Considering trading my Jeep for something else

fade

Staff member
I currently have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door). I like this car. Let's get that out of the way. But I'm not one of those bros who goes around chest-thumping and saying "It's a Jeep thing". Whatever. It's a car. I've been fairly Jeep loyal for a long time because they last forever, and they keep their value. And because I used to be very into outdoors life. But you get older, you have kids, things change. I don't find myself really ever going out in the thing.

On top of that, the thing gets horrible gas mileage. That's not an enormous issue, because I live 5 miles from work. So, unless I'm going to a 100 eMPG electric, I'm not going to notice a giant gas savings. I did the math. It's also terribly, terribly common around here. I can literally get into double digits counting just the 4 door Wranglers on my 5 mile commute. No joke.

The car I'm considering is the Mini Cooper S. I test drove one, and I was bowled over. It's fast and sporty, and it sips gas. Being a BMW, though, it has reliability issues. My Jeep is nearly paid off, and it's trade value is huge. I think I paid 24000 in '10 for it, and the trade I've been offered is 19000. When I lived in Boston, they were fairly common, but they're nearly non-existent in Houston.

Anyway, point is, I can do an even steven swap for the S I've picked out (year old used--I'm not paying that depreciation). Just looking for opinions.

You will probably not regret the swap too much, but you'll eventually miss the jeep. The BMW isn't going to last as long, meaning you'll buy another car sooner. Gas is expensive, so it might be a wash, but if you do the math considering the cost of the two vehicles and their lifespan and maintenance, you might find the jeep is still a good value even with the worse gas mileage. So gas savings probably isn't a good reason for the change, except in the short run.

But they are zippy little cars, and fun to drive.

I'm looking at a Cooper, but I'm looking at the mini wagon one, and while I'm not looking to be able to get into one any time soon, I felt the wagon version would make up for the smaller cargo size of the other models.

That said, I think you should try sitting in a Forester (2014's are 25k), just to see how it feels on you.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
My wife has the 500L. It's nice enough but it's no mini.[DOUBLEPOST=1384440569,1384440016][/DOUBLEPOST]Well the Abarth approaches Mini Cooper S fun, but at 10000 more dollars.

My bro has an older Mini Cooper S convertible. If you ever have transmission issues contact me before they try to charge you thousands to fix the transmission.

But really, if the Jeep is paid for, and you still like it, drive it till the wheels fall off. There is nothing like free driving.

fade

Staff member
Not paid for. Getting there. Actually more like a year left. Out of warranty. Needs tires.

Necronic

Staff member
I didn't know you lived in Houston.

Also if your commute is over 15 miles I would suggest getting a new car. Jeeps are not meant for highway miles. I know you already came here thinking about a new car, but I saw some people pushing the other direction so I thought I would push back.

If I were suggesting a car it would be the Toyota Camry. Big enough for family, lasts forever, super cheap maintenance, comfortable, stylish.