[Question] Dear Canadian forumites... what the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little bit of back story, I ship dead account holders' account data to their next of kin or their NoK's lawyers, or whomever can actually pass the requirements that our legal department set up. One of those requirements is that we have to receive a government issued, official, stamped copy (in photocopy, electronically scanned, or faxed form) death certificate. We cannot accept anything other than a government issued document. We cannot accept an obituary, a statement from a funeral home, a signed letter pledging that the account holder really really is dead - I promise, or anything other than an official, government issued death certificate.

And yet, every single request I get from Ontario has something other than a government issued death cert. B.C., Alberta, Quebec - hell, even Northwest Territories - I ask for a death cert, I get a death cert. Ontario? It's like they've never heard of such a thing. It got to the point that when we were re-writing the document that lists the requirements for people, we specifically pointed out which documents we cannot accept, and to this day every request that comes in from Ontario has one of the non-accepted docs instead of a death cert. Hell, I got a request today where someone underlined the word cannot (which, when emailed to someone, gets bolded and put in red typeface), and then included one of the documents on the "cannot accept" list instead of the death cert.

Does Ontario not issue death certs or something?

When even Quebec gets it right, you know it's a problem.
Exactly. I would have thought that if any province was going to give me problems, it would be Quebec, but nope - they're fine and dandy, unless they attempt to use me as a way to practice their English, then I occasionally have to ask them to repeat the question in their native tongue.

Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, BC, the Territories all might as well be separate countries when it comes to that sort of nonsense.

Does Ontario not issue death certs or something?
They do issue them but it is generally not necessary. The death has already been recorded in the death registry so any Ontario agency just references the computer file.

All of this frustrates people like Gared, but it's all worth it to see what happens when the death is recorded incorrectly.

"Sorry Ma'am according to the computer you died 4 months ago. My sincerest condolences on the loss of your life."

I don't know. I've never died.

I do seem to remember that when my grandpa died, my dad had to print out a news paper obituary for some legal reason. Don't know if that was to get the death certificate or in lieu of one, or what.

Mississauga's a step up from Oakville (where I had to live for 6years of college), anyway. I'm moving to the east end of Toronto at the end of the month, temporarily while I am on this short term contract, and then probably back to the west end of Toronto in a few months.

There's no Swiss Chalet where we live right now. This is, perhaps, the only downside of leaving Calgary and moving here.

Status
Not open for further replies.