Export thread

Constantine

Gryfter

Gryfter

NBC's Constantine revealed

Well he certainly looks like JC.... we shall see if they can pull it off though. Speculation suggests he won't smoke though... cause smokin' is bad.....m'kay.

Dave

Dave

Huh. I had no idea they would be doing this. Are they going to ruin it like they did the Dresden Files?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If he doesn't smoke, how are they going to do the lung cancer storyline that was the bees knees?

But yeah, love the look. Let's hope the rest works. I'm not filled with hope, since David Goyer is involved.

Cog

Cog

Maybe another kind of cancer?

Dave

Dave

Maybe another kind of cancer?
I don't know. I think it would be a good thing for them to show the negative effects of smoking. I mean, Constantine isn't exactly a role model.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't know. I think it would be a good thing for them to show the negative effects of smoking. I mean, Constantine isn't exactly a role model.
Yeah, but after getting new lungs, he kinda lights a cigarette.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, but after getting new lungs, he kinda lights a cigarette.
Which says pretty much everything about him, really. New lease on life? Sod it. Let's smoke.

Dave

Dave

New lungs, same addiction.

Krisken

Krisken

New lungs, same asshole.
:troll:

Tress

Tress

So I see the thread title and think, "A Constantine show! Awesome! I wonder if it's on AMC, or HBO, or Netflix, or..."

"Oh. It's on NBC."

"I'll pass."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll give it a chance.

Gryfter

Gryfter

So I see the thread title and think, "A Constantine show! Awesome! I wonder if it's on AMC, or HBO, or Netflix, or..."

"Oh. It's on NBC."

"I'll pass."
I dunno... Dracula was pretty crazy and fun and that was NBC. Not saying it's going to be good... just that NBC isn't necessarily a death knell.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If it's good, they'll try to kill it.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

If it's good, they'll try to kill it.
But it's ConJob, he's pretty farking hard to kill.

Just ask Lucifer!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Wait are we saying that NBC = Fox now? At least stuff like Heroes gets a few seasons and if it is good and does well, it'll keep going. I would have been more worried if this was premiering on Fox.

The real question is what idiot thought a mature rated and dark comic series like Constantine should be put on the -Think of the Children- channel.

Frank

Frank

NBC airs Hannibal. That should alleviate a lot of concerns about content.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, I'm amazed at what they've gotten away with on Hannibal.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nope.

Hellblazer, like its cohort Swamp Thing, is one of those comics that I liked so much that I don't think that I'll ever like any adaptation of them to other media. Same with Animal Man.

evilmike

evilmike

New Trailer

Also,
fate.jpg

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'll say that I'm intrigued, but I'm still worried that they won't let him be as much of a bastard as he's supposed to be.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I really, really want this to be good.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like even though NBC is open to having some pretty dark stuff, the one thing you won't see John Constantine do in this series is smoke.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=102748

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looks like even though NBC is open to having some pretty dark stuff, the one thing you won't see John Constantine do in this series is smoke.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=102748
Sounds like they really wanted it, but even though you can have gore and violence, no smoking.

It's stupid.

Dave

Dave

The cancer was part of who he WAS! And they didn't sugar coat it as "smoking is cool", they made it more "smoking gives you cancer and fucking kills you".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The only way I can think to get that angle is if he's quit at this point, but it's too late and he already has cancer, so time to cook meth.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Smoking: It's worse than cutting a deal with Lucifer himself.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, it's not really Constantine then, is it?

Fuck you, NBC.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Would the FCC fine them over it?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Mighty quiet around here...

Okay, I'll go. To be clear, I liked the comics, but I'm not a hard core fan (I'm personally of the opinion that too often Ennis just feels like he's trying for shocking that doesn't actually drive the story forward). That said, this was interesting. Good effects. Didn't feel too constrained for television. Reasonably scary when it was supposed to be. And the guy playing Constantine...I know some people are up in arms over the accent, but man did he feel like Constantine. I mean, he's no Keanu, but still, really good. :troll:

I'll be curious to see how it proceeds.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Saw it, liked Matt Ryan I think he captures the character well. Liked the tone, and happy that the back story seems intact. I will be looking forward to future episodes.

