Debate, lets actually discuss content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question! I'm Canadian, and I generally don't follow politics, even at home, but this morning Romney's comment about "binders full of women" has exploded all over my Internet. Can I get some context please?

edit: found some rush transcripts, but I'd like a bit more... something. Analysis, cultural context?

Question! I'm Canadian, and I generally don't follow politics, even at home, but this morning Romney's comment about "binders full of women" has exploded all over my Internet. Can I get some context please?
A voter asked: In today's economy why are women still paid less than men for the same work/job and what will you do to help change that?

Obama responded by telling the voter about the changes he's put in place and the bill he signed that does address that and help equality in pay.

Romney responded by telling the voter that for his cabinet positions all he had were male applicants, so he made his team go and look for women who were qualified until he had -binders full of women- to choose from.

edit: found some rush transcripts, but I'd like a bit more... something. Analysis, cultural context?
The question was about how the candidate would improve work equality, and Romney said when he became governor, he turned away the men that were presented for his cabinet, and asked his staff to find qualified women, who then turned up "binders full of women"

GasBandit

Staff member
This video is not wadsworth-compatible, watch it from the beginning. If you don't watch it, well, I'll summarize: these man-in-the-street interviews were conducted yesterday, 4 hours before the debate actually BEGAN.

!

Yeah really, "autotune the news" used to take weeks.
They really seemed to lose a lot of momentum once they started looking at putting their work on media networks and skipping the internet. I'm glad to see they're doing a bit more again, but I wish they'd restart autotune the news. I really think they could have millions of regular viewers if they produced a monthly or weekly autotune the news show, and they'd get quite a chunk of ad revenue from it.

I suppose it's not that interesting to them anymore though - they're probably making a chunk of money off work they're doing for other companies.

A voter asked: In today's economy why are women still paid less than men for the same work/job and what will you do to help change that?

Obama responded by telling the voter about the changes he's put in place and the bill he signed that does address that and help equality in pay.

Romney responded by telling the voter that for his cabinet positions all he had were male applicants, so he made his team go and look for women who were qualified until he had -binders full of women- to choose from.
The question was about how the candidate would improve work equality, and Romney said when he became governor, he turned away the men that were presented for his cabinet, and asked his staff to find qualified women, who then turned up "binders full of women"
Thank you Gents. Any ideas as to why this particular asinine sound-bite got so widely distributed? Or is that more a question of meme creation than politics?

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, heard this one tonight, gave me a chuckle... "Ms Crowley, put the gun down, and let Governor Romney answer the question..." "BUT IT'S A TRICK, MR PRESIDENT! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?!"

I enjoyed Mitt Romney's answer to gun control being marriage and two-parent homes.

It's like he pulled the wrong answer from his crib-sheet.

I enjoyed Mitt Romney's answer to gun control being marriage and two-parent homes.

It's like he pulled the wrong answer from his crib-sheet.
Well, if his point was that in order to raise better citizens then bettera better home life isn't really a terrible answer, even if it is only part of the answer. In fact, I would bet that Obama would agree with the basic premise (how can you not?). However, the problem is, once again, Romney says things awkwardly and in ways that seem designed to offend people.

Well, if his point was that in order to raise better citizens then bettera better home life isn't really a terrible answer, even if it is only part of the answer. In fact, I would bet that Obama would agree with the basic premise (how can you not?). However, the problem is, once again, Romney says things awkwardly and in ways that seem designed to offend people.
Because he's reading from a mental script he was taught, not because it is his actual idea/opinion.

It sounded like his answer was meant to not piss off his nra base, and then deflect by throwing out one of his sound bites of how family is good.

"Please proceed, Governor."

Heh, even Romney felt something was amiss and stuttered a little... too bad for him he didn't stop.

Thank you Gents. Any ideas as to why this particular asinine sound-bite got so widely distributed? Or is that more a question of meme creation than politics?
You mean besides the fact that "binders full of women" sounds like something Buffalo Bill would say?

Even I don't get that.
Haven't you heard? Fact-checking transcripts is just another form of liberal bias...

If he can't speak in a debate without offending people, how will he handle the rest of the world leaders? He came of as saying a big portion of the gun violence comes from single parents. Look at the big shootings in Aurora and Ft Hood, hell even Kazynski. Did they come from single parent families?

Even the problems from low income violence don't necessarily come from single families, but the environment and economic situation surrounding them. Having two parents won't magically change that. Is it a bad thing? No, obviously having a good family life with both parents will go a long way towards keeping kids out of trouble and gangs. Comments like that just make it look like he doesn't really understand whats going on and wants to blame lifestyles he doesn't approve of.

If he meant a better home life, he should have just said that. Instead he said we need more traditional marriage homes, because they're always better.

I really really wish there would have been any kind of question on Gay rights that night. To watch Romney back-track on that would have been amazing.

P.S. I know it's not an exact quote, it's the idea that Romney would use single parenting as a stance on troubled kids using guns, while standing next to a president who was raised by a single mother.

If he can't speak in a debate without offending people, how will he handle the rest of the world leaders? He came of as saying a big portion of the gun violence comes from single parents. Look at the big shootings in Aurora and Ft Hood, hell even Kazynski. Did they come from single parent families?

Even the problems from low income violence don't necessarily come from single families, but the environment and economic situation surrounding them. Having two parents won't magically change that. Is it a bad thing? No, obviously having a good family life with both parents will go a long way towards keeping kids out of trouble and gangs. Comments like that just make it look like he doesn't really understand whats going on and wants to blame lifestyles he doesn't approve of.

If he meant a better home life, he should have just said that. Instead he said we need more traditional marriage homes, because they're always better.
Obviously I'm not defending the comment, just saying I think I know what he was trying to say, which was something most of us would agree with. This has been a constant problem for Romney, his foot lives in his mouth.

Obviously I'm not defending the comment, just saying I think I know what he was trying to say, which was something most of us would agree with. This has been a constant problem for Romney, his foot lives in his mouth.
I know. My main point was that a president needs to be able to communicate properly. If he honestly can't express himself good enough so that the American people understand what he means, how will he fare with non-english speaking people. Maybe it's because he's trying to pander to the base, and doesn't necessarily believe everything he's saying. I don't know, but from what I've seen most of his presidency would be dedicated to apologizing and trying to explain what he means after others have told him what he should have said.

I really would like to vote republican again some day, but they make it so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.