Del Toro pulls out of The Hobbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cobra Star

Yep, I veto this completely. Only way I'd accept is if Peter Jackson takes over....

I'm happy.

Yeah, it sucks that del Toro won't be doing The Hobbit, and I'm sure whatever version of The Hobbit we get won't be as good as what del Toro would've done. But this film has been in limbo thanks to MGM, and he's been held up from other stuff for two years now working on this thing. I'd rather see more del Toro movies than wait and wait on him to make this one based on someone else's fantasy world under the eye of another director who's already established that world in film.

Bring on more del Toro projects!

You know, I don't mind this news at all.

I wasn't particularly thrilled with Del Toro's work in Pan's Labrynth or Hellboy 2

Cajungal

Staff member

I wasn't particularly thrilled with Del Toro's work in Pan's Labrynth or Hellboy 2
He does have a particular aesthetic that I'm not sure would mesh well with the Hobbit.[/QUOTE]

I was actually really looking forward to seeing what he would do with it. As dark as his style can be, I think that a person with his imagination would have done a pretty good job. I can understand not loving Hellboy, but I thought Pan's Labyrinth was excellent.

Love Del Toro, I think he would have done a great job on this but I'm very happy that he's going to go get some actual filming done now and on his own projects. If the Hobbit ever gets made I have a feeling Jackson will be doing it. He needs a hit.

I would have loved to see del Toro tackling the especially dark parts of the book, like the Trolls, the Mirkwood and Smaug's lair. He's pretty good with the beastly.

He does have a particular aesthetic that I'm not sure would mesh well with the Hobbit.[/QUOTE]

I was actually really looking forward to seeing what he would do with it. As dark as his style can be, I think that a person with his imagination would have done a pretty good job. I can understand not loving Hellboy, but I thought Pan's Labyrinth was excellent.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I loved Pan's Labyrinth. The story was incredible. Del Toro did a great job of directing the actors. But MindDetective said it better than I could have..there's a certain aesthetic that isn't about how 'dark' it is, but a certain Del Toro look that I just don't find myself caring for and am glad that I won't be seeing in The Hobbit.

Yeah, it isn't darkness, it is...some kind of style found in his settings and creatures that is a bit alien. I think in Pan's and H2 he put a lot more emphasis on it than he would in the Hobbit, but I bet it would creep in and give the film a different feel than the novel has.

Guys, guys, guys! This is GOOD news. Don't you know what this means?

We could be seeing Hellboy 3 sooner, rather than later!

And really, if you thought his aesthetic didn't fit with The Hobbit, watch Hellboy 2 again. That was like Del Toro's warm-up.

Guys, guys, guys! This is GOOD news. Don't you know what this means?

We could be seeing Hellboy 3 sooner, rather than later!

And really, if you thought his aesthetic didn't fit with The Hobbit, watch Hellboy 2 again. That was like Del Toro's warm-up.
I'm still a little iffy on HellBabies, though, as much as I enjoyed Hellboy 1 and 2.

Also, the more I think on it the more I agree that we might get lucky and get someone better suited to The Hobbit through this. My main concern is del Toro might not do as well with those beautiful grand shots that Jackson managed to frame so well in the LotR movies.

Isn't there a reason why Jackson isn't doing everything again? Or does he not want to put on any weight?

The first name that popped into my head is Chris Colombo. He does great kids flicks, and he will have the WETA for art direction.
Chris Columbus is a terrible director.[/QUOTE]

If they make the Hobbit just like Lord of the Rings, they will ruin it. Columbus (yeah don't know why I thought that) Has made some of the best kids movies, just to name Home Alone and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. He's doing something right.

Just based on producers' tendencies to work with the same directors and crews, I'd put money on Peter Jackson trying to get Neil Blomkamp to fill the role. Not sure if he'd be able to do it, as District 9 is the only movie of his I've seen, but I bet he's near the top of ol' PJ's list.

Columbus (yeah don't know why I thought that) Has made some of the best kids movies, just to name Home Alone and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. He's doing something right.
If by "doing something right" you mean "making soul-less, if mostly harmless, drek"....

The first Harry Potter movie was excruciating for its complete lack of visual imagination or pacing. He basically tried to cram in as much as he could that was already described verbally in the books and didn't take the slightest interpretive chance. The film was a good 20 minutes longer than it had to be for what was depicted, and is only out-done in its sheer monolithic molasses-like movement by the second film, also Columbus-directed, which did the same thing as the first film, only injecting melodramatic pauses into every conversation and plot event.

Columbus is good at slapstick comedy. Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, all passable and reasonably funny, even if Home Alone relied enormously on physical Jackass-esque laughs. None of them are particularly atmospheric or visually interesting, or even especially well-paced, which is going to be pretty darn critical in the Hobbit.

(credit where credit is due, the guy did write Gremlins and the screenplay for the Goonies)

As PJ demonstrated with LOTR and Del Toro at least conceivably with Hellboy, the Hobbit is going to need a director who isn't afraid to take risks with the material and inject a bit of themselves into the creative process to make the translation from page-to-screen work. I just don't think Columbus is that kind of director.

The first name that popped into my head is Chris Colombo. He does great kids flicks, and he will have the WETA for art direction.

Agreed.

Jackson isn't directing because of New Line cheating him out of royalties from the LOTR trilogy... even though he's still producing The Hobbit. Yeah...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if that changes though. Like I said before, he needs a hit movie.

Agreed.

Jackson isn't directing because of New Line cheating him out of royalties from the LOTR trilogy... even though he's still producing The Hobbit. Yeah...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if that changes though. Like I said before, he needs a hit movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but then what? They screw him out of royalties on these movies as well?

Agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if that changes though. Like I said before, he needs a hit movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but then what? They screw him out of royalties on these movies as well?[/QUOTE]

But he would still get paid Millions upon Millions of dollars, even if he gets cheated.

Well, he lost a lot of capital with the studios with Kong and Lovely Boners (or so the pundits say). He needs to build that back up again.

We need a director that's done fantasy before. Let's see... hey, Uwe Boll could do it! He recently made In the Name of the King so he's got some fantasy experience.
What?

Status
Not open for further replies.