[TV] Constantine

NBC's Constantine revealed

Well he certainly looks like JC.... we shall see if they can pull it off though. Speculation suggests he won't smoke though... cause smokin' is bad.....m'kay.

Dave

Staff member
Huh. I had no idea they would be doing this. Are they going to ruin it like they did the Dresden Files?

If he doesn't smoke, how are they going to do the lung cancer storyline that was the bees knees?

But yeah, love the look. Let's hope the rest works. I'm not filled with hope, since David Goyer is involved.

So I see the thread title and think, "A Constantine show! Awesome! I wonder if it's on AMC, or HBO, or Netflix, or..."

"Oh. It's on NBC."

"I'll pass."

So I see the thread title and think, "A Constantine show! Awesome! I wonder if it's on AMC, or HBO, or Netflix, or..."

"Oh. It's on NBC."

"I'll pass."
I dunno... Dracula was pretty crazy and fun and that was NBC. Not saying it's going to be good... just that NBC isn't necessarily a death knell.

Wait are we saying that NBC = Fox now? At least stuff like Heroes gets a few seasons and if it is good and does well, it'll keep going. I would have been more worried if this was premiering on Fox.

The real question is what idiot thought a mature rated and dark comic series like Constantine should be put on the -Think of the Children- channel.

Nope.

Hellblazer, like its cohort Swamp Thing, is one of those comics that I liked so much that I don't think that I'll ever like any adaptation of them to other media. Same with Animal Man.

I'll say that I'm intrigued, but I'm still worried that they won't let him be as much of a bastard as he's supposed to be.

Dave

Staff member
The cancer was part of who he WAS! And they didn't sugar coat it as "smoking is cool", they made it more "smoking gives you cancer and fucking kills you".

The only way I can think to get that angle is if he's quit at this point, but it's too late and he already has cancer, so time to cook meth.

Mighty quiet around here...

Okay, I'll go. To be clear, I liked the comics, but I'm not a hard core fan (I'm personally of the opinion that too often Ennis just feels like he's trying for shocking that doesn't actually drive the story forward). That said, this was interesting. Good effects. Didn't feel too constrained for television. Reasonably scary when it was supposed to be. And the guy playing Constantine...I know some people are up in arms over the accent, but man did he feel like Constantine. I mean, he's no Keanu, but still, really good. :troll:

I'll be curious to see how it proceeds.

Saw it, liked Matt Ryan I think he captures the character well. Liked the tone, and happy that the back story seems intact. I will be looking forward to future episodes.

Dave

Staff member
I just watched the pilot last night and liked it. I'm a big fan of the movie and went into this wondering if I'd like it.

I'll give it a few weeks to see if it goes the way of the Dresden Files TV show, which was a train wreck.

Does anyone else feel like they have posts disappearing? I could have swore that I commented on this show...

Maybe it was a different thread...

Watched it last night. It was fine. Nothing outstanding, but good enough to keep watching it for the time being.

fade

Staff member
I've been wondering about this show. I enjoyed the movie (gasp!). Even though it got a lot of things wrong, it still was an entertaining movie. Sounds like it's okay, so I'll give it a try.