Dave

Dave

I just watched the pilot last night and liked it. I'm a big fan of the movie and went into this wondering if I'd like it.

I'll give it a few weeks to see if it goes the way of the Dresden Files TV show, which was a train wreck.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Does anyone else feel like they have posts disappearing? I could have swore that I commented on this show...

Maybe it was a different thread...

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think it was the "last tv show you watched" thread.

Covar

Covar

Watched it last night. It was fine. Nothing outstanding, but good enough to keep watching it for the time being.

fade

fade

I've been wondering about this show. I enjoyed the movie (gasp!). Even though it got a lot of things wrong, it still was an entertaining movie. Sounds like it's okay, so I'll give it a try.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Watched it last night. It was fine. Nothing outstanding, but good enough to keep watching it for the time being.
This is pretty much my feeling on the show.

Null

Null

Yeah the pilot showed promise as a supernatural detective drama, so we'll see how it develops.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Bowielee

Bowielee

That was pretty damn awesome.

Covar

Covar

Well at least the good doctor managed to break John of his smoking habit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He still smokes in the show, they just can't actually show him smoking.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I kind of liked the show tonight. I feel like the character IS John Constantine from the comics, but I feel like it needs to be so much darker than it can get on network TV.

Early prediction, 2-3 seasons, tops.

Null

Null

Strong second episode. If it was on FX or SyFy or AMC I think it would be free to be a little better, a little darker, but it's off to a strong start. If the writing and acting stay as strong as they've been, this show could have a successful run.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

He still smokes in the show, they just can't actually show him smoking.
Are they actually not allowed to? Good lord.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yup, they basically have to work around it. A lot of scenes where someone else is coming in and he's just snubbing out a cigarette, or about to light one, but gets interrupted, shots behind the back where he's just finishing one.

Covar

Covar

Because it's on broadcast television and not cable. People smoking haven't been allowed on Broadcast television for quite a while now. Pretty big change from the days of cigarette sponsored cartoons.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Because it's on broadcast television and not cable. People smoking haven't been allowed on Broadcast television for quite a while now. Pretty big change from the days of cigarette sponsored cartoons.
It can't even have been that long. I mean, the Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files was only... 12 years ago...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't know if the smoking ban is a legal thing, or if it's a network mandate. I'd lean towards the latter. I don't think the same would apply to Fox. I think that characters on Family Guy and American Dad have smoked recently, though American Dad isn't on Fox anymore, and rules for animated smoking may be different.

Dave

Dave

It's actually not illegal to show smoking on TV, but they take so much crap for it by anti-smoking activists that they choose not to go through the headache.

I'm trying to find the link where I read this but for some reason it's eluding me.[DOUBLEPOST=1414993605,1414993545][/DOUBLEPOST]http://screenrant.com/constantine-tv-series-smoking/[DOUBLEPOST=1414993695][/DOUBLEPOST]http://screenrant.com/constantine-tv-show-no-smoking/

Bowielee

Bowielee

I give credit to the shows creators that they're at least doing what they can to incorporate it, especially because if they at least keep it in the show that he DOES smoke, it leaves it open to his whole deal with the devil power play when he develops cancer.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I actually think they are doing a great job with the smoking thing. It sucks the network won't let them just show it but they are making it clear he is a smoker.

Krisken

Krisken

NBC, you suck.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's not over yet. The show isn't cancelled; NBC is just hedging their bets to see if the first season gets decent ratings. One of the links on that article begins with saying that the ratings are rising.

Dave

Dave

It's not over yet. The show isn't cancelled; NBC is just hedging their bets to see if the first season gets decent ratings. One of the links on that article begins with saying that the ratings are rising.
But they also aren't making any new shows. They've totally stopped production.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But they also aren't making any new shows. They've totally stopped production.
It's not uncommon for shows to get a short first season, especially if it's a new genre for the network. Considering how late Constantine started and the amount of effort they've put behind getting it aimed at the right audience (it's getting a marathon on SyFy this weekend and they have been pushing it hard on Hulu, as well as doing stuff with it during the Thanksgiving Day Parade), it's a fair chance they just want to get some kind of data at this point.

It's not a sure thing, but it's far from dead.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Constantine may be getting a second chance, considering that it will not only be back on the air in January, but it will also be at a new time slot of 8 PM on Fridays.

