Demographics: Cake vs Pie

CAKE OR DEATH... er, pie. I meant pie.

• Cake!

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Pie!

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
Were you presented with your ideal cake and your ideal pie, but could only choose one or the other, which would you choose?

The cake at our wedding was incredibly awesome. Chocolate torte covered with chocolate ganache, filled with white chocolate mousse, and garnished stegosaurus-style with big shaved flakes of white and dark chocolate.

It only marginally edges out our hybrid butternut squash/pumpkin pie covered with slightly burboun-enhanced whipped cream.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The only pies I like are basically pudding or ice cream in an oreo-based pie crust, so they don't really count. The world belongs to cake.

Last edited:
I've never seen a pie in my life, except on tv.
SOMEONE TEACH THIS HUMAN HOW TO BAKE A PIE!

Sure, I'm a cake guy, but just because I like cake better than pie doesn't mean I'd wish a world without pie on even my worst enemies.

That's just not right.

Cheesecake are definitely not pie. They may not be cake either.

You might prepare a pie with a cheesecake filling, or a cake with a cheesecake layer, but as far as I can tell, and for the purposes of this poll, cheesecake is to be considered a material or filling, like chocolate, that could be prepared as either dessert, and isn't exclusive to one or the other.

My favorite part of cake is the filling.

My favorite part of pie is the filling.

In pies, the filling ratio is far greater than 50%, whereas in cake, the filling ratio is 25% at most.

So, pies win.

Wait... What do you fill your cakes with? Do you consider the icing filling, or the cake the filling? You are making me ponder unponderable things!

Wait... What do you fill your cakes with? Do you consider the icing filling, or the cake the filling? You are making me ponder unponderable things!
Cake filling is anything that goes between layers of cake, mostly either fudge or fruit. Occasionally icing fills cake, but that is probably my least favorite kind of filling.

GasBandit

Staff member
I disagree. Pie crust is the equivalent of cake icing. Pie filling is the equivalent of the cake stuff that isn't icing.

I disagree. Pie crust is the equivalent of cake icing. Pie filling is the equivalent of the cake stuff that isn't icing.
But shouldn't we be differentiating in this discussion between the layers of actual cake vs layers of non-cake within the cake (like in ice cream cake, layered chocolate cake, etc.)?

Until I get clarification on the crumble question, I will defer.

However you define it, crumble wins.
It is neither. You may find it is better than both cake or pie, but this poll is merely asking you if you had one of each in front of you, which would you choose. Crumble is not in front of you.

Pie. Mainly because I'm not huge on sweet and can have a meat pie. If someone could make a meat cake I might be a bit more inclined towards cakes. As it is, I'm for pie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Pie. Mainly because I'm not huge on sweet and can have a meat pie. If someone could make a meat cake I might be a bit more inclined towards cakes. As it is, I'm for pie.
Wouldn't meatloaf be meat cake? I mean it's not really meat bread, despite the name.

Wouldn't meatloaf be meat cake? I mean it's not really meat bread, despite the name.
I was thinking that, but it's not made in a cake pan. Meat pies at least share both the same crust and pan as regular pies. Besides, meatloaf is as close to bread as it is cake. Neither share any of the same ingredients, but at least it shares the same pan as a bread loaf.[DOUBLEPOST=1381783203,1381783102][/DOUBLEPOST]I wonder if you could do a mashed potato cake with meat and veggies as the filling and ketchup as the frosting...[DOUBLEPOST=1381783329][/DOUBLEPOST]I would eat this...
meatcake02.jpg

http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/demo/meatcake/

GasBandit

Staff member
I was thinking that, but it's not made in a cake pan. Meat pies at least share both the same crust and pan as regular pies. Besides, meatloaf is as close to bread as it is cake. Neither share any of the same ingredients, but at least it shares the same pan as a bread loaf.
Actually, there is one common ingredient - egg.

Cheesecake are definitely not pie. They may not be cake either.

You might prepare a pie with a cheesecake filling, or a cake with a cheesecake layer, but as far as I can tell, and for the purposes of this poll, cheesecake is to be considered a material or filling, like chocolate, that could be prepared as either dessert, and isn't exclusive to one or the other.
There's arguments for placing it as a pie, as a cake or as a torte, folk just don't agree.

Either way, cheesecake is the best cake/pie/torte. ESPECIALLY when you make it with ricotta instead of cream cheese.

Cake is better, but controversial opinion time:

The icing is generally the worst part of the cake (cream cheese frosting being a notable exception).

GasBandit

Staff member
Cake is better, but controversial opinion time:

The icing is generally the worst part of the cake (cream cheese frosting being a notable exception).
I agree, there's usually too much icing on a cake for my taste and I end up scraping most of it off.