at a ridiculous pace, only to stop at the crust and then grab another slice. He would eat 2-3 in the time that it took me to eat one. Then, he would make sure to save the last slice for a box to take home (that way he didn't finish it, see?). It used to bug the shit out of me. At this rate if he lives to see 50 I'll be amazed.

Anyway. Eat the crust. Dipping sauces are always nice too.

Add garlic butter or marinara to that crust as a dipping sauce and you're golden - unless it's a "cardboard" crust that is so hard and burned that it shouldn't be even called pizza anymore.

This seems to be the least contentious issue ever discussed on halforums. We can't agree on steak, chili, or politics, but with pizza crust, we have peace.

Himler ate pizza crusts half the time.

Mengela used pizza crusts in unspeakable wartime attrocities.

COME ON PEOPLE, PIZZA CRUSTS ARE EVIL!

Himler ate pizza crusts half the time.

Mengela used pizza crusts in unspeakable wartime attrocities.

COME ON PEOPLE, PIZZA CRUSTS ARE EVIL!
Stalin ate his pizza crust, then told people there was never a crust to begin with and had the menu altered to show just cheese and toppings.

Even if a place has really crappy crust, that crust can be saved by either Sriracha or garlic sauce. Unless it's one of those frozen pizzas and you burned the hell out of it to the point that biting into it feels like you're cutting the roof of your mouth, there is no reason ever to throw out the crust.
Sriracha. Most. Definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.