Steve

Steve

NBC, you suck.
I've never forgiven NBC for cancelling "Freaks and Geeks" after the first season.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Now that I'm on winter break I got a chance to catch up. I liked their interpretation of the first issue of Hellblazer. It's good to see that they are trying to stick with the source material. It also seems like they just said screw it with the smoking and moved it to being limited instead of fully hidden. I know him smoking seems like a stupid thing to worry about, but his main storyline he's remembered for involves his cancer and chain smoking.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

That episode... with the kids who are possessed.

Kids cannot act. ARGH[DOUBLEPOST=1419976185,1419976147][/DOUBLEPOST]Also this is compounded by the fact that adults cannot write for kids.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That episode... with the kids who are possessed.

Kids cannot act. ARGH[DOUBLEPOST=1419976185,1419976147][/DOUBLEPOST]Also this is compounded by the fact that adults cannot write for kids.
Not universally true, but it probably takes actually remembering being a kid and what that was like.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Not universally true, but it probably takes actually remembering being a kid and what that was like.
Well, I don't remember being a kid, but I have been around enough kids that I know that 99% of the lines and behaviours in TV shows and movies are just... not what kids do/are like.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, the girl in Little Miss Sunshine, as bizarre as that movie was and her lines seemed weird, seemed to be the most accurate portrayal of actual children. Precocious, but not too much. Hell Wednesday Addams in the movies was written better than most child characters.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Honestly, the girl in Little Miss Sunshine, as bizarre as that movie was and her lines seemed weird, seemed to be the most accurate portrayal of actual children. Precocious, but not too much. Hell Wednesday Addams in the movies was written better than most child characters.
The Addams, of course, were the most normal family on television: Gomez and Morticia slept in the same bed.

fade

fade

the girl in the first Crow movie was pretty well written.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Addams, of course, were the most normal family on television: Gomez and Morticia slept in the same bed.
So did Herman and Lily Munster, if I recall.
Addams Family still ranks as best fictional couple of all time.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

So did Herman and Lily Munster, if I recall.
Addams Family still ranks as best fictional couple of all time.

--Patrick
Yeah, I think the Munsters were the first, and the Addams the second.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I think the Munsters were the first, and the Addams the second.
The Addams Family started 6 days before The Munsters, but it was literally the same week.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gomez and Morticia were a married couple that were still passionately in love and sexually attracted to their partner.

Those freaks.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Gomez and Morticia were a married couple that were still passionately in love and sexually attracted to their partner.

Those freaks.
And they showed nothing but positive regard to EVERYONE. It's super creepy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, the fate of Constantine is up in the air. They will not be making any further episodes for the current season, the creators are pitching for a second season, so it may get a chance.

I hope it gets renewed because I feel like it was starting to pick up and they have started introducing more of the standard DC mystical characters like Felix Faust, the Spectre, and Eclipso. I'd like to see them be able to get to characters like Deadman.

It most certainly is the most accurate of John Constantine so far outside of the comics.

It's kind of ironic that while most of DC is getting too dark, this isn't dark enough :p

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, the fate of Constantine is up in the air. They will not be making any further episodes for the current season, the creators are pitching for a second season, so it may get a chance.

I hope it gets renewed because I feel like it was starting to pick up and they have started introducing more of the standard DC mystical characters like Felix Faust, the Spectre, and Eclipso. I'd like to see them be able to get to characters like Deadman.

It most certainly is the most accurate of John Constantine so far outside of the comics.

It's kind of ironic that while most of DC is getting too dark, this isn't dark enough :p
Word is that Constantine might get another chance over at SyFy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Word is that Constantine might get another chance over at SyFy.
That rumor turned out to be just that, a rumor.

There is a huge social media push to get it renewed, so fingers crossed.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That rumor turned out to be just that, a rumor.

There is a huge social media push to get it renewed, so fingers crossed.
I didn't know it was disproved. Thanks for the head's-up.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It would probably pull in a better viewership on SyFy, where it's in less competition for a prime spot. Then again, it's basically guaranteed a cancellation after 5 years there. SyFy doesn't "do" contract renegotiation.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Sonofa.....

