Dear Dave .. about to explode

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I asked, she said yes!

..only took me a month to gather my nerve, but finally asked her out today.

Dave

Staff member
Dear Matt,

Now what was all that worrying about? Just relax, have fun and don't stress.

M

Matt²

she works as the manager at Radio Shack in the mall.. over the last month or so I've been coming in to buy capacitors to repair monitors.. and gotten to know her some, so she's familiar with me a little at least.

Today I attempted to repair one of her POS systems but it's locked down by corporate so shy of tearing it apart and voiding any warranties not to mention company policy (and possibly jeopardize her job) there wasn't a whole lot I could do.. but I came to her rescue really fast after she called. :)

ElJuski

Staff member
Sack up and give the girl a call today. If you get rejected, feel the burn, get over it, and find the next girl you like. Don't wait a month to talk to her; strike up conversation and exchange numbers. Rinse and repeat. You won't always strike gold, but you won't always need to post a thread on Halforums proclaiming the glory glory of getting a date either.

Lion tamer bla bla bla seriously, come on.

No kidding man, I mean, if she's not talking to you now and you go over to the RSHACK and talk to her and she doesn't want to talk anymore then you haven't lost anything have you? All you've done is stepped up and shown some courage. So it's a win. DO EEEET.

M

Matt²

Gahh.. life has been busy this weekend and I didn't get a chance. Her schedule changed and she's now working in the morning, so I'll have to plan for Monday prob'ly before noon. And Gilman.. need glasses like me? I DON'T have HER number. She has mine.

ElJuski

Staff member
WHY DIDN'T YOU GET HER NUMBER IN THE FIRST PLACE???

That's a warning bell right there. Make sure you do THAT next time you ask a girl out. I'd prepare myself for the inevitable "Oh I'm getting so busy right now" excuse.

M

Matt²

cause I was nervous.

just got back from R Shack.. didn't go well (at least not the way I hoped).

.. the way today is going, maybe I SHOULD have just stayed in bed?

ElJuski

Staff member
cause I was nervous.

just got back from R Shack.. didn't go well (at least not the way I hoped).
Well, hopefully this will be your realistic life lesson about how dating goes. You gotta stop being nervous, you have to start getting realistic about how these things go. Get some courage, and don't let reality slip into some fantasy. Because when you bring that way-too-high, way-too-unrealistic fantasy, all you're going to do is strike out and feel miserable.

You're not fifteen. Get back up and try again with somebody else. And keep doing it. If you need to read a book to learn how, or if you need to talk to a psychiatrist, then go for it.

I personally think that everyone can get soooo much help from therapy.

Regardless. Despite the coddling that the rest of the forums will give you, this is my realistic, hard advice: grow some balls and prepare to get bummed, beaten and bruised. You'll learn to socialize yourself with the opposite sex eventually. You just have to get the emotional crap kicked out of you first. Next time will not be five months from now. Make it sooner. Don't pine, don't act weird, just be straight forward. You like a girl and you ask for her number. Realize when she's not interested in you and move on and try again. If she has some interest in you see where it takes you. Get bummed if she's not into you, get over it and move on. Try, try again.

I was going to pos rep juski for that post but I need to "spread some more rep around first". Pff.

What he said is spot on, though.

All that nervousness and pining and second-, third- or seventh-guessing is... and believe me on this... WAY WAY WAY worse than ANY rejection you could get in real life. Seriously. You spent 5 months pining over someone when asking her out and getting rejected would have taken all of 5 minutes, and you'd have gotten over it in 2 days. One week if you were in a bad place. Tops.

Compare that to the month you spent "gathering your nerve".

Life's too short for that shit, dude.

Dave

Staff member
Worst case scenario when talking to a girl....she says no. Life goes on.

I was once turned down by a girl because she said, "I'm just used to dating better looking guys."

That hurt a little. But now 20 years later I still look like I'm in my 30's and she's a fat cow divorced twice with 3 kids. I'd go say hi but I'm not as mean as she was.

Oh man, you think you get to meet girls without getting shot down all the time?

I've been called too bald, too tall, too blonde, too smartass, too ugly, too big of a nose, too CREEPY (that one stung), too GOOD LOOKING (wtf is THAT!?)... a girl once famously rejected me when I hit on her at a party by exclaiming, too loudly for conversation with someone standing right next to you, mind you: "EW! You're gross!! I would never even touch you! Get away from mee!". Everyone in the party heard and turned around to stare.

5 hours later, the same girl, drunk-of-her-ass, wobbled over to me and then she hit on ME. Apparently she had been trying to make some other dude jealous earlier when she did her little show. She then got rejected by that other guy and decided to try if I was still interested.

I wasn't. I did laugh at her falling over, though.

You get rejected. It's part of life. You don't like everyone, so you can't expect everyone to like you. It's just how it works. You don't let it get to you.

ElJuski

Staff member
Steve Martin has this awesome bit in his memoirs Born Standing Up about the first time he was heartbroken. I think he had jut got dumped by his first girlfriend. He went to work and explained the situation to his boss, who said, "Yeah, that'll happen". The beautiful bit was Steve Martin explaining that that cheered him up, knowing that that horrible pain would be a common occurance, so much that hi boss could just chalk it up to a shrug.

But seriously, why do people play stupid games and not just say what they feel? "Hey, we should hang out sometime, let me call you later on this weekend an we'll go catch a movie." It's that simple. Everything else is BS.

Also, hell yes I've been in the same boat as everyone else. One of my favorite time was going up to these girls at the bar and one of them turns and says, "UGH, NOT YOU". She had the best poo-face I had ever seen, all scrunched up in disgust. I could go on for days talking about heartbreaks, bad dates, awkward attempts at asking girls out, horrible bruise on my ego, and everything else. You want to hear about the heartbreak I'm going through right now? I would go on about it, but it's kind of cliché standard issue.

You ain't alone, and your problem ain't that crummy. Neither is mine. So do what I do, suck it up, and go find another girl.

I was going to pos rep juski for that post but I need to "spread some more rep around first". Pff.

All that nervousness and pining and second-, third- or seventh-guessing is... and believe me on this... WAY WAY WAY worse than ANY rejection you could get in real life. Seriously. You spent 5 months pining over someone when asking her out and getting rejected would have taken all of 5 minutes, and you'd have gotten over it in 2 days. One week if you were in a bad place. Tops.

Listen to what this man is saying.

Have you read my own thread about this stuff? If not, do it. And then do exactly the opposite things I've been doing.

M

Matt²

yes, I have my own computer repair business. I'd like to own a few more non-computer related businesses, but am waiting 1: for the economy to pick up a bit more and 2: more funds to become available. Oh and I of course have a driver's license (see "I can haz speeding ticket" thread :p )...

back on topic, yeah yeah, trying to pick myself up off bootstraps, ... I'm doing what I can and trying to learn and do better, that's the best I can say, but I've had the wind knocked out of me.
(rant part edited out)

Listen to what this man is saying.

Have you read my own thread about this stuff? If not, do it. And then do exactly the opposite things I've been doing.[/QUOTE]

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."[/QUOTE]

"Didn't you play the role of the gal who had herpes in that one pharmaceutical commercial?"

Status
Not open for further replies.