Demographics: Cake vs Pie

CAKE OR DEATH... er, pie. I meant pie.

• Cake!

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Pie!

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, it's always been annoying figuring out my fuel costs whenever I go to Canada. I can do most length measurements in my head (cm, mm, m <--> inches, feet; km <--> miles) but volume measurements are more annoying. To be fair, I still have to think a bit even when going from, for instance, tablespoons to gallons, so volumes aren't my forte anyway. Though having dealt with a pool this year has forced me to practice that bit.

"Yes, Gideon, you could empty the pool with a spoon, but it'll take you 1.5 million spoonfulls..."
I always have trouble making conversions from ml to dl, cl or l as well. Complicated as all....no wait. :trolol:

figmentPez

Staff member
Vanilla....Bean? Seriously? You guys are aware they're not beans, right? :p
Actually, no, I wasn't. Thank you.

Strawberries aren't berries (but tomatoes are).

Walnuts aren't nuts.

Wild rice isn't rice.

"Yams" in the US are usually sweet potatoes.

Silly. Fire can't burn in Space.

--Patrick
This "Space" is unscientific dribble. The movement of the planets can be adequately explained by ether pushing them in circular motions; the fifth element and all that. Tsk. Space. What a crazy person you are. Next you'll tell me the Spheres don't orbit the Earth!

"Yams" in the US are usually sweet potatoes.
Other way around in Canada, and much of the USA. "Yams" are sold as sweet potatoes.

Alton of course has already addressed this with Debbie:

People often put "sweet potato" in a recipe, but mean a yam, since they are often sold as the same thing, and some people don't even know that there IS a difference.

Here's the easy way: Sweet potatoes have yellow flesh, Yams have orange flesh.

figmentPez

Staff member
Other way around in Canada, and much of the USA. "Yams" are sold as sweet potatoes.

Alton of course has already addressed this with Debbie:

<SNIP video>

People often put "sweet potato" in a recipe, but mean a yam, since they are often sold as the same thing, and some people don't even know that there IS a difference.

Here's the easy way: Sweet potatoes have yellow flesh, Yams have orange flesh.
Actually, real yams are not sold very commonly in the US. The orange fleshed sweet potatoes called "yams" are not really yams at all, but they are variety of sweet potatoes. By USDA standards, such "yams" cannot be sold without the labeling that they are sweet potatoes.

Also, sweet potatoes come in a lot more flesh colors than just yellow and orange. They also come in red, purple and white flesh varieties, with different skin colors and combinations as well.
Sweet Potato Varieties Sliced.jpg

Those are all sweet potatoes, and they're just 9 of the thousands of varieties.