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/constantine-cancelled-nbc-season-2-1201491096/

Here's hoping it gets picked up by someone else....

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sonofa.....

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/constantine-cancelled-nbc-season-2-1201491096/

Here's hoping it gets picked up by someone else....
I was really hoping when I saw this in my updates that it was the opposite. Maybe a cable network will pick it up so it can be even darker. Hell, maybe Netflix will grab it. I don't think that their deal with Marvel means that they are exclusive. They still have a bunch of the DC/WB cartoon stuff up there.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe NBC will stop trying and just give all their shows to Netflix.

Dave

Dave

Netflix would at least let him smoke.

Fun Size

Fun Size

At first I was bummed, but the more I think about it, the less I care. I liked the actor as Constantine, but wasn't enjoying the standard
"monster of the week" platform. It was good when it was dealing with the big story, but in the end it lacked the teeth I wanted from it.

On the bright side, at least we're getting a Lucifer show.

No just kidding. It's still going to be a police procedural. How long until the next Marvel show on Netflix?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On the bright side, at least we're getting a Lucifer show.

No just kidding. It's still going to be a police procedural. How long until the next Marvel show on Netflix?
They get the rights to a comic series that rivals The Sandman in imagination and storytelling on a cosmic scale ... and completely waste it. I wish I hadn't looked this up after seeing your post, because everything about this show looks fucking stupid.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think what's funniest (because you either choose that or sadness) is that the networks fail to recognize what makes so many of the current genre shows so damned popular: they put themselves out there with an idea that no one has seen before. Breaking Bad, Daredevil, Orange is the New Black, Penny Dreadful, even Battlestar Galactica. Instead, they get the rights to something like no one has ever seen, and they immediately turn it into a police show, one of the most cliched choices they could have made.

"This Fall, based on the acclaimed and beloved comic book series, it's CSI: Damnation."

@Li3n

@Li3n

At first I was bummed, but the more I think about it, the less I care. I liked the actor as Constantine, but wasn't enjoying the standard
"monster of the week" platform. It was good when it was dealing with the big story, but in the end it lacked the teeth I wanted from it.
Yeah, it's not like any show has ever gotten better after the first season, after finding it's footing.

And on an unrelated note, he's a random picture:

And one more:

Fun Size

Fun Size

Yeah, it's not like any show has ever gotten better after the first season, after finding it's footing.
Fair enough, but I still don't believe that NBC would be willing to take enough of a chance to let it go where it should have. I will absolutely watch it if someone else picks it up and continues it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Go go netflix...

PatrThom

PatrThom

And on an unrelated note, he's a random picture:

And one more:

I don't think the beard was the secret to TNG's success, I think it was more the fact that they finally found a direction.
And commander Sinclair had his own role to play in the plot, and he was suited for it.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I don't think the beard was the secret to TNG's success
--Patrick
LIES... having a beard totally made every single story better by just being there... if Riker had no beard all those stories we loved from TNG would have sucked instead... BECAUSE BEARD!!!

Hint: those events coincide with the shows getting better, no one thinks they caused the improvement.

Also, i forgot how weird Riker looks clean shaven...

evilmike

evilmike

Bowielee

Bowielee

I literally got goosebumps.

And I mean literally literally, not figuratively literally.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... I gotta watch Arrow now? *sigh*

Gryfter

Gryfter

I'll take it! Matt Ryan was the best thing about Constantine and he should guest appear as him on all the DCTV shows.

So... I gotta watch Arrow now? *sigh*
Just Laurel it..... meaning fast forward through any scenes with Laurel (or any side character you don't like) in them. The plot lines are pretty simple and lose nothing from this method.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Eh, I'm fine with Laurel, though I agree she can grate at times, but it's not nearly as bad as that bratty little sister.

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH QUIT LYING TO ME.... WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH....
OK, here's what we've done
WAAAAAAHHHHHHH YOU'RE TERRIBLE PEOPLE... WAAAAAAHHHHH

fade

fade

Kids, kids. You're both right.

PatrThom

PatrThom

What.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

I was so excited. Then I found out it was animated. Then I found out they were so short. Now I'm sad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

*Shrug* Can't be any worse than his portrayal on JLA Action!